Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, I don't think it's as much of an issue, this season..they have 3 high-volume, efficient 3-point shooters, which is good enough IMO..it would be nice if they get another hot shooter in the playoffs(Manu or Simmons), but I don't think it's going to make or break the season..

The only difference I'd like to see is getting Green more set plays for 3 like they used to in the pre-Aldridge days, tbh..he's shooting 43% from 3 on 4 3pa/game, I'd like to see it get to 5, as unlikely as that is(with all the mouths to feed on this team)..
    Three isn't enough. They need a big and fourth wing that combine high-volume and efficiency.

It won't make or break the season because the lack of a play maker for a team with championship aspirations will, but it will further hamper them.

I'd like to see more sets for a Green 3 too. They also need to immediately remove Simmons when he passes up an open 3. But those are incremental changes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It will be an issue vs. a team just as good ( Rockets) or a team that is better ( Warriors/Cavs). The team that can shoot 25-30 threes a night at a 37-40% + clip has a huge edge in a series from a PPP perspective.
    I agree, but I was speaking more in regards to how the team is currently built(frontcourt heavy)..I don't think they can realistically do better than what they have done from the 3-point line, so far..how would they generate more 3-point shooting volume with the current usage leaders on the team?

Naturally, the Warriors and Cavs are going to have the advantage with the math(3>2) + talent..

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree, but I was speaking more in regards to how the team is currently built(frontcourt heavy)..I don't think they can realistically do better than what they have done from the 3-point line, so far..how would they generate more 3-point shooting volume with the current usage leaders on the team?

Naturally, the Warriors and Cavs are going to have the advantage with the math(3>2) + talent..
    Agreed, the Spurs don't have the personnel (i.e. no Kevin Love, Draymond Green, Ryan Anderson type) to have four dangerous 3-point threats on the floor at one time.

Still, 3 dangerous 3-point shooters out of the 8-man playoff rotation (sorry Simmons) and 4 moderate threats (Parker, Ginobili, Aldridge, Gasol) is nothing to sneeze at.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Parker and Green need to let it fly more. If Parker isn't in his corner, he's constantly turning down the open 3 by spotting up for a long 2 or if he's spotted up at the 3, then he takes a dribble inside the 3 point line for a long two. Green has also been more hesitant than usual -- often it seems like he's just assuming the close out is coming strong, so he hesitates instead of just raising up and firing.

What also hurts is how the 2nd unit is constructed. I don't believe that they have to have a stretch the floor PF, but they do need both wings around the ball handler to be threats from three. Right now, when Manu or Patty are in PnR, only one side of the floor is a threat from 3 because of Simmons/Kyle. That is making it somewhat easy for the team defense to kind of funnel the pass to Simmons or Andersons' side of the floor. That is why I've been an advocate for Bertans to play the SF ( he has the versatility to play the big wing spot -- he's not a Bonner).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If only this team has an Ish Smith-type of PG to break down defenses and open weakside 3s ...

Danny Green is shooting a career highs on 3PT (44%) on only 4.2 3pt FGA and second career best (46%) on overall disgusting FGA of 5.5 down from 7.1 (2016) and 9.1 (2015)..

That's how much held back this team is by their severe lack of legit big minutes playmakers..
    Last edited by spursistan; 12-21-2016 at 03:45 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green's leading the team in TS% and is ahead of only Kyle and Bryn in USG%. There's correlation on both sides for that. It simply isn't good enough for him to be shooting so little. I can understand not wanting to show your hand when it comes to set plays. But a) there's no telling whether the team will be able to execute (including Green hitting the shots) for plays they haven't gotten to practice in games and b) you don't have to get fancy to give him good looks.

If they just added more actions of their sets to give him open looks, it would help a ton. In the era before Kawhiso and LMA's offense, they'd have little screens from Splitter and Diaw that would just sort of happen while the main action was going on. Tiago or Boris would just notice that Danny's man wasn't looking and signal to him to make a cut. That can't happen when you don't know where everyone else is going to be.

