Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/art-bri...203410911.html

...he's ed. Your move, Baptists. God is watching.

Post Count
    I would be absolutely stunned if he lost his job... it probably won't happen... further illustrating the point Texas Monthly made.

My Team
    Mississippi State Bulldogs
    Post Count
    "This story comes with the familiar odor of a striver program that has finally reached the top – and is willing to sell plenty of its soul to stay there."

Seems pretty accurate. Somewhere Splits is laughing...

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Nope. Someone will lose their job, but it won't be Art.

Unless they find 5 dead hookers in his basement.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Can't help but think they'll burn Waco and as many people as it takes before they fire Briles.

Quote at the end sums it up well, imo. They're winning too much now.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Briles needs Tiger to win that ty tournament this weekend.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Big time inconsistencies...

"I was contacted by Coach Petersen at Boise State in spring 2013 and he told me he had a player from Texas who needed to get closer to home and that he thought our program would be a good spot for him," Briles said in a statement released by Baylor. "I know and respect Coach Petersen and he would never recommend a student-athlete to Baylor that he didn't believe in. In our discussion, he did not disclose that there had been violence toward women (by Ukwuachu), but he did tell me of a rocky relationship with his girlfriend which contributed to his depression. The only disciplinary action I was aware of were team-related issues, insubordination of coaches and missing p

"After Sam Ukwuachu was dismissed from the Boise State football program and expressed an interest in transferring to Baylor, I initiated a call with coach Art Briles," Petersen said in the statement. "In that conversation, I thoroughly apprised Coach Briles of the cir stances surrounding Sam's disciplinary record and dismissal."

Briles does not even indicate that the slime had already been dismissed if the first meeting is assumed to be initiated by Peterson. WTF am I missing here? This is an immediate inconsistency beyond all the other trouble.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Briles needs Tiger to win that ty tournament this weekend.
    Did not even think of that.
    So we hope for a slow sports weekend to let this stew?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    http://deadspin.com/the-baylor-footb...hea-1723776958

This is deeper than just Briles.
    Big Ken Starr steps up to the plate.

My Team
    LSU Tigers
    Post Count
    All this that FSU, Auburn, Baylor, etc... have swept under the rug and gotten away with just makes me angry that we kicked RP and the Badger off the team for smoking weed. I doubt any other coach in the SEC would get rid of legit All American talent like that except maybe Mark Richt. Can't hate on Les Miles for doing the right thing, though. TM would probably be a statistic in New Orleans if he hadn't been kicked out of school.

College sports are a cesspool.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I'm not a big fan of 20/20 hindsight, it's hard to know what someone is going to do.

I think most of this issue hinges on what was said between Briles and Peterson. If Peterson said something to the effect of this kid is violent and might be a danger to others, then Briles used really bad judgement and should be held accountable. If Peterson downplayed this kids past and told Briles he is a good kid or something to that effect then I'd say Briles was given bad information. Anything in between is too gray to fire him over. If it gets too deep, you can bet Briles will quit, he isn't Joe Paterno.

The bad judgement was that he didn't let the court system get satisfied before engaging with this kid in coming to Baylor, if he did then the second incident would not have happened. Well, at lease it probably would not have happened at Baylor, he probably does it somewhere else.

As a father of 4 daughters, I know these predators are out there, and it scares the out of me. You send your daughter off to college and you worry like ; you hope and pray they use sound judgement and realize what can happen to them. But you do so hoping you are putting them in a place where they will be surrounded by people who will look out for them. Briles didn't do that, he should feel ashamed for what happened to this young woman.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Brian T. Smith with no regard for human life.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    If Peterson pushes this and the girl's lawyer comes forward quickly it could be really tough on more than a few at Baylor and in Waco. If it sits, dust gathers as football starts. Who do you trust here, Peterson or Briles? And is it possible they both work out a miscommunication excuse peace offering...

