Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didn't play great, but he wasn't awful. He should of never been on Randle to begin with. That is on pop. He should never be guarding very athletic 4's, they are going to eat him up because they can pull him out of the paint and once he is outside there they can destroy him.
    Well put! Putting Boban on stretch 4's is obviously not a great idea.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA rules changes has killed the center position.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Flexibility for what? Barring a significant injury, Duncan and Ginobili will probably return, in which case Marjanovic replacing West would likely be the extent of alterations to the rotation. Outside of that, the likely 29th pick probably takes the roster spot vacated by West, Bertans replaces Butler and Bonner is probably 50/50.

Though certain match-ups will be an issue, I do see Marjanovic as a rotation player next season and beyond, but as a 15-18 mpg backup. How long he can hold up and how many minutes he can absorb over the long haul, is irrelevant, as he'll probably sign a bridge deal of sorts, along the lines of 2/$10M.
    You're essentially suggesting a best-case scenario. I don't think it's incredibly likely that Tim or Manu return. It'll be completely dependent on how this season goes. The issue is that the Spurs' cap situation is pretty much identical whether they are in SA next season or not. So they'd have three holes in their rotation with only the MLE, LLE, picks and min contracts to fill them. You can strike the LLE from consideration, as that's going to be essentially the min as it is. They will likely bring over LJC (since he'll actually have unilateral authority over that decision this time) and they'll have their pick. And they're likely to bring in Bertans and/or Milutinov for bodies. But none of those guys will come in a bona fide rotation player.

So you'll have the MLE and min deals. If you ear-mark the MLE for Boban (or split in on Boban and Bertans, as your suggested contract would allow), then you're going to have to rely on a rookie or min guy (in a year where every team has money) to fill a rotation spot. And that's WITH assuming Boban is going to be able to do the part.

I don't even think Boban is a lock to be kept over West myself. If the Greybeards return, the team should jump at keeping West if he continues to play this well into the playoffs. If they don't, then having an experienced vet next to LMA seems like a no-brainer. He could definitely retire and take the choice out of PATFO's hands. But if he wants to come back, I'm inclined to prioritize that.

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Boban is that bad, I actually think he's quite good, but he's highly situational. Deep teams like the Spurs can afford to have him right now to exploit mismatches, but that won't necessarily work for other teams, or next year for the Spurs.

Boban won't really the Spurs this year. If he's not part of the Spurs long term plans, then I say showcase him and trade him while his value is high and that there's a novelty premium.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not going to happen, either Hibbert or Timmy.

Spurs need a Manu replacement, an energy guy off the bench. Simmons isn't going to be that guy, I don't think.

Spurs will fall down a few notches when Tim and Manu retire, because even the best on the team don't do what they do as well as they do it.
    In reverse order: I expect Tim and Manu are both playing their last season. Consequently I expect the Spurs to drop some next season, but still be a playoff team, obviously.

Unlike you, I do expect Simmons to occupy the Manu role next season, unless he joins the first unit, which might be a possibility. Fans who did not watch him in Summer League do not appreciate how fast he is developing.

But about Hibbert and Timmy, I am not sure I understand your point about "either Hibbert or Timmy." While I do not expect Tim back, it is well known that Timmy has worked with Hibbert in the summer. I expect that Roy will sign a veterans minimum contract next year. If that is so, and if we lose Boban, it seems possible to me that we could sign him. If anybody could get some good usage out of him, it would be Pop and Tim - even if he isn't on the active roster. I'm not advocating our signing Hibbert, just want to understand your point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. Cupcake question. Next question...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Boban, but he lacks 3 important skills, that I don't see him improving on significantly at 28 :

1.Can't shoot
    2.Can't defend the PnR a lick
    3.Isn't a rim protector

This makes him a situational big in the NBA imo and he wouldn't be worth anything near MLE type money. If the Spurs could re-sign him for cheap then I'd be happy with him as the 5th big again until they bring Milutinov in a couple of years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA rules changes has killed the center position.

Wanted: Dead or Alive Cowboys_Wear_Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Boban, but he lacks 3 important skills, that I don't see him improving on significantly at 28 :

1.Can't shoot

3.Isn't a rim protector

This makes him a situational big in the NBA imo and he wouldn't be worth anything near MLE type money. If the Spurs could re-sign him for cheap then I'd be happy with him as the 5th big again until they bring Milutinov in a couple of years.
    1. He can shoot, the Spurs don't run any plays for him that get him in space like LMA and West.

