Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is their lowest ranking in 15 years and only the 3rd time in the bottom 5 during the Duncan era(along with 1999 and 2000)..

Do you expect to see more of the same going forward, and do you think they can win a le in today's league without utilising the outside shot?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    missing the neal/belinelli role tbh... plus bonner completely out of rotation

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TD21

Td21 have religiously called for another three pointer the last three months. Its really a combination of personel-style of play etc. I dont think you can compete against golden state in the next three years playing aldridge ball. Sure, they might win one series..maybe, but its unlikely.

The spurs in terms of personel have two natural three pointers who are both struggling. Our best 3 point shooter was once upon a time a 29% man..when one of mills or Green is struggling the three point is almost a non existant threat.

The main problem though is the lack of rollman. Without a rollman, the guys defending the players in the wing can stay at their man and thats usually green and kawhi. Parker is not going to take a three ball from top. TD rolls to the basket but he barely any touches nowadys.

The other issue is aldridge post ups. Essentially you lose the other corner with his post ups and no one double teams him so its hard to generate outside looks, in the few times a defender bites he wont pass the ball.

Bottom line the Corner three is non existant when the team is trying to get aldridge going.

Its by design, all of it. Sad..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, i don't think its even the lack of shooters. We have good shooters but our offensive style doesn't generate sufficient good looks for them. We do get a few every game, but not enough. Of course there are guys who would rather do something else than shoot a 3, and the 4th wing is part of it, but the 4th wing wasn't meant to play major minutes anyways.
    Kyle and Simmons need to shoot more 3s, but I have observed they pass up less 3s than they used to, and when they drive they are very efficient, and also they are among the few who in their drives generate a good quality 3 pt shot for someone. Danny needs to be fed a little bit more shots, Kawhi is really the only one taking a healthy dose of 3s and some of his are partially contested, not the best looks. Tony should be shooting more 3s, specially if he's spotted up. Last game against the cavs I saw him pass up at least 2 shots from the 3 pt range that were quality looks generated out of the post up. Maybe you can't have Tony out there if you are running a post centered offense TBH.

Patty is not getting many quality looks either, he's taking too many shots coming off screens and on the move, instead of spotted up. Part of it is Manu's decline, Patty is making more off the dribble plays IMO.

And no, I don't think we win without more 3 pt shooting bc we lack the explosive scoring that allows us to get back into games like CLE. WE lost it but were within 10 points in the 3rd. Heck even in the fourth with Anderson/Simmons/Green we got it close, but we didn't have enough 3 pt shooting (Danny missed 2 transition 3s in that stretch) to close that gap. Anderson and Simmons scored efficiently, but Danny and Patty going AWOL is a problem.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3G attempts have been replaced with back-downs by Kawhi and LMA. a LOT of backdowns.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TD21

Td21 have religiously called for another three pointer the last three months. Its really a combination of personel-style of play etc. I dont think you can compete against golden state in the next three years playing aldridge ball. Sure, they might win one series..maybe, but its unlikely.

The spurs in terms of personel have two natural three pointers who are both struggling. Our best 3 point shooter was once upon a time a 29% man..when one of mills or Green is struggling the three point is almost a non existant threat.

The main problem though is the lack of rollman. Without a rollman, the guys defending the players in the wing can stay at their man and thats usually green and kawhi. Parker is not going to take a three ball from top. TD rolls to the basket but he barely any touches nowadys.

The other issue is aldridge post ups. Essentially you lose the other corner with his post ups and no one double teams him so its hard to generate outside looks, in the few times a defender bites he wont pass the ball.

Bottom line the Corner three is non existant when the team is trying to get aldridge going.

Its by design, all of it. Sad..
    I agree, apparently it is by design and not necessity.

There's got to be some method to Pop's madness here.

Spurs have for the longest time competed offensively because of accurate 3 point shooting. To have an offense that primary pounds the ball in the paint is absolutely not going to cut it.

It's just not your observation, the pound the ball in the paint was observed by Van Gundy in the Cavs game.

The old school and slower pace game had an article about it earlier in the season.

Aldridge is not setting screens, there's no pick and roll, no roll man, nothing!

