Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

My only concern with Payton is offense and he's old already considering. I think defensively he could be swapped with my Cousins pick, except he can't shoot the three. With that said I wouldn't pick Cousins, Newman, Payton, or ulis with a first. My guess is if we picked up Ray with a second round pick we plan on keeping him. I doubt we let him walk and more so, I don't think any pays any big contract for him. I think we are set at the PG spot. That's where guards like cordinier and especially Grayson come in. They can guard both guard positions and for Grayson, he might be able to play a combo guard role which is really what we need. Not to mention he has an excellent motor.

Imo the first will be spent on a center, sf, or combo guard. No stretch four or pg. Best player available or biggest need is what I think it'll come down to. If it's need, it may very well be center. Best player might be Cordinier imo. Kids got lottery talent. Only knock is that he hasn't played against legit comp.
    I see GPII as a hybrid of Tony Allen/Avery Bradley:

-Built like Bradley (as athletic as either one) & can play combo guard (has shaky handles like a young George Hill)

-Has Tony Allen's rebounding ability & shooting touch

-Likes to take it to the hole like pre-injury Tony Allen

-Tony Allen was 23 when he got drafted & was essentially ready to play from day 1.

You also have MCW, Elfrid Payton, Dante Exum & Marcus Smart recently getting drafted in the lotto based on potential when they couldn't shoot a lick.

Ray isn't bringing to the table anything that Patty/Tony aren't & is essentially being used as a NECESSARY emergency backup since Tony has been breaking down the past couple of season. With the departure of CoJo, PATFO needed a 3rd string point guard who was NBA ready & having been a starter on a lotto team Ray was qualified for the job.

This upcoming Summer the team needs to look for a long term defensive minded point guard because that is what the team is lacking & is necessary in a conference which sports the top 3 point god in the league: Curry, Westbrook, Cp3. (You also have CJ/Lillard, either one of whom could run circles around Tony/Patty in a playoff series).

You aren't going to get an NBA ready center with the 29th pick (Should have cap space to sign Ian or even Noah if Tim/Manu retire...there is also Hibbert) & that defeats the purpose of winning NOW while LMA is in his prime. There is no need for a wing player when you have Kawhi/Danny starting & being backed up by Simmons/Kyle(who can't even get consistent minutes in the regular season). A combo guard would be welcomed with Manu on the verge of retiring & Tony on a decline but that is exactly what GPII is, a defensive minded combo guard.

If you look at recent history there have been a handful of wing players that have been signed from the D-League & a couple centers from the Euro league that have made a smooth transition to the NBA without costing the team a 1st rd pick. I can't think of one point guard that made the same transition, actually the Euro league point guards have been busts & the D-League point guard couldn't stick. GPII is a known commaditiy who isn't going to be drafted based on potential or being able to run the offense in the NBA, he's just going to be a game manager & energy guy/defensive stopper who will be asked to play spot minutes in the postseason ala CoJo.
    Last edited by Kawhitstorm; 02-14-2016 at 05:19 PM.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I think how diaw plays this post season is going to be huge. If he somehow plays poorly, I don't see us keeping him. He seems disinterested imo. And I think by next year Kyle will have enough time to further develop his body and slide into that role.

I guess it also depends on who we'd waive diaw to get and I don't think he has much trade value. Just thinking the way diaws contract is set up it actually may have some value in this aspect, if we do trade him for say a second round pick or maybe Toronto's late first, that team knowing his past will have a two year trial with him to see if he plays and if not they can waive him and save money on his partially non guaranteed deal. And with Boris there might be enough incentive to play for that money knowing it will be his last and if with Toronto, he might play since they're a so to speak contender, not to mention they have a need at pf. Might be a dark horse move at the trade deadline. Maybe not
    PATFO isn't trading Diaw when LMA/West/Boban are newbies along with Fathead being unplayable in big games. I could see his partially guaranteed contract being used as a bait to re-acquire Tiago if Tim retires & the team can't land Noah.

