Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd think this. Pop might use the games to experiment. If they lose they lose.
    Hopefully those games do not decide seeding for the Spurs.
    Can't beat the Warriors if you don't get to them, like last season.
    I'd say it's pretty accurate that there's a 0% chance that Pop shows his cards in the first matchup, like DMC said..
    Steve Kerr knows this too. He's very savvy when it comes to how to play certain teams. He knows Pop and the Spurs very well. He'll exploit the fact that Pop won't show his hand.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think the Spurs would be the crowd favorite against GSW?
    No, definitely not..Warriors are the first dominant team I've seen in a long time that isn't really disliked by anybody outside of the fanbases of rival teams(Clippers, Spurs, Rockets, maybe Cavs)..Miami was hated by everybody, the Spurs were hated for being boring and "dirty", the Lakers were hated by everybody that wasn't a Lakers fan/bandwagoner, etc..

The style of play the Spurs will be playing in the playoffs is going to be unappealing, too, IMO, especially in contrast with the Warriors..they are probably the most entertaining team the league has ever seen..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is a reason why Pop is changing the playing style of Spurs. A lot of in and out offense. At the start of the season, we started making a lot post up moves so that we can be comfortable and effective by the end of the RS. This will slow down the pace as well. No one can stop Curry individually so we need a good team defense and that can be achieve by slowing the pace. We need to impose our will to win against GSW not the other way around. Once our offense start clicking, I like our chances against GSW.

Believe.
    My Team
    Minnesota Timberwolves
    Post Count
    Game 6 vs. the Thunder IIRC..I could be wrong, but I remember a lot of Ginobili/Green/Leonard throughout the 4th and OT..
    Yeah but wasn't TP "injured" in that game? This is only further proof that Pop doesn't view it as a realistic option unless we're in dire straights. God knows why.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Marc is soft as . Barnes was able to guard him. Also Draymond's wingspan is .75 inches less than Splitter and his standing reach is 4.5 inches less.
    We are talking about the same LMA that got his ass handed to him on defense by no other than Z-Bo. Gasol isn't soft, he's just a reluctant scorer ala Diaw.

LMA is a career 37% shooter against Draymond: http://bkref.com/tiny/W1bxj

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The lineup that will kill and that popovich hasn't played a single minute this year is:

Aldridge-Ginobili-Leonard-Green-Mills

I'm praying we will see this group on the floor together this year.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are talking about the same LMA that got his ass handed to him on defense by no other than Z-Bo. Gasol isn't soft, he's just a reluctant scorer ala Diaw.

LMA is a career 37% shooter against Draymond: http://bkref.com/tiny/W1bxj
    Gasol has some of the softest offensive game possible. He doesn't back people down like Diaw.

That's what happens when you just give it to a guy and say go to work. You have to have better ball movement and player movement to get players in better situations.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    The point of the lineup is to discourage GS from playing the small lineup since the Spurs will have more mismatches to exploit and an easier time guarding the pick and roll if they can switch it. Barnes/Iguodala aren't anywhere close to Green/Bogut at setting screens since they are much smaller and never set screens. The lineup is based on them going to Bogut/Ezeli, Green frontline. Aldridge will have a much better chance then Gasol at scoring on Green since he doesn't have the Euro cuck gene where he refuses to score over 20 points and constantly tries to make the pass. He will also be surrounded by shooters unlike Memphis who have one of the worst shooting teams in the league who made it easy to help Green out defensively. Iguodala and Barnes also aren't shooting 40% from 3 and Klay will probably pull his usual disappearing act like he does in the playoffs.
    Kerr has made it obvious he isn't shyt about making adjustment on the fly. Putting Bogut on Tony Allen isn't something Pop would have done b/c he in' stubborn along w/ putting Barnes on Z-Bo. Iggy/Klay set PLENTY of back-screens to free up Curry which is how he ends up w/ WIDE OPEN shots when the entire defense is trying to stop him. They simply use Bogut/Draymond b/c they want the PF/Cs to switch onto Curry. It's not Rocket science.

As far as Klay, he went off in Gm 2 (2013) when the Spurs were trying to blitz Curry & ever since then Kawhi has been his main defender. You don't want to light the house on fire b/c once he gets going dude can't miss (the guy scored 37 in a quarter for a reason):

If Iggy's shooting isn't a fluke then this is what's going to happen:

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Gasol has some of the softest offensive game possible. He doesn't back people down like Diaw.

