Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whatever happened to this? Do you remember when LA would sprint to beat his man and get great position down low and, as a result, quick easy baskets?
    He plays well at a time of his choosing. When he decides to assert himself, he shoots the ball without hesitation and moves a lot better than we've seen. He doesn't bring it every night and seems to feel he doesn't have to. Why is that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RJ part deux

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Make of this what you will: I learned today that about a month ago, Pop was overheard venting his frustration to another coach (unsure if it was a Spurs coach or a visiting coach, but it was someone short and foreign - possibly Eastern European or Russian) that Aldridge just "doesn't get it". The conversation happened at one of Pop's favorite post game dinner hangouts and got a little loud. It went beyond any positive spin of "It will just take time", "he's trying to find his spots", type of stuff. It was more, "I don't know what to do with him".

Not knowing Pop, I'm unsure if this is just par for the course when someone is having a hard time grasping the system, etc.. In the early months, it seemed as though LMA was doing better than expected on defense but was being too passive on offense. If Pop was really frustrated back then, I think he has to be pleased with where LMA is now. He looks more comfortable to me on offense although he seems to take his time coming up the court on change of possessions. I'm not sure what that's about but it doesn't seem helpful.

So where do you think we are with Aldridge? Is he making good progress and getting better acclimated or do you think he will be a question mark the rest of the way? In any case, he's much better than what we got from Splitter.
    this thread would have at least a modi credibility if the Spurs had started something like 10-8 with LMA playing no D while contributing nothing on offense..
    You bunch of re s, was there something so scandalous or sensational in what I shared about Pop's comments? Believe it or not, there are people out there who are privy to information that you and I aren't. Good Gawd, I earned a Broussard reference just for my post? Tough crowd.

I thought what I shared would be appreciated by those who have been wondering just how tough the transition for LMA has really been. Well, I'm convinced now that its been tougher than I thought and what has been reported by the local & national media.

I remember a game this year where Aldridge was supposedly not feeling well and kept passing up really good shots. He reminded me of Kobe when he decided to only shoot 3 times in the second half of a playoff game against Phoenix. It just seemed strange.
    (EDIT: Nov. 16 game at home against Portland. LMA scored 6 pts on 8 attempted shots in 34 minutes). That game was in San Antonio and was a little over a month ago. The timing is close and makes sense for Pop to have been upset with the performance.

LMA has looked more comfortable and has put up better numbers the last few weeks. Hopefully there has been a breakthrough and he continues to get better. The Spurs are doing great record-wise and can definitely improve.

This was from December of 2015, two months in to Aldridge's tenure here. Lol, I took so much for sharing some inside info in this thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Lol, I took so much for sharing some inside info in this thread.
    I hope you are right on your take on Tony... if he's really not coming back from that injury right he needs to retire.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope you are right on your take on Tony... if he's really not coming back from that injury right he needs to retire.
    I hope I'm right about Parker too, but him getting salary dumped is more of my opinion than anything else. I can tell you for certain that the coaching staff and front office were not amused with TP stating he wanted one last contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People doubting the OP but I always believed the stories. LMDiva has always been a thing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Me and my RobDiaz told you homies for ever that LMA is and always was trash.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But even your report that Pop didn't know what to do with LMA. It's hard to believe that there wouldn't be some adjustment period once he got here, and that the adjustment would be biggest from the new guy, and not the ones who had been playing together for years. There was plenty of discussion here about how they were all going to play together, would there be enough touches for everyone, etc. I thought the team progressed pretty much as expected, all things considered. (Especially since Tim couldn't seem to finish around the basket.)

I don't doubt you one bit that someone told you that. It's just hard to believe that Pop was that surprised or frustrated by what he saw, considering the team was .800 in November. Easier for me to believe that Pop was being sarcastic (or ironic, or whatever the ) about all the ing about LMA and the team in general. But I wasn't there.
    Looking back on this, I only conveyed what I heard from someone else and like everyone else, ca only try and guess as to what "I don't know what to do with him" meant. Did Pop mean "I don't know what to do with him" on the court or was it more of "I don't know what to do with him" because he's frustrating the out of me by not getting on board with the system or plan? Meh, who knows. Anyhoo, I'm thinking the short European coach was probably Ettore Messina.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Me and my RobDiaz told you homies for ever that LMA is and always was trash.
    He always seemed to put up big regular season numbers against the Spurs and had a fantastic playoff series against Houston one year. I think there was a lot of hope that he would flourish here and benefit from being a Spur. I don't recall what you said but if it was along the lines of him being a "me first", selfish prima donna, then yeah -

