Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question for posters here from or that have visited Argentina..

My girl and I have a couple of flight credits we have to use before March, we were thinking of heading there..I've done a little research, but I prefer feedback from people rather than articles/media, etc..

- Best time to go between now and March from a weather perspective?
    - Must-see areas and spots? Best areas to stay? We are interested in both partying and nature(latter being more important)
    - Minimum amount of days that we should go to ensure that we have a fulfilling experience?
    - Best method of transportation?

Thanks

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    Juventus FC
    Post Count
    Argentina? Don't bring a wallet esp if asian

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    - From December to March is summer... think NY weather in the summer. Hot & thick, unless you head south, where it's colder (ie: think Canada).
    - For Nature, tourist destinations are normally down south. Bariloche, Puerto Madryn, Perito Moreno Glacier in Santa Cruz. Bariloche has some night life too, but best partying is really on the capital, Buenos Aires. Mar del Plata might be a nice alternative at that time of the year, it has a great night life in the summer, and it's a very nice beach city about only 250 miles away from the capital. Be warned though, it might get crowded, as it's one of the top vacation spots for the locals.
    - It's a long trip, I normally spend at least 3 weeks, but I have family to see there. Two weeks is probably minimum, seeing it's like a 12 hour flight. Make sure you organize the trip. International flights to/from the US/Canada only arrive and depart at the Ezeiza airport in Buenos Aires. So no matter where you decide to go, you're going to be arriving in the capital and you have to go there to leave too.
    - Public transportation rules there, especially in the capital. Bus, subway, cabs are frequent and available at all times. For not so long distances (ie: Mar del Plata) you can take the train from the capital (it's a 5-6 hour ride). Longer distances need a local flight. You might be better served by booking a tour from travel agency in your country that include all the travel and logistics if you head south. It's a common international tourist destination, so I'm sure there's packages available.

Now, I'm sure people from Argentina like DAF86 can give you better tips. I don't travel there as frequently these days, so some things might've changed.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Argentina? Don't bring a wallet esp if asian

I don't get the joke srs.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    I don't get the joke srs.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Night life: Buenos Aires
    Beach: Mar del Plata or Punta del Este (in the Argentinian state of Uruguay)
    Mountains: Cordoba

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    - From December to March is summer... think NY weather in the summer. Hot & thick, unless you head south, where it's colder (ie: think Canada).
    - For Nature, tourist destinations are normally down south. Bariloche, Puerto Madryn, Perito Moreno Glacier in Santa Cruz. Bariloche has some night life too, but best partying is really on the capital, Buenos Aires. Mar del Plata might be a nice alternative at that time of the year, it has a great night life in the summer, and it's a very nice beach city about only 250 miles away from the capital. Be warned though, it might get crowded, as it's one of the top vacation spots for the locals.
    - It's a long trip, I normally spend at least 3 weeks, but I have family to see there. Two weeks is probably minimum, seeing it's like a 12 hour flight. Make sure you organize the trip. International flights to/from the US/Canada only arrive and depart at the Ezeiza airport in Buenos Aires. So no matter where you decide to go, you're going to be arriving in the capital and you have to go there to leave too.
    - Public transportation rules there, especially in the capital. Bus, subway, cabs are frequent and available at all times. For not so long distances (ie: Mar del Plata) you can take the train from the capital (it's a 5-6 hour ride). Longer distances need a local flight. You might be better served by booking a tour from travel agency in your country that include all the travel and logistics if you head south. It's a common international tourist destination, so I'm sure there's packages available.

Now, I'm sure people from Argentina like DAF86 can give you better tips. I don't travel there as frequently these days, so some things might've changed.
    As a foreigner who traveled quite a lot in Argentina, those are solid tips I'll add some thoughts from a foreigner perspective:

- I liked the weather better from January to March, less rain IIRC
    - 3 days in Buenos Aires is a must imo, night life, restaurants (cabana de las islas in puerto madeiro is a must even tho very touristic, view on river, meat are top notch imo). In Buenos Aires I usually stay in Palermo, for me this is the best place. You have to pay your visit to Boca district and see the stadium, if you can catch a game better (take highest price ticket possible, if not used to I don't recommend to be on the popular part). Then really you follow tips of hotels for places to visit and tango shows (a bit overdone but I appreciate to go see a show everytime I spend time there)
    - I, personnally, am not a big fan of Mar Del Plata. You have better beach cities all around the globe, what makes Argentina so special imo is Buenos Aires, down south and to lesser extent Mendoza that is on your way in South. So Patagonia is where you want to spend most of your time, glacier is unique and gorgeous. If you like horse riding, place is heaven. If you have time, plan your trip by yourself (flights, hotels...) you can better fine tune what you want and it's usually cheaper
    - Just a heads up, Argentina is imo safer than Brazil but this does not mean you can be careless. Try to be smart in that regard, simple clothes, no nice watches, cameras in your back pack... don't over expose the fact you are a gringo... especially in Buenos Aires... be discret.