That's what happens when you just give it to a guy and say go to work. You have to have better ball movement and player movement to get players in better situations.
    Gasol didn't look so soft when he was going up Tim in a couple of postseason series unlike LMA in 2014. LMA is the one ing about not wanting to play center meanwhile Gasol was DPOY. One of the reason Gasol struggled against the Warriors was b/c there was no room to operate in the paint since nobody was guarding Tony Allen/Jeff Green. It's not like Gasol hasn't sonned LMA in the post including this past postseason:

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gasol didn't look so soft when he was going up Tim in a couple of postseason series unlike LMA in 2014. LMA is the one ing about not wanting to play center meanwhile Gasol was DPOY. One of the reason Gasol struggled against the Warriors was b/c there was no room to operate in the paint since nobody was guarding Tony Allen/Jeff Green. It's not like Gasol hasn't sonned LMA in the post including this past postseason:

Did you even watch that video? Jumpshots and running across the lane avoiding all contact.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Did you even watch that video? Jumpshots and running across the lane avoiding all contact.
    LMA standing like a flag pole not being physical

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We always talk about it but has Pop -ever- used a lineup with Manu as PG along with two wings? Other than when we were short on PGs?
    Not in recent times. I am not an oldie so i don't know about the old championship teams and what not, but I don't know why Pop would, since Tony was so young and explosive at the time then too.

Pop did it to close out the WCF because Tony was injured, but it wasn't for much. Tony famously played through his injury and was sucking, as you can imagine, but still Tony played a half. Then Pop kept Cojo or Patty as much as possible in the second half, and only had Manu by himself as the ball handler for a few minutes.

I think Pop would try to avoid that scenario, the ball pressure if you are the only ballhander that can handle the pressure on the floor is a lot and Manu is old.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure about Diaw b/c he looked like shyt defensively this season. Tony at PG then playing Kawhi at the 4 might be the best lineup to counter the Warriors "Death Squad" unless Diaw can dominate Barnes in the post: Curry/Klay/Iggy/Barnes/Draymond
    Surprisingly Pop has mostly went away from Diaw as the small ball PF this season, which is bizarre, since that's a part of his value and it'll especially be so against the Warriors.

Also, this team is not built to play significant stretches, let alone a series, flooded with small ball. They only have three quality wings (one of whom can't handle significant minutes), their PG's can only play together in certain match-ups and three of their best nine players are PF's.

We always talk about it but has Pop -ever- used a lineup with Manu as PG along with two wings? Other than when we were short on PGs?
    He can't, at least not for long stretches. This team only has three quality wings and he's clearly trying to limit Ginobili to around 20 mpg, which means his minutes have to come while Leonard/Green rest. This is also the reason why it's difficult to play Leonard at PF for long stretches.

As far as the rotation against the Warriors, since it'll probably be difficult to play Duncan and Aldridge together for long stretches and they can't afford to limit Duncan to being a bit player, he and Diaw need to consume Wests' minutes.

Parker and Mills can't play together (Livingston would abuse either in the post) and they obviously can't afford to waste minutes on Anderson or Butler. This means a strict three wing rotation, which also means little to no Leonard at PF. This is partially why an upgrade on fourth wing is necessary, to unlock more lineup possibilities.

That said, similar to the '14 Finals, I think staying big and always having dual post up threats is the way to go. They're not out small balling this team; they have to beat them by playing to their strengths.

Also, similar to the match-up with the Heat, if the Spurs are clearly winning the battle of conventional ball, I expect the Warriors to lean more and more on small ball lineups, particularly their preferred one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In terms of combating their small-ball lineup (Curry/Klay/Iggy/Barnes/Draymond), I think Parker/Manu/Green/Kawhi/Aldridge is our best bet. Hope LMA can exploit Draymond in the post, and that Kawhi/LMA can dominate the boards against Barnes/Draymond.

I do think a Manu/Green/Kawhi/Diaw/Aldridge unit could be effective as well. Gives us mismatches at both PF and C (Barnes on Diaw, Draymond on Aldridge), and we'd have a huge advantage on the boards.

Three And Counting ...
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who ever can block a three point shot.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Surprisingly Pop has mostly went away from Diaw as the small ball PF this season, which is bizarre, since that's a part of his value and it'll especially be so against the Warriors.

Also, this team is not built to play significant stretches, let alone a series, flooded with small ball. They only have three quality wings (one of whom can't handle significant minutes), their PG's can only play together in certain match-ups and three of their best nine players are PF's.
    The X-Factor is going to be Diaw b/c if Pop plays LMA/Diaw against the "death squad" Barnes has to check him in the post so as long as he can play passable defense he can stay on the floor & take advantage. Z-Bo was able to play passable defense for 3 games so it's possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree. I think it should be the current lineup

Tony
    Green
    Kawhi
    Aldridge
    Duncan

Defensively

Kawhi guards Curry
    Green on Klay
    Tony on Barnes
    Aldridge on Draymond
    Duncan on the big

Put our best defenders on Curry/Thompson. Curry would guard Tony on D and hopefully if Tony is on his game he can tire Curry out by constantly running through screens. Same goes for Danny with Thompson. I don't mind pulling LMA out of the blocks to guard Draymond, and leave Timmy down low to contest shots. I would try to force Barnes to matchup with Tony. Hopefully it would take them out of their groove offensively. Also let Aldridge bully Green down low. Try and force this small lineup to play big.

