Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Former Florida Allies Assert on the Record That Rubio Is a Lazy, Devious Little Twerp

A very unsympathetic Friday profile in theTampa Bay Times suggests that part of the reason this is so is that Rubio's entire career has consisted of sweet-talking influential individuals into giving him big opportunities only to drop those individuals like hot rocks when another better thing comes along.

The idea is that now, when he needs home-state support more than ever, Rubio has no one on the ground to rely on; a number of past allies in fact went on the record to tell the Times exactly how little they like lil' Marco and how bad he is at actually doing the jobs he's chosen for. In other words, all the people he stepped on on the way up are ready to kick him in the groin on his way down, or however that aphorism goes.

Among the highlights:

• Rubio left his first-ever elected position, on the West Miami City Commission, after one year to run for the Florida House.
    • He "landed one of 12 highly desired spots" on a post-9/11 Florida Legislature security committee only to miss six out of its 15 meetings.
    • Mike Fasano, a former Florida House majority leader, chose Rubio as one of his whips but says he showed up so rarely to strategy meetings that asking "Where's Rep. Rubio?" became a running joke.
    • Hialeah mayor and GOP "kingmaker" Raúl Martinez, one of the first people Rubio spoke to about becoming speaker of the Florida House, now says he "wouldn't support [Rubio] for dog catcher" because of a broken promise related to school funding.
    • Tony DiMatteo, a Florida Republican who conducted straw polls that gave Rubio's U.S. Senate campaign a crucial early PR boost, says Rubio failed to follow through on his promise to help DiMatteo become party chairman. DiMatteo has already cast a ballot for Trump.
    • A South Florida activist named Joyce Kaufman says Rubio's "lying" and "betrayal"—namely, having run for Senate as a Tea Party hard-liner and then co-sponsored the Gang of Eight immigration bill in Congress—has "cost him greatly."
    • Rubio actually bailed so early on the Gang of Eight bill that he didn't show up for the news conference when it passed the Senate. John McCain, a fellow Gang of Eight member, was reportedly disgusted by his public hedging on the bill.
    • A fundraising committee that Rubio set up in Florida to ostensibly help other candidates raised $386,000 but only gave out $4,000. The Times says a similar pattern pertained with a PAC Rubio set up when once he got to the U.S. Senate: "As he had years earlier while angling for House speaker, Rubio used much of the money for himself—giving less than $1 to candidates out of every $20 spent, according to an analysis by National Journal."

Pretty much every politician screws some people over;

Rubio's problem at this point seems to be that he's got so few current allies that none of the people from his past are afraid of saying publicly that they think he's the worst.

Also, this has been reported before, but Marco Rubio had a 2.1 grade point average in high school. 2.1! That's terrible.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...a_friends.html

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/stateroundup/rise-and-stall-the-political-trajectory-of-marco-rubio/2268968

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Former Florida Allies Assert on the Record That Rubio Is a Lazy, Devious Little Twerp

A very unsympathetic Friday profile in theTampa Bay Times suggests that part of the reason this is so is that Rubio's entire career has consisted of sweet-talking influential individuals into giving him big opportunities only to drop those individuals like hot rocks when another better thing comes along.

The idea is that now, when he needs home-state support more than ever, Rubio has no one on the ground to rely on; a number of past allies in fact went on the record to tell the Times exactly how little they like lil' Marco and how bad he is at actually doing the jobs he's chosen for. In other words, all the people he stepped on on the way up are ready to kick him in the groin on his way down, or however that aphorism goes.

Among the highlights:

• Rubio left his first-ever elected position, on the West Miami City Commission, after one year to run for the Florida House.
    • He "landed one of 12 highly desired spots" on a post-9/11 Florida Legislature security committee only to miss six out of its 15 meetings.
    • Mike Fasano, a former Florida House majority leader, chose Rubio as one of his whips but says he showed up so rarely to strategy meetings that asking "Where's Rep. Rubio?" became a running joke.
    • Hialeah mayor and GOP "kingmaker" Raúl Martinez, one of the first people Rubio spoke to about becoming speaker of the Florida House, now says he "wouldn't support [Rubio] for dog catcher" because of a broken promise related to school funding.
    • Tony DiMatteo, a Florida Republican who conducted straw polls that gave Rubio's U.S. Senate campaign a crucial early PR boost, says Rubio failed to follow through on his promise to help DiMatteo become party chairman. DiMatteo has already cast a ballot for Trump.
    • A South Florida activist named Joyce Kaufman says Rubio's "lying" and "betrayal"—namely, having run for Senate as a Tea Party hard-liner and then co-sponsored the Gang of Eight immigration bill in Congress—has "cost him greatly."
    • Rubio actually bailed so early on the Gang of Eight bill that he didn't show up for the news conference when it passed the Senate. John McCain, a fellow Gang of Eight member, was reportedly disgusted by his public hedging on the bill.
    • A fundraising committee that Rubio set up in Florida to ostensibly help other candidates raised $386,000 but only gave out $4,000. The Times says a similar pattern pertained with a PAC Rubio set up when once he got to the U.S. Senate: "As he had years earlier while angling for House speaker, Rubio used much of the money for himself—giving less than $1 to candidates out of every $20 spent, according to an analysis by National Journal."

