Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    For months, the science world has been buzzing about the rumor that gravitational waves, the ripples in spacetime that Einstein predicted a hundred years ago, have finally been detected. Today, at press conferences all over the world, researchers at the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO, a pair of observatories located in Washington and Louisiana) confirmed that the hype is true.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have detected gravitational waves," announced LIGO director David Reitze this morning. "We did it." On September 14 of last year, the LIGO location in Livingston, Louisiana picked up a gravitational-wave signal, and seven milliseconds later, its fellow observatory in Hanford, Washington detected an identical signal. This signal exactly matched the calculated behavior of gravitational waves produced when two black holes collide.
    http://www.popsci.com/its-official-l...src=SOC&dom=fb

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Army Black Knights
    He also believed in God , incest, and child molestation tbh

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    In a landmark discorvery, ripples in space and time first hypothesized by physicist Albert Einstein a century ago have been detected, with scientists suggesting that the observation of these gravitational waves could now open a new window for studying the cosmos.

The researchers said they detected gravitational waves coming from two black holes —extraordinarily dense objects whose existence also was foreseen by Einstein — that orbited one another, spiraled inward and smashed together. They said the waves were the product of a collision between two black holes 30 times as massive as the Sun, located 1.3 billion light years from Earth.

The scientific milestone was achieved using a pair of giant laser detectors in the United States, located in Louisiana and Washington state, capping a long quest to confirm the existence of these waves.

The announcement was made in Washington by scientists from the California Ins ute of Technology, the Massachusetts Ins ute of Technology and the LIGO Scientific Collaboration.

Gravity travels in waves, like light and other forms of radiation. But with gravitational waves it is space itself that is rippling.
    http://america.aljazeera.com/article...nal-waves.html

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    He also believed in God , incest, and child molestation tbh
    What does Avante have to do with this?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What I find interesting is that if space itself ripples like the 'particles' we observe, it lends credence to analysis in >3 dimensions and a better defined framework as our 'framework' is not static.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    , I didn't see this thread when I posted the news in another thread here. It blows me away they can detect something so small.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I can't believe how many of Einstein's predictions have come true: the photon, the speed of light being the same in any reference frame, the existence of black holes, gravitational redshift, Bose-Einstein condensates, the cosmological constant, and now gravitational waves. I'm starting to think the man was even greater than Newton. His views on quantum theory notwithstanding (but then again Newton was an alchemist).

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I can't believe how many of Einstein's predictions have come true: the photon, the speed of light being the same in any reference frame, the existence of black holes, gravitational redshift, Bose-Einstein condensates, the cosmological constant, and now gravitational waves. I'm starting to think the man was even greater than Newton. His views on quantum theory notwithstanding (but then again Newton was an alchemist).
    He just didn't like the lack of actual mechanics in QM. He was a type 5 and believed in a greater construct. He could clearly see something that most people struggle to even get a glimpse of.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Newton had the courage to think outside the box and the fortune to be born in England. The Prussian Euler was banished to Moscow. I think he is the equal of both.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    He just didn't like the lack of actual mechanics in QM. He was a type 5 and believed in a greater construct. He could clearly see something that most people struggle to even get a glimpse of.
    I really don't know what you mean here by lack of mechanics. Can you explain?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I can't complain too much about Einstein not being on board with QM though. The idea that the state of an object is a probabilistic wavefunction that collapses into an eigenfunction when any kind of measurement is done is pretty hard to swallow now, I can't imagine what it must have been like in the 1920s.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    And Einstein's discovery of special relativity seemed to be because of a faith he had that the laws of the universe were simple. E.g., that you couldn't have Galiean relativity hold for mechanical phenomena and then not have relativistic invariance for electromagnetic phenomena like the propagation of light too. I guess wavefunctions and randomized collapse didn't seem like a simple law of physics to him.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I really don't know what you mean here by lack of mechanics. Can you explain?
    well I can explain probability matrixes but I cannot explain spooky action at a distance or why electrons manifest in that manner. Compare that to Einstein or Newton who used geometric constructs and intuitive notions of proportion/time to come to their conclusions. You can follow Einstein's wave theory or Newton's projectile motion from start to finish. QM seems to backdoor into the answer.