On the bench
    Patty guards Barbosa
    Manu on Livingston
    Diaw/Kawhi on Iguodala
    West on Speights
    Boban on Bogut/Ezeli

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree. I think it should be the current lineup

Tony
    Green
    Kawhi
    Aldridge
    Duncan

Defensively

Kawhi guards Curry
    Green on Klay
    Tony on Barnes
    Aldridge on Draymond
    Duncan on the big

Put our best defenders on Curry/Thompson. Curry would guard Tony on D and hopefully if Tony is on his game he can tire Curry out by constantly running through screens. Same goes for Danny with Thompson. I don't mind pulling LMA out of the blocks to guard Draymond, and leave Timmy down low to contest shots. I would try to force Barnes to matchup with Tony. Hopefully it would take them out of their groove offensively. Also let Aldridge bully Green down low. Try and force this small lineup to play big.

On the bench
    Patty guards Barbosa
    Manu on Livingston
    Diaw/Kawhi on Iguodala
    West on Speights
    Boban on Bogut/Ezeli
    It is going to come down to who can impose their will. No one can out small the small ball GSW. Cavs gave them fits at times with superb perimeter D combined with their bigs crashing the boards and defending the rim well. They just ran down Lebron bc he had no help offensively.

A short measure of small ball will be played with the bench, but we have to play to our strengths.

Tony is bound to be on Curry at times, bc he'll get screens it doesn't matter much, and Tony needs to wear him out on the other end to a degree. You can't wear out Kawhi the entire series on Curry. He's an MVP player and will figure him out eventually, or the coach will. You have to give him different looks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills
    Kyle Anderson
    Butler
    Bonner
    Boban

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is going to come down to who can impose their will. No one can out small the small ball GSW. Cavs gave them fits at times with superb perimeter D combined with their bigs crashing the boards and defending the rim well. They just ran down Lebron bc he had no help offensively.

A short measure of small ball will be played with the bench, but we have to play to our strengths.

Tony is bound to be on Curry at times, bc he'll get screens it doesn't matter much, and Tony needs to wear him out on the other end to a degree. You can't wear out Kawhi the entire series on Curry. He's an MVP player and will figure him out eventually, or the coach will. You have to give him different looks.
    I agree. Tony will have to play some on Curry (only in the 1st half of even that), but mainly I would try to swap out Green/Leonard on Curry.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi is the only clear offensive mismatch the Spurs have vs. the Warriors, it wouldn't make any sense to waste his energy guarding Curry, especially since Steph can effectively run around screens all game..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi is the only clear offensive mismatch the Spurs have vs. the Warriors, it wouldn't make any sense to waste his energy guarding Curry, especially since Steph can effectively run around screens all game..
    No. What Kawhi can take away from Curry is much more than what Kawhi can do scoring over Warriors better defenders (i.e. Igoudala, Green).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. What Kawhi can take away from Curry is much more than what Kawhi can do scoring over Warriors better defenders (i.e. Igoudala, Green).
    It's really easy to eliminate a defender if the offensive player(Curry) is capable of shooting on the run and playing through screens at a high level..it's a complete waste, especially since none of the other Spurs offensive players have a mismatch(not to mention, who knows what Parker and Ginobili would look like in May)..

Kawhi has routinely dominated Iguodala and Barnes, in the past..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depends on what lineup the Warriors are using, they like the Spurs are flexible.

I disagree with people saying the Warriors can't be beat if the Spurs go small against them. A front court of LA/BD/KL (I'm thinking small as having TD out of the lineup and LA playing center), would give the Warriors small ball lineup of DG/HB/AI problems. Defensively, sag off of AI or HB--whichever one Diaw is guarding. Offensively, pound the ball inside using out lineup size/strength advantage. The mismatches we have against them (and other small ball lineups) are way more exploitable now that we have Aldridge, who has more mobility and is less a defensive liability than Tim and a lot more talent offensively than Splitter, who couldn't take advantage of small ball on offense.

Whatever lineups we use, the Spurs have size/strength advantage on GS and so expect us to play a much more old school "boring" style Spurs game, whether we do it going small or big.

EDIT: by "old school" I mean basically where our offense starts from the post instead of the perimeter, and we rely on ISO post ups where we run 4-downs for LA, BD, and KL instead of just TD.
    Last edited by mingus; 11-26-2015 at 03:40 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The X-Factor is going to be Diaw b/c if Pop plays LMA/Diaw against the "death squad" Barnes has to check him in the post so as long as he can play passable defense he can stay on the floor & take advantage. Z-Bo was able to play passable defense for 3 games so it's possible.
    Barnes is a stout post defender, but Diaw should still be able to post him for profit.

Aldridge and Diaw are going to be crucial in this match-up because at least physically, both should have mismatches.

I agree with Harlem, in that the Spurs can't afford to have Leonard expend so much energy defensively chasing Curry. Maybe in the last 5-6 minutes of the game, but that's about it. Besides, Leonard has clearly been in Thompson's head (who's confidence can easily be shaken) since he became the primary defender on him, in game 3 of the '13 series.

Thread Information