Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez Frias ships 1,000,000 barrels of petroleum to the United States

The Venezuelan Embassy in Washington D.C. issued a press release late this morning to inform that Venezuela President Hugo Chavez’ pledge to ship approximately an additional one million barrels of gasoline to the United States in the wake of Hurricane Katrina’s devastation will begin to come to fruition on September 25 with the arrival at Port Everglades (Florida) of the bulk tanker 'B/t Energy Pride' with a first shipment of 240,000 barrels. The gasoline, produced by Petroleos de Venezuela (PDVSA) will be available immediately to US consumers through PDVSA’s wholly-owned US subsidiary, CITGO Petroleum Corp's distribution network ... and is supplementary to PDVSA’s normal shipments.

“As a Hemispheric neighbor and business partner, we are pleased that we are able to provide immediate relief by increasing gasoline supplies available in the United States in the aftermath of this devastating natural disaster,” said Venezuela’s Ambassador to the United States, Bernardo Alvarez Herrera. “We're sending additional barrels of gasoline that otherwise would have gone elsewhere, and we will continue to do whatever we can to help alleviate energy shortages and the dislocations faced by the people of the United States as a result of Hurricane Katrina.”

Three other shipments of 240,000 barrel each will arrive at regular intervals on the heels of this first. It is expected that the entire additional volume of close to one million barrels will be delivered to the US distribution system no later than October 31. Venezuela’s geographic proximity to the United States and PDVSA’s relationship with CITGO permits a much quicker response than could be achieved by other countries in Europe, the Middle East or Asia.

PDVSA is the 5th largest provider of petroleum products in the world and the 3rd largest provider to the United States. Over the last year, Venezuela has at times been the largest supplier of oil to the United States, surpassing Saudi Arabia, Canada and Mexico. It exports 95% of its hydrocarbons ... 57% of which are earmarked for the United States. PDVSA’S oil refining capacity globally is 3.3 million barrels per day.
    VHeadLine

Hummm..I wonder if W will lower his tone and rhetoric toward Chavez now? I know, wishful thinking.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last edited by whottt; 09-25-2005 at 07:37 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry, but I don't see anything special about a state/company (in this case, state owned company) filling in supply that has been cut off. Venezuela is the logic incremental supplier, so the fact that an incremental 1 million barrels are making their way to the US doesn't mean Chavez is a saint, it just means that the market works.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez Frias ships 1,000,000 barrels of petroleum to the United States

VHeadLine

Hummm..I wonder if W will lower his tone and rhetoric toward Chavez now? I know, wishful thinking.
    Isn't Chavez such a sweet little communist. I suppose he will really show his compassion by lowering the price.....yeah, hold you breath, blue is my favorite color.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry, but I don't see anything special about a state/company (in this case, state owned company) filling in supply that has been cut off. Venezuela is the logic incremental supplier, so the fact that an incremental 1 million barrels are making their way to the US doesn't mean Chavez is a saint, it just means that the market works.
    Pssssssst ! Scott........don't ruin Dan's wet dream!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For free or do we pay market price for it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    even if chavez lowered the price american retailers wouldn't
    You're probably right but Dan is hailing Chavez !

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is not a microchip up Chavez ass....

When he sat down in that chair.. little air blast machine built into the chair from CIA to shoot tracking chip in his buttocks.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be interesting to compare Citgo prices with ither retailers the next week or two.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

VHeadLine

Sure, 'cause Chavez has only nice things to say about America

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

....now take a look at the the anti-wars in America...when was the last time you saw them say anything bad about the terrorists targeting women and children in Iraq?

I just want to see them protest Usama and Zawahiri too....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be interesting to compare Citgo prices with ither retailers the next week or two.
    Venazuela prices for crude oil to the U.S. are already amongst the lowest. If the article is correct, this is a supplement of gasoline, already refined, so it's really no surprise that Scott wouldn't be too impressed, and if you think about it even a million barrels of gas would only be enough to feed the U.S.'s thirst for an hour or two.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Chavez may have his difference with the * administration, and maybe he has a right to be, after all, a CIA-led coupe against Chavez has already been tried once, and a much publicized terrorism threat by Pat Robertson against the Venezuelian leader went virtually unnoticed by the W.H..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ....now take a look at the the anti-wars in America...when was the last time you saw them say anything bad about the terrorists targeting women and children in Iraq?

By Whott's own logic, If the U.S. hadn't broken Iraq in the first place, there wouldn't be innocent women and children dieing in Iraq.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    By Whott's own logic, If the U.S. hadn't broken Iraq in the first place, there wouldn't be innocent women and children dieing in Iraq.

Are you forgetting about Saddam's gassing of the Kurds?

He Has Gassed His Own People
    By HNN Staff

"Saddam Hussein is a man who is willing to gas his own people, willing to use weapons of mass destruction against Iraq citizens. "--President Bush, March 22, 2002

"As he said, any person that would gas his own people is a threat to the world."--Scott McClellan, White House spokesman, May 31, 2002

Over the past six months President Bush has repeatedly reminded the public that Saddam Hussein gassed his own people. What he has neglected to mention is that at the time Saddam did so the United States did nothing to stop him. Indeed, as Samantha Power makes clear in an account in her new book, A Problem from : America in the Age of Genocide, the United States refused even to condemn the killing of civilians.

