Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There looks to be a lot of late first round talent.
    This is really the biggest thing. The Spurs better not stash their pick again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LeVert anyone? Dude is a 6-7 PG who has good fundamentals and skill. Would be nice to slot him next to Anderson and Mills, or even at SF with Kyle at PF. Dude is ranked so low because he has some injury concerns and is too skinny right now. But that seems like a great pick for store in Austin for two years. He's only 20.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's crazy how Skal Labissiere was a lock as a top 3 pick a year ago and now several mocks have him a mid 1st round pick, some even out of the lottery. (like DX in 19th).

I don't think he will fall that much at all and people still remember how Andre Drummond fell in the 2012 draft and the Pistons ended up with a massive steal taking him @ 9th.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watch quite a bit of Maryland ball my neck of the woods. If Melo Trimble drops, I like him as the pg prospect.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone else get the feeling this is the type of draft (weak, etc) that the Spurs front office will be opportunitic in?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure where this goes, sorry.

Found the recent Zach Lowe article interesting in that Minni was close to dealing Rubio at the deadline. If that offer if there at next year's deadline/2017 summer Id be making calls offering picks, etc. I get the shooting limitations but he is a stud everywhere else, including defense.

I like what Detroit did this deadline, in effectively using their capspace early by trading for decent contracts.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LeVert anyone? Dude is a 6-7 PG who has good fundamentals and skill. Would be nice to slot him next to Anderson and Mills, or even at SF with Kyle at PF. Dude is ranked so low because he has some injury concerns and is too skinny right now. But that seems like a great pick for store in Austin for two years. He's only 20.
    I like Levert. He's been on my list for a while, as I like being able to run offence through multiple positions (Pretty central to the Spurs). Fact he can do that, has size for SG, and can shoot means he ticks the main boxes. Grayson Allen is the other guy in range, I think Levert is better (though he's a year older - he's 22 in August, Allen will be 21)

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Not sure where this goes, sorry.

Found the recent Zach Lowe article interesting in that Minni was close to dealing Rubio at the deadline. If that offer if there at next year's deadline/2017 summer Id be making calls offering picks, etc. I get the shooting limitations but he is a stud everywhere else, including defense.

I like what Detroit did this deadline, in effectively using their capspace early by trading for decent contracts.
    Rubio isn't a "stud" defensively although he gets a lot of steals by jumping in the passing lanes & he sucks at finishing at the rim on top of his shooting. He doesn't fit the Spurs system b/c the offense is either going to run through Kawhi/LMA w/ the starters or motion offense w/ the bench, his inability to shoot would make him a bad fit for either one ala De Colo.

In any case, there won't be any starting PG tier acquisition until 2018 unless Tony raptures his achillies. Until then the only I can see happening is bringing back George Hill to play backup in 2017 since Patty will be a free agent then maybe go after Chris Paul in 2018 (he'll be ring chasing like Kidd) when Tony will hopefully retire (but unlikely since he want to play 20 season).

I'm hoping they draft Gary Payton II to play the CoJo role b/c I don't see PATFO splurging on a PG this upcoming summer but rather replacements for Tim/Manu.

Ideally, Tony accepts a backup role in 2017 (Patty will be a free agent) & they sign Jrue Holiday (he's the same age as Kawhi). Jrue is a big point guard & can actually play alongside Tony without it be an issue on defense. If Tim/Manu retire this summer then they are going to have to sign salvage players like Noah/Mayo to a 1 year contract then dump Diaw's partially guaranteed contract to maintain a cap space for a Jrue tier player 2017. Most likely that won't happen b/c players with market value won't sign a 1 yr contract without an option which will cause uncertainties thus the most likely course is going after George Hill in 2017 to replace Patty then Chris Paul in 2018 to replace Tony.
    Last edited by Kawhitstorm; 03-05-2016 at 03:47 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rubio isn't a "stud" defensively although he gets a lot of steals by jumping in the passing lanes & he sucks at finishing at the rim on top of his shooting. He doesn't fit the Spurs system b/c the offense is either going to run through Kawhi/LMA w/ the starters or motion offense w/ the bench, his inability to shoot would make him a bad fit for either one ala De Colo.

In any case, there won't be any starting PG tier acquisition until 2018 unless Tony raptures his achillies. Until then the only I can see happening is bringing back George Hill to play backup in 2017 since Patty will be a free agent then maybe go after Chris Paul in 2018 (he'll be ring chasing like Kidd) when Tony will hopefully retire (but unlikely since he want to play 20 season).

I'm hoping they draft Gary Payton II to play the CoJo role b/c I don't see PATFO splurging on a PG this upcoming summer but rather replacements for Tim/Manu.

Ideally, Tony accepts a backup role in 2017 (Patty will be a free agent) & they sign Jrue Holiday (he's the same age as Kawhi). Jrue is a big point guard & can actually play alongside Tony without it be an issue on defense. If Tim/Manu retire this summer then they are going to have to sign salvage players like Noah/Mayo to a 1 year contract then dump Diaw's partially guaranteed contract to maintain a cap space for a Jrue tier player 2017. Most likely that won't happen b/c players with market value won't sign a 1 yr contract without an option which will cause uncertainties thus the most likely course is going after George Hill in 2017 to replace Patty then Chris Paul in 2018 to replace Tony.
    This discussion is interesting, but I do hope they sign a PG prospect bc A.Miller is a stopgap for this season and they will need someone younger next season and it probably won't be a dleague salvage bc for the past couple seasons the best dleague point guards have been tiny men by nba standards and we have too much of that

I am also unsure and doubtful that they let Patty go. He's a big part of the bench and I have seen Pop grooming him for a 6th man role in Manu's absence. He has improved all aspects of his playmaking game, although he's such a good shooter and scorer off the ball that we prefer to see him off the ball. He's also so tiny that making passes is difficult for him and they get deflected a lot, but he's improved.

