Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who wants a Christian Taliban as President, who adheres RELIGIOUSLY to all the bull in the Old Testament, implementing Christian Sharia?

U Have Bad Understanding Sportcamper's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

“Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.”...Matthew 8:20

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apparently Muslims cannot even pronounce the word sexual so all the gays will have to move if a Muslim bcomes president

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ..Later, Carson said he personally believed Charles Darwin's theory of evolution was encouraged by the devil.

"I personally believe that this theory that Darwin came up with was something that was encouraged by the adversary, and it has become what is scientifically, politically correct," said Carson.

"Amazingly, there are a significant number of scientists who do not believe it but they're afraid to say anything," Carson added, saying he would be writing a book, "The Organ of Species," that shows how the organs of the body refute evolution.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczyn...lution-encoura
    Wow, that kind of harshes his buzz as a literate type. Astounds me that there are still people out there, much less doctors, who deny a basic, central aspect of biology.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Soft Bigotry of Ben Carson

Then on Tuesday, at a news conference, Carson said, “It has nothing to do with being a Muslim.” He continued: “That was the question that was specifically asked. If the question had been asked about a Christian and they said, ‘Would you support a Christian who supports establishing a theocracy?’ I would have said no.”

Only his original comment was unambiguous: It had everything to do with being a Muslim. And it was bigoted.

But this isn’t Carson’s first time at this rodeo. This has become his modus operandi.

Carson has a way of speaking in a flat, sing-song-y tone while flashing his toothy, 100-watt smile, that can be utterly disarming, if not completely charming.

His undeniable pedigree as an acclaimed pediatric neurosurgeon adds an air of gravitas to his nonsensical utterances and provides some cover for what can be poisonously harmful, over-the-line invectives.

Carson says in low register what others shout in anger, and he gets a bit of a pass because of the discordant message and method of delivery.

Just because a person is soft-spoken doesn’t mean that he is well-spoken.

It’s not that others have not criticized the president before or since, but it was the particularity of the racial imagery of Carson’s critique — one smart, accomplished black man undressing another in public — that gave it particular power. It insulated the attack from racial characterization. He said things from the lips of a black conservative that roiled the minds of white ones. And it represented a prominent breaking of ranks, a slicing off of black solidarity from not only Democratic loyalty but also from fidelity with this president.

Since then, Carson’s rhetoric has seemed to get only more reckless.

He has called Obama a psychopath and a liar. He has compared Obama’s supporters to Nazi sympathizers. He has said that Obamacare is the “worst thing that has happened in this nation since slavery,” even worse than the terrorist attacks on 9/11.

He has asserted that being gay is “absolutely” a choice as evidenced by people who “go into prison straight — and when they come out, they’re gay.” He later apologized in a statement that read in part:

“I do not pretend to know how every individual came to their sexual orientation. I regret that my words to express that concept were hurtful and divisive. For that I apologize unreservedly to all that were offended.”

And even when his rhetoric isn’t reckless, it can be wrongheaded.

He has used the shallowness of race as a biological construct to disavow and diminish the depth of racism as a very real cultural construct.

And he makes the mistake many people do, of using his personal story of success as a societal prescription for all problems. I have always held that working hard and following the rules are their own reward, but I am not naïve enough to believe that personal behavior can completely countervail structural oppression.

Carson knows that his outrageous antics in his role as the anti-Obama are a most profitable enterprise. He mixes political critique with Christian theological messaging to rake in quite a bit of money on the lecture circuit.

As Politico reportedin July, Carson “brought in nearly $2 million delivering inspirational speeches to faith-based groups like Christian high schools and pregnancy centers in 2014,” with speaking fees ranging “from $12,320 to $48,500.”

This is a sad turn — spurred, I believe, by profit motive — for such a great legacy.

I, like many other African-Americans, had come to see Carson as a hero before his foray into politics because of the resonance of his personal story — a poor inner-city child being raised by a driven single mother who valued education and instilled in him a sense of character that would allow him to become a staggering success.

Carson was the embodiment of possibility. His 1990 book, “Gifted Hands,” was required reading for many young people.

