My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By Jonathan S. Landay, Seth Borenstein and Alison Young, Knight Ridder Newspapers
    Sun Sep 25, 8:18 PM ET

WASHINGTON - The speed with which the federal government marshaled significant military and other resources to evacuate, rescue and care for victims of Hurricane Rita raises new questions about why Washington was so slow to respond to Hurricane Katrina less than four weeks earlier.

The Bush administration says it's researching whether the federal government needs to have greater authority to respond to disasters - and whether the military should be in charge.

The response to Rita, however, suggests that the government had plenty of authority to respond to Katrina and that what was lacking during Katrina was an understanding of when to use that authority.

"The atmosphere here is very, very different than it was in the days following Katrina," said John Pine, Louisiana State University Disaster Science and Management director. Pine was in Louisiana's emergency operations center in Baton Rouge on Sunday and said that nearly as many federal officials were present as those from state and local agencies.

A day after Katrina, "it was all on the shoulders of state and locals," Pine said. "There was a lot more staging of a lot more operations in place for the second storm. ... I think you see a huge difference.
    *sic*

"By comparison, the Pentagon did not activate its Katrina task force until two days after Katrina struck and active-duty military units were not used in any major way until at least three days after. The first major deployment of active-duty ground troops did not occur until five days after Katrina struck.

Perhaps the most startling difference was the military's role in evacuating thousands of nursing home residents, hospital patients and other frail people ahead of Rita. During Katrina, hundreds of such patients languished for days in water-surrounded facilities.

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said the military conducted the evacuations at the request of the Department of Health and Human Services, a request Whitman acknowledged was "a bit outside the chain of command." Under the federal government's National Response Plan, such a request would normally come from FEMA.

Northern Command's preparations for Hurricane Rita also included placing on alert five two-man teams to set up long-range communications in the hardest-hit areas if requested by federal disaster relief officials. The teams were equipped with satellite telephones and fax machines. "

Yahoo News

The Comparisons don't just stop in the FEDs handling of the two disasters.

In the lead up to and during Hurricane Rita. The Press got wind of W's San Antonio "photo-op" and embarrassed W into canceling it so he "wouldn't get in the way". So W instead hunkered in a bunker in Colorado and was a total "hands on" CEO type of guy and directed every aspect of the operation. No mention that Rita did 1/10 the damage of Katrina and he had all the mistakes from Katrina to learn from. His PR machine expected us to swoon over his handling of Rita, but it's like comparing apples and oranges. The devastation from Rita paled in comparison to that of Katrina, but we're supposed to forget all about that and give him a medal for his bravery.

Right....... People will never forget those images of the dead and dying, and people who were treated worse than animals in the Superdome and Convention Center.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A tale of two Hurricanes...

Oct. 3, 2005 issue - This time, President Bush was not going to be caught out of position. He had flown to Colorado to the headquarters of Northern Command, the military nerve center for protecting the continental United States. "Northcom" is just across an air base from Cheyenne Mountain, where cold warriors had once watched for Soviet nuclear-missile attacks. A few hours after Hurricane Rita came ashore on the Texas-Louisiana border at dawn on Saturday, Bush sat in the Northcom Situation Room, looking at large flat screens filled with satellite images of the storm, graphics of troop deployments, and the faces of his commanders, including Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

The president was hearing mostly good news. The storm, though strong, was not a Category 4 or 5 monster. The vast network of refineries and oil platforms seemed to mostly withstand the 120-mile-an-hour winds and 15-foot storm surge. It would take weeks to get the gulf oil industry fully back online, and fuel prices were sure to go up. But the storm did not appear to have wrecked the economy or claimed hundreds of lives.

The president didn't look all that relieved or happy, however. His eyes were puffy from lack of sleep (he had been awakened all through the night with bulletins), and he seemed cranky and fidgety. A group of reporters and photographers had been summoned by White House handlers to capture a photo op of the commander in chief at his post. Bush stared at them balefully. He rocked back and forth in his chair, furiously at times, asked no questions and took no notes. It almost seemed as though he resented having to strike a pose for the press.
    MSNBC

In comparison, where was Rummy during Hurricane Katrina?

Revealed: Rumsfeld at Padres Ball Game As New Orleans Sank
    By E&P Staff
    Published: September 06, 2005 9:30 PM ET

NEW YORK The seemingly carefree behavior of top Bush administration officials early last week, who stuck to their vacations as tens of thousands cried for help in New Orleans, gained another twist with revelations that Pentagon chief Donald Rumsfeld was taking in a ball game in San Diego last Monday night--nearly 24 hours after Katrina hit the coast.

