Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CNN’s Double-Standards on Debates

For decades, mainstream U.S. news outlets have bent over backwards to appease conservatives and avoid the stigma “liberal media,” but there has been no similar accommodation for progressives, as Jeff Cohen notes about CNN’s handling of the upcoming Democratic debate.

By Jeff Cohen

At the CNN-sponsored Republican Party debate last month at the Reagan presidential library, one of the three panelists CNN selected to question the candidates was conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt, affiliated with the proudly right-wing Salem Radio Network. But at Tuesday’s upcoming Democratic Party debate, CNN is not planning to include a single progressive advocate among its panel of four questioners.

It’s clear that who gets to pose questions has impact on the tenor of the debate. For example, Hewitt used September’s Republican debate to declare that President Obama’s “knees buckled” over Syria and that every Republican candidate was “more qualified than” Hillary Clinton.

Hewitt pressed Jeb Bush from the right over his comment about making sure guns are not in the hands of the mentally ill:

“Where does it go from what you said last week, how far into people’s lives to take guns away from them?”

Along with Hewitt, the panel at CNN’s GOP debate was composed of two journalists CNN presents as neutral or objective: CNN anchor Jake Tapper and CNN correspondent Dana Bash. (Hewitt’s appearance was reportedly part of an agreement by which CNN and the right-wing Salem Media company are teaming up on three GOP presidential debates.)

At CNN’s upcoming Democratic debate, the panel is to be composed of four journalists CNN presents as neutral: CNN’s Bash and three CNN anchors (Anderson Cooper, Don Lemon, and Juan Carlos Lopez of CNN en Espanol.) Glaringly missing from this proposed lineup is an unabashed progressive advocate.

There are many qualified journalists for this seat — from respected progressive media ins utions that haven’t taken sides in the Democratic primaries (like The Nation or Mother Jones, to name just two).

Today, the online activism group RootsAction.org (which I cofounded) launched a one-sentence pe ion to CNN: “For the sake of basic fairness and balance, you should add to your panel an unapologetic progressive for Tuesday’s debate.”

https://consortiumnews.com/2015/10/0...ds-on-debates/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    after the show their can call the hookers because they are just like them
    they get bought

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For decades, mainstream U.S. news outlets have bent over backwards to appease conservatives and avoid the stigma “liberal media,” ...
    Lol

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No trump. Nobody will watch that snoozefest

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    It's already the cuckfest of the century.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Sanders ting all over Hillary? As much as I don't like Trump, I'd love to see him make her cry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's already the cuckfest of the century.
    Rand and Ronnie aren't there so nah that can't be right.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Already better than listening to Cuckald Dump, Christie Christina, Jeb Bsh, Ted Cruz, Dr. Ben Coonson

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Iraq Iraq Iraq

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dems are so ed. 40% of the panel are Republicans. Shillary is basically a Republican. O'Malley is incoherent. Sanders is fumbling and doesn't know how to talk foreign policy.

This country is sooooo screwed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, Bernie needs a nap

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shillary is now defending the demolishing of Libya. LMAO pretending they're "democratic"

WTF?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    O'Malley would make Cuckald stutter his tan off

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy Chaffee.

English, do you speak it mother er?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Our greatest ally Israel"

cyberwarfare

China

Webb, go yourself you ignorant got.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cooper says thirty seconds for all and cuts That dude off at 5 seconds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, climate change as biggest national security threat. in re

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dems with the really weak bench here.

Mr. McGoo and Shillary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, climate change as biggest national security threat. in re
    http://www.defense.gov/News-Article-View/Article/612710

DoD Releases Report on Security Implications of Climate Change

DoD News, Defense Media Activity

PRINT | E-MAIL | CONTACT AUTHOR
    WASHINGTON, July 29, 2015 — Global climate change will aggravate problems such as poverty, social tensions, environmental degradation, ineffectual leadership and weak political ins utions that threaten stability in a number of countries, according to a report the Defense Department sent to Congress yesterday.

The Senate Appropriations Committee requested the report in conjunction with the Defense Appropriations Act for Fiscal Year 2015, asking that the undersecretary of defense for policy provide a report that identifies the most serious and likely climate-related security risks for each combatant command and the ways those commands integrate risk mitigation into their planning processes.

Fragile States Vulnerable to Disruption
    The report finds that climate change is a security risk, Pentagon officials said, because it degrades living conditions, human security and the ability of governments to meet the basic needs of their populations. Communities and states that already are fragile and have limited resources are significantly more vulnerable to disruption and far less likely to respond effectively and be resilient to new challenges, they added.

“The Department of Defense's primary responsibility is to protect national security interests around the world,” officials said in a news release announcing the report’s submission. “This involves considering all aspects of the global security environment and planning appropriately for potential contingencies and the possibility of unexpected developments both in the near and the longer terms.

“It is in this context,” they continued, “that the department must consider the effects of climate change -- such as sea level rise, shifting climate zones and more frequent and intense severe weather events -- and how these effects could impact national security.”

Integrating Climate-Related Impacts Into Planning
    To reduce the national security implications of climate change, combatant commands are integrating climate-related impacts into their planning cycles, officials said. The ability of the United States and other countries to cope with the risks and implications of climate change requires monitoring, analysis and integration of those risks into existing overall risk management measures, as appropriate for each combatant command, they added.

The report concludes the Defense Department already is observing the impacts of climate change in shocks and stressors to vulnerable nations and communities, including in the United States, the Arctic, the Middle East, Africa, Asia and South America, officials said.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bernie just did Hillary a solid.

Idiot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Our greatest ally Israel"

cyberwarfare

China

Webb, go yourself you ignorant got.
    Dude is embarrassing himself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're all too ing old and out of touch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're all too ing old and out of touch.
    I don't see any of them talking about Reagan.... Oops

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That whole pandering to BLM was embarrassing

Thread Information