3. He can protect the rim. He is actually decent at that.

2. This is one I agree. He gets caught in no man land too much. He needs to use his size and length to hedge the PnR. He is big enough to, he just doesn't know how to at this point. Once he masters this, he will be a decent defender in this league.

Boban is still learning the Spurs system and the fact he couldn't play for like 2/3 months after signing with the Spurs due to a fractured ankle, put him back a little as well.

This was probably Boban's best defensive game. Washington was killing the Spurs on the PNR that game and Boban actually was the difference in that game. Gortat only had like 2 points after scoring 18 in like 2 1/2 quarters against West and Diaw. Boban was +17 (highest on team) that game and played most against the Wiz starters and 2nd string players. This is what Boban is capable of. He is just not consist at this point.

Last edited by Cowboys_Wear_Spurs; 02-08-2016 at 09:59 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1.Can't shoot
    3.Isn't a rim protector

Pop is asking him to guard 4's and switch like everyone else. This is what Pop used to ask Duncan to do before too because its the base of the Spurs defense. Remember Duncan switching onto Hill and getting roached over and again and us losing vs PHX in the first round? That was when they started using ICE, zoning underneath and going over the screen, and voila he could function again.

What strikes me is that Pop is giving him consistent minutes outside of crunchtime and is obviously putting effort into developing him.

1 and 3 are just ignorant. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume your not HH on a VPN. Anyone who watches Boban shoot FT can tell 1 is false. As for 3, his only problem is when he sipes he fouls. He made progress in the DAL game where Parsons and FElton who had been finishing on our other guys either over penetrated or dribbled it back out multipole times. I think Boban clogs the lane admirably.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're essentially suggesting a best-case scenario. I don't think it's incredibly likely that Tim or Manu return. It'll be completely dependent on how this season goes. The issue is that the Spurs' cap situation is pretty much identical whether they are in SA next season or not. So they'd have three holes in their rotation with only the MLE, LLE, picks and min contracts to fill them. You can strike the LLE from consideration, as that's going to be essentially the min as it is. They will likely bring over LJC (since he'll actually have unilateral authority over that decision this time) and they'll have their pick. And they're likely to bring in Bertans and/or Milutinov for bodies. But none of those guys will come in a bona fide rotation player.

So you'll have the MLE and min deals. If you ear-mark the MLE for Boban (or split in on Boban and Bertans, as your suggested contract would allow), then you're going to have to rely on a rookie or min guy (in a year where every team has money) to fill a rotation spot. And that's WITH assuming Boban is going to be able to do the part.

I don't even think Boban is a lock to be kept over West myself. If the Greybeards return, the team should jump at keeping West if he continues to play this well into the playoffs. If they don't, then having an experienced vet next to LMA seems like a no-brainer. He could definitely retire and take the choice out of PATFO's hands. But if he wants to come back, I'm inclined to prioritize that.
    Milutinov and LJC would get guaranteed rookie deals. Whether or not they are 'bona-fide' -whatever that means- or not is besides the point.

I know that you can go over the cap to sign your rookies so bringing up LJC and Milutinov is gratuitous. Instead of signing Bertans why not insert whoever you want?

All I see is you dreaming up scenarios to exclude Boban trollstyle and further assuming that Boban and the rest can't play. Still haven't seen you talk about basketball as its played on the court or the Spurs remarkable ability to develop players . If 'the greybeards return' then the need for West is less yet you present that as the Spurs should 'jump at (it).' Wishful thinking abounds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this seriously a concern? Who would you rather have? Dejuan Blair or Jeff Ayres? It could be a lot worse.... Boban is definitely a keeper.
    Last edited by G-Dawgg; 02-08-2016 at 01:37 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your prognostications and mine are 180 degrees apart. I think the "probability" of either Tim or Manu's returning is very low. If Tim does not return, West will become even more valuable for his play, his toughness and his leadership. Marjanovic cannot replace him in any of those respects. I enjoy watching Boban, but I do not see him as a viable replacement for either Tim or West, and I do not see the Spurs paying him $5MM/yr. The probability that Bertans, with his injury history, ever plays in the NBA is very low. Our best pipeline prospect is Cady LaLanne in Austin.
    I think the plan was to play the two years, barring a change, be it a significant injury, a precipitous decline, the team drastically under performing, them no longer enjoying it, etc.

Though he's played well, West was always an awkward fit in many ways and because of that, I think both sides came in with the understanding that it would be a one shot deal.

5M is nothing in a league where the average salary is on the verge of being $7M.