The TM article was just disgusting to read. The issue wasn't just taking the kid in, but sweeping the fact that he then raped a fellow student athlete under the rug. And Briles is far from the only one complicit in this. Ken Starr has some serious explaining to do as well. Then you have Waco PD not doing their job right, as well as every member of the local press down there ignoring the issue. It took an outsider doing some digging for this whole thing to come to light.

Briles won't lose his job though. That's the ed up part, because if they were still a perennial loser this would be used as an excuse to get rid of him.

My Team
    Baylor Bears
    Post Count
    The jury recommended probation, and the judge sentenced him to 180 days in county? For rape? What the is going on?

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    The jury recommended probation, and the judge sentenced him to 180 days in county? For rape? What the is going on?
    Yeah even though it's 10 years felony probation that's pretty ridiculous.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Yeah even though it's 10 years felony probation that's pretty ridiculous.
    Someone posted on this other forum that the Judge came from a Baylor family and is a Baylor grad.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Someone posted on this other forum that the Judge came from a Baylor family and is a Baylor grad.
    I'm not a lawyer, but from what others have surmised, once the jury came back with probation the judges hands were tied. Judge gave him the harshest sentence he could considering the jury.

That's dumb as . The judge gave the harshest sentence possible given the cir stances.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I'm not a lawyer, but from what others have surmised, once the jury came back with probation the judges hands were tied. Judge gave him the harshest sentence he could considering the jury.
    The jury recommended 8 years in prison and probation. The judge gave 10 years probation, but the prison sentence only kicks in if he violates his probation. It's bull .

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Cougars
    Post Count
    Allowing Ukwuachu to transfer could be a forgivable mistake. Briles said he believes in second chances, and sometimes cutting a kid from a program forces him to grow up. It's not like he had a history of rapes. He punched through a window while he was drunk. There are guys that turn their lives around after that.

That said, the cover up is the part that always gets people into trouble, and the part that pisses me off. The investigation by the university was a joke. The coaches seemed to think that the outcome of this was going to go based on the horrible investigation by the university. Why federal law has universities acting in place of law enforcement I'll never know, because it's designed to protect women on campus, and the effect is just the opposite.

If it was incompetence, someone should be fired. If it was willful deceit to protect the football program, a lot of people should be fired. If Briles covered up, he should be gone. If he was just keeping quiet because Baylor's lawyers told him not to mention it, then who the knows? I wish someone would grow a goddamn backbone and do what's right.

At least the law enforcement part got it as right as they could. They did a much better job of gathering evidence than the school did. Now the victim's lawyers can make Baylor regret not handling this better from the start. If the money they're raking in from football is enough to cover it, then you'll see more of this from Baylor going forward.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    The jury recommended 8 years in prison and probation. The judge gave 10 years probation, but the prison sentence only kicks in if he violates his probation. It's bull .
    They didn't recommend prison and probation, they recommended prison BUT that it be probated. Judge's hands were tied after that.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Allowing Ukwuachu to transfer could be a forgivable mistake. Briles said he believes in second chances, and sometimes cutting a kid from a program forces him to grow up. It's not like he had a history of rapes. He punched through a window while he was drunk. There are guys that turn their lives around after that.

That said, the cover up is the part that always gets people into trouble, and the part that pisses me off. The investigation by the university was a joke. The coaches seemed to think that the outcome of this was going to go based on the horrible investigation by the university. Why federal law has universities acting in place of law enforcement I'll never know, because it's designed to protect women on campus, and the effect is just the opposite.

If it was incompetence, someone should be fired. If it was willful deceit to protect the football program, a lot of people should be fired. If Briles covered up, he should be gone. If he was just keeping quiet because Baylor's lawyers told him not to mention it, then who the knows? I wish someone would grow a goddamn backbone and do what's right.