Diaw showed he can still bully small-ball lineups against the Heat & is just cruising like Horry. He's actually playing better than last season, folks don't notice it b/c Ayres has been replaced by West.
    Last edited by Kawhitstorm; 02-14-2016 at 05:31 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good point. In my mind, I'm convinced that we are gonna draft a big for next year. I think we have to because Tim close to retiring and so with David, depending on if we win it all this year. Also pulling the money together to sign a quality big will be difficult to say the least so drafting well will be the most realistic approach. That's why I've been thoroughly scouting bigs. We could also use help at sg, sf, and a stretch four, but the biggest concern is c, especially with boban being somewhat situational and not that great of a rim protector. If he resigns, that gives us one center if Tim is gone. So between the draft, maybe signing Milutinov, and free agency we got to figure this out. I doubt the Spurs want to waive Diaw, but between Kyle playing best as a stretch four and diaws lethargic play the last few weeks we might do it for the right piece.

As for if we want to have three rookies on board for next year, we just might have to.
    Not news, but in the end it all depends on Tim. If he stays I think they stash the pick and bring over Bertans (best prospect) and LJC (per others here, he holds the leverage to force Spurs hand). Then roll with pretty much the team you have now minus bonner and butler/Manu, and play the FA market in 2017.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The other possibility this year is swapping picks to move up by attaching one of our good young assets like Anderson or Simmons.

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see GPII as a hybrid of Tony Allen/Avery Bradley:

-Built like Bradley (as athletic as either one) & can play combo guard (has shaky handles like a young George Hill)

-Has Tony Allen's rebounding ability & shooting touch

-Likes to take it to the hole like pre-injury Tony Allen

-Tony Allen was 23 when he got drafted & was essentially ready to play from day 1.

You also have MCW, Elfrid Payton, Dante Exum & Marcus Smart recently getting drafted in the lotto based on potential when they couldn't shoot a lick.

Ray isn't bringing to the table anything that Patty/Tony aren't & is essentially being used as a NECESSARY emergency backup since Tony has been breaking down the past couple of season. With the departure of CoJo, PATFO needed a 3rd string point guard who was NBA ready & having been a starter on a lotto team Ray was qualified for the job.

This upcoming Summer the team needs to look for a long term defensive minded point guard because that is what the team is lacking & is necessary in a conference which sports the top 3 point god in the league: Curry, Westbrook, Cp3. (You also have CJ/Lillard, either one of whom could run circles around Tony/Patty in a playoff series).

You aren't going to get an NBA ready center with the 29th pick (Should have cap space to sign Ian or even Noah if Tim/Manu retire...there is also Hibbert) & that defeats the purpose of winning NOW while LMA is in his prime. There is no need for a wing player when you have Kawhi/Danny starting & being backed up by Simmons/Kyle(who can't even get consistent minutes in the regular season). A combo guard would be welcomed with Manu on the verge of retiring & Tony on a decline but that is exactly what GPII is, a defensive minded combo guard.

If you look at recent history there have been a handful of wing players that have been signed from the D-League & a couple centers from the Euro league that have made a smooth transition to the NBA without costing the team a 1st rd pick. I can't think of one point guard that made the same transition, actually the Euro league point guards have been busts & the D-League point guard couldn't stick. GPII is a known commaditiy who isn't going to be drafted based on potential or being able to run the offense in the NBA, he's just going to be a game manager & energy guy/defensive stopper who will be asked to play spot minutes in the postseason ala CoJo.
    Finally watched a Payton game. Watched Oregon state play the utes, when they win the game on a foul at the end.

First of all you make some good points. Although I don't see it I watched with an open mind and I do think he's a top of prospect in our range. He had like 20pts 6rbs 6a and he made it look so effortless. Wish I could of seem him in some on ball D but they played zone for most the game so I'll need to watch more on that end. On offense he looked confident shooting and had a good shooting night. Pedigree is important for this prospect since he's the gloves son and he's got a pro in his ears when he makes a mistake and doesn't play up to par. I think his next step on offense is the pick and roll. Saw him doing this at the end of the game with the game on the line and he made some good decisions. Want to see more. Looking forward to his next game. Oh and he can rebound for a guard really well.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Good point. In my mind, I'm convinced that we are gonna draft a big for next year. I think we have to because Tim close to retiring and so with David, depending on if we win it all this year. Also pulling the money together to sign a quality big will be difficult to say the least so drafting well will be the most realistic approach. That's why I've been thoroughly scouting bigs. We could also use help at sg, sf, and a stretch four, but the biggest concern is c, especially with boban being somewhat situational and not that great of a rim protector. If he resigns, that gives us one center if Tim is gone. So between the draft, maybe signing Milutinov, and free agency we got to figure this out. I doubt the Spurs want to waive Diaw, but between Kyle playing best as a stretch four and diaws lethargic play the last few weeks we might do it for the right piece.

