Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14...eaking-players

Nice article by Tom Haberstroh..interesting points and data..

Older fans are already responding with the predictable cries of millionaire athletes can't play 82 games of basketball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Indeed, the Spurs have been ahead of the curve on injury prevention and are leading the way on body monitoring and controlling minutes. Research by Jeff Stotts of Rotowire.com found the Spurs have lost 995 games due to injury since 2005-06, the lowest number in the NBA. And therein lies the NBA's great contradiction. The Spurs are boring, in part because they play below the rim but also because they manage the 82-game grind with strategic rest. What ruins the body is also what sells, but as Spurs forward Kawhi Leonard says, "We're not trying to put on a Globetrotter show."
    Best organization doing best organization thangs.

Gun for 75 wins, Wardell. By all means.

Lefty is gonna run with that 11% injury rate in the 80's compared to 20% today

But it's easy to see why players were able to remain healthier in the 80's, even though they played an uptempo style:

- Players were lighter and had bodies more resembling soccer players than the basketball players today who look more like NFL skill position players. More muscle equals more torque applied to your bones and ligaments.

- Less NBA franchises existing=deeper teams and less traveling.

The 90's only having a 13% injury rate is interesting. I think maybe the slower pace of that era contributed to less injuries.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Makes todays game even better. Lol 90s basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great read. Thanks for sharing.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

But it's easy to see why players were able to remain healthier in the 80's, even though they played an uptempo style:

- Players were lighter and had bodies more resembling soccer players than the basketball players today who look more like NFL skill position players. More muscle equals more torque applied to your bones and ligaments.

The 90's only having a 13% injury rate is interesting. I think maybe the slower pace of that era contributed to less injuries.
    But the injury rates are probably much closer. In the 80's they played through injuries more; and today, they make up injuries.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I assume there are more "fabricated" injuries today, too, or at least a more conservative approach, especially the past few years(teams reacting to injuries of Derrick Rose, etc)..

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a good article.

This might be a radical move, but how about changing the schedule to have both games that Team A plays in Team B's gym be on back-to-back nights? E.g. the Grizzlies play in San Antonio twice every season. Just put those games on back-to-back nights with two days of rest for the Grizzlies and one for the Spurs beforehand. You could put more back-to-backs in the schedule but drastically reduce travel.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a good article.

This might be a radical move, but how about changing the schedule to have both games that Team A plays in Team B's gym be on back-to-back nights? E.g. the Grizzlies play in San Antonio twice every season. Just put those games on back-to-back nights with two days of rest for the Grizzlies and one for the Spurs beforehand. You could put more back-to-backs in the schedule but drastically reduce travel.
    The writer of the article(Haberstroh) had the same idea when he was on ESPN radio the other day, tbh..wouldn't mind seeing it happen..

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    What ruins the body is also what sells, but as Spurs forward Kawhi Leonard says, "We're not trying to put on a Globetrotter show."
    Kawhi's quotes are ALWAYS on point.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

That's very feasible since they already do that in the playoffs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is bull .

These guys play, what? 4, maybe 5 games a week. They play, on the high end, 30 minutes a game? So, that's 2.5 hours of work a week...for the guys that are playing the most minutes. You work 2 1/2 hours a week, for an average salary of 5 million dollars. Are you kidding me? I would kill for a "exhausting" schedule like that...lol

Oh, it's the "travel" that's taking the toll on them? Y'know, the chartered flights with gourmet meals and 5 star hotels and restaurants. Yeah, grueling.

No, it's not the schedule that is taking a toll on these guys. You cut the schedule in half, you would still have a much higher "injuries per game" than that of 50 yrs ago. It's the jumping. Oscar Robinson was 6' 5" and never dunked in an NBA game...because he didn't try to jump over everyone just to get a dunk. Teams recruit guys that can jump outta the building now. Everyone wants to "be like Mike." Dunking is what highlight reels are made of.

So, if you really are concerned about injuries...you would make it illegal to jump over 6". Because that would dramatically cut down on injuries. But, that would be stupid, right? Yeah. Sorta like blaming the schedule...

Oh, yeah...it would also be MUCH more constructive, to actually PUNISH guys who throw elbows to the face and knees to the groin. ing PUNISH the team too, for hiring these goons in the first place. THAT would be much more constructive than making 'em work less than 2.5 hours a week. sigh...lol
    Last edited by SouthernFried; 02-14-2016 at 03:19 PM.

unity in diversity
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is bull .

