Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dubs won it all last season with basically Bogut as their only center... and he didn't even play much in the Finals, IIRC...

Speights, Ezeli are both listed as Center for them... they're both undersized, and averaged a grand total of under 3 rebounds per game, and < 1 block per game.

Heck, both Boris and West rebounded substantially better than them last season...

They now added Jason Thompson, but I think it's more as insurance for Bogut's constant injury problems.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These articles have been coming out for over 10 years now! That's pretty ing ironic.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    nigs have been saying the Spurs are old for a decade now

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Typical cliche/vanilla take. Sure, center is not as top heavy as it was in the 90's, but only the Celtics and Mavs clearly lack a current legit starter or someone projected to become one.

Valanciunas has his limitations, but he's one of the better low post scorers/two way rebounders in the league. Forget the money and focus on percentage of cap. Once it explodes past $100M next season and his extension kicks in, they'll be paying him less than 15% of the cap.

The concern with West playing center isn't so much post defense as it is defensive rebounding/rim protection. Keep in mind, Duncan is only going to average roughly 28 mpg, which leaves plenty of minutes where West (and Aldridge) will have to defend starters, too.
    I feel like we'll see West paired with Duncan/Aldridge more often than him being paired with Boris or Bnner. Aldridge is a good rebounder and Kawhi is an elite rebounding SF, I don't think this will be an issue. Plus players like Diaw/Green/West and even Mills are good at tipping the ball out to their teammates if they can't secure it

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think last year we were in need of these articles.
    Good thing they are coming back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was clearly talking about the fact that neither West nor Diaw defensive rebounds or protects the rim well enough to credibly play center.
    They play against an opponent. They do not play against your imaginary ideal of what you want a C to be.

Name me the backup C that we need to worry about. Ezeli, Thompson, Montiejunas, Wright, Smith, Adams, or Lyles? I'll take West and Bobo over that trash. Marjanovic has a decent shot then better than most of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really not that concerned with the lack of a backup five. If Anderson gets the final rotation spot, the rebounding will be fine, and smart defense can limit shots in the paint even without a rim-protector.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dubs won it all last season with basically Bogut as their only center... and he didn't even play much in the Finals, IIRC...

Speights, Ezeli are both listed as Center for them... they're both undersized, and averaged a grand total of under 3 rebounds per game, and < 1 block per game.

Heck, both Boris and West rebounded substantially better than them last season...

They now added Jason Thompson, but I think it's more as insurance for Bogut's constant injury problems.
    Bogut didn't play a major role in the Finals, but he did overall.

Ezeli is clearly a legit center, both in size (6-11 265) and game.

Rebounds per game is largely irrelevant, since it's highly cir stantial. Percentage is far more telling . . .

Last season - career: Ezeli: 16.6 - 15.8, Speights: 14.5 - 15.6, Diaw: 9.4 - 10, West: 13.1 - 13.1.

I feel like we'll see West paired with Duncan/Aldridge more often than him being paired with Boris or Bnner. Aldridge is a good rebounder and Kawhi is an elite rebounding SF, I don't think this will be an issue. Plus players like Diaw/Green/West and even Mills are good at tipping the ball out to their teammates if they can't secure it
    It could eventually come to that against elite teams and in the playoffs, but it would be easier rotation wise if it didn't.

They play against an opponent. They do not play against your imaginary ideal of what you want a C to be.

Name me the backup C that we need to worry about. Ezeli, Thompson, Montiejunas, Wright, Smith, Adams, or Lyles? I'll take West and Bobo over that trash. Marjanovic has a decent shot then better than most of them.
    Defensive rebounding/protecting the rim are the primary jobs of any center.

Once again, you display a blatant lack of reading comprehension. With the exception of Motiejunas (who, for the record, will split minutes at power forward with Jones; Capela will be their primary backup center and Favors/Pleiss will be the Jazz'), it's not about post defense.

Sliver and Crack
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look, to call a spade a spade, key players being old is a wildcard when predicting for next year. It's not impossible that one or more of Tim, Manu, Boris, West fall off a cliff next season. I wouldn't bet on it, but it's more probable for one of them to face a dramatic decline than, say, Klay Thompson, Blake Griffin, Westbrook or Harden. Just the way of things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Rebounds per game is largely irrelevant, since it's highly cir stantial. Percentage is far more telling . . .