As for if we want to have three rookies on board for next year, we just might have to.
    Pop is trying to win NOW w/ LMA which is why he wasn't hesitant to ship out Tiago for nothing, let CoJo walk, draft a stash along with signing Butler instead of a young prospect. There is no way Pop is carrying 3 rookies along with Kyle/Simmons if Tim/Manu retire. There will be about 14 mill in cap space if Tim/Manu retire which should be enough to lure Noah. Manu's loss can be mitigated by Kyle/Simmons & the point guard position could be strengthened via the draft.

Just look at 2013-14 when the PATFO wasn't sure if Tim/Manu were going to retire at the end of the season: They drafted the best talent in the field (Kyle) instead of a big (Jokic). The two most recent centers (Baynes/Boban) were scooped up from the Euro league & Tiago/Ian didn't play much during their rookie season. When Admrial retired they scooped up a proven starter in Rasho who was eventually replaced by a Euro league free agent (Oberto).

If Tim retires, they are going to be looking for a plug-and-play proven vet (Noah, Ian, Mozgov, Hibbert) that can play alongside LMA rather than a project big. On the other hand, they haven't been shy to pull the trigger in the 1st rd on point guards (Beno, Hill, CoJo, Kyle) that weren't stashed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I have watched him at the FIBA Asia Championship and he played really well in that tournament. The level of play is obviously not the highest but his skill set is certainly intriguing.
    It's not every day that you see a 7' 2" (7' 6.5" wingspan) center who has range all the way out to the three point line and is capable of protecting the rim. He is no stiff either, moving quite well for his size. His biggest weakness is his lack of strength. The guy is probably as skinny as Bertans when he was drafted.
    Apart from the physical development you also have to factor in the language barrier and getting used to another culture. So he would definitely be a very long term project.

I think he has a higher ceiling than both Milutinov and Boban but who knows if he can live to that. He's pretty much the definition of a high risk-high reward pick. But when you are picking 29th I don't think you can pass up that type of potential.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I have watched him at the FIBA Asia Championship and he played really well in that tournament. The level of play is obviously not the highest but his skill set is certainly intriguing.
    It's not every day that you see a 7' 2" (7' 6.5" wingspan) center who has range all the way out to the three point line and is capable of protecting the rim. He is no stiff either, moving quite well for his size. His biggest weakness is his lack of strength. The guy is probably as skinny as Bertans when he was drafted.
    Apart from the physical development you also have to factor in the language barrier and getting used to another culture. So he would definitely be a very long term project.

I think he has a higher ceiling than both Milutinov and Boban but who knows if he can live to that. He's pretty much the definition of a high risk-high reward pick. But when you are picking 29th I don't think you can pass up that type of potential.
    While the offensive aspect is tantalizing, just the thought of him getting abused in the post turns me off. I have watched draft express vid on him I think he'll be a bust. He would have to have the mental toughness and for ude to succeed here. I mean does he play scrappy or with at ude in any way that would lead you to be believe he won't get pushed around here.

My previous post share who I'm enamored with so I won't beat a dead horse but if we are gonna draft a project I would rather go with ibeh. Already has the size and athleticism of a pro just need to see if he can continue to improve and establish himself.

I'll watch his highlights again but I remember thinking he had lottery talent.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That draftexpress video certainly isn't very flattering. I don't remember him being that soft. You would have to watch some more video of his recent games to really tell how tough he is. I'll see if I can dig something up. His team is currently playing in the playoffs against Marbury's team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't really start looking at these mock drafts until May, but I looked quickly at draftexpress.com. Not sure if it's based on teams needs, or BPA at that pick, but currently they have the Spurs taking 6'11 power forward Petr Cornelie from France at the 29th pick. Looks like it's a very solid big man draft from small forwards-centers. As mentioned the Spurs really need to look at developing a point guard, even possibly a shooting guard/playmaking guard for the future. This Cornelie kids looks pretty impressive from those videos, he looks like he has the skill set of a lottery pick with how quick he moves for a seven shooter and how well he shoots from all over the floor. My guess is that he is a tweener between being a power forward and small forward, and he will be already 21 by the start of next year's NBA season if he comes over right away which I doubt in the Spurs system he will be at least 23 when he comes over. Also don't think the Spurs will want three rookies on the roster as I think Jean-Charles and Bertans will be on this roster next season. If he works on his ball handling the sky could be the limit for this kid, especially as a small ball four. Think his lack of strength, and rebounding will be solved if he moves to a three in the NBA and possibly move Kawhi to a big two if they ever move him to the starting lineup.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2016 DraftExpress NBA Mock Draft
    Team needs have NOT been taken into account.
    Updated on Sun Feb 7th at 11:50:40 AM

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Jesus christ please don't pick this piece of . He looked like garbage at the Nike Hoops summit, NBA athletes are going to take a giant on him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jonathan Simmons + 2 solid prospects likely making the jump from Europe this summer sounds like another draft and stash with the 29th.