But as a political figure, his stature is diminished as he reveals himself to be intolerant, bordering on soft bigotry, and also reckless and needlessly inflammatory.

No one can discount what Carson accomplished professionally, but those accomplishments must now stand shoulder to shoulder with this new persona: whisper-soft purveyor of hyperbolic hucksterism.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/09/24...en-carson.html
    Interesting read. Haven't been keeping up with the stuff out of the GOP clown car, but not overly surprised.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's beyond unsettling that these freaks are this close to being potus
    Nah. They are competing for who will be the Biggest Loser, when they get shut the out of the general election.

Electoral math is not going to be kind to the GOP in a year or so.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    He didn't even know what hush puppies were. That's almost as bad as Pat Robertson not knowing what mac and cheese is.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ben Carson's Follies: 7 of the Most Stupefying Statements by the GOP's Favorite Neurosurgeon

here are some of his greatest hits:

1. Gayness must be a choice, because prisoners who are raped come out gay.

Like any generic phobe, Carson has no problem repeating tired falsehoods about how legalized gay marriage will lead to bestiality and pedophila. But he got some points for originality when he told Chris Cuomo in an interview that sexuality was absolutely a choice "[b]ecause a lot of people who go into prison go into prison straight— and when they come out, they're gay."

Cuomo’s jaw dropped long enough for Carson to add: "So, did something happen while they were in there? Ask yourself that question."

This could absolutely take the cake for comedic idiocy, if only phobic violence and prison rape were not horrific real-life problems.

What it proves is that Carson will say anything. And that, even when it comes to medical science—the preponderance of which indicates that sexuality is not a choice—the doctor is out.

2. Obamacare is worse than slavery. We live in a Gestapo age.

Carson earns a lot of conservative love for his harsh criticism of Obama. A black man maligning the first black president is practically orgasmic for these folks. After uttering both of the above provocations, he doubled down on them in an interview with Wolf Blitzer, accusing everyone of going into a “tizzy” because he used the slavery and Nazi analogies. Here’s Carson claiming his comparisons were apt:

Nazi Germany experienced something horrible. The people in Nazi Germany largely didn't believe in what Hitler was doing. But they didn't say anything? Of course not, they kept their mouth shut. The fact that our government is using instruments of government like the IRS to punish its opponents, this is not the kind of thing that is a Democrat or a Republican issue. This is an American issue ... A lot of people do not feel free to express themselves.

Which people are those, exactly? Not sure. Certainly, the Gestapo has not been able silence him. And on the slavery analogy:

Slavery was a horrible thing and affected many people in horrible ways, some of those effects still present today. So, no, it is not the same as slavery. However, what needs to be understood here is that the way this country was set up, the people—we the people were set up at the pinnacle of power in this nation. The government is supposed to conform to our will. By taking the most important thing you have, your health and your health care, and turning that over to the government, you fundamentally shift the power, a huge chunk of it, from the people to the government.

Never mind that the people’s will is to have health care. Details, details.

The point is, Dr. Ben Carson should be able to use whatever crazy analogy he wants in order to get people’s attention, and he should not be subjected to some random truth-telling standard. Because, Hitler.

3. The Big Bang is a “fairy tale” and the notion of evolution was encouraged by the devil.

There is no more telling evidence that the “man of science” in the Republican race not only cherry-picks his science to gel with his fundamentalist Christian beliefs, but denies the most basic science out there. While there is no word yet on whether Carson believes in gravity, it’s worth quoting Carson’s insane Big Bang ramblings at some length:

I find the Big Bang really quite fascinating. I mean, here you have all these highfalutin scientists and they're saying it was this gigantic explosion and everything came into perfect order. Now these are the same scientists that go around touting the second law of thermodynamics, which is entropy, which says that things move toward a state of disorganization. So now you're gonna have this big explosion and everything becomes perfectly organized and when you ask them about it they say, 'Well we can explain this, based on probability theory because if there's enough big explosions, over a long period of time, billions and billions of years, one of them will be the perfect explosion.' ... So I say what you're telling me is if I blow a hurricane through a junkyard enough times over billions and billions of years, eventually after one of those hurricanes there will be a 747 fully loaded and ready to fly. (Carson adds that the Big Bang is "even more ridiculous" because there is order to the universe.) Well, I mean, it's even more ridiculous than that 'cause our solar system, not to mention the universe outside of that, is extraordinarily well organized, to the point where we can predict 70 years away when a comet is coming. Now that type of organization to just come out of an explosion? I mean, you want to talk about fairy tales, that is amazing.