These guys play, what? 4, maybe 5 games a week. They play, on the high end, 30 minutes a game? So, that's 2.5 hours of work a week...for the guys that are playing the most minutes. You work 2 1/2 hours a week, for an average salary of 5 million dollars. Are you kidding me? I would kill for a "exhausting" schedule like that...lol

Oh, it's the "travel" that's taking the toll on them? Y'know, the chartered flights with gourmet meals and 5 star hotels and restaurants. Yeah, grueling.

No, it's not the schedule that is taking a toll on these guys. You cut the schedule in half, you would still have a much higher "injuries per game" than that of 50 yrs ago. It's the jumping. Oscar Robinson was 6' 5" and never dunked in an NBA game...because he didn't try to jump over everyone just to get a dunk. Teams recruit guys that can jump outta the building now. Everyone wants to "be like Mike." Dunking is what highlight reels are made of.

So, if you really are concerned about injuries...you would make it illegal to jump over 6". Because that would dramatically cut down on injuries. But, that would be stupid, right? Yeah. Sorta like blaming the schedule...

Oh, yeah...it would also be MUCH more constructive, to actually PUNISH guys who throw elbows to the face and knees to the groin. ing PUNISH the team too, for hiring these goons in the first place. THAT would be much more constructive than making 'em work less than 2.5 hours a week. sigh...lol
    They work way more than that. They practice, study opponents, and travel. Travel for work is working. They go to community events and make appearances. That is work.

Not like I feel sorry for them, but keep in mind that it is not just jumping that demolishes their bodies, although the jumping I am sure does a lot of damage.

These guys are really tall and heavy with muscle, so even running on the hard wood surfaces for years is going to mess up your joints.

I went to the same gym as Chamberlain here is los angeles for a little while That guy had really messed up hips, all sticking out. His joints are totally ed. He played way before the high flying atheletes of the 90's, and he didn't need to jump as much because he was taller than most players.

My point is, many of these players have serious health problems after a 10 year career. If you asked me if I was willing to trade making a few million for being in a wheel chair, or even using a cane after age 40, I would say no thanks.

Putting so much strain on a huge body by playing pro sports, when these giants are already is going to have a tough time as they get older, evidently is leading to many retired NBA players to have a substantially shortened lifespan:

https://billypenn.com/2015/10/01/mos...dary-nba-bigs/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They work way more than that. They practice, study opponents, and travel. Travel for work is working. They go to community events and make appearances. That is work.

Not like I feel sorry for them, but keep in mind that it is not just jumping that demolishes their bodies, although the jumping I am sure does a lot of damage.

These guys are really tall and heavy with muscle, so even running on the hard wood surfaces for years is going to mess up your joints.

I went to the same gym as Chamberlain here is los angeles for a little while That guy had really messed up hips, all sticking out. His joints are totally ed. He played way before the high flying atheletes of the 90's, and he didn't need to jump as much because he was taller than most players.

My point is, many of these players have serious health problems after a 10 year career. If you asked me if I was willing to trade making a few million for being in a wheel chair, or even using a cane after age 40, I would say no thanks.

Putting so much strain on a huge body by playing pro sports, when these giants are already is going to have a tough time as they get older, evidently is leading to many retired NBA players to have a substantially shortened lifespan:

https://billypenn.com/2015/10/01/mos...dary-nba-bigs/
    We're talking about what causes these injuries. And it ain't because they are looking at game film or flying first class from game to game. It's the game.

The game has changed, NOT the schedule. The schedule hasn't changed in 50 years. Now their blaming that on the injuries? Bull .

, it's really not even that...it's the people who now play the game. The NBA recruits people who have massive athletic skills these days, like being able to jump over tall buildings. If you SERIOUSLY want to to decrease injuries, you'd have to change the game of basketball and the people who play it.

Basketball is tough on the body. I played for 25 years. I've had 2 knee surgeries, my rotator cuffs are shot, I've had pretty much every injury known to man. , I've broken almost every finger on my hands (can't even pick up change in a coin machine...lol,)...because that's basketball. And we all knew it going in. We'd even talk about what we were doing to our bodies, and how we were going to pay for it later. And we weren't even getting paid to do it! I wouldn't change a thing. I'd even play pickup ball with some Spurs players, who were still actively playing...because they couldn't get enough of the game. But, guess what? They didn't jump or drive in those pickup games cause...y'know, they didn't want to get an injury in a pickup game. That should tell you where injuries come from.

