View Poll Results: Is Danny Green a system player?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

30 68.18%
  • No

14 31.82%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL no way he starts over JJ Red

he'd be a great fit for CLE thats where I had him going tbqh

Just because Green can start in a handful of teams don't mean he's no system player.

he would struggle to get on the floor on most teams
    Red s a better offensive player but Green is superior defensively. For a team that was average defensively last year it he would more than likely start, whether at 2guard or SF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Red s a better offensive player but Green is superior defensively. For a team that was average defensively last year it he would more than likely start, whether at 2guard or SF.
    I'd even argue that. Thy're both catch and shoot players, dependent on others to set up their looks, but in the four seasons that Green has been a full time starter, he's made more three pointers than JJ at a higher percentage, and is NOT a manikin on defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    99.9% of NBA players are (or should be) "system" players. The 0.1% would be Jordan, LeBron, and a few others in the history of the league. Even Jordan and LeBron need(ed) players around them to win. The super-superstar players are, in essence, themselves "the system." A system is a plan: a strategy and the tactics needed to achieve said strategy.

I would estimate a good 20-30% of the league is made up of delusional pseudo-stars. Pseudo-stars don't know their limits. Likewise, they don't have coaches who discipline them for trying to play outside the system.

Likewise, it should be added that a system (the strategy) is (or should be) dependent upon the players. The collective talents should be organized and utilized in the most effective way. Coaches who have one way of doing things (the Triangle offense for example) are not necessarily serving the best interests of their teams.

The reason Popovich has succeeded is that discipline travels well. Pop is the only coach in the league who demands respect. He dishes it out pretty evenly. Players on the Spurs learn that deviating from the system (pseudo-star mode) is not acceptable. The Spurs' system incorporates unique talents (not super-superstars). Ginobili's creativity is built into the system, but if he turns the ball over 11 times during a game that's unacceptable. Parker's basket attacks are part of the system, but if he's not firing on all cylinders it looks pretty lame as he tries to beat younger, faster players off the dribble.

Building a team around a super-superstar can even be tricky. Fortunately, the Spurs don't have that problem. Kawhi has the potential to be a super-superstar, but he's not yet. If he naturally becomes that, great! We don't need Leonard or Aldridge or Green to be anyone other than who they are. This is a solid team built to win as a team. The new players will conform or they'll be benched. Pop may indeed be altering "the system" to harmonize with a new era of players.

The discipline on defense is "always have your teammate's back" and work your butt off (effort). The discipline on offense is "good to great"...ball movement and making the other team work...a battle of will and attrition. Both have in common a simple principle: team first.
    Last edited by Kawhi 5-0; 08-22-2015 at 12:15 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny is for sure a system player

- He cannot create any offense for himself as evident by his shooting percentages inside the arc and his struggles to dribble confidently in the face of pressure.

- Has shown no ability to run p&r and struggles to get to the rim and finish .

- offense is based on getting open shots by moving without the ball for catch and shoot jumpers. 94% of his threes are assisted and 82% of his two's

He is a system player who will move the ball, play high energy defense and space the floor with three point shooting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Danny Green of today is not the same Danny Green from 2011 or whenever we got him. He's not a system player anymore, but he was when we got him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL no way he starts over JJ Red

he'd be a great fit for CLE thats where I had him going tbqh

Just because Green can start in a handful of teams don't mean he's no system player.

he would struggle to get on the floor on most team
    s
    This might be one of the worst takes ive ever seen on ST.

My Team
    Charlotte Bobcats
    Post Count
    Danny is for sure a system player

- He cannot create any offense for himself as evident by his shooting percentages inside the arc and his struggles to dribble confidently in the face of pressure.

- Has shown no ability to run p&r and struggles to get to the rim and finish .

- offense is based on getting open shots by moving without the ball for catch and shoot jumpers. 94% of his threes are assisted and 82% of his two's

He is a system player who will move the ball, play high energy defense and space the floor with three point shooting.
    all of this, tbh

spurshomer thinking green starts over guys like Re when he can't put the ball on the floor and has to be spoonfed all his shots

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Um green for sure starts over Red

Devensively it is not even close and Danny is just as effective as a shooter

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I swear we had this exact topic just a couple months ago. Do we really need to rehash?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This might be one of the worst takes ive ever seen on ST.
    It's from hater, you'll get used to it.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to be fair, I think Bosh fouled him there

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A good system player is important. You look for them at the right times__

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes...not that there's anything wrong with it.

Thread Information