Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    link

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/san-ant...160012727.html

long story short Spurs have second oldest team in the league blabla Tim blabla Manu blabla Tony blabla West

we are doomed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim is 40, manu is 38 and tony is around 34 now but plays like a 55 year old.

ty writing. Tim was very productive in the last two months of the RS last season and he was barely getting any touches and was averaging around 12ppg. I don't think manu is going to experience a significant drop off. Parker hopefully accepts a 7 FGA per game kinda role and the spurs are golden.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are old. Water is wet. We need the ing season to start already.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are old. Warriors are soft. Clippers are conference finals virgins. Thunder won't stay healthy. Rockets won't get fouls in the playoffs. Grizzlies can't score. Pelicans suck. Jazz have Trey Burke. Mavs are a bunch of rejects. No one wants to play for the Suns. Blazers got cucked. Lakers won't go anywhere until Kobe retires. Who cares about the Nuggets. Kings have a bunch of snakes. Minnesota isn't aware they have a basketball team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be interesting to see how many similar articles to this there is total. Gotta be over 200 at least. Probably far more tbh. Pundits have been saying the Spurs are too old since like 2007 lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are old. Warriors are soft. Clippers are conference finals virgins. Thunder won't stay healthy. Rockets won't get fouls in the playoffs. Grizzlies can't score. Pelicans suck. Jazz have Trey Burke. Mavs are a bunch of rejects. No one wants to play for the Suns. Blazers got cucked. Lakers won't go anywhere until Kobe retires. Who cares about the Nuggets. Kings have a bunch of snakes. Minnesota isn't aware they have a basketball team.
    This was insanely hilarious!!!!!
    So true!!!!
    Cliches here we come!!!!!

My Team
    Charlotte Bobcats
    Post Count
    spursfan takes:

last year it's not fair golden state and clippers are gots only reason we lost was cause of lots and lots of injures

this year: another article calling the spurs old and injury prone how dare they media treating los spurs unfairly again

spursfan keep up the

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why does it have to be a "brutal" injury?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have been "old" for half a decade now, and it still hasn't slowed them down. This is because Pop is the best in the league in managing minutes, even if it means losing a few extra games, or drawing the ire of "substantial sanctions" from the NBA.

A lot has been made about the Spurs supposed "loss of depth", but in my opinion, the only major piece missing is dat dude Beli. Joseph and Baynes are easily replaceable. That being said, the Spurs will easily be able to stretch the minutes even further with the new pieces they acquired or brought back. Kawhi and Danny are due for big minutes this season. Aldridge should be a sponge for minutes as long as he stays healthy. Then you've got a perfectly good, albeit slightly old, West coming off the bench who will be able to spell Tim or LMA if they are injured, resting, or in foul trouble. And that's not even dipping into the bench (Mills, McCallum, Simmons, Anderson...maybe Jimmer).

, the Spurs bench (Mills, Ginobili, Anderson/Simmons, Diaw, West) could compete as a starting 5 in the East. That's bound to pay dividends.

TL;DR...the Spurs may be old, but they are better equipped to handle it than ever before. Just gotta stay healthy and have things clicking by April, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had a friend call the Spurs old back in 03 to be honest, never gets old.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If spurs are 2nd oldest who is the oldest?

Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot has been made about the Spurs supposed "loss of depth", but in my opinion, the only major piece missing is dat dude Beli.

TL;DR...the Spurs may be old, but they are better equipped to handle it than ever before. Just gotta stay healthy and have things clicking by April, tbh.
    A Center.. we don't have any except 40 y/o Timmy and an euro giant.

With that said, hope things are clicking and healthy by April too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A Center.. we don't have any except 40 y/o Timmy and an euro giant.

With that said, hope things are clicking and healthy by April too.
    Seems like its really the only gap on the roster, but I'm not too worried tbh. The new age NBA doesn't really requires having a big center like it used to... , even Baynes was used sparingly last season because he was often too big and slow to matchup. I fully expect Diaw and West will be able to hold down the paint off the bench, with Bonner getting spot minutes to stretch the floor, and Boban hopefully being ready when we need size against the Dwight Howards of the league.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I started a thread before about how taking the average age of a team isn't very accurate, but you should weigh each player's age to minutes played (ie. a really old player who doesn't play shouldn't count against the team). Here is the thread
    http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234582

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems like its really the only gap on the roster, but I'm not too worried tbh. The new age NBA doesn't really requires having a big center like it used to... , even Baynes was used sparingly last season because he was often too big and slow to matchup. I fully expect Diaw and West will be able to hold down the paint off the bench, with Bonner getting spot minutes to stretch the floor, and Boban hopefully being ready when we need size against the Dwight Howards of the league.
    Fourth wing is the biggest gap because of the lack of a proven player or player who's an obvious fit.

The whole "you don't need a big center anymore" notion misses the point. You still need the attributes most often associated with them: rim protection and rebounding; especially defensive. Virtually every power forward or hybrid playing center today provides at least one of those two things.

