Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    BTW, that thing we call Mother Ocean is nothing but a giant environemntal catastrophe and has been for a billion years. It's nothing but a giant sewer filled with chemicals reactions, dead animals, and and piss...So if you've ever wondered what fish tastes like...just think back to the last time you got a good healthy gulp of Ocean water. I think the piss is what gives it that salty taste

When you get the fish to stop pissing and ting in the Ocean...then we can talk about human impact on the environment. The g damn fish are polluting 75% of the Earth...Humans only pollute 25%!

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    When you get the fish to stop pissing and ting in the Ocean...then we can talk about human impact on the environment. The g damn fish are polluting 75% of the Earth...Humans only pollute 25%!

'Cuz isn't there, like, a ga-jillion of them? That must be why 99% of the CO2 in the atmosphere comes from ocean water vapor.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Multimedia Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    there is no doubt the global warming is real (unless you're an right-wing idealogue who only follows Repub science)

dubya lies when he says "more study", but that's just what the energy boys told him to say.

The question is how much global warming is due to human activity (eg, esp burning carbon fuels) and how much is natural.

But let's it all. Let's just keep going on our merry way, assume everythng is ok, keep burning carbon fuels and higher and higher rates, run ourselves into the petroleum "tipping point" sooner rather than later, conservation, research into alternative fuels, into renewable sources, etc, etc. This is called the "status quo" and by definition, conservatives' priority is to maintain the status quo.

Never expect anything creative or alternative or visionary from a conservative, as anyone can see demonstrated by 5 years of dubya's puppetmasters running the show.

Lottery Pick hunter-thereckoning's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    hey mookie....what do you do to help stop global warming?

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    there is no doubt the global warming is real (unless you're an right-wing idealogue who only follows Repub science)

dubya lies when he says "more study", but that's just what the energy boys told him to say.

The question is how much global warming is due to human activity (eg, esp burning carbon fuels) and how much is natural.

But let's it all. Let's just keep going on our merry way, assume everythng is ok, keep burning carbon fuels and higher and higher rates, run ourselves into the petroleum "tipping point" sooner rather than later, conservation, research into alternative fuels, into renewable sources, etc, etc. This is called the "status quo" and by definition, conservatives' priority is to maintain the status quo.

Never expect anything creative or alternative or visionary from a conservative, as anyone can see demonstrated by 5 years of dubya's puppetmasters running the show.

^^^^^Leave it to an asshole to bring politics into it...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    well according to some people it cant be stopped
    this last year i have greatly reduced my driving
    thats due mostly to prices though

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    true...its funny because you drive a truck with a large exhaust

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ^^^^^Leave it to an asshole to bring politics into it...

Think we should start a "get boutons laid" fund?

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Yeah...but you and boutons and your ilk use PCs don't you?

The chemical combinations used in the making of a micro chip are among the most toxic on the planet...that case you have is made from fossil fuels and CO2 was produced in the making of it...

But you and boutons don't give a about that do you...as long as you have you precious ing internet! Polluters! Global warmers!

Boutons is a ing hypocrite unless he gives up his computer right now and never uses it again.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Think we should start a "get boutons laid" fund?
    I'd rather we start a "send boutons to the Paki Afghan border" fund...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    then why are you talking about it if its unstoppable?

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Why environmentalists should love the prospect of thermonuclear war:

Nuclear winter, how it can offset Global Warming, and other benefits to the planet:

Carl Sagan, and other authors introduced the idea of "Nuclear Winter" in a 1983 scientific journal article (Science, Dec. 1983, pg. 1283). In the theory of Nuclear Winter, after the explosions of a nuclear exchange have died down--the spread of smoke in the atmosphere from nuclear-started fires, could absorb sunlight, darken the sky and ultimately lower the temperature of the Earth from 1 to 5 degrees Centigrade within a few months.

The models in this study further show that a change in the temperature of even one (1) degree Centigrade (which may not sound like much) could unbalance the ecosystem and affect the survival of many species on Earth, including mankind.

Other researchers studying carbon deposits in sedimentary layers have do ented a period in Earth’s past when ancient wildfires were widespread. Did these “ancient wildfires” lead to the extinction of the Dinosaurs? Fossils in the sediments in the K-T boundary also show a strange disappearance of about 50 percent of the genera in this period of time.