and yes two weeks is a minimum

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    Also and fwiw I'm in Argentina at least one week every two months for work. I usually spend most of time in Cordoba and just have some lay overs in Buenos Aires... Even though you are a pain in the ass in this forum I'll glady invite you for a Parilla in Cordoba or Buenos Aires tbh

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Yeah, Mar del Plata as a beach isn't all that but if you want to combine beach plus night life that's probably the best option. Patagonia is beatiful but I must warn you, the whether is dry and windy. If you aren't used to it, it can be very uncomfortable for you. And the night life doesn't have as many options as those other places I mentioned before.

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    I even avoid carrying a backpack when I'm over there. Cargo pants FTW, and don't even think about pulling your iPhone or DSLR on the street. Get a relatively cheap camera you're willing to lose, and dump your photos to your laptop at the hotel every night.

It's generally not too bad, but be prepared.

Sheez, I didn't know Argentina was so gangster.

Veteran
    Post Count
    Major exaggeration, bs as is full of expats from all over that live there permanently, just like any big city there are pick pockets so be careful but pulling out an iPhone is not a big deal, leaving it on a table outdoors is stupid, same in Madrid or Paris. Be more wary of taxis taking you on a ride to inflate the fare than getting assaulted (happened to me in hiroshima once, and the damn taxi had robotic doors I couldn't open myself!)

I also recommend Patagonia and cordoba over the beach, if you were going by yourself maybe not but if you are with your girl the main attraction of the beach is off-limits

I would do a week in bs as and a week in Patagonia, but it depends on your interests.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    Juventus FC
    Post Count
    I even avoid carrying a backpack when I'm over there. Cargo pants FTW, and don't even think about pulling your iPhone or DSLR on the street. Get a relatively cheap camera you're willing to lose, and dump your photos to your laptop at the hotel every night.

It's generally not too bad, but be prepared.
    This tbh.

I also suggest Sinaloa, Mexico... It's better than Cancun but for some reason it doesn't get the credit it deserves for being as nice as tourist spot. The people are cool as too

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    FWIW, not sure how it is coming in from Canada, but coming in from the US you're charged $200 dollars as "migration fee" per person, good for 6 years. Just a heads up...

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    My s Brazil and ElNono overreacting as , tbh. The most insecure city in Argentina is Bs As but it's just as insecure as any other big city in the World.

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    It's not a war zone but compared to Canada or US it's like Baghdad during Iraq war tbh and again it's safer than most Brazilian cities where basically it's Lebanon compared to Canada

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    My s Brazil and ElNono overreacting as , tbh. The most insecure city in Argentina is Bs As but it's just as insecure as any other big city in the World.
    Better safe than sorry tbh... dude is coming from Canada

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    It's not a war zone but compared to Canada or US it's like Baghdad during Iraq war tbh and again it's safer than most Brazilian cities where basically it's Lebanon compared to Canada
    How is Bs As Iraq compared to New York, tbh?

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Better safe than sorry tbh... dude is coming from Canada
    That's true.

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    And my heads up is soft... Just saying to not be careless

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    How is Bs As Iraq compared to New York, tbh?
    I know for a fact that rio and São Paulo for instance are by number of violent death per year considered as a war zone... Again BA is safer and I'm joking but again compared to BA cities like Toronto or Montreal are hugely soft

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    And I'm a big fan of Argentina.., with no question one of most beautiful country in the world... And argentinean when not ST posters are great people

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    And I'm a big fan of Argentina.., with no question one of most beautiful country in the world... And argentinean when not ST posters are great people

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    I told him is not that bad, but you gotta know that it can happen and he needs to be aware. Just like any place, there's some areas you shouldn't head to, tbh... it's easier when you have somebody to point that stuff out, but when you're going all alone, and especially when you're headed to spots full of tourists, there's always somebody looking to take advantage.

When I was living in Sao Paulo, I once drove around with another argie friend, made the wrong turn and ended up at the entrance of a favela, with a bunch of guys on the street taking a keen look at the car

Did a U turn and got outta there, but that happens when you don't know.

When we go to Argentina and wife takes her big Dooney and Bourke bags, the first thing my mom tells her is to leave that at home. Similarly, I noticed I do stuff that I completely forgot about, like looking around everywhere before entering the house, don't expect cars to stop when crossing the street, stress the out when I see a bike with a couple guys with helmets on a quiet street. It's funny how natural all that stuff is when you live there, but it's stuff I can completely erase from my mind when I'm back here.

So, yeah, it's not that bad, but don't go there and stand out like sore thumb.

Thread Information