Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Malachi Richardson

Sources with knowledge of Richardson's schedule said that the Syracuse guard had interviewed with the San Antonio Spurs, the Golden State Warriors, the Memphis Grizzlies, the Denver Nuggets, the New York Knicks, the Brooklyn Nets, the Philadelphia 76ers, the New Orleans Pelicans, the Minnesota Timberwolves, the Portland Trailblazers, the Utah Jazz, the Detroit Pistons and the Boston Celtics.
    http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasket...the_combi.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would love if Spurs can trade down with the Celtics and get the 31st and 35th picks or Bucks and get the 36th and 38th picks.

This draft class has a lot of nice prospects in the 30-40 range.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't remember what I put in the Brice Johnson thread [in the approval queue], but Johnson has been listed in mock drafts with the Spurs recently.

Yahoo: Version II: The Vertical's 2016 NBA mock draft, by Jonathon Givony, 11 May 2016

29. San Antonio
    Brice Johnson | PF | North Carolina
    Senior | 21 | 6-9, 230
    Insider info: With a decent chunk of their frontcourt rotation either entering free agency or on the back end of its career, the Spurs could look to address power forward. Players at this draft slot come with tiny guarantees relative to the exploding salary cap and little risk, so taking a flyer on an ultra-productive college player like Brice Johnson could make a lot of sense. If he pans out, he’ll be producing for four years on a very valuable contract.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bleacher Report: NBA Mock Draft 2016: 1st-Round Projections for Top Prospects' Landing Spots
    By Alec Nathan , Featured Columnist May 15, 2016

29 San Antonio Spurs Brice Johnson

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA Draft: Why teams shouldn't be afraid of Jaylen Brown's intellect

As always, teams will fall in love with certain players and the draft talent will take on added luster as we get closer to June 23rd. One of those players may be Jaylen Brown, a one-and-done prospect from Cal by way of Georgia who brings a pro body and an advanced mind. A highly-touted recruit, Brown's interests at Berkeley included playing chess and taking graduate-level courses. As someone who worked with him said, "He's a guy that's going to use basketball to do great things in life."
    Brown having academic interests isn't a bad thing. Consider that the Spurs have an environment built on multiculturalism and a diversity of interests. Popovich talks to his players about world affairs and takes them to various restaurants to expand their horizons. The NBA isn't like college where there's a need to develop players as people, but it also means there's certainly a place for people with diverse interests. Shane Battier's an incredibly smart guy who had a long career in the NBA. There have been intelligent, well-rounded players with perspective who never made it in the league.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nb...wns-intellect/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder how hard SA will look at Tyler Ulis. Seems to have all the intangibles SA looks for and might be within striking distance of their draft spot.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BballCrazy® ‏@BballCrazy 2h2 hours ago Chicago, IL Jakob Poeltl said during the combine that he has met with the Bucks, Magic, Hawks, and Spurs,

BballCrazy® ‏@BballCrazy 2h2 hours ago Chicago, IL Oklahoma guard Isaiah Cousins has his first workout tomorrow with Indiana,Nuggets, Spurs, Rockets, and Suns

Jessica Camerato Verified account ‏@JCameratoCSN 7h7 hours ago Villanova G Josh Hart has worked out with Clippers, Sixers. Will work out for Celtics, Spurs, Hawks. To make decision May 25, still 50-50.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojVerticalNBA 9h9 hours ago Manhattan, NY Draft Combine Fallout: Murkiness of 1st-round, lies + mistrust between teams, agents. @DraftExpress on @TheVertical.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-le...155949876.html
    Last edited by ace3g; 05-16-2016 at 08:51 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Darnay Tripp ‏@DarnayTripp 7m7 minutes ago Spoke to @kwiltj: Has 10 workouts lined up including Nets, Bos, 76es, Mavs, Hou, Spurs, and Lakers. Hear from him on @krem2 at 10/11.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder how hard SA will look at Tyler Ulis. Seems to have all the intangibles SA looks for and might be within striking distance of their draft spot.
    Why do you want us to go for a SG that makes Mills look big?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't call Ulis a shooting-guard. The dude averaged 7 assists a game.

Transition 3 Willbreaker Captivus's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2016 NBA Draft Combine: Athleticism Test Analysis

By Aran_Smith
    Sun, 05/15/2016 - 1:29am
    Last year Pat Connaughton recorded a 44 inch vertical at the combine which drew headlines and likely helped him get drafted (41st overall). The only problem was that his vertical was enhanced by four inches as his standing reach (8' 0) was recorded incorrectly, four inches below what it had been recorded at the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament.

This year there apparently were a bunch of Pat Connaughtons.

2016 NBA Draft Combine: Athleticism Test Results

Each year at the Draft Combine, the NBA records player's heights with and without shoes, their wingspan and their standing reach, among other measurements. They then take the BAM testing results of the player's one step and max jumps on the Vertec machine. The Vertec results (for one step and max verticals) are then subtracted by the standing reach to give a player's actual vertical numbers.