Last season - career: Ezeli: 16.6 - 15.8, Speights: 14.5 - 15.6, Diaw: 9.4 - 10, West: 13.1 - 13.1.
    It's not really cir stantial. Really good rebounders do happen to average way more rebounds per game than ty rebounders, especially when the sample size is 82+ games. It's true that minutes do matter, and that's why there's "per 36" stats. Under those, Ezeli does look better, but the fact is Kerr could barely play him. Everybody and their mother are playing small these days.

But even taking you at your word, you're saying "legit center" Ezeli, who barely broke the 10mpg mark last season despite that team having ample garbage time (and after starting over 40 games when the preacher was the coach), barely rebounds at a higher rate than "not legit center" David West? Heck, both Ayres and Baynes averaged over 20 DRB% last season for us.

This really goes to what I'm saying. Either West can be passable on that role against 2nd tier opponents or the Dubs really didn't need a legit 2nd center (which would make the Thompson signing make sense, as they don't really have a passable backup to Bogut).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plus we did get a 2nd tier backup center... did we give up on that Euro guy yet?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not really cir stantial. Really good rebounders do happen to average way more rebounds per game than ty rebounders, especially when the sample size is 82+ games. It's true that minutes do matter, and that's why there's "per 36" stats. Under those, Ezeli does look better, but the fact is Kerr could barely play him. Everybody and their mother are playing small these days.

But even taking you at your word, you're saying "legit center" Ezeli, who barely broke the 10mpg mark last season despite that team having ample garbage time (and after starting over 40 games when the preacher was the coach), barely rebounds at a higher rate than "not legit center" David West? Heck, both Ayres and Baynes averaged over 20 DRB% last season for us.

This really goes to what I'm saying. Either West can be passable on that role against 2nd tier opponents or the Dubs really didn't need a legit 2nd center (which would make the Thompson signing make sense, as they don't really have a passable backup to Bogut).
    With the odd exception, even the worst rebounding bigs are going to average a decent amount if given enough minutes. That's why average is largely cir stantial and irrelevant.

Ezeli was injured early in the season and with Speights shooting out of his mind and the team rolling, there wasn't really any minutes available. But as the season wore on, his role expanded. He may be a similar defensive rebounder to West, but he's a significantly better offensive one and rim protector. He's also a more than passable backup, which is why there has been speculation that he's in line to receive a 4/$32-40M contract.

I'm not criticizing the West signing, I'm just saying, it's not as hand in glove as it's been trumpeted as being. The fact that the league plays smaller now doesn't mean West can credibly play center; not because of his lack of size, but because his game isn't suited for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the odd exception, even the worst rebounding bigs are going to average a decent amount if given enough minutes. That's why average is largely cir stantial and irrelevant.

Ezeli was injured early in the season and with Speights shooting out of his mind and the team rolling, there wasn't really any minutes available. But as the season wore on, his role expanded. He may be a similar defensive rebounder to West, but he's a significantly better offensive one and rim protector. He's also a more than passable backup, which is why there has been speculation that he's in line to receive a 4/$32-40M contract.

I'm not criticizing the West signing, I'm just saying, it's not as hand in glove as it's been trumpeted as being. The fact that the league plays smaller now doesn't mean West can credibly play center; not because of his lack of size, but because his game isn't suited for it.
    Plus West fell on our laps... I don't think even the Spurs thought he would do what he did.

I think we're gonna give Eurostiff a good look in the 1st half of the season, and if that doesn't work out, there's time to make a move mid-season to shore that position up if needed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spursfan takes:

last year it's not fair golden state and clippers are gots only reason we lost was cause of lots and lots of injures

this year: another article calling the spurs old and injury prone how dare they media treating los spurs unfairly again

spursfan keep up the
    Charlotte

Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plus West fell on our laps... I don't think even the Spurs thought he would do what he did.

