Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hill was the last of the no nonsense coaches, imo. Victim of not changing enough with the times. Just my recollection from long ago; maybe a bit hyperbolic.
    Hill was a dapper dandy who wore expensive suits, and constantly threw players under the bus, a la George Karl.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can you elaborate on what Houston win? Was it the game after their 6-8 record? Or the Ellie game winning Hou game?
    The first one.

It is what it is. Mark in Austin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hill was the last of the no nonsense coaches, imo.
    I agree. In the '95 playoffs, he really made me focus on basketball, kept me on the straight and narrow. - Dennis Rodman

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why was bob hill fired?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. In the '95 playoffs, he really made me focus on basketball, kept me on the straight and narrow. - Dennis Rodman
    That actually made me laugh out loud.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The one after they got blown out by Utah on NBC to fall to 6-8. timvp had a great story about it; I think he posted it in a thread about an article by Simmons or maybe Zach Lowe about how close the Spurs came to firing Pop.

That's why it was so cool seeing Pop dancing like a madman at the river parade that year (see the credits at the end of this video below)

He must have felt if he lost his job with the Spurs that year, it might have been it for him in the NBA, as he was still blamed a lot for the Bob Hill situation at the time. But I'd like to think Larry Brown or Don Nelson would have hired him again as an assistant and he would have gotten a second chance to be a head coach eventually.
    I think he'd have gone back to being just a GM, not fired from the franchise altogether.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no defense, Rodman was doing whatever he wanted (on and off the court), and I think he was pretty arrogant

As I recall, most of the team and staff wanted Hill gone after the playoffs the previous year. I wanted him gone when he wouldn't double HO and Rodman was leaving the perimeter to get rebounds. Robinson suffered a humiliating series not just because of Hakeem, but also because of Hill and Rodman.

Who is this guy, again? travis2's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hill was a dapper dandy who wore expensive suits, and constantly threw players under the bus, a la George Karl.
    I still remember...every effing time a TO was called and the camera went to Hill, he would stand up, adjust his tie, and smooth his hair back with both hands...

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Calling out players is how many old school coaches did it. That doesn't really fly so much in today's NBA full of spoiled players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apart from the behind-the-scenes intrigue . . .

Pop basically thought that Hill couldn't (or wouldn't) coach tough enough defense and that the Spurs couldn't win big without playing that kind of D.
    From one of the owners' reps (not me - the rep told me this though), this is exactly the reason. No defense. And if you guys remember, those were the days when great defense really WAS the determining factor.

I have always remembered the conversation with the rep because I disagreed with the decision. I had enjoyed Hill's coaching (kind of like enjoying D'Antoni's in retrospect). The rep told me that Hill was fired because "he had lost the team" - that quote was attributed to Pop himself, and because he only coached offense - "only half the game".

I remember at the time arguing that "well, defense is only half the game too, and that is all that Pop coaches"...but I was wrong, totally. Pop DID emphasize defense much more than Hill ever did, but the fact that he changed the Spurs' offense over the years according to rule and personnel changes convinced me just how wrong I had been.

Plus, as others have aptly pointed out, Hill never went anywhere else either.
    Last edited by EVAY; 08-27-2015 at 05:32 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The "you have lost the team" is a big deal, apparently, and I remember Pop trying to fire himself a couple of years ago because he thought that about himself. Holt basically told him to go back to the bench and keep coaching and Pop did. I don't really know what changed that made things so much better (other than Tim turning the clock backwards and Holt finally starting to bring in some decent folks around Tim), but I haven't heard anything but love songs from players about Pop for the last few years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have always heard David and AJ wanted him out bad. It makes sense when you find out David and AJ were the two Spurs who were trying to fire the team up before that Houston win in 1999 that saved Pop's job (there was a lot of talk the team was about to replace him with Doc Rivers).

Sean Elliott too. Hated hill. Big reason? Immediately after getting knocked out by Utah, Hill came in the room and started saying David Robinson needed to do more and failed us.

Apparently the big three then went to Pop the days after and said his ass needed to go, pop fell on the sword 18 games in and took the blame.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Calling out players is how many old school coaches did it. That doesn't really fly so much in today's NBA full of spoiled players.

The guy was a putz a terrible coach. People formerly in the media that are close to Pop, explained how the players commonly thought he was a terrible game plan and X's and O's coach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't seem to fly too well back then, either.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other old timers can speak to this with more certainty, but the long-repeated story about the Bob Hill firing is that several veteran Spurs asked Popovich to make the change and he did so without throwing those guys under the bus.