Pretty much every politician screws some people over;

Rubio's problem at this point seems to be that he's got so few current allies that none of the people from his past are afraid of saying publicly that they think he's the worst.

Also, this has been reported before, but Marco Rubio had a 2.1 grade point average in high school. 2.1! That's terrible.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...a_friends.html

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/stateroundup/rise-and-stall-the-political-trajectory-of-marco-rubio/2268968

What was his college GPA - that (and LSAT) is what entry into law school is based on.

He needs to put in the time and serve more - too ambitious - climbed too high TOO FAST - has no real accomplishments. Bad luck - this isn't the year for an insider. He should try for Florida governor (year after next?), serve 8 years and try for president again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was the University of Florida an open-admissions college at the time? How do you get into a flagship state school with a 2.1 GPA? AA for Cuban-Americans?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was the University of Florida an open-admissions college at the time? How do you get into a flagship state school with a 2.1 GPA? AA for Cuban-Americans?
    He went to a community college first.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably transfer from community college. UF was not the picky, selective ins ution it is now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He did go to a CC first according to Wikipedia.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will party trump principle for Marco Rubio?

Ten days ago, facing media speculation about his future, Rubio sounded annoyed. “I have only said like 10,000 times I will be a private citizen in January,” the senator said on Twitter. Yesterday, however, instead of sticking to his position, the Floridian seemed to open the door a crack. Bloomberg Politicsreported:

Now, Rubio – who said he would not stand for Senate re-election when he announced his failed presidential bid – said it is “unlikely” he will change his mind before the Florida filing deadline on June 24. The state’s primary will be held Aug. 30.

“This is just something that happened today or what have you. For me, I need time to even talk to anybody about it, but my sense of it is nothing has changed in my thinking,” he told reporters at the Capitol.

That may not sound like much of a shift, but let’s not overlook recent history.

Rubio, in a rare display of integrity, publicly promised
    when launching his presidential campaign that it was White House or bust.

After his candidacy failed, the Republican repeatedly said, in no uncertain terms, that he’s looking forward to being a private citizen in the new year. Rubio became irritated by any suggestions to the contrary.

And yet, yesterday, his answer to the same question was far from categorical, which as he must have realized, renewed speculation about whether the Florida senator is willing to break his promise.

Complicating matters, this was arguably the second most controversial thing Rubio said yesterday. This Washington Post report was almost hard to believe.

Reversing months of comments to the contrary, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) now says he plans to attend the Republican National Convention and will release his delegates to vote for the presumed party nominee, Donald Trump.

Rubio once warned that nominating Trump would “fracture the Republican Party” and faulted the business magnate for stoking violence at his rallies.

But in a CNN interview on Thursday, Rubio said he’s attending the GOP convention in Cleveland because “I want to be helpful. I don’t want to be harmful, because I don’t want Hillary Clinton to be president.”

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...d=sm_fb_maddow

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haha how much money did rubio pocket for the endorsement

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marco has turned into Christie .2 lap dog.

He was on CNN yesterday morning giving Trump one of the most displayful sloppie blowjobs in TV history. This guy has no self esteem left.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Marco has turned into Christie .2 lap dog.

He was on CNN yesterday morning giving Trump one of the most displayful sloppie blowjobs in TV history. This guy has no self esteem left.
    That's your boy, Reck. He "apologized" to Trump

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's your boy, Reck. He "apologized" to Trump
    You guys should make up your minds already. Am I a Hillary guy or a Rubio guy. Cant be both son.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    You guys should make up your minds already. Am I a Hillary guy or a Rubio guy. Cant be both son.
    Sure it can, you supported both

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure it can, you supported both
    I never did.

Or you know, you can try to prove where I did. I'll wait.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I never did.

Or you know, you can try to prove where I did. I'll wait.
    You were pretty much in Rubio's corner on the debate thread, tbh

Pretty sure you said few times you thought Hillary was the best candidate remaining.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You were pretty much in Rubio's corner on the debate thread, tbh

Pretty sure you said few times you thought Hillary was the best candidate remaining.
    Wrong on both accounts.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Wrong on both accounts.
    You kept exaggerating how Rubio was ting on Trump at the debates and said Rubio was the best choice on the republican field before Florida.

