My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm gotta put together a gaming PC more or less on the cheap, and the i3-6320 looks great (2C/4T, 3.9 GHz, 47W TDP). for about $150...

Plus the B150 mobos are like $80 bucks.

When are those i3s coming on sale? Nothing on NewEgg or Amazon yet.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm gotta put together a gaming PC more or less on the cheap, and the i3-6320 looks great (2C/4T, 3.9 GHz, 47W TDP). for about $150...

Plus the B150 mobos are like $80 bucks.

When are those i3s coming on sale? Nothing on NewEgg or Amazon yet.
    Don't tell you're putting an i3 with that Gigabyte GTX 970, it'll bottleneck that . I have tried simulating a very fast Haswell i3 (3.8 GHz) by disabling cores but leaving HT on with my Xeon and my GPU usage on my GTX 970 never gets above 85% in GTA V. And this is with 8MB of L3 cache, while i3s have 3MB or 4MB depending on whether you're getting a 61xx or a 63xx model. If you're doing a build with say a GTX 960 or GTX 950 then an i3 is a great pairing. Definitely stay away from all AMD cards with an i3, their DirectX11 drivers are with lower end CPUs. I mean they're really bad, to the point a ing GTX 750 Ti significantly outperforms an R9 280 when there's a lot of being drawn to the screen at once when paired with a Haswell i3. But damn, $80 for B150 boards? Good B85 boards are like $50-$60. Those chips are officially launched now, but I'm sure OEMs like DELL, HP, and so on are getting first crack at them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't tell you're putting an i3 with that Gigabyte GTX 970, it'll bottleneck that . I have tried simulating a very fast Haswell i3 (3.8 GHz) by disabling cores but leaving HT on with my Xeon and my GPU usage on my GTX 970 never gets above 85% in GTA V. And this is with 8MB of L3 cache, while i3s have 3MB or 4MB depending on whether you're getting a 61xx or a 63xx model. If you're doing a build with say a GTX 960 or GTX 950 then an i3 is a great pairing. Definitely stay away from all AMD cards with an i3, their DirectX11 drivers are with lower end CPUs. I mean they're really bad, to the point a ing GTX 750 Ti significantly outperforms an R9 280 when there's a lot of being drawn to the screen at once when paired with a Haswell i3. But damn, $80 for B150 boards? Good B85 boards are like $50-$60. Those chips are officially launched now, but I'm sure OEMs like DELL, HP, and so on are getting first crack at them.
    It's gonna be 1080p gaming (actually 1920x1200), so I'm planning to put a 4GB GTX 960. Should still run circles around a PS4, right?

I also read Skylake comes with a much improved implementation of Hyperthreading. (http://www.myce.com/news/skylake-cpu...ormance-77011/)

I'm not planning to overclock, so getting a Z170 board makes no sense. The drag with the B85 was it only had 4 USB 3.0 ports, and PCIe 2.0 for the chipset. But the B150 now has up to 6 USB3.0 and PCIe 3.0.

There's also H170 boards for around $90 too, those normally include a PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 connector, but other than that, there's not a lot of difference I can tell.

I'm trying to build this on the cheap. I priced a i5 4460 build (with a 256GB SSD + 1TB HD, 16GB RAM, H97 mobo, case + PSU) at $850 on Amazon, all Prime, but including taxes.

If I skip the SSD and put a 3TB drive instead, it's about $800. But the 4460 tops out at 3.4GHz... so I'm like :\

With the skylake i3 it looks like it can drop to $700 (mobo $80, I'm pricing the i3 at $150... Intel lists it at $157 boxed, and due to the lower TDP I can cheap out on a Rosewill R521-M case + 400W PSU combo for $64)

I just can't find a H97/Z97 mobo for under $95 on Amazon with Prime.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's gonna be 1080p gaming (actually 1920x1200), so I'm planning to put a 4GB GTX 960. Should still run circles around a PS4, right?

I also read Skylake comes with a much improved implementation of Hyperthreading. (http://www.myce.com/news/skylake-cpu...ormance-77011/)

I'm not planning to overclock, so getting a Z170 board makes no sense. The drag with the B85 was it only had 4 USB 3.0 ports, and PCIe 2.0 for the chipset. But the B150 now has up to 6 USB3.0 and PCIe 3.0.

