Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, Gamers Nexus ting all over VR after trying both the Rift and the Vive at CES

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It really is. There's almost no doubt, everyone who has tried an Oculus or a Vive has come away with their mind blown.

I'm going to set aside about $1k for a PC this year, probably around black friday, and buy a Vive/Rift sometime in the Summer/Fall. Maybe their prices will drop a bit.
    $1000 isn't going to be enough to run this well. For 90 fps you're going to want a $400 unlocked i7 and a GPU much better than a an X. I'm guessing the Polaris or Pascal GPU in that class will be around $700, maybe $600 at best. Then $120 or so minimum for the Z series board. $80 for 16GB of DDR4. $70 for a decent power supply. $0 for KM o Windows 10.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    $1000 isn't going to be enough to run this well. For 90 fps you're going to want a $400 unlocked i7 and a GPU much better than a an X. I'm guessing the Polaris or Pascal GPU in that class will be around $700, maybe $600 at best. Then $120 or so minimum for the Z series board. $80 for 16GB of DDR4. $70 for a decent power supply. $0 for KM o Windows 10.
    Eh, depends. If you need to build a system now, probably. I plan to wait until the next line of GPU architecture, which should be much more powerful with all-new architecture.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, depends. If you need to build a system now, probably. I plan to wait until the next line of GPU architecture, which should be much more powerful with all-new architecture.
    I mean with the next line. The an X alone isn't going to be enough for Star Citizen at 25% higher than 1080p and a completely locked 90 fps. I think we might end up getting near an X level performance for $300-$400 out of this next generation thanks to the die shrink, and I think we'll get something that crushes the an X out of it too. But it'll still probably have to be a big die chip, a an/Fury level equivalent. Nvidia will probably charge $1000 for it and call it their new an, as I doubt they release another 80Ti for a few months until their big die yields start becoming good enough. So it's really going to be about how much of a discount AMD is going to be willing to give on their big die chip to undercut the next an.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean with the next line. The an X alone isn't going to be enough for Star Citizen at 25% higher than 1080p and a completely locked 90 fps. I think we might end up getting near an X level performance for $300-$400 out of this next generation thanks to the die shrink, and I think we'll get something that crushes the an X out of it too. But it'll still probably have to be a big die chip, a an/Fury level equivalent. Nvidia will probably charge $1000 for it and call it their new an, as I doubt they release another 80Ti for a few months until their big die yields start becoming good enough. So it's really going to be about how much of a discount AMD is going to be willing to give on their big die chip to undercut the next an.
    I guess we'll see. You can definitely buy a $1k system with a $400 gpu though. So there's that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess we'll see. You can definitely buy a $1k system with a $400 gpu though. So there's that.
    But that $400 GPU isn't going to be enough, as the an X already isn't enough for Star Citizen at 1080p to get a locked 90 fps, much less that same framerate locked at a 25% higher resolution. And I'd be floored to see a $400 gpu that's say a 10% increase over a an X. I'm expecting this next generation to have a $300-$450 card that's maybe 90-95% of a an X given the response the GTX 970 caused in 2014 by being about 90-95% of a GTX 780 Ti.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol HTC, $800 for Vive?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol HTC, $800 for Vive?
    It comes with the controllers, and support for a room so you can walk around in VR instead of having to stay in the reach of your computer. Pretty impressive, actually.

I'll probably pick up a Vive down the road, unless Oculus wins the software battle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It comes with the controllers, and support for a room so you can walk around in VR instead of having to stay in the reach of your computer. Pretty impressive, actually.