More than anything I'd look fir a younger prospect with size so he can fit in with Mills/Anderson and play as a SG some minutes.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade Leonard and Aldridge for second rounders, time to rebuild!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade Leonard and Aldridge for second rounders, time to rebuild!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's crazy how Skal Labissiere was a lock as a top 3 pick a year ago and now several mocks have him a mid 1st round pick, some even out of the lottery. (like DX in 19th).

I don't think he will fall that much at all and people still remember how Andre Drummond fell in the 2012 draft and the Pistons ended up with a massive steal taking him @ 9th.
    Really hopeful he keeps dropping. If he can drop to somewhere outside the lottery and the Spurs could trade up for him that would be amazing.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    More than anything I'd look fir a younger prospect with size so he can fit in with Mills/Anderson and play as a SG some minutes.
    That could basically be George Hill if he doesn't mind coming off the bench. Until Tony's contract expires, all they could really sign is proven backup combo guards. If they draft Gary Payton II & he turns into a rotation player then he can play w/ Patty since he's basically the same size as George Hill but Kyle would have to improve his outside shooting since GP II is CoJo status.

Jrue Holiday is a long shot since the Pelicans probably want to re-sign him but he would be the perfect fit to play along side either Porker or Patty. Maybe Tony completely breakdown next season following a long summer (Olympics) & PATFO decided to go hard looking for a starting PG in 2017. (If not Jrue then Teague who has played for Bud)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really hopeful he keeps dropping. If he can drop to somewhere outside the lottery and the Spurs could trade up for him that would be amazing.
    Me too man. I think SA would develop him into a stud.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wade Baldwin, PG,

Or

Malcolm Brogdon, Combo Guard.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Sean ****** sent on scouting duty assignment by CIA Pop:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Jonathan Simmons worth a mid 2nd rounder? Dont follow the draft much. If simmons is worth a 2nd rounder, just draft levert and Payton and figure out who is a better fit in the summer league.

I'm positive next year is another win now mode.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Jonathan Simmons worth a mid 2nd rounder? Dont follow the draft much. If simmons is worth a 2nd rounder, just draft levert and Payton and figure out who is a better fit in the summer league.

I don't know but I doubt it. He will be 27 yrs old next season and he's had some nice stats but he's been in and out of the rotation and his credibility as a shooter can be questioned since he's been such a reluctant shooter to begin with. I suppose it's possible for a very low draft pick but it might not even be worth it in that case if the pick is too low, like the one we gave up for Ray Mac (top 55 protected that we'll give up bc we are bound to pick 59-60 in the 2nd round anyways.)

I still maintain that he's a nice partner for Anderson, who needs a more athletic wing to be the recipient for all the opportunities he can create or will eventually be able to create for him, but for Simmons to be viable he needs to play off others, so in a way he is probably very vested and dependent on Anderson's development in the Spurs taking off next season if Manu retires bc they complement each other's games very well.

I actually think that is a big reason why Simmons wasn't cut even when he hasn't been playing too well. On the one hand, even if he has a limited ceiling as an energy guy if he cleans up his mistakes and his role is limited he can be a rotation player taking advantages of opportunities created by others. As a second factor, if you believe in Kyle Anderson's development you can project that the two guys can play well together.

If Anderson cannot be that guy though, or needs more time, then all of a sudden you need a better prospect, which is why I think we should get a second prospect in the draft to compete with him anyways and push him. It's worked out in the past for the Spurs to have several guard prospects from which one or two rotation players may emerge.

Maybe Chinook or someone else can add considering the possibility of giving up Simmons+ a foreign prospect for a higher level drat pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sean ****** sent on scouting duty assignment by CIA Pop:

You might be into something. Sean loooooves Anderson and saw him play in the Ncaa several times.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

If next year is a "win now" mode then might as well keep Simmons b/c he more NBA ready.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If next year is a "win now" mode then might as well keep Simmons b/c he more NBA ready.
    Yeah but he wont be playing.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Yeah but he wont be playing.
    The 2nd rd pick won't be playing either so might as well keep the proven commodity who's good enough to be a 3rd string wing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the small-ball phenomena & teams looking for the next Draymond Green, he's going to be picked in the lottery.
    Weaknesses: LeVert does have some glaring weaknesses and the one that sticks out immediately is lack of strength ... He needs to put on weight so he can’t be bullied by bigger opponents and to improve his finishing at the rim ... Because of this he tends to settle for midrange jumpers where he struggles mightily, shooting under 30% between the paint and 3 pt line last season ... While he appears to show some playmaking ability he struggles in the half court to set up his teammates consistently ... Despite his athletic tools he’s an inconsistent defender due to technique, a tendency to jump passing lanes and his aforementioned lack of strength …draft net.

But his strength and his age might make us take him a high reward or risk type of player but won't be ready until maybe third year?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anybody watch Hammons game last night. He and Ibeh are my top two, by far. Unlike ibeh, hammons has a post game and can shoot up to 18 footers and not a liability at the line. And he's a big body. 7 footer about 280. Defensively, he's a rim protector. He uses solid positional skills to block shots at the rim and alter many more. He has a presence about him. Purdue gets him plenty of touches on the post, and he does a good job finding the open man when doubled.

Also like Caleb Swanigan on Purdue for the future.

I think you are right about Hammons but I think he is going to move up in the boards and be out of our reach..

Another guy that I'd like to see the spurs send a summer league invite to is Connor Lammert. Stretch 4 that's a solid defender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hammons would be an ideal Spur.

Swanigan has a tendency to shoot bad selfish shots unexpectedly in delicate situations.

BTW I live 23 miles east of Purdue Campus...

Thread Information