At least the law enforcement part got it as right as they could. They did a much better job of gathering evidence than the school did. Now the victim's lawyers can make Baylor regret not handling this better from the start. If the money they're raking in from football is enough to cover it, then you'll see more of this from Baylor going forward.
    This is old but more in depth than some articles.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/article/silence-at-baylor/

And Briles gave the 2nd chance based on information that is directly inconsistent with another coach's recommendation and evaluation that Briles claims he Was not given. Either Briles or Peterson is lying, this is clear. So I don't see how the transfer is forgivable if Briles himself has indicated " if we had known..." According to Peterson, they did know. Someone is lying.

And of course there are so many more issues with his whole deal as noted by yourself and other posters.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Cougars
    Post Count
    This is old but more in depth than some articles.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/article/silence-at-baylor/

And Briles gave the 2nd chance based on information that is directly inconsistent with another coach's recommendation and evaluation that Briles claims he Was not given. Either Briles or Peterson is lying, this is clear. So I don't see how the transfer is forgivable if Briles himself has indicated " if we had known..." According to Peterson, they did know. Someone is lying.

And of course there are so many more issues with his whole deal as noted by yourself and other posters.
    More's coming from this, for sure. It seems shameful on the surface that this was buried for so long. Baylor should have been forthright with the info just to avoid the mere appearance of impropriety IMO. The only good that I can see having come from the relative silence is that the jury pool wasn't poisoned before there was a trial. That's a small blessing, as victims rarely get justice in cases like this. Since you can't predict the future, making sure to allow the legal system to work makes this a bigger win than a lot of these types of cases we hear about.

I guess I don't understand yet what information Peterson claims to have shared that would have made this such a big deal, because "previous violence involving a female student" as the TM article states is misleading at best. The article itself suggests that the issue of punching the window was NOT related to why he was kicked off the team, but was information that was available at a later time. That seems like kind of shoddy journalism. It's easy to look at it and start hand-wringing with 20/20 hindsight, but I don't think that's particularly fair.

Football coaches are focused on football, so I can even sort of understand why you don't just lash the Phil Bennett statement around the university's neck and toss them overboard because nobody at this point knows what he was told or what he even knew. And ultimately, it's the rapist who's responsible for the rape. I'd much rather go after anyone and everyone in the university that tried to cover up the rape, if that occurred at any point.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    More's coming from this, for sure. It seems shameful on the surface that this was buried for so long. Baylor should have been forthright with the info just to avoid the mere appearance of impropriety IMO. The only good that I can see having come from the relative silence is that the jury pool wasn't poisoned before there was a trial. That's a small blessing, as victims rarely get justice in cases like this. Since you can't predict the future, making sure to allow the legal system to work makes this a bigger win than a lot of these types of cases we hear about.

I guess I don't understand yet what information Peterson claims to have shared that would have made this such a big deal, because "previous violence involving a female student" as the TM article states is misleading at best. The article itself suggests that the issue of punching the window was NOT related to why he was kicked off the team, but was information that was available at a later time. That seems like kind of shoddy journalism. It's easy to look at it and start hand-wringing with 20/20 hindsight, but I don't think that's particularly fair.

Football coaches are focused on football, so I can even sort of understand why you don't just lash the Phil Bennett statement around the university's neck and toss them overboard because nobody at this point knows what he was told or what he even knew. And ultimately, it's the rapist who's responsible for the rape. I'd much rather go after anyone and everyone in the university that tried to cover up the rape, if that occurred at any point.
    Simply because Briles has clearly indicated that if he had known he would not have been at Baylor. The "Oh Lord No, we did not know this" statement? " you will have to find out who said this (Peterson) and ask them" And Peterson directly opposes what Briles was given. Someone is lying. And to me this clearly indicates that Briles would never had accepted the kid at Baylor, No second chance. This is clear to me.

Phil Bennett knew that a guy who he had said would be on the field was going to be tried for rape. So you go in front of boosters and say he WILL play. There is no lying evident here, just bad judgement. And possibly that Bennett felt sure the kid would be found not guilty. That's all I can see directly. One could assume Bennett knew that the University and committed power in the community could get the kid off, but I won't go that far.

Thread Information