My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I found some 2TB hard drives on Amazon and the price seemed too good to be true, so I quickly bought a few.

Product page
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00

After reading the product details, I find out they are circa 2010 drives and they are SATA II and not SATA III. So, I was like "Oh " and I tried to cancel the order. Too late, they are on their way.

I did some more research on these drives and it turns out they are super reliable.

Backblaze reliability study --> https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/

I was shopping for WD Red drives and those don't appear to be nearly as reliable (per that study) and are much more expensive.

Maybe not such a bad mistake after all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I found some 2TB hard drives on Amazon and the price seemed too good to be true, so I quickly bought a few.

Product page
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00

After reading the product details, I find out they are circa 2010 drives and they are SATA II and not SATA III. So, I was like "Oh " and I tried to cancel the order. Too late, they are on their way.

I did some more research on these drives and it turns out they are super reliable.

Backblaze reliability study --> https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/

I was shopping for WD Red drives and those don't appear to be nearly as reliable (per that study) and are much more expensive.

Maybe not such a bad mistake after all.
    What are you gonna use them for anyways? If it's just storage, they'll work well.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That failure rate on the 1.5 TB Seagates

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are you gonna use them for anyways? If it's just storage, they'll work well.
    Building a NAS. I have 15 years of photos, home movies, etc., and I'm getting paranoid about losing my data. I also want to use it to back up our laptops and stream our media collection. I started looking at commercial NAS, like QNAP, Synology, and Drobo, but they are expensive without any drives. I have a lot of hardware laying around, so I figured I'd go the DIY route with FreeNAS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That failure rate on the 1.5 TB Seagates
    No kidding. And the failure rate of those WD Red's is pretty shocking. Those are marketed for NAS and WD even uses them for their "My Cloud" product line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No kidding. And the failure rate of those WD Red's is pretty shocking. Those are marketed for NAS and WD even uses them for their "My Cloud" product line.
    I don't like Western Digital much anymore. I have two WD Black drives from 2006 and 2008 that I'm still running, they were an awesome company years ago. Then I had two WD Blacks I bought in 2011 and 2012 and one lasted about a year and a half, the other only a few months. I got them replaced since they were still under warranty and they're still running, but I'll ing never pay for a black drive again. I always keep them cool too, with direct airflow onto them so they rarely go over 30C.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't like Western Digital much anymore. I have two WD Black drives from 2006 and 2008 that I'm still running, they were an awesome company years ago. Then I had two WD Blacks I bought in 2011 and 2012 and one lasted about a year and a half, the other only a few months. I got them replaced since they were still under warranty and they're still running, but I'll ing never pay for a black drive again. I always keep them cool too, with direct airflow onto them so they rarely go over 30C.

Damn, those black ones are super expensive. I wonder if pushing the performance envelope on the mechanical drives is what's causing reliability issues?

Why don't you just get a SSD?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, those black ones are super expensive. I wonder if pushing the performance envelope on the mechanical drives is what's causing reliability issues?

Why don't you just get a SSD?
    I finally bought one a couple of months ago.

I'm still holding out with Windows 7 though, especially since Nvidia GPUs aren't looking too impressive in DirectX 12 and since I'm not even considering replacing my GTX 970 until 2017.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 09-25-2015 at 11:33 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I finally bought one a couple of months ago.

I'm still holding out with Windows 7 though, especially since Nvidia GPUs aren't looking too impressive in DirectX 12 and since I'm not even considering replacing my GTX 970 until 2017.

I hope you bought a good brand (Samsung, Crucial, Sandisk). I bought a cheap one and sometimes that thing doesn't boot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope you bought a good brand (Samsung, Crucial, Sandisk). I bought a cheap one and sometimes that thing doesn't boot.
    I got a Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB once those ers dropped to $200. Now you can routinely find them for $160 though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I got a Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB once those ers dropped to $200. Now you can routinely find them for $160 though.
    Those are the best, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a Crucial fanboy when it comes to SSDs, tbh.... I only had one go bad (out of 6) after like 2.5 years, and they were prompt in honoring their warranty and replacing it. Still have some units from 3-4 years ago, and they still perform amazingly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a Crucial fanboy when it comes to SSDs, tbh.... I only had one go bad (out of 6) after like 2.5 years, and they were prompt in honoring their warranty and replacing it. Still have some units from 3-4 years ago, and they still perform amazingly.
    Damn, aren't SSDs supposed to be reliable as thanks to not having moving parts?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Maybe some of them have ty controllers and firmware.

This site usually has solid recommendations --> http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-ssds/
    Last edited by DarrinS; 09-25-2015 at 02:48 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I find them to be way more reliable than HDDs, tbh... heck the SSD that "failed", really did not. It just gave me a SMART warning about reallocated blocks, and said to contact the manufacturer.

Now, we probably had 20+ HDDs go bad (mostly Seagate, and a couple Samsung Spinpoint) in that 3 year span.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patriot Blaze SSD -- do NOT buy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those are really good and priced better than Poorsung

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patriot Blaze SSD -- do NOT buy
    I did a build for a friend one time around 2010 with Patriot RAM and it has been alright, but damn that company's name has gone to over the last few years. Mushkin too, they used to make great RAM but I hear their SSDs suck. Now I mostly use Crucial or G.Skill RAM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Samsung is the sauce tbh

Thread Information