Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Starbucks anyone?

people love being Gold Card members. I see grandmas with their phones ready to pay with their apps when i go in to get a coffee.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/21/up...=top-news&_r=0

Read.

And knee jerk in the wrong direction.
    Anyone who thinks they know what is going on will be taught a lesson most likely. Again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Starbucks anyone?

people love being Gold Card members. I see grandmas with their phones ready to pay with their apps when i go in to get a coffee.

I used to have Starbucks stock, and it did well, but I sold it off last year. My advice is to NOT take advice from anyone here. Talk to a pro.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I used to have Starbucks stock, and it did well, but I sold it off last year. My advice is to NOT take advice from anyone here. Talk to a pro.
    Is there even such thing? And if there is how much % do they get?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Usually, you can open a brokerage account with your bank and they probably have financial advisers. That's what I did. But, ultimately, I decided to put my money into something with lower return, but more security.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get a fee-based (not % or commission) FUDICIARY (they put your interest first) investment planner. I also listen to Rick Edelman on the radio - very knowledgeable although he does push his firm (of course).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would like to have some ideas, thoughts, and information for this year with investing. I am sort of new but I am learning more and more as I go.

anyway..... Energy ETF's seem like a good buy if you are able to wait for the long term.

I follow Kevin Oleary thinking with only investing in stocks with a dividend. So far its been working out.. time is really on your side.
    I have a chunk of "long term" money I've been sitting on since early 2015 (thought things were going to get ugly 6 months ago). I'll put it on an energy fund (probably XLE) when I think we've bottomed. XLE is at $53 and bottomed around $42 in '09. I don't know if it will get that low but that gives a reference for a bottom. Yield is almost 4%.

Believe.
    My Team
    Washington Wizards
    Post Count
    I have ~750k, or had, in the market. End of 2015 I was down 41k. I got out 80% of all of my equities and hold only bonds, mostly intermediate, but some long term, in funds, as well as preferred bank stocks which are, bonds.

My suggestion is, tread lightly. This market has turned into one big commodities trade based on the price of oil. Stand off, ease into it, start following a few stocks. The only stocks I hold right now are telecom and utility stocks.

Be careful. It's harsh out there. Buy the Traders Almanac for a quick tutorial.

Rememeber, the price you buy a stock is everything. No stock is worth a flip if you buy it at the wrong price. No matter the yield. Which reminds me, don't chase yield.

I would go into a long term bond fund. I have one with Invesco ticker VKI, a 6.5 yeilder, and an intermediate itm, non taxable, pays monthly. Municipal bonds. Preferred's pay well but, I don't want to go into the ins and outs of that on a Web Forum.
    Last edited by ErnestLynch; 01-21-2016 at 08:32 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    Washington Wizards
    Post Count
    Going into Jan 2015 I had 2000 shares of xle and 8000 of AMLP. ( As well as 5000 shares of Kinder Morgan ). Amazingly, trading on the way down I didn't get hurt bad and actually had capital gains on kinder morgan. yep. it was a lot of work and harrowing but that and ...Chesapeake Energy I had capital gains on. How bizarre is THAT ? Not too happy with my Chenier (LNG) trades but, we live on...I have oil royalty to keep me warm and toasty...or, some anyway....those checks are getting kinda thin but still getting drilling agreements in the mail to sign, all in the Permian.

Believe.
    My Team
    Washington Wizards
    Post Count
    I used to have Starbucks stock, and it did well, but I sold it off last year.
    Wise choice. Starbucks got slammed on their earnings today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I own AMLP, although not nearly as much as you. I am keeping mine for now. Yeah the price has plummeted, but it seems it is shouldn't really matter what the price of gas & oil is doing. The pipeline companies get paid for moving it along, with long-term contracts from what I understand. I may start taking the divs in cash, instead of reinvesting... sometime this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Buying a good amount of starbucks today. Great entry point tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has anyone tried a robo-advisor? I have a couple hundred bucks in Acorns, and I'm not sure what to expect. Anyone have any opinions, good or bad?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am really thinking about going super frugal for like 3 years and investing most of what i earn. I have been reading, listening to podcasts on invest now party with your hard working savings later.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. If you have a 401k at work, invest to get your company's maximum match - it's FREE money - this you should do EVERY year.
    2. Then, if you have a high deductible insurance plan, max out your HSA ($3350).
    3. Then, if you're in a low tax bracket, max out ($5500) in a ROTH IRA else max out traditional IRA.
    4. Lastly, fund the rest of your 401k up to the max.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. If you have a 401k at work, invest to get your company's maximum match - it's FREE money - this you should do EVERY year.
    2. Then, if you have a high deductible insurance plan, max out your HSA ($3350).
    3. Then, if you're in a low tax bracket, max out ($5500) in a ROTH IRA else max out traditional IRA.
    #1 is common sense, but I disagree with #4. If you're young, I would invest and save up for a down payment on a home instead. This is just generally speaking of course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you have any credit card debt you are carrying... that should be #1. You will not have any other investment that will earn 20%+ guaranteed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He did say he wants to invest (no mention of cc debt). I don't see a home as an investment.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I lived in a high COL area (and was single), I wouldn't buy a home. I'd either rent a room in someone's house or get as many room mates together and rent an apartment. If in a low COL area, then sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you have any credit card debt you are carrying... that should be #1. You will not have any other investment that will earn 20%+ guaranteed.
    or play the balance transfer 0% apr game ... just don't miss a payment lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He did say he wants to invest (no mention of cc debt). I don't see a home as an investment.
    Interestingly enough, nice homes in North Central San Antonio have allegedly been appreciating at 5%+.

Also, you can't overlook the income tax deduction of owning...The payment on the house I bought for my daughter three years ago is a little under $1200 a month with taxes and insurance and it would rent for more than that. I wrote off right at $6000 on my income tax on it for 2015 which saved me about $2400.00. Meanwhile, it has appreciated about $20,000.
    Last edited by CosmicCowboy; 03-29-2016 at 02:32 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texan homes seem reasonable in price, but those property taxes - 10% increase allowed on assessed value - ouch!

Thread Information