Whether it was instigated by the players or by Popovich and other management people, the truth is that Hill's team got its ass kicked by Utah in the West Semifinals in 1996 (losing by 20, 30, 15, and 23) despite a 59-win regular season and home court advantage in that series. After the debacle of the 1995 West Finals, I think many associated with the Spurs had begun to discover that Bob Hill's polish and talk didn't really do much when it came to getting results against quality teams in the playoffs. So, whether the firing was instigated by the players or by management (or by some combination), at the point that it went down, the Spurs were an aging team with a broken superstar and didn't look to have a realistic chance to get over the hump against good teams in the playoffs to win a le. Firing Hill at that point made sense, even if the timing was a little dirty. The 3-15 start gave management some additional cover.

And the fact that Bob Hill hasn't been able to find NBA jobs (much less NBA success) since then is probably at least some proof that the choice was the right one for the organization. I frankly doubt that Bob Hill would have been able to develop the kind of relationship with Tim Duncan that Pop did and I think that relationship may be the most important aspect of Pop's reign.
    Meh. Spurs FO didn't help the cause TBH. David didn't have near the cast that TD did. Now for that series, the Jazz was a better team. They had a REALLY good defense, and were a 55 win team. The 4-2 SA loss had less to do with Bob Hill as it did with the crap the FO (Pop and Co) put on the floor. Great timing for Pop to come in and coach. Top 10 player of all time with arguably a top #1 draft pick of all time. The west was loaded when David was around. Pop is a great coach, no doubt, but to say that Hill wasn't done dirty, is... not correct. Put Tim out there with trash and people would be calling for Pop's head during playoff failures.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh. Spurs FO didn't help the cause TBH. David didn't have near the cast that TD did. Now for that series, the Jazz was a better team. They had a REALLY good defense, and were a 55 win team. The 4-2 SA loss had less to do with Bob Hill as it did with the crap the FO (Pop and Co) put on the floor. Great timing for Pop to come in and coach. Top 10 player of all time with arguably a top #1 draft pick of all time. The west was loaded when David was around. Pop is a great coach, no doubt, but to say that Hill wasn't done dirty, is... not correct. Put Tim out there with trash and people would be calling for Pop's head during playoff failures.
    Man I disagree. Hill was a good offensive coach, but he didn't give a crap about defense.

and as as far as what he had to work with, I agree a little bit. If I'm not mistaken, there was no cap and small market teams struggled to compete for FA's, but i would be willing to bet that team goes seven or wins if pop had them the whole year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hill got fired because the Spurs had a better coach. The rest is color commentary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is a great coach, no doubt, but to say that Hill wasn't done dirty, is... not correct.
    I disagree. Pop had to get rid of him & he took full responsibility for the bad hire. I don't think he got extra pay for adding coaching duties to his resume either. The results speak volumes.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    David Robinson
    Keith Van Horn
    Sean Elliott
    Mario Ellie/Jaren Jackson
    Avery Johnson

would have been 2nd round fodder at best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop said after losing to Utah that he wanted to change to a tougher mindset and one modeled after Utah.
    As GM. He could only dictate that to a small degree, but it wasn't under his full control and influence. When he made the change after the season started (18 games in) with David going down after the 6th game, I thought that was bad form on Pop's part. I've always wondered if, after David's injury, Pop felt like he could control tanking the season better if he were coaching, but that might be too skeptical a theory. For sure, he wanted to coach, but his player leadership was certainly unhappy. Bob Hill's style and will was no where near the Sloan/Pop model. Plus, since his former coach (Egan) had been an assistant there for two years -(brought in by GM Pop), it must have been enticing to coach with his old coach.
    At the time the firing seemed suspect as David came back from his injury I think on Pop's second game as HC. It was like, wow they fired the guy with his best player injured and now that player is coming back. At that point all of us long time fans were suffering from PTSD from all the nut job coaches that had come through the Spurs in the prior 10 years: John Lucas, Jerry "Tarkington", Larry Brown, Bob Weiss and Mo McHone. It was like, , here we go again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait, you think Pop is an example of coaches who spoil players? Um, ok.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait, you think Pop is an example of coaches who spoil players? Um, ok.
    Figure out what the modifier "so much" means and then don't get back to me.

Pop Rules
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing no one has mentioned was Mario Elie. He has signed w the Spurs in 98. Pop wanted a champion on the team. Mario wanted another bling. After the Jazz blowout, he went off on a profanity laced tirade directed at the players. The team was not doing what Pop was telling them to do. Won in HOU the next evening and the rest is continued history. We all owe Mario a major props, otherwise, Doc would have taken over and success could of happened, but not to the level the Spurs have had.

Thank you Mario.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The "you have lost the team" is a big deal, apparently, and I remember Pop trying to fire himself a couple of years ago because he thought that about himself. Holt basically told him to go back to the bench and keep coaching and Pop did. I don't really know what changed that made things so much better (other than Tim turning the clock backwards and Holt finally starting to bring in some decent folks around Tim), but I haven't heard anything but love songs from players about Pop for the last few years.
    It was after the 2005-06 season.

Thread Information