Later in the interview, Carson said he personally believed Charles Darwin's theory of evolution was encouraged by the devil.

As Charles Pierce wrote in Esquire: “What in the name of Edwin Hubble is this man talking about? Why is this man allowed out in public without a handler?"

4. There’s no war on women; there may be a war on women’s insides.

In a speech on the steps of the Arkansas Capitol in Little Rock this summer, Carson took on the notion that Republicans are waging a war on women, saying: "They tell you that there’s a war on women. There is no war on women. There may be a war on what’s inside of women, but there is no war on women in this country."

It was a mystifying piece of rhetoric that remains unexplained to this day. Just what part of women’s insides is there a war on? And why is that even remotely an OK thing to say, let alone condone?

No clue. It was not the only insanity of that speech, during which he called slaves immigrants who “came here involuntarily in the bottom of slave ships, worked even longer, even harder for less.”

5. Nope, I don’t see any global warming.

Unlike other conservative ideologues, Carson does not exactly deny climate change, and he certainly does not use the tired line “I’m not a scientist,” because technically he is. What he does say is that global climate change is “irrelevant.” Irrelevant to what, we’re not sure. He just thinks, unlike most scientists, that it’s not manmade, and “there’s always going to be either cooling or warming going on.” He also thinks discussion of what to do about climate change is a distraction. From what? Again, unclear. Maybe, he suggested, the EPA and how it over-regulates things.

Carson stayed true to this devil-may-care at ude about the environment on a recent jaunt to California in the midst of one of its worst droughts and most horrific wildfires in recent history. He just did not see that as climate change. And if he does not see it, it isn’t there.

Nope, I don’t see any racism.

Add racism to the ever-growing list of realities that Carson does not see. On a trip to Ferguson, Mo. this summer, Carson did not see racism. Never mind that whole Department of Justice report detailing chronic systemic racist policing in Ferguson. Not to mention a black community that has been starved of resources and services.

Rather than racism, Carson pitched the problem in Ferguson—and everywhere else black people suffer disproportionately—as one of education and respect. “Education is the great divide,” Carson said. “Children need to understand that they have to get a good education.”

So, to sum up, racism which does not exist is not to blame. Children, who do exist, are.

7. Planned Parenthood is a plot to kill black babies.

With this statement, Carson placed himself solidly in the Alex Jones insane conspiracy theory camp. He also called Planned Parenthood a bigger threat to black people than racism. We are running out of adjectives. Bonkers, insane, batsh*t crazy, certifiable… all seem inadequate to the task. A portion of Carson’s comments about Planned Parenthood:

…one of the reasons that you find most of their clinics in black neighborhoods is so that you can find way to control that population. And I think people should go back and read about Margaret Sanger, who founded this place — a woman who Hillary Clinton by the way says she admires. Look and see what many people in Nazi Germany thought about her.

Note how he cleverly worked in another 'Nazi Germany' reference. No need to shout when you can always use the dog whistle.

http://www.alternet.org/election-201...ter1043186&t=2

Repugs, tea baggers, bubbas, rednecks, Christian Taliban! They sure prefer their politicians to be as dumb, ignorant as a bag of hammers.

This asshole gives "thugs" a bad name.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watch Ben Carson’s bizarre rant on science and climate change: ‘Gravity, where did it come from?’

Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson engaged in another round of climate change denial while also veering off into remarks about evolution and gravity during a Sept. 30 appearance at the University of New Hampshire, the New Republic reported.

“The way the earth rotates on its axis, how far away it is from the sun. These are all very complex things,” Carson said in response to a question from the audience.

“Gravity, where did it come from? I mean, there are so many things. So I don’t denigrate the people who say ‘Eh, eh, whatever, somehow it happened.’ I don’t denigrate them. I just don’t have that much faith.”