I'll probably pick up a Vive down the road, unless Oculus wins the software battle.
    HTC better hope they win, if they want to stick around much longer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tried the cheaper model out over the weekend and it was amazing!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't think the Vive has any shot whatsoever of surviving. You either need someone to feed the cable for you the entire time so you don't trip on it or you need a $3000+ plus laptop strapped to your back. And you need an almost completely empty room. This is the niche product of niche products. Occulus has a much better chance of success.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think the Vive has any shot whatsoever of surviving. You either need someone to feed the cable for you the entire time so you don't trip on it or you need a $3000+ plus laptop strapped to your back. And you need an almost completely empty room. This is the niche product of niche products. Occulus has a much better chance of success.
    You don't HAVE to play with it like that, though. You can use it just like an Oculus. Both products are already niche. They're for very hardcore techies and gamers. The overlap is likely very large between the two. No one who isn't steeped in the field is considering buying.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't HAVE to play with it like that, though. You can use it just like an Oculus. Both products are already niche. They're for very hardcore techies and gamers. The overlap is likely very large between the two. No one who isn't steeped in the field is considering buying.
    Why wouldn't people just buy the cheaper Rift then? The Vive is certainly the more interesting of the two, but I don't see it really taking off until you have the power of a GTX 980 in a phone so that it's not so awkward to use. If VR remains a niche product both of these die I think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy , Ark Survival Evolved is going to be on Playstation VR? How the is that going to work? You can't pull 60 fps at 1080p, much less 90 fps, with a ing $650 GTX 980 Ti. The game that's pulling 9-15 fps lots of the time on XBox One?

They can't lower resolution, it's already below 720p.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why wouldn't people just buy the cheaper Rift then? The Vive is certainly the more interesting of the two, but I don't see it really taking off until you have the power of a GTX 980 in a phone so that it's not so awkward to use. If VR remains a niche product both of these die I think.
    Well, as it stands the Vive is the more complete experience, since you get room detection AND controllers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PoorStation VR will be $399, comes out in October. Maybe you'll be able to play Minecraft at 90 fps on that ty hardware.

https://consumerist.com/2016/03/15/p...le-in-october/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PoorStation VR will be $399, comes out in October. Maybe you'll be able to play Minecraft at 90 fps on that ty hardware.

https://consumerist.com/2016/03/15/p...le-in-october/
    Fail.

Costs as much as the console itself? VR can go itself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll be picking up a Vive this summer. We'll see how my current rig handles it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fail.

Costs as much as the console itself? VR can go itself.
    You realize that this is basically two fully 3D, high refresh, motion tracking, high resolution monitors you're paying for, right? This isn't some minor peripheral. It blows my mind that people think this is going to be cheap technology, when you're combining so many other features. People spend upwards of $800 to $1500 for high end *single* computer monitors.
    Last edited by Cry Havoc; 03-17-2016 at 02:17 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You realize that this is basically two fully 3D, high refresh, motion tracking, high resolution monitors you're paying for, right? This isn't some minor peripheral. It blows my mind that people think this is going to be cheap technology, when you're combining so many other features. People spend upwards of $800 to $1500 for high end *single* computer monitors.
    Not discounting that.

I just think this can go either way right now for taking that kind of risk money wise.

This can be a novelty that will past in 1, 2 years. Who knows if it will stick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not discounting that.

I just think this can go either way right now for taking that kind of risk money wise.

This can be a novelty that will past in 1, 2 years. Who knows if it will stick.
    DVD players were $2,000 when they first came out. Didn't stop the adoption from happening when they became more affordable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Frankly, the screens are not that costly. We're talking a bit high end cell-phone style 1080p screens. A good LG screen on an Apple/Samsung cost them about $40 a pop including the touchscreen and gorilla glass... what gets costly is the tracking electronics, and there's obviously the novelty factor and patent minefield I'm sure they all have to go through.

This is also a tech I'm not sure you want to be an early adopter of, either, other than the wow factor. If it does take off, I'm sure you'll see those prices drop to near or less than $200 in relatively short time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Frankly, the screens are not that costly. We're talking a bit high end cell-phone style 1080p screens. A good LG screen on an Apple/Samsung cost them about $40 a pop including the touchscreen and gorilla glass... what gets costly is the tracking electronics, and there's obviously the novelty factor and patent minefield I'm sure they all have to go through.

This is also a tech I'm not sure you want to be an early adopter of, either, other than the wow factor. If it does take off, I'm sure you'll see those prices drop to near or less than $200 in relatively short time.
    The R&D tech behind the displays have been one of the most difficult things for oculus to deal with. Their 1st dev kit had terrible screens on it that caused sickness, and even the DK2 didn't have great displays. It's been a grind for them to get decent screens to the CV1. I think you're underselling how difficult it is to integrate high quality high refresh 3D screens onto a system like this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll be picking up a Vive this summer. We'll see how my current rig handles it.
    Why? So you can play Job Simulator? At least wait until there are good games before buying something.

Thread Information