Would be awesome if they tried to move up to get a good pg prospect attaching one of the aforementioned assets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imo this is how I see the roster breaking down in the off-season

Tony
    Danny
    Kawhi
    LMA
    Veteran Deal with Cap if we waive diaw or exception if we keep diaw

Patty
    Simmons
    Anderson

McCallum resigned
    Diaw could be traded at draft time depending on postseason performance
    Manu retires
    Duncan retires
    West walks if we don't win it all or retires
    Boban walks best contract
    Bonner retires if not waived this season

Ray

We will need a sg, a sf, a stretch four, a four, two centers

Bertans for the stretch four
    Livio Jean Charles the four

Two veterans for the sg and sf
    Butler one more year?

As for the centers, we'll already have two rookies in this scenario. So maybe we can find a bargain big man like Hibbert or mozgov and we can resign boban for about 4-5 million per. He'll probably get an insane contract from someone looking at his advanced stats. And then Ndoye or draft a big.

And that's why I'm looking for bigs in this draft. But a defensive minded guard also makes since.

Top picks

1.isaia cordinier draft and stash pick solid all around talent
    2. Aj hammons best rim protector in college. Senior, ready to play now. Solid third big prospect
    3. Gary Payton
    4. Grayson Allen

I've soured a bit on ibeh. At this point, not worth the risk for a first round pick. Maybe if we can acquire a second round pick for him, maybe in a diaw trade. I like hammons more now. Better all around player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Valentine could be that big PG of the future,

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish we could get him. All around player that can play.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I wish we could get him. All around player that can play.
    With the small-ball phenomena & teams looking for the next Draymond Green, he's going to be picked in the lottery.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does Marjanovic and/or Anderson and 29th get us in Valentine range 15-20 ? I believe that Marjanovic is gone already and Anderson will be replaced by Bertrans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does Marjanovic and/or Anderson and 29th get us in Valentine range 15-20 ? I believe that Marjanovic is gone already and Anderson will be replaced by Bertrans.
    Can't trade a pending free agent, and Anderson is better than Bertans and Valentine.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't trade a pending free agent, and Anderson is better than Bertans and Valentine.
    Anderson is our only asset that can be traded. Bertrans will be a backup to Kawhi. And we need to find new Manu. Valentine is NBA ready prospect, who is PG in SG body.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anderson is our only asset that can be traded. Bertrans will be a backup to Kawhi. And we need to find new Manu. Valentine is NBA ready prospect, who is PG in SG body.
    Can totally trade Bertans, LJC or any of the other stashed guys. And the Spurs don't need to find a new Manu. They need to come up with a new idea for their bench. Trading Patty and getting a real PG for the second unit is an idea.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can totally trade Bertans, LJC or any of the other stashed guys. And the Spurs don't need to find a new Manu. They need to come up with a new idea for their bench. Trading Patty and getting a real PG for the second unit is an idea.
    LJC and Bertans have little close to non-value. Cant gain 10 sports in draft by trading them. Bigger PG could be Valentine. For couple seasons bench is all about moving the ball between all-around guys. Valentine is one. I am really hyped about this guy, but Spurs can get him, when he breaks his leg or something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs can get him, when he breaks his leg or something.
    Then you know what to do.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There looks to be a lot of late first round talent. Grayson Allen has really excelled this season, has a great motor to go along with his long distance shooting and ability to attack the rim. With Manu close to retirement he's a viable option for the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the SG position I like Patrick McCaw.

Light body, long, great size for a SG (6'7). Good shooter, good ball-handling skills and can create for him and for others.

I don't know if he is going to declare for this draft and I've seen him in some mocks as a mid 2nd rounder, but I think he will rise. He would flourish in Pop's system considering that he is a SG that can create for others "a la Manu".

Thread Information