It is frustrating indeed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3PA are useless if you aren't hitting them at a decent rate. The Spurs should attempt more, since we are second in 3pt%. The scary thing is, GSW are 1st in attempts and %.

Wanted: Dead or Alive Cowboys_Wear_Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is their lowest ranking in 15 years and only the 3rd time in the bottom 5 during the Duncan era(along with 1999 and 2000)..

Do you expect to see more of the same going forward, and do you think they can win a le in today's league without utilising the outside shot?
    This is by design. The Spurs aren't running a lot of their pick n pop plays or off the ball screen plays this year. Quite honestly, I used to only watch about 30-40 games a year. But his year I have watched every game expect maybe 2 or 3. And yes, the Spurs aren't running their 3 point plays. IMO, that is what's hurting Patty and Green's performances this year.

I do believe Pop will start going back to these in a month or two. It seems like he wants Diaw, LMA, Kawhi, West to develop their post up and jumpshot game in the Spurs system, while he is having guys like Mills, KA, Simmons and Green Penetrate more. The problem is, Simmons Green and Mills are the 3 or the 4 best 3pt shooters on the Spurs. Them going to the hole as oppose to running off of screens to get open for 3 threes, is what is cutting down on their offensive production.

I think Pop demanding each to expand their roles outside of their comfort zone will pay dividends in the long run. But against teams like the Cavs and Warriors, it's hurting them b/c them not shooting those 3s is allowing those teams to clog the paint.

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are blowing most teams out of the gym. in facing contenders, I don't think more 3s are necessary to beat the Cavs, but Spurs either need to make more 3s or do a better job of defending the 3 ball against GS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In theory, post play should be able to generate some threes, in reality though, if your big post player never gets doubled, you wont get anything.

The spurs arent getting enough attention in the post to generate threes. Kawhi is the only player that gets doubled. Teams know its a win situation for them to make lamarcus get one on ones

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The spurs force teams to shoot more twos and have defended threes really well. Its when teams play at their three point pace..that when they get bukaked.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are Spurs generating less possessions this year leading to less threes? They've been moving the ball but using most of the shot clock to get the shot they want. If they have less possessions, they'll have less threes.

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still say Spurs need to sign another shooter or land one via trade. I know they're second in 3P % but in too many of the bigger games this season the Spurs are absolutely ice cold from outside.

Other teams will be happy to exchange their 3's for the Spurs long 2's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whats the number 3pa per game against the spurs and the number of 3pa per game against the top 4 teams?..and their percentage..

I'm having trouble finding these on NBA.com but it should give us an idea if the spurs plan is working.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    They can easily increase their 3PAs but that currently isn't on the agenda at the moment. Pop is still in his Mad Scientist mode & the fact that they are sitting in no mans land as the 2nd seed has given him leeway to throw at the wall & see if it's sticks but I don't blame him b/c that's what the regular season is for as long as the team is winning games they are supposed to win.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    The spurs force teams to shoot more twos and have defended threes really well. Its when teams play at their three point pace..that when they get bukaked.
    Spurs get killed in transition off bricks/turnovers & the team depending on 3 point shooting almost cost them the series against the Mavs (2014) along w/ actually losing against the Cripples (2015).

They aren't beating the Worriers shooting 3s so might as well work on their isolation sets. The Worries essentially play the same defensive schemes the 2014 Mavs used except they have much better personnel.

Besides, to beat the Worriers the Spurs have to punish them when they turn the ball over while taking care of the ball themselves along w/ LMA sticking to his patented right shoulder fadeaway or pounding the offensive glass (that's where he can take advantage of his height) rather than trying to go middle w/ three dribbles.
    Last edited by Kawhitstorm; 02-01-2016 at 11:26 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember years past where everyone here would "live by the three, die by the three"

like it was some kind of thing to avoid.

I am sick of seeing ghost picks from Aldridge. He is soft as baby when it comes to that.

Couple that with his weak fall away shot and if he pump fakes to try and foul the defender moves back for a bull shot.

I know Aldridge has nothing to do with the three point attempts.
    Oh, wait he does! The pick can generate enough space for a pull-up three perhaps??

smh

need Mills and Verde to pull their heads out of their asses, too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact that is "attempted" just points out to philosophy, IMO.