“You don’t believe in climate change or evolution, I believe. And I was just wondering, do you seriously not believe that climate change is happening?”

Carson — who has called research concerning global warming “irrelevant” — accused news outlets of distorting his remarks before launching into his answer.

“Is there climate change? Of course there’s climate change,” Carson said. “Any point in time temperatures are going up or temperatures are going down. When that stops happening, that’s when we’re in big trouble.”

Carson went on to state that there was “no reason” to make climate change a political issue, before sharing his thoughts on evolution.

“I do believe in micro-evolution, or natural selection,” he said. “But I believe that God gave the creatures He made the ability to adapt to their surroundings. Because He’s very smart. He didn’t want to start over every 50 years.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/watc...e+Raw+Story%29

yawn, just your typical Repug stupid, ignorant bag of a political leader being followed by stupid, ignorant bags of Repug followers.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Jeb Bush quotes getting just as bad as Carson. "Stuff happens" is what Bush responded to the Oregon shooting.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeb Bush quotes getting just as bad as Carson. "Stuff happens" is what Bush responded to the Oregon shooting.
    Maher's insult dubya, "the smart brother is named JEB", was funny, but JEB is proving as dumb, politically, and as 1% corrupted, as dubya.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bent Carson pandering to the Christian Taliban's Islamophobia

Ben Carson Wants Muslim Civil Rights Group to Lose Tax-Exempt Status

It turns out that Ben Carson, campaigning on a Religious Right-endorsed platform, which regularly mixes religion and politics, doesn’t think Muslims should be able to mix religion and politics.

He wants CAIR – the Council on American-Islamic Relations – to lose its tax-exempt status because it criticized him by pointing to Article VI of the Cons ution and calling on him to withdraw from the presidential race.

Taking to his website to whine most hypocritically and righteously, Carson said “The IRS should immediately revoke CAIR’s tax-exempt status.”

He went on to say:“This is not the first time that CAIR has disrespected U.S. laws or America. It has previously lost its tax-exempt status by failing to file federal taxes three years in a row.

It had also been named by federal prosecutors as an unindicted co-conspirator in a criminal conspiracy to funnel money to Hamas, a terrorist organization.”
    And even falsely asserted that:

“Under the Obama administration, the IRS has systematically targeted conservative nonprofit groups for politically motivated audits and harassment. The agency should now properly do its job and punish the real violators of America’s laws and regulations.”

http://www.politicususa.com/2015/10/...iticus+USA+%29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ben Carson: AP History will make students join ISIS

Fox News commentator and likely 2016 presidential also-ran Ben Carson is joining the chorus of far-right howling against the College Board's new Advanced Placement U.S. History framework. Carson is even one-upping the conservative members of the Jefferson County, Colorado, school board who've threatened to subs ute a curriculum that stresses respect for authority and capitalism. Carson, though, is taking the rhetoric up a notch:

"There's only two paragraphs in there about George Washington ... little or nothing about Martin Luther King, a whole section on slavery and how evil we are, a whole section on Japanese internment camps and how we slaughtered millions of Japanese with our bombs," Carson said at the event.
    He continued, "I think most people when they finish that course, they'd be ready to go sign up for ISIS ... We have got to stop this silliness crucifying ourselves."

AP History and ISIS in the same rant—that is some skilled intertwining of conservative boogeymen. Obviously none of this makes any sense whatsoever. Is the course supposed to teach about Martin Luther King Jr. without teaching about segregation?

Because if it teaches about segregation, isn't that similar to teaching about slavery and internment camps?

The turn to ISIS, though, is particularly revealing. The implicit suggestion is that if teens learn that the United States ever did anything bad in its entire history, they will turn against the nation today. Apparently Carson doesn't believe it's possible to learn from history and do better ... which might explain something about his party's politics.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/1...ents-join-ISIS

And Ms of Repug voters prefer this asshole for President!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ben Carson’s Destructive Lies: 4 Racist Assumptions Endorsed & Magnified By Black Conservatives

The neurosurgeon-turned-candidate has eagerly joined the GOP in its campaign against racial justice.

