Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    And also "The only disciplinary action I was aware of were team-related issues, insubordination of coaches and missing practice."

Peterson claims he told Briles he was dismissed from the team...

Help me out here, who is telling the truth?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Big time inconsistencies...

"I was contacted by Coach Petersen at Boise State in spring 2013 and he told me he had a player from Texas who needed to get closer to home and that he thought our program would be a good spot for him," Briles said in a statement released by Baylor. "I know and respect Coach Petersen and he would never recommend a student-athlete to Baylor that he didn't believe in. In our discussion, he did not disclose that there had been violence toward women (by Ukwuachu), but he did tell me of a rocky relationship with his girlfriend which contributed to his depression. The only disciplinary action I was aware of were team-related issues, insubordination of coaches and missing p

"After Sam Ukwuachu was dismissed from the Boise State football program and expressed an interest in transferring to Baylor, I initiated a call with coach Art Briles," Petersen said in the statement. "In that conversation, I thoroughly apprised Coach Briles of the cir stances surrounding Sam's disciplinary record and dismissal."

Briles does not even indicate that the slime had already been dismissed if the first meeting is assumed to be initiated by Peterson. WTF am I missing here? This is an immediate inconsistency beyond all the other trouble.
    from earlier post..

Baylor fans are ing delusional for defending this.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    I think Briles slipped a bit, but I'm not sure about a cover up as much as it seems like a lot of gross incompetence and lack of diligence by the university as a whole. I guess well know more in the coming weeks.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Cougars
    Post Count
    And also "The only disciplinary action I was aware of were team-related issues, insubordination of coaches and missing practice."

Peterson claims he told Briles he was dismissed from the team...

Help me out here, who is telling the truth?
    The two aren't mutually exclusive. The issues with the ex girlfriend didn't come up until the trial in Waco, which means neither university caught it. TM dug up information about it for their article, but it was sparse info at best. No part of Boise's statements or information come across as anything but covering their asses after the fact, which they're only doing to try to protect themselves from all the reactionary people that want someone's head just because they couldn't predict the future. Nobody knew that mother er was going to rape someone at the time. We'll see if there was information that someone intentionally let slip in order to allow Ukwuachu to go to Waco. It sucks that they couldn't protect that little girl, because that should be the number one job of learning ins utions. Honestly, I'm unsure how we just assume everyone should have done something different because we know the outcome.

Again, if there's a cover up or if the football program strong-armed anyone into doing something they wouldn't normally do, then heads should roll for it. And college disciplinary boards should not be performing criminal investigations. The student privacy law is badly misused by schools.

The NCAA needs to come up with a better way to punish coaches if they do this as well. I read an article in the last month or so that ing Dave Bliss got hired somewhere as a basketball coach.

As a father of 4 daughters, I know these predators are out there, and it scares the out of me. You send your daughter off to college and you worry like ; you hope and pray they use sound judgement and realize what can happen to them. But you do so hoping you are putting them in a place where they will be surrounded by people who will look out for them. Briles didn't do that, he should feel ashamed for what happened to this young woman.
    Agreed +1000. Well said. Everyone involved in allowing this to happen should be questioning their actions, because the only important thing is making sure they are never facilitating a predator.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    The two aren't mutually exclusive. The issues with the ex girlfriend didn't come up until the trial in Waco, which means neither university caught it. TM dug up information about it for their article, but it was sparse info at best. No part of Boise's statements or information come across as anything but covering their asses after the fact, which they're only doing to try to protect themselves from all the reactionary people that want someone's head just because they couldn't predict the future. Nobody knew that mother er was going to rape someone at the time. We'll see if there was information that someone intentionally let slip in order to allow Ukwuachu to go to Waco. It sucks that they couldn't protect that little girl, because that should be the number one job of learning ins utions. Honestly, I'm unsure how we just assume everyone should have done something different because we know the outcome.

Again, if there's a cover up or if the football program strong-armed anyone into doing something they wouldn't normally do, then heads should roll for it. And college disciplinary boards should not be performing criminal investigations. The student privacy law is badly misused by schools.

The NCAA needs to come up with a better way to punish coaches if they do this as well. I read an article in the last month or so that ing Dave Bliss got hired somewhere as a basketball coach.

Agreed +1000. Well said. Everyone involved in allowing this to happen should be questioning their actions, because the only important thing is making sure they are never facilitating a predator.
    Direct conflict of statements:

Briles indicates he was not told the kid was dismissed from the football team when he talked to Peterson.

Peterson says he told him the kid was dismissed.

Somebody is lying.

All the other crud is just beginning to spill forth. Ken Starr and Baylor's first investigation of the kid was so shoddy the judge would not allow it in court. Baylor presented a polygraph to the judge (independently given to Baylor by the kid as a part of evidence of THEIR investigation.).. It's really bad.

But above this is a lie.
    And I would hope Baylor did not expect the kid to rape again. Although they knew he was going to trial for it and stated he would play indicating they thought it would not hold up despite all of what the prosecutors had? Which was a whole lot.
    Last edited by pgardn; 08-24-2015 at 05:25 PM.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    This stuff is obviously one sided...
    But there is a load of it.

https://docs.google.com/do ent/d/1...ilebasic?pli=1

Along with the basketball stuff under Bliss?

Man... I had no idea. I had no idea how Bliss was involved till a football player from Texas came back home.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    This stuff is obviously one sided...
    But there is a load of it.

https://docs.google.com/do ent/d/1...ilebasic?pli=1

Along with the basketball stuff under Bliss?