Neither West nor Diaw do so well enough to credibly play the position. It's possible the firepower of the bench renders it mostly moot or Pop finagles the rotation so that they don't play a ton together (the downside would be limiting Duncan-Aldridge minutes together), but it's clearly a concern going in.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fourth wing is the biggest gap because of the lack of a proven player or player who's an obvious fit.

The whole "you don't need a big center anymore" notion misses the point. You still need the attributes most often associated with them: rim protection and rebounding; especially defensive. Virtually every power forward or hybrid playing center today provides at least one of those two things.

Neither West nor Diaw do so well enough to credibly play the position. It's possible the firepower of the bench renders it mostly moot or Pop finagles the rotation so that they don't play a ton together (the downside would be limiting Duncan-Aldridge minutes together), but it's clearly a concern going in.
    I agree with you. Unfortunately, you, I and very few others seem to think it's an issue. If I had a dollar for the "Diaw/West are centers argument, I would have several dollars.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any team with LaMarcus Aldrige and Kawhi Leonard on the front line is on to something. The Spurs have that and a lot more. Last time I checked both of those players are in their prime.

Believe..I'l Have another Biernutz's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The guy who wrote that story just did a cut and paste of all the old story's of the AARP Spurs.
    The writer is just lazy to come up with a fresh story about the NBA. Just rehash...............

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim is 40, manu is 38 and tony is around 34 now but plays like a 55 year old.

ty writing. Tim was very productive in the last two months of the RS last season and he was barely getting any touches and was averaging around 12ppg. I don't think manu is going to experience a significant drop off. Parker hopefully accepts a 7 FGA per game kinda role and the spurs are golden.
    Wow, that's 11X the age you post at.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We should be able to get away with the Diaw / West pairing defensively
    NOR, HOU , SAC and maybe the Jazz are the only Western teams where we might be forced to keep one of TD or LMA on the court but I think our bench is going to come in and just blow teams out this year.

Tbh i cant wait to see the Diaw / West combo. The combination of shooting, defense, ball movement and smarts these bigs provide is going to be devastating and more than make up for any lack of rim protection. With Wests passing and range i expect an even better version of our 2014 bench - With Diaw / west / manu / mills the ball will fly around the court. Kawhi will have some run with those 4 if we need rebounding and if KA or Simmons can shoot 40% from 3 and drive and kick then lookout
    Last edited by ceds; 08-22-2015 at 07:17 AM.

Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This.
    The team looks great but is far from a guaranteed le

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Spurs play NBA teams and not oyur roster perfection ideal. Most teams do not have a starting center worth a . Valincuinius or whatever has name is makes $15m and he is a spare much less a dominant big. What backup 5 is going to give us issues? Ezeli or Adams? Both teams like to go small.

Worst case is we play Bobo and West short minutes as the "Turd Towers" and that just assumes that Euroleagues top C gives us nothing. Those TT are better that what we had before mind you with Bonner involved with Bobo or Blair.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs play NBA teams and not oyur roster perfection ideal. Most teams do not have a starting center worth a . Valincuinius or whatever has name is makes $15m and he is a spare much less a dominant big. What backup 5 is going to give us issues? Ezeli or Adams? Both teams like to go small.

Worst case is we play Bobo and West short minutes as the "Turd Towers" and that just assumes that Euroleagues top C gives us nothing. Those TT are better that what we had before mind you with Bonner involved with Bobo or Blair.
    Typical cliche/vanilla take. Sure, center is not as top heavy as it was in the 90's, but only the Celtics and Mavs clearly lack a current legit starter or someone projected to become one.

Valanciunas has his limitations, but he's one of the better low post scorers/two way rebounders in the league. Forget the money and focus on percentage of cap. Once it explodes past $100M next season and his extension kicks in, they'll be paying him less than 15% of the cap.

The concern with West playing center isn't so much post defense as it is defensive rebounding/rim protection. Keep in mind, Duncan is only going to average roughly 28 mpg, which leaves plenty of minutes where West (and Aldridge) will have to defend starters, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Typical cliche/vanilla take. Sure, center is not as top heavy as it was in the 90's, but only the Celtics and Mavs clearly lack a current legit starter or someone projected to become one.

Valanciunas has his limitations, but he's one of the better low post scorers/two way rebounders in the league. Forget the money and focus on percentage of cap. Once it explodes past $100M next season and his extension kicks in, they'll be paying him less than 15% of the cap.

The concern with West playing center isn't so much post defense as it is defensive rebounding/rim protection. Keep in mind, Duncan is only going to average roughly 28 mpg, which leaves plenty of minutes where West (and Aldridge) will have to defend starters, too.
    Typical moving the goalpost dodge.

We were talking about 4th bigs. Now you are talking starters.

When West is in he will be dealing with the oppositions second string. You bring up starers. . .

Try and keep up and address reality.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Typical moving the goalpost dodge.

We were talking about 4th bigs. Now you are talking starters.

When West is in he will be dealing with the oppositions second string. You bring up starers. . .

Try and keep up and address reality.
    I was clearly talking about the fact that neither West nor Diaw defensive rebounds or protects the rim well enough to credibly play center.

Thread Information