There's been constant rumors about Bertans coming over next season and despite the injuries, he's still a superior prospect to LaLanne.

Just like last off season, when all the supposed cap experts thought it was virtually impossible to swap Splitter for Aldridge and return the remainder of the top 8.

As I alluded to above, at this point I think it's mainly dependent on a significant injury. If they come out of this season relatively healthy, I think they'll be back.

I'd be shocked if they kept West at the expense of Marjanovic. Despite his strong play, he's still an awkward fit and obviously not a long term solution. Marjanovic could at least be part of it, at a position of need.

In either scenario, I'd expect Marjanovic to be kept. The Spurs have a pristine record of keeping players they want to keep, that want to stay. There's no reason to not believe that to be the case here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just like last off season, when all the supposed cap experts thought it was virtually impossible to swap Splitter for Aldridge and return the remainder of the top 8.
    It's actually a bit disingenuous of you to say this, as Splitter was included in the "top eight" in your scenario. I'm not going to post PMs, since the 'P' stands for private, but you should know what you had asked originally. Anyway, "cap experts" weren't wrong that the math didn't add up. The cap ended up being $3 Million higher than it was projected to be. And Duncan took a lot less than he was estimated to take in many other scenarios (some had him taking $8 Million, some higher). All of those things added about $14.5 Million to the team's cap space, which gave them room to get LMA, re-sign Tim and pick up McCallum and Boban.

As I alluded to above, at this point I think it's mainly dependent on a significant injury. If they come out of this season relatively healthy, I think they'll be back.
    I hope so, but this hasn't been a good year for them health-wise. I think if they win or get knocked out in the first again, they're done. If even Manu retires, the team is going to have much bigger issues than Boban is going to be able to handle.

I'd be shocked if they kept West at the expense of Marjanovic. Despite his strong play, he's still an awkward fit and obviously not a long term solution. Marjanovic could at least be part of it, at a position of need.
    West isn't all that awkward a fit going forward. For one, if Tim leaves, he's sliding into that starting spot like he has this year. Adding Boban or Diaw there instead means there's another post player, and both of them are worse defenders than West. If Tim stays, you still need a competent starter to play next to LMA, and while I think Anderson could be that guy, it's not clear that he'd be that next season, or even if he'd have to replace Manu even if he is good enough.

In either scenario, I'd expect Marjanovic to be kept. The Spurs have a pristine record of keeping players they want to keep, that want to stay. There's no reason to not believe that to be the case here.
    I think that's teleological. The Spurs keep who they keep and don't keep who they don't keep. That's all we know. We don't know that they didn't want to keep Splitter or that they didn't want to keep Joseph. Whether Boban is a Spur next year will depend on a lot of factors, the team liking him being only one of those. They'll keep him if they can do so while building the best roster they can next season. They won't if they can't. To me, it's pretty simple. The only questions come from discussing what will make up that roster, and how they can go about facilitating it this season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I honestly don't want to come across as too critical, the main reason I have been is really his contract situation and the kind of role he could potentially fulfill bc we need a defensive big. In real games he hasn't been as good defensively as I thought he could be. A lot of it is awareness.

Its possible we can't get anyone better regardless (defensively) over the summer and developing Boban is our best chance. Id rather have him than say an Ayers type guy-an athletic big with no skill whatsoever who is also undersized... so all things considered... all hail the Boban.
    Honestly, I don't have especially a lot of hope on Boban, I'm in a "wait and see" situation. Lots of pros and cons for now...

The thing that makes me pessimistic is that I don't think the Spurs coaches are the 1st to explain him/try to change his habits, it might just be too late or impossible at this stage for him. For instance, I still don't get why he keeps his hands so low when keeping them up wouldn't give a chance to his defender sometimes as well as giving an easier option for his teammates.
    I also think that he is lucky to play in a selfless system and with selfless players who might make him look better than he really is.

What makes me optimistic is his personality, work ethic, FTs, nice touch despite big hands, integration, Chip England & Chad Forcier and globally the fact that the Spurs have proved their ability to make anybody improve with time.

Then as you note, there might be a contract situation or retirements that lead the team/scouting in another direction, etc. Lots of factors.

Wait and see...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's actually a bit disingenuous of you to say this, as Splitter was included in the "top eight" in your scenario. I'm not going to post PMs, since the 'P' stands for private, but you should know what you had asked originally. Anyway, "cap experts" weren't wrong that the math didn't add up. The cap ended up being $3 Million higher than it was projected to be. And Duncan took a lot less than he was estimated to take in many other scenarios (some had him taking $8 Million, some higher). All of those things added about $14.5 Million to the team's cap space, which gave them room to get LMA, re-sign Tim and pick up McCallum and Boban.