It works absolutely no doubt but the why is the biggest issue. It's why the two realms have not been formulaically combined.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    And Einstein's discovery of special relativity seemed to be because of a faith he had that the laws of the universe were simple. E.g., that you couldn't have Galiean relativity hold for mechanical phenomena and then not have relativistic invariance for electromagnetic phenomena like the propagation of light too. I guess wavefunctions and randomized collapse didn't seem like a simple law of physics to him.
    I wouldn't say simple but instead that they followed an underlying construct. He was a classic type 5 personality.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    well I can explain probability matrixes but I cannot explain spooky action at a distance or why electrons manifest in that manner. Compare that to Einstein or Newton who used geometric constructs and intuitive notions of proportion/time to come to their conclusions. You can follow Einstein's wave theory or Newton's projectile motion from start to finish. QM seems to backdoor into the answer.

It works absolutely no doubt but the why is the biggest issue. It's why the two realms have not been formulaically combined.
    Spooky action is a bit more advanced than I have studied. I just did infinite well, harmonic oscillator, central potentials, hydrogen atom, etc. Is there a good reason for a why though? Something deeper than quantum mechanics? Is it like asking why there is inertia?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I can't complain too much about Einstein not being on board with QM though. The idea that the state of an object is a probabilistic wavefunction that collapses into an eigenfunction when any kind of measurement is done is pretty hard to swallow now, I can't imagine what it must have been like in the 1920s.
    Eigen Matrices and the entire notion of eigen solutions speaks to a symmetry and when you start looking at the poles and start analyzing them doing those extractions or whatever they're called I cannot help but think we are only scratching the surface. they've gone back to shapes just like Euler and all them to make it work. VSPR theory is another clue.

I have a good friend who is a grad student at Cambridge now and we talk about that constantly while we game.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Spooky action is a bit more advanced than I have studied. I just did infinite well, harmonic oscillator, central potentials, hydrogen atom, etc. Is there a good reason for a why though? Something deeper than quantum mechanics? Is it like asking why there is inertia?
    Higgs has an answer. His boson. The particle, or its potential, is the pinning that manifests inertial behavior. I can handle particle physics and wave/field theory. Quantum entanglement just blows my ing mind.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Personally I find the experiments designed to prove or disprove or say we just don't know as creative as the ideas themselves. Even though many experiments are terribly expensive and quite bulky. Some of the first ones were quite elegant though.

And Einstein did not predict all the consequences of his work, others have looked closer and have done the "this must mean" stuff... I think if he were alive he would be quite blown away by all of it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Higgs has an answer. His boson. The particle, or its potential, is the pinning that manifests inertial behavior. I can handle particle physics and wave/field theory. Quantum entanglement just blows my ing mind.
    this

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    , I didn't see this thread when I posted the news in another thread here. It blows me away they can detect something so small.
    Idk...Judy was able to get pregnant with Mason.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    My mind is blown when I don't know enough math to go with the idea.

I am not naturally a math guy, I just like it. The ideas in physics lead me to the math. I take a look at the math and see the utility in describing the idea and it is fulfilling. All the shows and books produced and considered popular where the math is glossed over is not pleasing at all . Hawking's popular books do not resonate with me.

Needless to say mechanics and classical physics are more pleasing for me personally. And special relativity. But QM is still baffling. The ideas are not that difficult even though very counter intuitive in many cases. But I can't revel in it because the math is beyond me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    My mind is blown when I don't know enough math to go with the idea.

I am not naturally a math guy, I just like it. The ideas in physics lead me to the math. I take a look at the math and see the utility in describing the idea and it is fulfilling. All the shows and books produced and considered popular where the math is glossed over is not pleasing at all . Hawking's popular books do not resonate with me.

Needless to say mechanics and classical physics are more pleasing for me personally. And special relativity. But QM is still baffling. The ideas are not that difficult even though very counter intuitive in many cases. But I can't revel in it because the math is beyond me.
    GR seems more difficult mathematically than intro QM by a mile, and E&M is no walk in the park.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    GR seems more difficult mathematically than intro QM by a mile, and E&M is no walk in the park.
    EM is weird but I have fiddled enough with some stuff I kinda got it.
    Maxwell is not given enough credit IMO, or Faraday. I took intro to QM in college and got by without really getting it. Thermo made sense.

I am a biochemistry guy, the physics part is sort of a hobby and I need some of it for my job. I only had to take 2 semesters of physical chemistry.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    EM is weird but I have fiddled enough with some stuff I kinda got it.
    Maxwell is not given enough credit IMO, or Faraday. I took intro to QM in college and got by without really getting it. Thermo made sense.

I am a biochemistry guy, the physics part is sort of a hobby and I need some of it for my job. I only had to take 2 semesters of physical chemistry.
    Man, if they made Faraday's life into a movie everyone would think it was Hollywood bull . Unbelievable he became the greatest living physicist and chemist with no formal education and a weaker mathematics knowledge than most college freshmen.

Thread Information