Tbh, are you really going to deny that you said Hillary was the best of the mainstream candidates? I dunno if you're a Jill Stein guy

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You kept exaggerating how Rubio was ting on Trump at the debates and said Rubio was the best choice on the republican field before Florida.

Tbh, are you really going to deny that you said Hillary was the best of the mainstream candidates? I dunno if you're a Jill Stein guy
    I said a few nice things about Jeb, too. Was I a supporter of him too? Nice logic.

I dont want anything to do with the stain republican party. I do remember saying I thought Rubio was the most common sense guy out of all of them in the debates but that hardly makes me a supporter.

As far as Hillary, I've never committed to her. I didn't even vote in the New York Primaries. I've never said she was the best choice either. Like ever.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I said a few nice things about Jeb, too. Was I a supporter of him too? Nice logic.

I dont want anything to do with the stain republican party. I do remember saying I thought Rubio was the most common sense guy out of all of them in the debates but that hardly makes me a supporter.

As far as Hillary, I've never committed to her. I didn't even vote in the New York Primaries. I've never said she was the best choice either. Like ever.
    Alright, no candidate then.

Then join me in voting for Trump, Reck

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alright, no candidate then.

Then join me in voting for Trump, Reck

What happened with Bernie? I thought you were a supporter of his? I will take my shoe laces over Trump.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    What happened with Bernie? I thought you were a supporter of his? I will take my shoe laces over Trump.
    I'm a realist, Reck. Bernie can't win unless he pulled out with over 75% of California, I got no hopes outside of Hillary getting an indictment. I like some of Trump's stances on trade, military intervention, diplomacy ( ing stop acting like we're in cold war with russia) and gutting unnecessary federal regulation. Not my ideal candidate, but if I want Hillary and her pandering, lying, corrupt ass.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rubio is a less slimeball. Watch him reverse his "vows" yet again and run for office.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rubio breaks his word, decides to seek re-election

After his national campaign failed miserably, Rubio heard the speculation about him possibly breaking his word, and he dismissed the chatter as an irritating distraction. Just five weeks ago, the senator, annoyed by Beltway scuttlebutt, said on Twitter, “I have only said like 10,000 times I will be a private citizen in January.”

But the political pressure started soon after. Republican officials, facing the prospect of a Democratic Senate, began urging Rubio to break his word. According to the Washington Post, he’s going to do exactly that.

Sen. Marco Rubio will announce Wednesday he will seek re-election to the Senate, reversing a pledge he made a year ago to either assume the presidency or return to private life in Florida, instantly transforming an already compe ive race and improving the chances that Republicans can maintain the Senate majority.

This reversal will surprise no one; the far-right senator has been telegraphing the move for weeks. It was largely a matter of when, not if, Rubio would go back on his promise to the public.

But that doesn’t make the reversal any less ridiculous.

Part of this story seems to be widely misunderstood by pundits. As Rubio started sending signals about doing what he vowed not to do, much of the chatter focused on the Floridian’s record of missing votes, blowing off committee hearings, and generally refusing to take his professional responsibilities seriously.

And while all of that was true, it’s also an incomplete look at the picture.

The problem wasn’t just Rubio’s reluctance to do his job; it was also his argument, made repeatedly on the presidential campaign trail, that his job didn’t matter.

Rubio argued over and over again that Senate work is dumb and pointless, and it just didn’t matter if he showed up for work or not.

The Washington Post recently published a good piece on this:

The 45-year-old has heretofore made no secret of his distaste for the world’s greatest deliberative body. His friends have said he “hates” the job.

Rubio himself was unapologetic about missing more votes than any other senator during his failed presidential campaign, often complaining about how “frustrating” it is to serve as a member of Congress. […]

When Donald Trump attacked him for missing votes at a debate in California last September, Rubio replied: “I am leaving the Senate, I’m not running for reelection, and I’m running for president because I know this: unless we have the right president, we cannot make America fulfill its potential…. If we keep electing the same people, nothing is going to change. … And you’re right, I have missed some votes, and I’ll tell you why, Mr. Trump. Because in my years in the Senate, I’ve figured out very quickly that the political establishment in Washington, D.C., in both political parties is completely out of touch with the lives of our people.”

He said in various other interviews that the missed votes were “not a big deal” and that many were “inconsequential.”

Stephen Colbert recently joked on his show,

“To Rubio, the Senate is a useless hunk of bureaucratic sewage and … he might be running for re-election.”

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...d=sm_fb_maddow

Thread Information