There's also H170 boards for around $90 too, those normally include a PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 connector, but other than that, there's not a lot of difference I can tell.

I'm trying to build this on the cheap. I priced a i5 4460 build (with a 256GB SSD + 1TB HD, 16GB RAM, H97 mobo, case + PSU) at $850 on Amazon, all Prime, but including taxes.

If I skip the SSD and put a 3TB drive instead, it's about $800. But the 4460 tops out at 3.4GHz... so I'm like :\

With the skylake i3 it looks like it can drop to $700 (mobo $80, I'm pricing the i3 at $150... Intel lists it at $157 boxed, and due to the lower TDP I can cheap out on a Rosewill R521-M case + 400W PSU combo for $64)

I just can't find a H97/Z97 mobo for under $95 on Amazon with Prime.
    Why not use newegg? This would be a pretty nice $700 build from them, and I haven't counted any rebates.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($201.98 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($71.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Superclocked Video Card ($213.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($41.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($48.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $685.89
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-14 00:34 EDT-0400

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why not use newegg? This would be a pretty nice $700 build from them, and I haven't counted any rebates.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($201.98 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($71.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Superclocked Video Card ($213.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($41.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($48.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $685.89
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-14 00:34 EDT-0400
    I like the free 2 day shipping from Prime, and NewEgg has a local warehouse in the State, which means I pay taxes.

Then again, because they have a local warehouse, that probably means mostly quick shipping, and I do have to pay taxes on Amazon too now.

So I'm gonna play with a few builds on NewEgg and see what comes out. Ideally I'd like a 128 or 256 SSD for the OS, and 1TB extra storage drive is probably ok.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would you actually use 6 USB 3.0 ports anyways? I always use two of my USB ports for my wireless keyboard and wireless mouse, and USB 2.0 gives plenty of bandwidth for those. So there's no difference for me between 4 USB 3.0 plus 2 USB 2.0 vs 6 USB 3.0.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like the free 2 day shipping from Prime, and NewEgg has a local warehouse in the State, which means I pay taxes.

Then again, because they have a local warehouse, that probably means mostly quick shipping, and I do have to pay taxes on Amazon too now.

So I'm gonna play with a few builds on NewEgg and see what comes out. Ideally I'd like a 128 or 256 SSD for the OS, and 1TB extra storage drive is probably ok.
    Well, that build also comes with $25 in rebates if you do those. I didn't count them towards the price though. Sucks that you have to pay tax in NJ for newegg.

For me it's 500 GB or bust for an SSD though, the whole reason I'd want one is to cut down load times in my games. And in the day of 60 GB games anything less than 500GB just seems tiny to me. Newegg actually has a 500 GB Poorsung 850 EVO for $155 right now, but the deal ends in like two hours.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would you actually use 6 USB 3.0 ports anyways? I always use two of my USB ports for my wireless keyboard and wireless mouse, and USB 2.0 gives plenty of bandwidth for those. So there's no difference for me between 4 USB 3.0 plus 2 USB 2.0 vs 6 USB 3.0.
    I do use them now that USB 3.0 is fairly fast. I always keep a backup drive connected, and also have a USB 3.0 extreme pen drive to move around from/to the office. I also prefer to add external drives for extra storage, and USB 2.0 is too slow.

4 plugs are probably enough, but the B85 only had 2 on the back, and the PCI 2.0 on the chipset sucks if you're using an SSD.

Well, that build also comes with $25 in rebates if you do those. I didn't count them towards the price though. Sucks that you have to pay tax in NJ for newegg.

For me it's 500 GB or bust for an SSD though, the whole reason I'd want one is to cut down load times in my games. And in the day of 60 GB games anything less than 500GB just seems tiny to me. Newegg actually has a 500 GB Poorsung 850 EVO for $155 right now, but the deal ends in like two hours.
    I have 3 boxes with 256 GB Crucial SSDs, and for me it's mostly quick booting up and quick launch. If you have Windows 7 installed, you have at least 100 GB to spare. Once you had an SSD, it's hard to go back to HDs, tbh...