This year it appears that a number of player's standing reaches were logged incorrectly. Our Michael Visenberg noted that the standing reaches of a number of players do not match those of previous events. For instance, Stephen Zimmermanmeasured 9' 0.5" at the USA minicamp (8' 8.5 at the combine). Demetrius Jackson measured an 8' foot standing reach at the Hoop Summit (7' 9 at the combine), Thon Maker meaured a 9' 3.5 standing reach at the Hoop Summit (9' 2.5 at the combine).
    Both Kahlil Felder and Tyler Ulis had impossibly low standing reaches at 7' 4.5 and then ridiculous 44 inch and 38 inch verticals. Ulis is a solid athlete but he doesn't jump out of the gym. His 38 inch vertical is obviously boosted. And as great an athlete as Felder is, 44" inches is Ronnie Fields' territory.

Melo Trimble's 35.5 inch vertical is also highly questionable.

Dorian Finney Smith's 8' 3.5" standing reach doesn't compute for a player with a 6' 7.75" height and 6' 11.75" wingspan. His standing reach is likely 4 or so inches short. And his vertical numbers appear to bear that out with a near record 38.5 one step vert and a 40.5 in max vert.

Jake Layman measured 8' 9" standing reach in the summer and 8' 6" at the combine. He had a 37 inch vert in the summer and a 39.5 inch vert at the combine.

Kyle Wiltjer recording a 35.5 inch vertical had to set off just a few alarms that something was amiss. His 7' 0.25" wingspan on a 6' 8.75" frame does not equate to a 8' 6.5" standing reach.

Therefore it is tough to take much of the vertical testing numbers as concrete this year. Teams may want to ask BAM for the numbers that players hit on the Vertec machine and then measure standing reaches in individual workouts on guys that they're interested in and do the math themselves to get a more precise vertical. Or do the entire testing process themselves.

Players such as Buddy Hield, Kris Dunn, and Jaylen Brown missed out on all the fun. Didn't their agents know that this year's athleticism testing was rigged?

No one is perfect, but it appears this year the combine athleticism testing numbers (vertical numbers specifically) were affected by some sort of clerical errors in the logging of standing reaches. Regardless, here's a breakdown of who helped and hurt themselves from the information put out.

Winners
    Joel Bolomboy Weber State

Bolomboy wins the award for most athletic player after the combine testing. Bolomboy's lane agility time was the fastest of any player in this year's combine at 10.26. Read that again! Incredible that his time was better than all of the guards that participated. His shuttle and 3/4 sprint were also on par with the guards. His explosiveness is also very impressive. Regardless if you take a few inches off his 40.5 vertical, that is extremely explosive for a bigman. Bolomboy had numerous jaw dropping highlights this year, and his athleticism testing re-enforced that he is an elite level athlete.

Thon Maker, Australia

Thon MakerWhile Maker may not actually be the combine's "most athletic" above 6'11 player of all time, as his numbers likely were enhanced. He definitely had very impressive speed and athleticism results. Scouts would love to have seen him participate in the combine games the wayCheick Diallo did. Thon obviously runs fast and jumps high, but he has a very difficult time exploding with contact. He has added some solid upper body strength over the past two years and it shows in his arms and shoulders, but his legs have not shown much improvement and may never be able to carry additional weight.

Cheick Diallo Kansas

Diallo was one of the big winners of the combine, quite possibly the biggest. First he measured with the 2nd best overall wingspan at 7' 4". And also had very strong standing reach and weight numbers. And then he proved that he was one of the best athletes in the games, running the court very well and making plays on both ends of the floor. His athleticism test numbers also checked out well as his 11.24 lane agility number was solid, as was his 31 inch (one step) and 35 inch (max) vertical results.

Demetrius Jackson Notre Dame

Regardless of whether you like Jackson's playmaking ability or leadership, there's no denying one thing and that is that Jackson is an elite level leaper. While it's more difficult for small point guards to utilize this attribute, his ability to get off the floor and make plays above the rim in not in question. His 43.5 inch vert was probably enhanced by 3 inches as mentioned before, but regardless, a 40+ inch vertical is among rare company. His speed and agility numbers also were among the top handful of players.

Jaron Blossomgame Clemson

His 41 inch max vert was one of the real standout numbers. Even subtracting 3-4 inches he's still in good territory. His speed numbers weren't quite as strong but nonetheless he separated himself as one of the top non-guard athletes.

Dorian Finney Smith Florida

Regardless of the fact that his 38.5 and 41.5 verticals are likely enhanced. His overall leaping ability is obviously very strong. Combine that with a 6'11.5 wingspan and an improved shooting ability and you have a potential sleeper in the 2nd round.

