My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What team would you switch to the West? Geographically it makes sense for the Griz to be an East Conf team, but I don't see any team in the Eastern conference that it would make sense to move to the West.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bucks might make sense, that's all I could come up with.

It needs to happen though because the East is a joke. Adding Memphis would at least make it a little more interesting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Griz would easily sleepwalk to the ECFs where they would hold home court vs Cavs. Probly lose thou

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Griz would easily sleepwalk to the ECFs where they would hold home court vs Cavs. Probly lose thou
    But at least the Cavs would break a sweat....lol

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Move the Grizzlies to the East and give Seattle and Kansas City NBA teams, tbh. Let those two teams fight it out for Boozer and whoever is left in free agency

My Team
    Charlotte Bobcats
    Post Count
    Cavs would still sweep or win in 5. Matt Barnes shenanigans doesn't work against a player of LeBron's caliber.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Memphis should move if expansion happens, but other wise, there isn't really a point of moving them at all, as they are the more western than any of the Eastern teams. It would help if the NBA moved to an NFL/MLB style and just had conferences that were unrelated to their geography. With local divisions, there's no need to have geographic conferences anyway.

My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    Isn't New Orleans technically further east than Memphis? Its close since both are on the Mississippi River.

My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    Just looked it up. New Orleans is further east than Memphis. Plus, throw in the rivalry with Atlanta, Tampa, and Carolina from the NFL, the Pelicans would fit in nicely with the Hawks, Bobcats, and the two Florida teams.

However both New Orleans and Memphis are further west of Milwaukee.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Closest i could think is chicago.

coffee is for closers Infinite_limit's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bucks might make sense, that's all I could come up with.

It needs to happen though because the East is a joke. Adding Memphis would at least make it a little more interesting.
    And when Zo/Gasol retire? You move them back West?

NBA needs to scratch the whole East vs West setup. Only the NHL still uses that and they recently swapped a bunch of teams.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And when Zo/Gasol retire? You move them back West?

NBA needs to scratch the whole East vs West setup. Only the NHL still uses that and they recently swapped a bunch of teams.
    Nah, there is something legit in this franchise. Some east franchise are meant to be ty

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think about this, if Memphis or New Orleans moved east & a team from the east went to Seattle & took okc's spot in their division, that means okc would probably be put in the southwest division.

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Here's a crazy idea: 3 conferences of 10 divided into divisions of 5. You play everyone in your division 5 times (20), everyone in the other division 4 times (20) and teams in the other conferences about 2 times (21 games apiece, rotate the odd team).

All the division winners advance to the playoffs and then the next 10 best records also advance. No one is guaranteed a top-6 seed though.

And yes, I told you this was weird. Here are my conferences:

West:

Golden State
    LA Clippers
    LA Lakers
    Portland
    Sacramento

Denver
    Memphis
    Oklahoma City
    Phoenix
    Utah

Central

Dallas
    Houston
    Minnesota
    New Orleans
    San Antonio

Chicago
    Cleveland
    Detroit
    Indiana
    Milwaukee

East:

Boston
    Brooklyn
    New York
    Philadelphia
    Toronto

Atlanta
    Charlotte
    Miami
    Orlando
    Washington

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's a crazy idea: 3 conferences of 10 divided into divisions of 5. You play everyone in your division 5 times (20), everyone in the other division 4 times (20) and teams in the other conferences about 2 times (21 games apiece, rotate the odd team).

All the division winners advance to the playoffs and then the next 10 best records also advance. No one is guaranteed a top-6 seed though.

And yes, I told you this was weird. Here are my conferences:

West:

Golden State
    LA Clippers
    LA Lakers
    Portland
    Sacramento

Denver
    Memphis
    Oklahoma City
    Phoenix
    Utah

Central

Dallas
    Houston
    Minnesota
    New Orleans
    San Antonio

Chicago
    Cleveland
    Detroit
    Indiana
    Milwaukee

East:

Boston
    Brooklyn
    New York
    Philadelphia
    Toronto

Atlanta
    Charlotte
    Miami
    Orlando
    Washington
    Maybe I'm missing something but isn't that just 61 games? The league would never cut that many games tbh interesting concept though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would help if the NBA moved to an NFL/MLB style and just had conferences that were unrelated to their geography. With local divisions, there's no need to have geographic conferences anyway.
    Agreed. Not sure why they're so opposed to the idea.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Maybe I'm missing something but isn't that just 61 games? The league would never cut that many games tbh interesting concept though.
    I think what he meant was "playing twice against each team of other conferences", so the figure "21" should be multiplied by 2 according to his calculation, and with the previous 40 games added the final result is exactly 82. But it puzzles me how the number "21" was calculated. There're only 20 teams outside your conference and if you play each of them twice, the final output is 40 and the total number of games played in a season is 80 instead of 82, imho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think what he meant was "playing twice against each team of other conferences", so the figure "21" should be multiplied by 2 according to his calculation, and with the previous 40 games added the final result is exactly 82. But it puzzles me how the number "21" was calculated. There're only 20 teams outside your conference and if you play each of them twice, the final output is 40 and the total number of games played in a season is 80 instead of 82, imho.
    Ah okay. And I think he said there will be an odd team you play 3 times? That still just makes 81 so maybe there are two odd teams you play three times.

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    You play 10 teams x 2= 20
    Add 1 more game against the said conference against one team and rotate that each year=21

x

2 (conferences)

42 extra non-conference games.

OR

20 divisional

20 other intra-conference divisional

21 conference A

21 conference B

82 games

Ah okay. And I think he said there will be an odd team you play 3 times? That still just makes 81 so maybe there are two odd teams you play three times.
    Yeah, you play an odd team each season from the other conferences and rotate.

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Another formula that could work is:

6x4=24 divisional games

4x5-2=18 intra-conference divisional games

10x2=20 conference A

10x2=20 conference B

82 games

I do the formula like that because the NBA likes every team visting every other NBA city at least once.

ALSO:

No divisions--

Conference teams play about 5 times intraconference and play everyone else twice.

Formula

9x5-3=42

10x2=20

10x2=20

Again, I'd take away from the interconference games to balance it to 82 games but the NBA wants every team in the league to play a home and home at least, which is why I took it from the intraconference games.
    Last edited by Caltex2; 10-01-2015 at 01:00 PM.

Thread Information