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope I'm right about Parker too, but him getting salary dumped is more of my opinion than anything else. I can tell you for certain that the coaching staff and front office were not amused with TP stating he wanted one last contract.
    What did you say about TP and where did you say it?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What did you say about TP and where did you say it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said the Spurs will salary dump TP if there is a taker for his contract. There are people in this forum that are adamant the organization would NEVER do it out of loyalty to him. In my opinion, TP is done as an NBA player.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can tell you for certain that the coaching staff and front office were not amused with TP stating he wanted one last contract.
    How so, if you dont mind me asking?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How so, if you dont mind me asking?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Year one he had a solid season. Year 2 was mostly subpar. I'm guessing TD kept him in line, but once TD retired, LMA stopped putting in the work. He came into camp out of shape and then couldn't make a jump shot, which was his bread and butter. Better take this season seriously or he is going to lose some money. You screw up your relationship here and it scares teams away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't understand all this "teams will be scared away" about LMA. LMA, despite any flaws, is no where near the level of diva that teams deal with all the time.

If teams don't want him it will solely be because they don't think he's that good anymore. If you have talent, teams don't care about your at ude (see Cousins being moved, etc.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy has always been credible. Funny how the idiots on page one are now eating their words.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't understand all this "teams will be scared away" about LMA. LMA, despite any flaws, is no where near the level of diva that teams deal with all the time.

If teams don't want him it will solely be because they don't think he's that good anymore. If you have talent, teams don't care about your at ude (see Cousins being moved, etc.)
    LA will be dumped for nothing or at best a late 1st. Spurs have to get commitment from another quality big first tho ( Ibaka, Blake) or I even think SA trades him for nothing if they get a mid tier big to commit ( Pat Patterson, Terrence Jones).

LA wont be a Spur next year, no way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He's been a malcontent at two good franchises so far. and is on the last year of his contract. A team would have to be assured he won't be a University of Texas prima donna and that he'll want to stick around for another contract.

If he's going to be a baby and sourpuss, then the Spurs will have to use assets to unload him to a team with cap space. Otherwise, what teams would he want to play for long term? Phoenix? Los Angeles?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's been a malcontent at two good franchises so far. and is on the last year of his contract. A team would have to be assured he won't be a University of Texas prima donna and that he'll want to stick around for another contract.

If he's going to be a baby and sourpuss, then the Spurs will have to use assets to unload him to a team with cap space. Otherwise, what teams would he want to play for long term? Phoenix? Los Angeles?
    I NEVER imagined Aldridge as a salary dump candidate this year but I think its in play. Unfortunately, it might mean that Parker stays on the roster. I'd love to see Parker and Aldridge's salary cleared off. Perhaps they package a serviceable Danny Green with Tony's lame contract in a salary dump.

My hope would be that DG stays and comes off the bench. He is a solid role player but not worthy of starting in today's NBA. He can't score enough and is too limited. KL needs help or he's going to turn out like Lebron. Tired as because he has to do everything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone seen the movie Little Big League? There is a great scene where a disgruntled vet is half assing his play because he wants to be traded. The kid manager (you have to see the movie) calls him out basically saying "you'll play, and you'll play hard, because if you don't, you're only lowering your own value and nobody will want you.

I looked for the clip on YouTube to post it but can't find it. Its a decent movie too with some great baseball scenes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone seen the movie Little Big League? There is a great scene where a disgruntled vet is half assing his play because he wants to be traded. The kid manager (you have to see the movie) calls him out basically saying "you'll play, and you'll play hard, because if you don't, you're only lowering your own value and nobody will want you.

I looked for the clip on YouTube to post it but can't find it. Its a decent movie too with some great baseball scenes.
    I've seen this movie, well most of it as I wasn't able to catch all of it. Also (from the movie), if a 12 year old kid can cut his favourite player for not being able to perform anymore, why can't the Spurs trade Parker? That's another valuable lesson the Spurs need to learn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the record, I don't even want Parker back for a minimum deal as a bench player. If he wants to keep playing, he needs to go somewhere else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've seen this movie, well most of it as I wasn't able to catch all of it. Also (from the movie), if a 12 year old kid can cut his favourite player for not being able to perform anymore, why can't the Spurs trade Parker? That's another valuable lesson the Spurs need to learn.
    Yes. Forgot about that scene too! Very true.

After the aging star hits a single the kid gets all excited.

"Kid, don't you think there's a problem when you get that excited over a seeing-eye single?"

Then when the kid cuts him in the office, the player goes off on the him about how is he supposed to tell his wife. Great scene.

Thread Information