Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DISCUSSION
    After Texas abruptly excluded Planned Parenthood affiliates from its fee-for-service family-planning program, the number of claims for LARC methods declined, as did the number of claims for contraceptive injections. Among women using injectable contraceptives, fewer women who received an injection in the quarter preceding the exclusion continued to receive an injection through the program than did those in an earlier cohort. In addition, there was a disproportionate increase in the rate of childbirth covered by Medicaid. Although data are lacking on intendedness of pregnancy, it is likely that many of these pregnancies were unintended, since the rates of childbirth among these women increased in the counties that were affected by the exclusion and decreased in the rest of the state.
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056...icleBackground

So, the Republican controlled legislature cuts funding for one of the primary sources of birth-control for poor women. Let government spending right?

Wrong.

If you make birth control more expensive, it gets used less. Simple supply and demand.

Of course the obvious result of less birth control is: more births. The problem, and the policy failure is that these births are among women who generally will need government assistance, i.e. Medicaid, costing the Taxpayers far more in the long run.

Obvious, of course, unless you are a Republican lawmaker.

Kind of embarrassing for a party that thinks of itself as being fiscally responsible to pass laws that end up increasing government spending, because they are too dumb to realize what contraception is for, innit?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Kind of embarrassing for a party that thinks of itself as being fiscally responsible"

Repugs are beyond embarrassment, they have no shame.

Repugs being strong on low spending is of course total bull , as they cut funding for the needy, poor, disabled, education, health, while "tax spending" heavily for their campaign donors. If they ever balance a budget, it's on the backs of the poor to keep tax dollars flowing to 1%, BigCorp.

And yes, many predicted that cutting funding for, closing TX health clinics would increase unwanted pregnancies, undetected STDs, cancers, other diseases, abortions (80K to 100K/year), etc. So no surprise that it's all coming true, more or less. The Repugs' war on poor (black, brown) women is unrelenting, in the name of Jesus Christ Our Lord and Saviour.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Simple solution.

Someone needs government assistance to raise kids they couldn't afford to have when they coceived, make them get their tubes tied for the privilege of assistance That way, we don't have repeat offenders of this crime on society. Both the man and woman.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kind of embarrassing that San Fransisco, the Mecca of blue cities, has the the worst income inequality, especially for a party that gives so much lip service to that issue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bernie will fix it, tho.

Because he's an "outsider", even though he's been living off taxpayer since Reagan was elected.
    Last edited by DarrinS; 02-11-2016 at 01:08 PM.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Hyper-partisan post #23,982. Good job.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simple solution.

Someone needs government assistance to raise kids they couldn't afford to have when they coceived, make them get their tubes tied for the privilege of assistance That way, we don't have repeat offenders of this crime on society. Both the man and woman.
    crime

So WC's solution is eugenics. Anyone else?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    What does WC have against Eugene anyway?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It wouldn't be so bad if he wouldn't use economic status and phrenology as the basis for it.

Man In the High Castle explores the topic in episode 6.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simple solution.

2/3 of the people on public assistance are white. Do you racists "make them" get sterilized also?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simple solution.

That's cold you would sterilize your own mother.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    crime

So WC's solution is eugenics. Anyone else?
    Only a stupid like you can see that as eugenics.

Please, walk me through the rationale that makes it eugenic.

Full Definition of eugenics

: a science that deals with the improvement (as by control of human mating) of hereditary qualities of a race or breed
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/eugenics

Maybe you don't understand that hereditary when speaking of eugenics is dealing with genetics. The definition also specifies "race or breed."

I guess I should just pity you for your stupidity.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    That's cold you would sterilize your own mother.
    Do you always make stupid assumptions? My parents were ale to provide for me and my two sisters at all of our births. It wasn't till my youngest sister was six that they got divorced, and money was tighter. My mother was a stay at home mom, and only took food stamps for only a month or two until she found employment.

I pity you for being so ing stupid that you think using the safety net for it's intended purpose is wrong. Not any of your business, but when she started dating again, she paid to have her tubes tied.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Nothing.

Eugene is the home of the University of Oregon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Oregon

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only a stupid like you can see that as eugenics.

Please, walk me through the rationale that makes it eugenic.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/eugenics

Maybe you don't understand that hereditary when speaking of eugenics is dealing with genetics. The definition also specifies "race or breed."

I guess I should just pity you for your stupidity.
    That's one definition. Your dumbass doesn't get mutual exclusivity either. It's a good idiot test, honestly, as it distills how people reckon nuance and complexity.