1) Black people are on a Democratic or Liberal “Plantation”

This twisted interpretation of the political agency and intelligence of black Americans is immensely popular on the White Right. The “Democratic Plantation” lie is rooted in a white supremacist fantasy and “Gone with the Wind”-style fairy tale of happy black slaves singing, dancing, having sex, and being protected by benevolent white masters. This racist fiction ignores how black Americans self-manumitted, fought in the Civil War to free themselves, remade democracy with Reconstruction, and then made the reasoned choice to switch over to the Democratic Party en masse because of the policies of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and then later those of the Johnson and Kennedy administrations.

In reality, the slave “plantation” was a charnel and rape house. It quite literally used the bodies of millions of black people as fuel for (white) American and European empire.
    There is a special hostility in the United States towards black Americans and their history of struggle, survival, and freedom. No one on mainstream cable news, among the commentariat, or in the class of political elites would dare to suggest that Jews who support the Democratic Party are in a type of “gas chamber” or “death camp.” Such an egregious insult can only be leveled with impunity at African-Americans.

2) Black people are extremely emotional and are unable to make intelligent political decisions

This white supremacist fantasy reflects centuries-old racist beliefs that white people are supremely rational and that people of color—blacks in particular—are impulsive, unintelligent, libidinous, and impulsive.

On a range of public policy issues, black Americans have shown a remarkable amount of foresight and wisdom, being years or decades ahead of white public opinion on issues such as ending the Iraq War, the failures of George W. Bush’s leadership and administration and access to healthcare, among other issues. Social scientists have also detailed how African-Americans use complex decision making and other heuristics to factor in the realities of life in a racist society, the importance of the Black Freedom Struggle, and individual self-advancement. Some scholars of American politics even go so far as to suggest that black people may be more sophisticated in their political behavior than whites because of the former’s need to more carefully discern power dynamics and be sensitive to political partisanship and ideology.

3) Black Americans vote Democrat because they want “free things”

As I wrote in an earlier essay at Salon, this claim is both ahistorical, and also overlooks the most basic nature of politics. Politics is fundamentally about receiving benefits from the State. This is the core of interest group behavior, voting, and advocacy. To the degree that black people want “free things” they are no different from any other group. Moreover, in reality, it is White America that has been built on stealing “free stuff” from people of color (most obviously land from First Nations peoples and labor from black folks) and whose members receive a disproportionate amount of subsidies from what is known as “the submerged state”.

4) Black Americans are low-information voters who are ill-informed

As do ented by the American Press Ins ute (API), Black Americans and whites may have slightly different news consumption patterns and habits, but the claim that African-Americans are somehow massively “less informed” than white people is specious.

The API reports that,

“Even with concerns about coverage of their communities in the news, large majorities of African Americans and Hispanics are avid news consumers and their general news habits are similar to national averages. Substantial numbers of Americans say they watch, read, or hear the news at least once a day (76 percent) and also say they enjoy keeping up with the news a lot or some (88 percent).

“But there are some differences by race and ethnicity in the frequency of news consumption. Non-Hispanic whites (80 percent) are more likely to say they get news daily than are African Americans (70 percent) or Hispanics (70 percent).”
    The suggestion that black Americans are somehow ignorant and “tricked” into supporting the Democratic Party because they do not have access to correct information is especially absurd given that Fox News viewers, the vast majority of whom are white, cons ute one of the least informed publics in the United States.
    These defamations and slurs on the civic virtue, character, and intelligence of Black Americans are easily refuted. However, these lies are still especially dangerous because black conservatives like Ben Carson give them a veneer of truth and authenticity—thus validating the racist anti-black beliefs held by many white Americans.

http://www.alternet.org/election-2016/ben-carsons-destructive-lies-4-racist-assumptions-endorsed-magnified-black

aka, Black on Black slime

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ben Carson Cites Fake Thomas Jefferson Quote To Argue That Gun Control Is 'Ridiculous'

Ben Carson reacted to the shooting of ten people at an Oregon community college last week by warning that it would be used as “an excuse to grab people’s guns.”