Man... I had no idea. I had no idea how Bliss was involved till a football player from Texas came back home.
    I think it's crazy how Baylor can go from the bottom of the toilet to the top of the conference in all sports basically overnight. Something other than the Brazos has smelled really rotten in Waco now for the better part of a decade.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

is getting real.

My Team
    Houston Cougars
    Post Count
    Briles indicates he was not told the kid was dismissed from the football team when he talked to Peterson.

Peterson says he told him the kid was dismissed.

Somebody is lying.
    Or you're just filling in the blanks because you have a narrative you want to satisfy. Nothing you posted says that Briles denied knowing the student had been dismissed from the team.

And you said "rape again", as though he had done it before. Did he do it before?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

Buh bye Briles.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Highly doubtful.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Or you're just filling in the blanks because you have a narrative you want to satisfy. Nothing you posted says that Briles denied knowing the student had been dismissed from the team.

And you said "rape again", as though he had done it before. Did he do it before?
    No read the articles. There is a direct contradiction.

And good catch on the rape again. There is absolutely no indication he raped anyone while at Boise. My mistake and a bad one. I am trying to be fair as I liked seeing Baylor do well. I got to see my brother in law suffer when they beat TCU.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Houston Cougars
    Post Count
    I think it's crazy how Baylor can go from the bottom of the toilet to the top of the conference in all sports basically overnight. Something other than the Brazos has smelled really rotten in Waco now for the better part of a decade.
    You're clearly not paying attention. Baylor was bad at football since Grant Teaff retired and they couldn't find a decent coach, and it didn't turn around until they got Robert Griffin. They have been good at all the other sports. It's not like they're suddenly getting the best draft classes in the nation. They were 32 this year, behind UT, Oklahoma, and all of the SEC. Tech had one more four-star recruit this year than Baylor did.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    You're clearly not paying attention. Baylor was bad at football since Grant Teaff retired and they couldn't find a decent coach, and it didn't turn around until they got Robert Griffin. They have been good at all the other sports. It's not like they're suddenly getting the best draft classes in the nation. They were 32 this year, behind UT, Oklahoma, and all of the SEC. Tech had one more four-star recruit this year than Baylor did.
    I've paid attention just fine, especially when the program was found to be especially filthy in the early 00s.

That breakthrough came during the 2011-12 school year, *now referred to as “The Year of the Bear”, when Baylor set a new NCAA record for the highest total of combined wins (129) among a university’s football, men’s and women’s basketball, and baseball programs.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbel...nds-in-sports/
    It's a great story about how they cleaned house and came out on top. I think Briles is an incredible coach.

it's just too quick and too huge a turnaround for me. I've got no proof but I think it's still really rotten there somewhere.

My Team
    Houston Cougars
    Post Count
    I've paid attention just fine, especially when the program was found to be especially filthy in the early 00s.
    It was worse than especially filthy, but it was mostly Dave Bliss. The basketball program under Bliss was the worst I've ever heard of, maybe in any sport. The only thing that saved Baylor from the death penalty was that they found the violations in their own investigations and turned everything over without trying to cover anything up. They also found violations in their tennis program and volunteered all of it. It's one reason I don't think the athletic department would dare to try to hide anything about this case. I think the investigation by the school was horrible, but it's something colleges have been doing a lot lately, and there are federal laws that outline the practice. It's sickening, but it's a discussion that has its place away from athletics.

Scott Drew isn't the greatest coach, but he volunteered to take over the Baylor program and put his name on it when it was at its lowest point. One would think he wouldn't risk doing that if he were planning on cheating to rebuild it.

But none of Baylor's sports were "bottom of the toilet" except for football, which didn't get really bad until after Chuck Reedy was fired as Teaff's replacement and they just had terrible luck hiring coaches. Steve Smith and Kim Mulkey had been at the university for some time before the Bliss violations and had taken good programs and made them better. Baylor's track team had always been a national power.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    It was
    But none of Baylor's sports were "bottom of the toilet" except for football
    Mens basketball had one .... one.... tournament appearance between 1951 and 2007. That's FIFTY years of mediocrity before being tourney regulars.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Womens basketball has been to the tourney 14 straight years now dating back to 2001.

Before that the only two appearances ever were in '76 & 77.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    The obvious here is that Baylor is some sort of exception in college FB.

I think because of the Baptist heritage people are blowing up. Nick Saban taking that kid from Georgia, Jerrah and his continual reliance on "reforming" good football players, FSU and its repeating problems with players...

Charlie Strong actually having to put No Guns, and Respect Women in writing? These kids are spoiled brats turning criminals aided by old men because they play a game well. Starts in Junior High it seems. And I sound like a crotchety old fart who can't do without that Saturday. And Sunday.

The obvious here is that Baylor is some sort of exception in college FB.

I think because of the Baptist heritage people are blowing up. Nick Saban taking that kid from Georgia, Jerrah and his continual reliance on "reforming" good football players, FSU and its repeating problems with players...

Charlie Strong actually having to put No Guns, and Respect Women in writing? These kids are spoiled brats turning criminals aided by old men because they play a game well. Starts in Junior High it seems. And I sound like a crotchety old fart who can't do without that Saturday. And Sunday.
    Think it has a lot more to do with what happened after the incident given what they already knew about the player. The victim was treated like , had her scholly reduced, had her attacker remain in her courses, etc etc. If BU cut him loose after the rape this whould not have blown up like it did, instead they were up to a few months ago expecting him to play.

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    briles lose his job over this? yeah right. only thing that matters is the scoreboard.

Thread Information