The infamous gas attack took place in mid-March 1988 in the Kurdish town of Halabja, the crossroads of an ongoing battle waged between a joint Kurdish-Iranian force and the Iraqi army. Caught in the middle were innocent civilians, including women and children. From Power's account:

"It was different from the other bombs," one witness remembered. "There was a huge sound, a huge flame and it had very destructive ability. If you touched one part of your body that had been burned, your hand burned also. It caused things to catch fire." The planes flew low enough for the petrified Kurds to take note of the markings, which were those of the Iraqi air force. Many families tumbled into primitive air-raid shelters they had built outside their homes. When the gasses seeped through the cracks, they poured out into the streets in a panic. There they found friends and family frozen in time like a modern version of Pompeii: slumped a few yards behind a baby carriage, caught permanently holding the hand of a loved one or shielding a child from the poisoned air, or calmly collapsed behind a car steering wheel.

http://hnn.us/articles/862.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't Chavez such a sweet little communist. I suppose he will really show his compassion by lowering the price.....yeah, hold you breath, blue is my favorite color.

I don't see our good friends, the Saudis, lowering their price of crude oil or shipping refined petroleum products to the U.S..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The infamous gas attack took place in mid-March 1988 in the Kurdish town of Halabja, the crossroads of an ongoing battle waged between a joint Kurdish-Iranian force and the Iraqi army. Caught in the middle were innocent civilians, including women and children. From Power's account:

"It was different from the other bombs," one witness remembered. "There was a huge sound, a huge flame and it had very destructive ability. If you touched one part of your body that had been burned, your hand burned also. It caused things to catch fire." The planes flew low enough for the petrified Kurds to take note of the markings, which were those of the Iraqi air force. Many families tumbled into primitive air-raid shelters they had built outside their homes. When the gasses seeped through the cracks, they poured out into the streets in a panic. There they found friends and family frozen in time like a modern version of Pompeii: slumped a few yards behind a baby carriage, caught permanently holding the hand of a loved one or shielding a child from the poisoned air, or calmly collapsed behind a car steering wheel.
    War is , remember that we used Internationally banned cluster-bombs against the Iraqis, and when Saddam was gassing the Iranians, the U.S. provided logistical support to Iraqi forces.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    War is , remember that we used Internationally banned cluster-bombs against the Iraqis, and when Saddam was gassing the Iranians, the U.S. provided logistical support to Iraqi forces.

To a certain extent I believe in playing by the rules the enemy abides by which translates to not playing by the rules.

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Chavez may have his difference with the * administration, and maybe he has a right to be, after all, a CIA-led coupe against Chavez has already been tried once, and a much publicized terrorism threat by Pat Robertson against the Venezuelian leader went virtually unnoticed by the W.H..
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Do you know ANYTHING about Chavez?? CIA-led coupe??? it was HIS OWN PEOPLE! Do you know how many marches went on before that aledged coupe?? Hundreds of thousands marched in opposition to Chavez, marches that would put your little anti-war demonstration march to shame!! Do a little research before you go on spewing opinion as if it was fact! You just lost serious credibility Nbadan!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Venazuela prices for crude oil to the U.S. are already amongst the lowest. If the article is correct, this is a supplement of gasoline, already refined, so it's really no surprise that Scott wouldn't be too impressed, and if you think about it even a million barrels of gas would only be enough to feed the U.S.'s thirst for an hour or two.
    Doesn't matter if he's sending crude oil, gasoline, or stuffed panda bears. It is nothing more than the logical incremental supplier supplying incremental demand.

And "Venezuela's crude oil prices among the lowest" isn't a function of Chavez doing any favors for America, it's because the bulk of Venezuela's supply is heavy sour, and a great deal of it is what is refered to as "super-heavy", almost a bitumen like consistency.

I'm not sure what you are trying to get at here, Dan - other than reaching for any type of implication you can that there is some right wing conspiracy at work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Agreed. You lose credibility as a pacifist if you only criticize one side.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Do you know ANYTHING about Chavez?? CIA-led coupe??? it was HIS OWN PEOPLE! Do you know how many marches went on before that aledged coupe?? Hundreds of thousands marched in opposition to Chavez, marches that would put your little anti-war demonstration march to shame!! Do a little research before you go on spewing opinion as if it was fact! You just lost serious credibility Nbadan!

Agreed. You lose credibility as a pacifist if you only criticize one side.

and

It's good to see some sane and credible posts coming out the Argentina faction of the board...it is entirely possible that my war with the Argentines and their country might be drawing to a close...Once Hendrix gets straightened out.

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and

It's good to see some sane and credible posts coming out the Argentina faction of the board...it is entirely possible that my war with the Argentines and their country might be drawing to a close...Once Hendrix gets straightened out.
    Don't worry Whottt, we still have plenty of thing to disagree about

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW, Venezuela is part of OPEC, just like any new Iraqi government will most likely be...so we are getting market price from them, unlike the countries on the dole from the OFF program(this is France, Germany, Russia and China BTW, with the biggest benficiaries being the French, who were in line for billions in Iraqi Oil development deals) ...the only major oil exporting countries we get subsidized Oil from are Canada and Mexico(I believe)...so much for the war for Oil theory...at best we were maintaining cheap oil for the Global market and maybe would have gotten susidies on Iraqi Oil on a temporary basis during the reconstruction....if we wanted subsidized Iraqi Oil we could have made friendly with Saddam and gotten it cheaper under the corrupt OFF program than we will ever get from any publicly scruitinized deal with the new Iraqi Govt. I don't blame the French for being pissed...this deal cost them billions of dollars...I just have a problem with them claiming there was some kind of altruism behind their motives and at the same time claiming ours were totally corrupt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the only major oil exporting countries we get subsidized Oil from are Canada and Mexico(I believe)
    Nope, we pay market price for Mexican and Canadian production.

Thread Information