Wade Baldwin Vanderbilt

After being a winner in the measurements, Baldwin also scored well in the athleticism testing. His lane drill score of 10.45 stood out and was the fastest of anyone not named Joel Bolomboy. He also posted a very solid 38 inch vert. This after posting 2-guard length. Baldwin certainly has the physical characteristic boxes checked.

Losers
    Dedric Lawson Memphis

Lawson scored extremely low in the agility and speed testing. His 12.48 lane agility was among the worst recorded. His three quarter court sprint and shuttle run were also among the absolute slowest of the combine. Let's hope his vertical numbers of 22.5 (one step) and 28.0 (max) were not enhanced. It's safe to say Lawson did not have a good showing in the athleticism testing and would have been best advised to skip it.

Robert Carter Maryland

Carter's 24.5 (one step) and 30.5 (max) verts are among the lowest of the combine. His 3.65 was also the absolute slowest of everyone in the three quarter court sprint. Luckily for Carter he performed well in front of scouts during the first day game.

Diamond Stone Maryland

Credit Stone for at least participating as his ATH numbers were likely better than fellow freshman standout and similarly sized big Henry Ellenson would have been. Stone did not crack 30 inches in the max vert going for 27 (one step) and 29.5 (max). His lane agility wasn't too bad at 12.02, but his 3/4 court sprint was among the bottom five or so players at 3.50.

Caleb Swanigan Purdue

Swanigan is clearly a below the rim athlete and his numbers bore that out with a 27.0 (one step) and 29.0 (max) vertical result. He may even been given some help on those (as his 7'3 wingspan might have produced a higher than 8' 11" standing reach). He had a 12.90 in the lane agility which was better than expected and not surprisingly elected to not participate in the sprint and shuttle run.

Notes

Just like last year, a number of the lottery hopefuls did not participate in the athleticism testing. Among the currently projected lottery guys, only Marquese Chriss participated in the athleticism testing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't want SA to go after him. I wondered out loud due to need, draft spot & things I've read if SA will give him serious consideration.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We already have a small backcourt. Why add an even smaller guy at either guard position?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't want SA to go after him. I wondered out loud due to need, draft spot & things I've read if SA will give him serious consideration.
    I hope not. Seems to me one guy who helped himself a lot at the combine was my guy Malcolm Brogdon- great length and a leader for the future. I hope the Spurs go for him. We would still need a real PG, although I see Brogdon as kind of a combo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We already have a small backcourt. Why add an even smaller guy at either guard position?
    Because he's BPA and a good defender. He's not too small to guard Curry or Lillard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because he's BPA and a good defender. He's not too small to guard Curry or Lillard.
    5'10" in SHOES! 6'2" wingspan. I think Curry and Lillard (and others) would eat him alive.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Umm we have to get through OK first....... Westbrook would eat him up and chew him up and spit him out in smaller pieces.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Alex Kennedy
    AlexKennedyNBA
    In other words, call Danny Ainge if you're an executive who wants to acquire a pick in this draft! twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA…

Alex Kennedy
    AlexKennedyNBA
    The Boston Celtics have eight picks - #3, #16, #23 #31, #35, #45, #51 and #58 - in the 2016 NBA Draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Alex Kennedy
    AlexKennedyNBA
    In other words, call Danny Ainge if you're an executive who wants to acquire a pick in this draft! twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA…

Alex Kennedy
    AlexKennedyNBA
    The Boston Celtics have eight picks - #3, #16, #23 #31, #35, #45, #51 and #58 - in the 2016 NBA Draft.

Too many. They don't even have roster spots for all those guys although all second rounders could be stashed. Still they wouldn't get value for the picks if stashed.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Ulis is TJ Ford 2.0

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ulis is TJ Ford 2.0
    Nothing wrong with that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too many. They don't even have roster spots for all those guys although all second rounders could be stashed. Still they wouldn't get value for the picks if stashed.
    I have been curious about Boston's strategy for the last year. The only way the Celts can get value for all of those picks is to bundle them either with or without current players and make a couple of monster trades.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How a top prospect is bucking the system

California freshman Jaylen Brown – No. 4 in The Vertical’s 2016 NBA mock draft – will pass on hiring an agent and consult with the National Basketball Players Association on his rookie contract, league sources told The Vertical.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-a-t...181542611.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have been curious about Boston's strategy for the last year. The only way the Celts can get value for all of those picks is to bundle them either with or without current players and make a couple of monster trades.
    If only we had assets to trade... we don't have anyone we could spare. Our best guys we want to keep, Danny and Patty are on very good contracts and they give good production f I r their contracts + they are not stars Boston would be after. Diaw is a guy who only a team that wants cap will want to trade for and Tony, /sigh I know where you stand on him. It's possible Boston will have to practically give some picks away if they don't land a big fish. It's likely they land someone though is my guess. Still yep, they are interesting to speculate about.

Thread Information