Danny can do 80 percent of these things. It's crazy that Pop doesn't have at least five of these actions for him a game (in addition to the shots he gets off breakdowns and in transition).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The priority is Kawhobe and his play making development...
    Then Pau getting acclimated,
    then Lamarcus ISO, post up or rolls etc,
    then Tony ball handling and setting things up,
    last Danny.

The way they are going they were not going to get much from that spot. I pointed this out b4 but guys ignored it bc when I pointed it out the guy in the spot at the time was Anderson....

anyways, they could stand to get Danny involved more but Harlem's point is well taken concerning the mouths to feed.

I suspect come playoff time Danny could get more shots with the bench since I suspect unless Simmons has one of his good shot streaks his minutes can get shortened up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The way they are going they were not going to get much from that spot. I pointed this out b4 but guys ignored it bc when I pointed it out the guy in the spot at the time was Anderson....

We all knew Spurs weren't going to get that much production from the SG spot. But with Danny, the Spurs get a lot even if he doesn't have the ball because of the spacing he gives everyone else -- something Anderson doesn't do. And if Tony was as effective as he used to be in PnRs, there would be more good looks for Danny from three.

Anderson was starting and now he's not even in the rotation, unless Manu sits ( which he will the next two games).

You're acting like we all implied Danny would get 15 ppg from that spot

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Eh, I don't think it's as much of an issue, this season..they have 3 high-volume, efficient 3-point shooters, which is good enough IMO..it would be nice if they get another hot shooter in the playoffs(Manu or Simmons), but I don't think it's going to make or break the season..
    Expecting Simmons to be a dependable 3 point shooter in the postseason.

The only difference I'd like to see is getting Green more set plays for 3 like they used to in the pre-Aldridge days, tbh..he's shooting 43% from 3 on 4 3pa/game, I'd like to see it get to 5, as unlikely as that is(with all the mouths to feed on this team)..
    One thing he can still do within the current system is take more transition 3s just like Patty STILL does w/ the 2nd unit. When he's hot, Danny even makes transition 3s without even setting his feet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny.Green.Needs.More.Three.Points.Shot.Attempts. Period.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny.Green.Needs.More.Three.Points.Shot.Attempts. Period.
    Not going to happen that much with the current structure. He needs to play more minutes with Lee-Manu-Pattty

Only way he's going to up his three point attempts significantly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh article but there's some interesting facts. Too bad about the attempts though I guess.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...01-09-03-26-18

So imagine this irony: His Spurs, this season, are shooting the 3 as well as just about any team in league history.

Overlooked, perhaps, in their 30-7 start this season is this. The Spurs are connecting on 41.3 percent of their 3s - on pace to be the third-best success rate since the shot was added to the NBA game nearly four decades ago. Only the 1996-97 Charlotte Hornets (42.8 percent) and last season's Golden State Warriors (41.6) shot it better than San Antonio has to this point.

They're making 45 percent of their corner 3s, 40 percent of ones taken from above the break. And the Spurs are on pace to be the first team in NBA history to shoot better than .400 from 3-point range and .800 from the foul line.

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're in the bottom 2 now in 3 point attempts as well as points in the paint.

Trying to rely on beating teams from midrange come playoff time isn't going to work.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're in the bottom 2 now in 3 point attempts as well as points in the paint.

Trying to rely on beating teams from midrange come playoff time isn't going to work.
    It is what it is. Parkers not a 3pt shooter and both Pau and LA are shooting big men. I like the balance of what LA is doing right now. When hes open, shoot it, when he posts, back his man down. It used to be all shooting for him.

Also that stat could be pointing out how they dont force things but always find the easier shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons needs to stop being a pussy and stop passing open looks from 3, tbh. A missed 3 is better than a turnover son.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Cavs are a bigger obstacle for the Spurs than the Dubs. The Warriors took a step back with team chemistry and defense this year. They didn't need Durant and getting him will cost them an earlier out in the playoffs.

Thread Information