Rumsfeld has come under increasing criticism for the military's late arrival--offshore or otherwise--for possible use in rescue operations.
    Editor and Publisher

SW: Hot As Hell
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    le should read. "Rita Illustrates How the local, state, and fedral government failed after Katrina"

Rich and Smooth
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe it should read, Hindsight is 20/20!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By Jonathan S. Landay, Seth Borenstein and Alison Young, Knight Ridder Newspapers
    Sun Sep 25, 8:18 PM ET

*sic*

Yahoo News

In the lead up to and during Hurricane Rita. The Press got wind of W's San Antonio "photo-op" and embarrassed W into canceling it so he "wouldn't get in the way". So W instead hunkered in a bunker in Colorado and was a total "hands on" CEO type of guy and directed every aspect of the operation. No mention that Rita did 1/10 the damage of Katrina and he had all the mistakes from Katrina to learn from. His PR machine expected us to swoon over his handling of Rita, but it's like comparing apples and oranges. The devastation from Rita paled in comparison to that of Katrina, but we're supposed to forget all about that and give him a medal for his bravery.

Right....... People will never forget those images of the dead and dying, and people who were treated worse than animals in the Superdome and Convention Center.

Dan you are so right, how do think we should have handled Katrina? You know so much about these things. Bush is such a dumb . How in the world did he ever, ever become President?

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dan you are so right, how do think we should have handled Katrina? You know so much about these things. Bush is such a dumb . How in the world did he ever, ever become President?
    Damn, don't you pay attention? Karl Rove stole it for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, don't you pay attention? Karl Rove stole it for him.

Oh, I forgot. Will you forgive me. Dan I am so sorry I forgot this, please.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No mention that Rita did 1/10 the damage of Katrina and he had all the mistakes from Katrina to learn from.
    It's not the press' job to make partisan excuses for successful operations.

Seek True Love, within. bigzak25's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bush will never please you, no matter what he does...so why do you continually about it. Katrina slapped this whole country in the face...show me your posts where you were calling for all that you that wasn't done, To Be Done, BEFORE Katrina hit...I want to see if you were there from day one, BEFORE the hit the fan, or if you are just one of MANY HATING LIBERAL MONDAY MORNING QB'S...

I MYSELF, Called out GW the DAY it hit, or maybe the DAY after...AS SOON AS I SAW PEOPLE THAT NEEDED HELP...AND he made me proud a day later...so STFU with the ing already and bring some substance to the table for ONCE!

Oh, and since you ARE SO INFORMED about those 1st two days, I"M sure YOU ARE JUST AS INFORMED OF ALL THE HELP THAT BUSH HAD ENSURED SINCE THEN...so would you please put those FACTS on the table as well? OR ARE YOU AFRAID OF THE TRUTH?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually with the low numbers of dead and wounded this was an oustanding success for the Bush administration.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it was a success for the people! i applaud them greatly!

but 4 bush and his administration and the local gov'ts, they simply did their jobs...and for that I applaud them as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, a marrrrvveeellloouusss job! NOT!

By E&P Staff
    Published: September 25, 2005 9:50 PM ET

NEW YORK In Beaumont, Texas, claims that federal relief agencies learned their lessons from Hurricane Katrina and are on the ball in the aftermath of Hurricane Rita are apparently ringing hollow. The Beaumont (Tex.) Enterprise reported tonight that disaster response coordinators in the area hard hit by Rita say they are seeing the same foot-dragging federal response this weekend witnessed two weeks ago in New Orleans and Mississippi.

Jefferson County Judge Carl Griffith and other local leaders, "haggard after days of almost non-stop work with little sleep, pleaded with the federal government to get itself in a higher gear," the paper said. Griffith said he wanted to return services to residents who remain but that "it seems like they can't figure out how to get it done."

"There's a drastic shortage of generators in Beaumont to provide emergency power," Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst said. "There are generators at Ford Park, and FEMA is withholding their release. They want to finish their damage assessment."

Jefferson County officials had a plan to distribute Meals-Ready-to-Eat from local fire stations, the paper said. However, Griffith said the MREs, like the generators, were being withheld by FEMA.
    Editor and Publisher

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oh no foot dragging!!! ahhh!!! that's NEVER happened in any gov't offices before!

how many are dead, how many are suffering dan...facts...get some.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    J E B 0 8

The dynasty continues...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i actually want Guliani/Rice...but that's just me...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wtf start thinking myself?

Your the one that has never posted a single post that was not just a link to someone elses words..

And you know it Dan.. blow smoke up your own ass ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes Dan, let your cartoons speak for you, they are smarter after all...

hey, keep pointing the finger...but when there IS SUCCESS!

KEEP POINTING THE FINGER.

got it? good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ineeditnowgiveittomenowihavetohaveitright ingno widonotcareiflogisticsmakeitdifficultoryouoryouhav etomakesureyougetallofyourducksinarowbeforeyoustar tcarelesslythrowingawaymoneyihavetohaveitrightnowe venthoughtherewasahugedisasterandeveryoneneedsever ythingireallydonotgivea iwan allrightnowandif icannothaveitrightnowiwill abou inthemediaun tilmyheadexplodesyou ingrepublicans!!

needs a margarita
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SW, I think I'm turned on...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    i actually want Guliani/Rice...but that's just me...
    I'm not sure who I'd want the GOP to nominate for the presidency but I agree with Rice for VP.
    I think she could pull 25 - 35% of the black vote, up from the usual 10%.

Thread Information