Here's another:

Eugenics (/juːˈdʒɛnɪks/; from Greek εὐγενής eugenes "well-born" from εὖ eu, "good, well" and γένος genos, "race, stock, kin")[2][3] is a set of beliefs and practices that aims at improving the genetic quality of the human population.[4][5] It is a social philosophy advocating the improvement of human genetic traits through the promotion of higher rates of sexual reproduction for people with desired traits (positive eugenics), or reduced rates of sexual reproduction and sterilization of people with less-desired or undesired traits (negative eugenics), or both.[6]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics

Sterilizing the poor is what it is, dumbass. The notion predates modern genetics as well so insisting on it is entertaining but doesn't hold water. That is kinda the whole point, science disproving the traits that have been typically used in eugenics.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    2/3 of the people on public assistance are white. Do you racists "make them" get sterilized also?
    Do you really expect me to answer such a stupid question?

Absolutely.

I don't care what color someone is. I they are so irresponsible as to have children they can not provide for, society should have the right to make sure they are not a repeat offender.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you always make stupid assumptions? My parents were ale to provide for me and my two sisters at all of our births. It wasn't till my youngest sister was six that they got divorced, and money was tighter. My mother was a stay at home mom, and only took food stamps for only a month or two until she found employment.

I pity you for being so ing stupid that you think using the safety net for it's intended purpose is wrong. Not any of your business, but when she started dating again, she paid to have her tubes tied.
    lol welfare cobra

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

we paid to keep you alive.

show some respect, foodstamp.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    we paid to keep you alive.

show some respect, foodstamp.
    You two need to get a room.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that WC thinks means-testing parenthood and forced sterilization of the poor are reasonable extensions of the power of the administrative state, tells you pretty much all you need to know about his political orientation ...

...whatever it is is, it's authoritarian to the max.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that WC thinks means-testing parenthood and forced sterilization of the poor are reasonable extensions of the power of the administrative state, tells you pretty much all you need to know about his political orientation ...

I've noted that WC ALWAYS defends the ins ution, org, company, govt etc against the individual.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056...icleBackground

If you make birth control more expensive, it gets used less. Simple supply and demand...
    I don't disagree with you, and I feel Planned Parenthood provides a very useful service (one my wife, in fact, took advantage of many years ago while in college).

However, I didn't realize the laws of economics apply when dealing with the government.

I mean, if we make labor more expensive, won't it get used less, or not?

Or, if we make income more expensive, won't it get produced less?

Or, if we make healthcare or education free, won't they be used at inordinate rates?

Nevermind, I'm sure there are significant differences I don't understand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't disagree with you, and I feel Planned Parenthood provides a very useful service (one my wife, in fact, took advantage of many years ago while in college).

However, I didn't realize the laws of economics apply when dealing with the government.

I mean, if we make labor more expensive, won't it get used less, or not?

Or, if we make income more expensive, won't it get produced less?

Or, if we make healthcare or education free, won't they be used at inordinate rates?

Nevermind, I'm sure there are significant differences I don't understand.
    Not sure what you mean by "applies to government".

In this case the supply/demand is a good/service, i.e. birth control. The government is not doing the demanding, but is providing funds for the supply, in lieu of the personal funds of the women who are doing the demanding. It is a subsidy.

To the people doing the demanding, the good costs less, so they can afford to buy more of it, relative to their desire to consume the good/service.

supply and demand relative to labor is a LOT trickier, because labor is the primary good that is sold massively within an economy.

Short term, make labor more expensive, and a lot of small decisions on the part of individual businesses will be to use less of it (micro-economic level). Over time though, give people more money for the labor they provide, and they will spend it in the economy, increasing all sorts of demands for other goods/services. In the mid-long term it is a lot harder to quantify cause/effect.

Cities that have increased minimum wage have provided some good laboratories for this. The best data that I have seen is that raising the minimum wage really has no overall effect.

Many conservatives who don't really understand economics like to argue that there "will be fewer jobs", to which I reply so ing what?

To the people effected, who very often have more than one job, if one of them suddenly paid enough for them to quit working 80+ hours a week, they could easily afford to lose the 2nd job. There is then no real overall effect other than to squeeze out the kinds of marginal jobs no one wants/needs anyway. No big loss, IMO. If they then choose to go out and get another job, they will have a lot more extra money to save/invest/spend that will go back out washing around the economy, further increasing demand.

Hope that helps.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count

Why do you twist the meaning of what I say? Are you incapablbe of understanding my intent, or do yo think it's funny to do what adolescent children do?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I've noted that WC ALWAYS defends the ins ution, org, company, govt etc against the individual.
    No, I defend the truth against idiots like you.

Thread Information