Also, I think I really want 16GB of RAM... just future proofing it a bit. I feel 8GB is kinda cutting it close. With 16GB we're back at about $800, once you add taxes :\

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would this GB Windforce be better than the EVGA for an extra $10?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...02&ignorebbr=1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the heads up about NewEgg, BTW...

I basically took your build and replaced the case with a SilverStone SST-PS07B and the videocard with GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960OC-4GD

I removed the CPU/HDD combo, and still not sure what I want to do for storage. Total right now with shipping + taxes = $696.50

On one hand, they have a superb deal on a 480GB SanDisk Ultra II SSD for $160. But I could also probably snag a 256GB for $80 + $50 for a 1TB HDD...

I'll probably punt it until tomorrow...
    Last edited by ElNono; 09-14-2015 at 01:57 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the heads up about NewEgg, BTW...

I basically took your build and replaced the case with a SilverStone SST-PS07B and the videocard with GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960OC-4GD

I removed the CPU/HDD combo, and still not sure what I want to do for storage. Total right now with shipping + taxes = $696.50

On one hand, they have a superb deal on a 480GB SanDisk Ultra II SSD for $160. But I could also probably snag a 256GB for $80 + $50 for a 1TB HDD...

I'll probably punt it until tomorrow...
    Silverstone cases are nice, I like that they flipped the motherboard layout over so that your GPU fans will be pointing upward for better exhaust out the top of the case. Here's a video review of it, though this guy's reviews are always ridiculously long (they should be like 10 minutes lol). But you can get an idea what it looks like with hardware in.

I'd look at one of the larger Gigabyte cards, since the case you picked has room for a 13 inch video card and since the larger ones will run cooler and thus quieter. These are the same price and have higher clockspeeds:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125777

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125778

Small cases have gotten so much better about being able to fit in reasonably sized GPUs, so you don't have to buy the 6 or 7 inch cards (lol Fury Nano).

If I was going to build in a small case though, I'd go mini ITX and with a Corsair 250D.

But then mini-ITX boards are expensive as .

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    If I was going to build in a small case though, I'd go mini ITX and with a Corsair 250D.

But then mini-ITX boards are expensive as .
    Yup - that's my case I used in my build in July. I love it - but you're right mini ITX boards are expensive (opted for a Gigabyte Z97N-Wifi for around $130). But I didn't give a as I got some spare cash for my relocation from work

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We just built a server a couple months ago with a Thermaltake Core V1 Mini-ITX case. We used a Haswell i3 and a GIGABYTE GA-Z97N-WIFI mobo, since it has dual lans, which we needed.

The case is really nice, and since we used a modular PSU, it's very clean, but the case itself is bigger than it looks in videos, etc.

I've been using an early 2009 Mac Mini at home for the past few years, and after that, anything just looks pretty damn big.

Ideally I wanted to make this a Mini-ITX build, with a SilverStone SG13B case, but then everything shoot up price-wise, plus you gotta be careful with the vidcard you pick, etc. Not worth the hassle for a relatively cheap build.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We just built a server a couple months ago with a Thermaltake Core V1 Mini-ITX case. We used a Haswell i3 and a GIGABYTE GA-Z97N-WIFI mobo, since it has dual lans, which we needed.

The case is really nice, and since we used a modular PSU, it's very clean, but the case itself is bigger than it looks in videos, etc.

I've been using an early 2009 Mac Mini at home for the past few years, and after that, anything just looks pretty damn big.

Ideally I wanted to make this a Mini-ITX build, with a SilverStone SG13B case, but then everything shoot up price-wise, plus you gotta be careful with the vidcard you pick, etc. Not worth the hassle for a relatively cheap build.
    I can't deal with not having dust filters, one big reason I ditched my Source 210 for an Enthoo Pro. Lots of mini-ITX cases now are designed for long blower style cards that suck air in with the fan instead of exhausting it. That 250D I posted above keeps blower style cards really cool but is supposed to be ty for cards that exhaust the hot air into the case. But the days of mini-ITX meaning you need a 7" GPU are over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That Core V1 has a big dust filter and huge fan on the front. It's a really nice case. It's just bulky for a Mini-ITX build, IMO

Thread Information