As I've been saying since the season started, adding more shooters won't make an iota of difference if the team philosophy is to overwhelm people inside (from penetration, P&R, P&P or post play, etc). We have shooters, I don't think I've seen them afraid to shoot the 3 ball either, we've just not made the 3 ball one of our priorities on offense. Whether it is because we're trying to acclimate two new guys that play inside a lot (LMA/West) or simply because Pop feels we have a sizeable advantage inside with Duncan/LMA, I don't know.

We have one of the best made % from 3 in the league, so that can't be a reason not to increase attempts.

It will be hard to win *if* our defense slips the way it has slipped without TD out there in the last week, although the argument can be made we won't win if TD is injured/hurt generally anyways.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember years past where everyone here would "live by the three, die by the three"

like it was some kind of thing to avoid.

I am sick of seeing ghost picks from Aldridge. He is soft as baby when it comes to that.

Couple that with his weak fall away shot and if he pump fakes to try and foul the defender moves back for a bull shot.

I know Aldridge has nothing to do with the three point attempts.
    Oh, wait he does! The pick can generate enough space for a pull-up three perhaps??

smh

need Mills and Verde to pull their heads out of their asses, too
    Exactly, not only are the 3 point shots not available, the lane isn't as open also.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3PA are useless if you aren't hitting them at a decent rate. The Spurs should attempt more, since we are second in 3pt%. The scary thing is, GSW are 1st in attempts and %.
    That is part of GSW boasting that they will win easy. The statement "it is all in the math."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are Spurs generating less possessions this year leading to less threes? They've been moving the ball but using most of the shot clock to get the shot they want. If they have less possessions, they'll have less threes.
    Well, most people here ask why the Spurs slow the pace, they need to switch to a faster style to match GSW...blah blah blah.

But it's almost suicide to try to match GSW at their own pace...so if they have less possessions/ threes sounds reasonable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can easily increase their 3PAs but that currently isn't on the agenda at the moment. Pop is still in his Mad Scientist mode & the fact that they are sitting in no mans land as the 2nd seed has given him leeway to throw at the wall & see if it's sticks but I don't blame him b/c that's what the regular season is for as long as the team is winning games they are supposed to win.
    Agree. Until after the rodeo trip we won't see the final form of Spurs game...Historically, they have been an entirely different team after those games on the road.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pace isn't really an excuse - Spurs are also 26th in 3-point attempt rate (3PA per FGA). They're just not shooting many 3's period.

Anyways, there was a topic on here a little while back about this and I agreed with the idea that our lack of 3-point shooting is a concern. Two of our best volume 3-point shooters have struggled this year (Green/Mills). Kawhi has shown a big improvement in this aspect, but I still don't feel too comfortable counting on him to shoot well over 40+% in the playoffs. Manu's deep shot seems to be really inconsistent and I'm not sure how much I trust him to have his legs under him all season + playoffs. Guys like Parker/Diaw/Simmons might be shooting well from outside, but they're shooting so few 3's that it's hard to really count them as threats from beyond the arch.

If Green/Mills can both shoot 40+%, that'd help a good amount. But I still agree with the notion that we could really use another high volume 3-point shooter off the bench. I was also hoping Aldridge would at least match his production from beyond the arch last year, but apparently the Spurs aren't interested in utilizing that for whatever reason so expecting that to change at this point is unrealistic.

I know people here love the idea of the Spurs bucking the trend and doing things their own way, but I'm not sure how comfortable I feel going up against GS in a series when they're outscoring us by double digits every game from the 3-point line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Well, the Spurs have their best record after 47 games, lead the league in point differential and crush just about everybody not from Cleveland or Oakland. That being said, I'm sure the Spurs would like for Danny and Patty to do their jobs and hit the open 3's. When they do, the Spurs are very hard to compete with, much less beat.

I see the Spurs needing to improve in games against quality opponents on the road and also getting more consistent play from Green and Mills. I don't think there is anything wrong with what the Spurs are trying to incorporate. They just aren't shooting well. There is lots of room for improvement. Lamarcus needs to play bigger in big games and the Spurs need to play better defense too. That means having a healthy TD in the middle.

Thread Information