The schedule is NOT the problem. Never has been. Basketball causes injuries. And you keep recruiting stronger, faster, more athletic players, you're gonna get more basketball injuries. Not rocket science here.

You want to make some real impact on injuries, throw people out of the league who cause them with dirty play. That will have much more impact on preventing injuries in games than messing with the stupid schedule. Ban driving to the hoop, cause that causes injuries. Ban stepping on someone else's foot, cause that causes injuries. Ban jumping, cuz that causes injuries. Ban Basketball.

Or make it into something that is so benign, that injuries don't happen. Basketball-lite. Messing with the schedule doesn't address the problem at all. Well, that's not totally true I guess. If you stop people from playing basketball, they wont get any basketball injuries. Sigh...lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Players today of all sports just play significantly more. Obviously I would sacrifice 10 years for millions of dollars but the reality is that these guys put on extreme mileage.

Have you guys seen Tim walk nowadays? Compare that to his rookie year.

Their legs suffer a lot.

Thankfully Kawhi isnt as reliant with his jump as most wings...that should prolong his career by year or two.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're talking about what causes these injuries. And it ain't because they are looking at game film or flying first class from game to game. It's the game.

The game has changed, NOT the schedule. The schedule hasn't changed in 50 years. Now their blaming that on the injuries? Bull .

, it's really not even that...it's the people who now play the game. The NBA recruits people who have massive athletic skills these days, like being able to jump over tall buildings. If you SERIOUSLY want to to decrease injuries, you'd have to change the game of basketball and the people who play it.

Basketball is tough on the body. I played for 25 years. I've had 2 knee surgeries, my rotator cuffs are shot, I've had pretty much every injury known to man. , I've broken almost every finger on my hands (can't even pick up change in a coin machine...lol,)...because that's basketball. And we all knew it going in. We'd even talk about what we were doing to our bodies, and how we were going to pay for it later. And we weren't even getting paid to do it! I wouldn't change a thing. I'd even play pickup ball with some Spurs players, who were still actively playing...because they couldn't get enough of the game. But, guess what? They didn't jump or drive in those pickup games cause...y'know, they didn't want to get an injury in a pickup game. That should tell you where injuries come from.

The schedule is NOT the problem. Never has been. Basketball causes injuries. And you keep recruiting stronger, faster, more athletic players, you're gonna get more basketball injuries. Not rocket science here.

You want to make some real impact on injuries, throw people out of the league who cause them with dirty play. That will have much more impact on preventing injuries in games than messing with the stupid schedule. Ban driving to the hoop, cause that causes injuries. Ban stepping on someone else's foot, cause that causes injuries. Ban jumping, cuz that causes injuries. Ban Basketball.

Or make it into something that is so benign, that injuries don't happen. Basketball-lite. Messing with the schedule doesn't address the problem at all. Well, that's not totally true I guess. If you stop people from playing basketball, they wont get any basketball injuries. Sigh...lol
    None of the players in the article actually complained, btw, it's just the writer's POV..it hasn't even been discussed seriously in NBA circles, according to him IIRC..

Chris Bosh's doctor blames the traveling for his clot issues, at least partially, IIRC..it may not have the same effect on guards, but I think it certainly affects bigs..

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For a moment I thought I was reading some SAGirl's essays.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

We wish... they're not playing that many minutes.
    Curry makes his 30 before the 4th qtr.

Chuck disagrees with you.

“We’re so blessed,’’ Barkley said. “I limp around, but I go home to a big ol’ mansion. There’s people that work harder than Derrick Rose, who go home to a shack. There are consequences for what we do for a living. We’ve got the best life in the world. … I’ve got good sheets. I don’t know the thread count, but they’re good. I’ve got a big ol’ car, I never have to worry about my bills. There are pros and cons to what we do for a living."

http://chicago.suntimes.com/basketba...s-derrick-rose

Of course I think Chuck is not considering a wheelchair case.

I think young players need rest but still usually play all the games they can.

Spurs increased rest is more about old big 3. Which is understandable since their bodies even if healthy take longer to recover.
    I too have noticed they way Timmy walks and runs. It's like the drags his legs. Hope he can at least walk normally when he retires.
    Last edited by NameLess Scrub; 02-16-2016 at 01:28 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a good article.

Get your logicality out of here, the NBA will have nothing of the sort!

Thread Information