I hope so, but this hasn't been a good year for them health-wise. I think if they win or get knocked out in the first again, they're done. If even Manu retires, the team is going to have much bigger issues than Boban is going to be able to handle.

West isn't all that awkward a fit going forward. For one, if Tim leaves, he's sliding into that starting spot like he has this year. Adding Boban or Diaw there instead means there's another post player, and both of them are worse defenders than West. If Tim stays, you still need a competent starter to play next to LMA, and while I think Anderson could be that guy, it's not clear that he'd be that next season, or even if he'd have to replace Manu even if he is good enough.

I think that's teleological. The Spurs keep who they keep and don't keep who they don't keep. That's all we know. We don't know that they didn't want to keep Splitter or that they didn't want to keep Joseph. Whether Boban is a Spur next year will depend on a lot of factors, the team liking him being only one of those. They'll keep him if they can do so while building the best roster they can next season. They won't if they can't. To me, it's pretty simple. The only questions come from discussing what will make up that roster, and how they can go about facilitating it this season.
    I wasn't taking a shot at you or this board; it was a general statement. So you're "not going to post PM's, because the 'P' stands for private", yet you have no problem providing details on it. Since there's not much difference in salary between Splitter and Diaw, I viewed them as interchangeable, in that respect. In the end, the "cap experts" were wrong, no matter the reasons.

Ginobili's injury definitely isn't significant, relatively speaking and we don't know enough about Duncan's to say. But yeah, I could see them retiring if they win it all, too.

West was always an awkward fit. He really only fits relatively well alongside Duncan. He's definitely not the answer as a full time starter at this point, particularly alongside a relatively similar player, in Aldridge. Neither can play center full time and Aldridge has made it clear that he doesn't want to. I've said ad nauseam that Splitter will be the eventual Duncan replacement, but if not, they'll find someone of his mold.

Aldridge was a unique case, where they had to sacrifice players they'd otherwise keep to obtain him. Marjanovic won't be a casualty of a significant addition. If they want him and he wants to stay (and there's no reason to think otherwise), they'll make it work.

People have panicked so many times over the years, from Splitter to Green to Diaw to Mills, etc., yet they always find a way to get it done and at a reasonable or better number, no less.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wasn't taking a shot at you or this board; it was a general statement. So you're "not going to post PM's, because the 'P' stands for private", yet you have no problem providing details on it. Since there's not much difference in salary between Splitter and Diaw, I viewed them as interchangeable, in that respect. In the end, the "cap experts" were wrong, no matter the reasons.
    Again, this is REALLY disingenuous. Splitter AND Diaw were part of the "top eight". You had asked if the Spurs could bring in LMA and add him to that group, not have him swap out and replace anyone. Then others proposed trading Splitter while paying Tim $8 Million. Both of those things would have been impossible. It was never 100 percent impossible to keep the top seven and get LMA, as Tim and Manu could have taken min deals (which would have allowed them to keep Cory, for example). The math ended up being different than the proposed scenarios. People don't have to defend 2+2=4 when it is actually 2+3.

West was always an awkward fit. He really only fits relatively well alongside Duncan. He's definitely not the answer as a full time starter at this point, particularly alongside a relatively similar player, in Aldridge. Neither can play center full time and Aldridge has made it clear that he doesn't want to. I've said ad nauseam that Splitter will be the eventual Duncan replacement, but if not, they'll find someone of his mold.
    I think LMA will be a center the same way Tim was for many years. But I also think that West will have his share of tough assignments. He plays well with the starters, and he seems like the perfect bridge player either while someone gets ready or until 2017 when they get a free agent. Right now, he adds more value to the team than Boban, whose upside is theoretical at this point. I don't see him as the starter over West unless he looks a lot better than he has this season.

Aldridge was a unique case, where they had to sacrifice players they'd otherwise keep to obtain him. Marjanovic won't be a casualty of a significant addition. If they want him and he wants to stay (and there's no reason to think otherwise), they'll make it work.