I think we're gonna give Eurostiff a good look in the 1st half of the season, and if that doesn't work out, there's time to make a move mid-season to shore that position up if needed.
    We'll see about NameLess Eurostiff.. in any case, I feel he's oversized

We also should not underestimate the impact of a mismatch in the players perceived as Scrubs.. they might have career nights

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spursfan takes:

last year it's not fair golden state and clippers are gots only reason we lost was cause of lots and lots of injures

this year: another article calling the spurs old and injury prone how dare they media treating los spurs unfairly again

spursfan keep up the
    I've been wondering are you seriously a bobcats fan talking about the Spurs?
    Last edited by Horse; 08-25-2015 at 12:40 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We'll see about NameLess Eurostiff.. in any case, I feel he's oversized

We also should not underestimate the impact of a mismatch in the players perceived as Scrubs.. they might have career nights
    Can't really say I've seen much of him, tbh.... I just rather go into the season with low expectations and hopefully he'll surprise us...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No question, for a fourth big making the minimum, they couldn't have possibly done better and culture wise he'll be a great fit.

I don't think they'll make a move for a center or that Marjanovic will be given a look, outside of garbage time, or an injury/game off to a rotation big. Still, within' that, they'll see enough to determine whether he's an NBA player or not and whether it's worthwhile to invest in him going forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It could eventually come to that against elite teams and in the playoffs, but it would be easier rotation wise if it didn't.

Defensive rebounding/protecting the rim are the primary jobs of any center.

Once again, you display a blatant lack of reading comprehension. With the exception of Motiejunas (who, for the record, will split minutes at power forward with Jones; Capela will be their primary backup center and Favors/Pleiss will be the Jazz'), it's not about post defense.
    I never said anything about post defense, chachi. When I said they play against opponent, I meant they only have to do better than an opponent and not meet your idealizations of how things should work. Please name me all the wonderful above the rim shot blockers that are riding the NBA pine. And post defense most certainly will play a role with as much as Pop plays his starters.

West can log respectable minutes against guys like Griffin and Green coming off the bench. David West is a very good defensive rebounder. He is also smart and is quick to cut off penetration and cover ground on the pnr. Defensively both he and Aldridge are similar although Aldridge has better size. Bobo is also very good in space and vs pnr. We also have a new C project.

This is not Bonner and Blair we are talking about here.

My Team
    Charlotte Bobcats
    Post Count
    must of touched a nerve with the truth exposing post, two ad homs already

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never said anything about post defense, chachi. When I said they play against opponent, I meant they only have to do better than an opponent and not meet your idealizations of how things should work. Please name me all the wonderful above the rim shot blockers that are riding the NBA pine. And post defense most certainly will play a role with as much as Pop plays his starters.

West can log respectable minutes against guys like Griffin and Green coming off the bench. David West is a very good defensive rebounder. He is also smart and is quick to cut off penetration and cover ground on the pnr. Defensively both he and Aldridge are similar although Aldridge has better size. Bobo is also very good in space and vs pnr. We also have a new C project.

This is not Bonner and Blair we are talking about here.
    You quoted me and then have the audacity to tell me what I was talking about, when it's clear you still don't know. Unbelievable.

The fact that West's game isn't suited for playing center (and no, he's not a a "very good defensive rebounder") doesn't change, whether it's against Cousins or Ezeli; it has nothing to do with low post defense.

I'll say it in bold this time: I'm not suggesting that it wasn't a good signing or that it'll be fatal, but there's clearly reason to believe it could be cause for concern.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You quoted me and then have the audacity to tell me what I was talking about, when it's clear you still don't know. Unbelievable.

The fact that West's game isn't suited for playing center (and no, he's not a a "very good defensive rebounder") doesn't change, whether it's against Cousins or Ezeli; it has nothing to do with low post defense.

I'll say it in bold this time: I'm not suggesting that it wasn't a good signing or that it'll be fatal, but there's clearly reason to believe it could be cause for concern.
    So you have nothing to say. That's nice. You don't seem to understand what I am saying. Specifically reread:

I meant they only have to do better than an opponent and not meet your idealizations of how things should work.
    So against Cousins post defense doesn't matter? Okey-dokey.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you have nothing to say. That's nice. You don't seem to understand what I am saying. Specifically reread:

So against Cousins post defense doesn't matter? Okey-dokey.
    What's so difficult about this to understand?

You're obsession about individual post defense (which I've repeatedly said is no more than a minor concern), when I'm talking about rim protection and defensive rebounding. They're two completely different things.

Thread Information