“My thinking is that we’re not going to use that as an excuse to take people’s guns, that’s ridiculous, guns don’t kill people,” Carson told Iowa conservative radio host Jan Mickelson on Friday.

Carson also falsely claimed that the shooter targeted the college because it was “a gun-free zone.” The school was in fact not a gun-free zone and several students on campus were concealed carrying at the time of the shooting.

The people who want to get rid of our gun rights, I want them to tell me how exactly that stops these kinds of incidents from happening. Because the people who are going to commit these crimes, they don’t care about your silly rules, they’re not going to pay attention to them. So all you’re going to do is create more vulnerability, as Thomas Jefferson said. He said the people who are going to be disadvantaged are the ones who are law-abiding. The passage to which Carson seems to be referring was actually written by an 18th century Italian philosopher ; Jefferson transcribed the passage in a notebook, and historians disagree on what his thoughts on it were. -

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/ben-carson-cites-fake-thomas-jefferson-quote-argue-gun-control-ridiculous

All you rightwingnuts, Religious nuts have is lies, lies, lies, slander, fantasies in a make-believe universe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol, righwingwatch

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol, righwingwatch
    ... which is only quoting directly your beloved 7th Day Adventist nutcase.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    .... Dr. Ben Carson, a pediatric neurosurgeon, a member of the distinguished National Academy of Sciences Ins ute of Medicine, and the author of six best selling books, said that it takes faith to believe in God and to believe in evolution because both are “religion,” and he stressed that it requires “a lot more faith to believe in evolution.”

"I think it’s quite evident from what you’ve seen tonight, it takes faith to believe in God, it takes faith to believe in evolution,” said Dr. Carson during a speech at the Celebration of Creation conference, as*reported*by the Adventist News Network.

“I think it takes a lot more faith to believe in evolution than it does to believe in God,” he said....

http://cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-ch...-god-evolution
    The ol it takes more faith to believe in evolution line.

Nut bar

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The ol it takes more faith to believe in evolution line.

Nut bar
    Co-Signed

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    Nah. They are competing for who will be the Biggest Loser, when they get shut the out of the general election.

Electoral math is not going to be kind to the GOP in a year or so.
    Not if Hillary wins the nomination.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ben Carson admits GOP gun policy defeat: Obama should skip meeting families of Oregon shooting victims, wait for “the next one”

Ben Carson unwittingly confessed that his party’s obstructionism on all gun control legislation means that it is only a matter of time before there is another school shooting like the one that occurred in Roseburg, Oregon.

Carson was bemoaning the manner in which President Barack Obama and Democratic hopeful Hillary Clinton were deliberately “politicizing” the shooting. “Imagine a politician politicizing something,” he said. “When do we have people that actually want to solve our problems, rather than just politicize everything?”

“Would you still go? Would you still go if you were president?”

“Probably not,” Carson replied. “I would probably have so many things on my agenda that I’d go to the next one.”

http://www.salon.com/2015/10/06/ben_..._the_next_one/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if my kid died in the shooting there my last person I would want to see is Obama
    him going to Oregon will cost millions where a phone call might cost $10.00

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Glad he thinks he's so funny. "That way we don't all up dead, hehehehe"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Pompeii Victims Should Have Outrun Lava"

WASHINGTON — Citizens of the Roman town of Pompeii who were victims of Mt. Vesuvius’s eruption in 79 A.D. could have survived if they had “just outrun the lava,” the neurosurgeon Ben Carson told Fox News on Wednesday.

“Most of the plaster casts we have of Pompeii victims show them basically just lying down and whatnot,” he said. “If I had been in Pompeii and I heard Mt. Vesuvius erupting, you can bet I would have made a run for it.”

He said another option open to residents of Pompeii would have been “to fight the volcano.”

“Archeologists estimate that the population of Pompeii was about eleven thousand,” he said. “You can’t tell me that if eleven thousand people put their minds to it they couldn’t beat one volcano.”

Carson said he would spend the next week on the campaign trail dispensing helpful tips about how people can defeat earthquakes, tsunamis, and giant asteroids.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borow...NzgwOTQ2NDMzS0

Thread Information