People have panicked so many times over the years, from Splitter to Green to Diaw to Mills, etc., yet they always find a way to get it done and at a reasonable or better number, no less.
    This was the first year the team was under the cap since 2003. So they never had to make financial decisions like this. They will be under the cap against soon, likely in 2017, but possibly this summer. They also haven't had a situation like they do with Boban now. They don't normally sign prospects to one-year deals, as they usually have the leverage to get at least a second year out of it. And they haven't been in a situation where they'll be trying to patch up a rotation in the wake of losing two future HoFers. So just like with LMA, sacrifices are going to have to be made.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    West and LMA is a ing defensive mess.

Sorry dude. Not gonna be realistic. LMA and a Center is realistic. West will always be a bench player. 100%

Im going to bump your ty take Chinook next season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree with that. I think Pop expects everyone to work on their games in garbage time, specially because in this crew there are talented rotational players being developed who would have really played more minutes if not for our deep bench. But I will concede that it is tough to get too much from the 4th Q alone.

I do hope Boban is a keeper. I have been in his camp, his church, temple and congregation. I just have started to temper my expectations bc he is out of position a lot. Frankly I would not have him way out in the perimeter guarding anyone, just let him give everyone space, and hang back. TD is the best for training Boban, bc he's not as mobile himself either, but TD is uncanny making super quick reads, and anticipating. You can't surprise TD, he has an awareness of those around him, and he's vocal. Obviously Boban is not on that level, so his lack of ability to recover into plays or help in a timely fashion is trouble.
    Honestly, in the last couple of games, he hasn't impressed as much. Not sure if its the better compe ion, better scouting by the opponent, lack of focus or lack of good entry passes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    West and LMA is a ing defensive mess.

Sorry dude. Not gonna be realistic. LMA and a Center is realistic. West will always be a bench player. 100%

Im going to bump your ty take Chinook next season.
    The LMA-West pairing is a part of the second most used 5-man units on the Spurs and has a very decent Def. Rating of 97.6, only a point and a half worse than the same line-up with Duncan instead of West, so it's not a defensive mess at all.

Also, Aldridge is basically a center, whether he realizes it or not, and will play as a center more as his career progresses. This season about half of his minutes ( 47% ) have been as a center. Once Duncan is done he'll be the fulltime center of the Spurs.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The LMA-West pairing is a part of the second most used 5-man units on the Spurs and has a very decent Def. Rating of 97.6, only a point and a half worse than the same line-up with Duncan instead of West, so it's not a defensive mess at all.

Also, Aldridge is basically a center, whether he realizes it or not, and will play as a center more as his career progresses. This season about half of his minutes ( 47% ) have been as a center. Once Duncan is done he'll be the fulltime center of the Spurs.
    Helps that we have Kawhi there to make that rating go down. I've already seen all the good teams take a dump on the LMA west pairing to say it's garbage. Watch the games buddy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Judging something based on its intent? If you are going to go pedant at least make sense. Teleological reasoning is not necessarily false particularly in human constructs. The Spurs program is a human construct. Pop was reared in the military where everything seems to have a place and purpose. Your epistemology is lacking.

It is particularly sound reasoning when discussing a team that routinely gets players to sign for less. In fact Boban already took less money to come here. What reason should there be that he wouldn't do it again?

Over the summer, his contract with Red Star expired, and he reportedly chose the Spurs over several more lucrative offers abroad.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/24/sp...rs-lineup.html

LMA wants to play next to a C. West is not a C. It will be awkward for that reason. You don't even consider that very important factor.

On a final note, it's not disingenuous. I personally argued with you whether or not it was possible. You kept saying it wasn't and were wrong. Thinking the cap would remain static was dumb. I remember making that comment when you demanded exact figures. It is what it is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cap should go up significantly this year as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boban is a known quality already. He is what he is. He's not a bad player, he's just not dominant relative to his size on the floor. He plays much smaller than he is, which almost every NBA uber-tall guy has done in the history of the league. The fact that guards score over him, around him, and offensively rebound the ball around him time and again should be alarming to Pop. Sure Boban gets rebounds that he happens to be in the right place to get, but often he's stepping on someone to get there. He's a bull in a China closet.
    If he plays smaller than he is then why is it that every big man comes at him like he's Shaq particularly guys from Europe and why do smalls obviously look intimidated on his rotations. The guys he plays against act like he's big and then there is your interpretation.

And he's already a known quan y 5 months in. You thinking you have it figured out is not the same thing. To me he looks like he needs more reps because he doesn't look polished on his technique. I can see him trying out new techniques like with rebounding where he is now trying to tip it out to himself as opposed to reaching in and going to get it. Rebounding rules are very different here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    boban's good for what he does, be a 3rd big man off the bench to play against scrubs. but we're ed if he's our starter

Thread Information