Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Man, if they made Faraday's life into a movie everyone would think it was Hollywood bull . Unbelievable he became the greatest living physicist and chemist with no formal education and a weaker mathematics knowledge than most college freshmen.
    I read a book about Faraday and Maxwell that was very good. Faraday was a relentless experimental scientist. He also had some great models in his head that he wrote down and Maxwell some how was able to interpret them and put them into the language of math. I think these two together really helped solidify the ideas of fields and waves.

And here we are today still using these models fairly usefully.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    so knowing all this , what benefit is it for mankind?

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    This allows you to send information to let us know how little you think of all this .

Why do scientific findings have to immediately benefit mankind? You think when the behavior of electricity and magnetism were described it should immediately lead to computers and wifi?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    lol like you give a about mankind

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I've always thought that without at least a 4th dimension quantum entanglement doesn't makes sense. The ballistic nature of space-time only furthers that resolve.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Well wave theory in the form of laplace and fourier transforms is the basis of thermodynamics, modeling, signal processing and most of modern engineering. Probability matrices are used to make bombs and reactors. Quantum states are studied in superconducting applications. Quantum entanglement would allow instantaneous communication regardless of distance.

Then there is the existential question of why the universe is how it is and how we relate to it. You seem like the type that reads/has read comic books. Reed Richards, Beast and others are constantly speculating on it. It's led to sci-fi and fantasy story telling.

That is just off the top of my head. Really just use your imagination.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Man, if they made Faraday's life into a movie everyone would think it was Hollywood bull . Unbelievable he became the greatest living physicist and chemist with no formal education and a weaker mathematics knowledge than most college freshmen.
    Depends on how they put it. He understood cartesian coordinates, proportions, and orthogonality. He just didn't have mathematical rigor to write out their proofs the way they want. Quite frankly the old papist notions of irrationality, real versus 'extended real,' infinity and the like would have likely just slowed him down. He was clear enough that Maxwell formalized it and of course because they liked to circle jerk, he got most of the credit.

Math lost its way in the 18th century. I get how primes and the notion of a quantum minimum are in harmony but they way they approach it they don't seem to really give a what is actually real or not.

Thread Information