These ancient fires may provide evidence from Earth's past that give us an idea of how a nuclear war climate might affect the climate. It would be hard to prepare for the striking of an asteroid, though in Hollywood films mankind always gets together to defeat even such a random event.

This layer of particles would significantly reduce the amount of sunlight that reached the surface, and could potentially remain in the stratosphere for weeks or even years (smoke and soot arising from the burning petroleum fuels and plastics absorbs sunlight much more effectively than smoke from burning wood). The ash would be carried by the midla ude west-to-east winds, forming a uniform belt of particles encircling the northern hemisphere from 30° to 60° la ude. These thick black clouds could block out much of the sun's light for a period as long as several weeks, causing surface temperatures to drop by as much as 20°C (35°F) during the occlusion.

The combination of darkness and killing frosts, combined with high doses of radiation from nuclear fallout, would severely damage plant life in the region. The extreme cold, high radiation levels, and the widespread destruction of industrial, medical, and transportation infrastructures along with food supplies and crops would trigger a massive death toll from starvation, exposure, and disease. It was also thought that nitrogen oxides generated by the blasts would degrade the ozone layer, as had been observed in the first thermonuclear blasts. Secondary effects from ozone depletion (and concomitant increases in ultraviolet radiation) would be significant, with impacts on the viability of most human staple agricultural crops as well as disruption of ocean food chains by killing off phytoplankton.

One effort to predict the meteorological effects of a large-scale nuclear war was the 1983 "TTAPS" study (from the initials of the last names of its authors, R.P. Turco, O.B. Toon, T.P. Ackerman, J.B. Pollack, and Carl Sagan). The authors were inspired to write the paper by cooling effects due to dust storms on Mars and to carry out a calculation of the effect they used a simplified two dimensional model of the Earth's atmosphere that assumed that conditions at a given la ude were constant. The consensus with more sophisticated calculations is that the atmospheric model used in TTAPS probably overestimates the degree of cooling although the amount of this overestimation remains unclear. Although such nuclear war would undoubtedly be devastating, the degree of damage to life on Earth as a whole remains controversial.

Now that is a pretty good argument on the benefits of nuclear war to the Human Race, however...I need to make a couple of points...

#1. That part of about the nuclear explosions destroying the ozone and letting all the UV rays in...

That's bull ...Ozone itself is created by UV light reacting with Oxygen...so a huge influc of UV rays would increase the rapidity with which ozone is created in our atmosphere...a lot of people and animals will be dead so there will be a lot more oxygen for it to react with. So the UV radiation thing is not a big deal...

On top of that...

It's been well established that dark skinned people have somewhat of a natural immunity to UV rays due to a larger concentration of pigment in their skin...

What does this mean in laymens terms? Well Mookie...it means all the white people will die first...which I know makes you happy.

And furthermore...the surviving civilization will almost certainly be vegetarian in nature due to the lack of land and animals.

The best part about it is...that the civil infracstructure and industrial complexes of just about every nation in the world will either be destroyed in the way...or else fall into disrepair from a lack of resources and energy to fix them.

This means...no more dirty nasty cars to polluting the earth...no big ole nasty factories producing ozone depleting emissions...

So in fact...not only will the nuclear winter offset the rising temperatures of the Earth...it will totally eradicate the casues of them...as well as the causes of ozone depletion..as well as a variety of Earth's other impending issues like over population and hunger.

You get 10 years of it being a little cold and then boom...paradise. No more white people, cars and meat eaters, ...no more ozone depletion and no more global warming, no more over population problems... it'll probably even help communism come into vogue because everyone is going to be poor...

And remember...nuclear energy, chemical reactions and UV rays are our friends...t'was they that created us and gave us life...t'will be they that save us.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    The models in this study further show that a change in the temperature of even one (1) degree Centigrade (which may not sound like much) could unbalance the ecosystem and affect the survival of many species on Earth, including mankind.

Hmmm...let's see 7-500 years ago(back when Greenland was actually Green) the Earth hit a mini-iceage...let's see, the temperature then compared to now...1 degree centigrade cooler than it is now...Something to think about.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    We can't even control hurricanes...do you realize how much larger the Earth's atomosphere is?

I love it when people use Venus as an example...are we supposed to learn from the Venusian's mistake? Tell me what they did wrong and I promise not to do it...

Oh...Cow farts are a tremendous cause of global warming...so much so that a cowfart tax was imposed on many of the signitories of the Kyotol protocol...

Ask some of our New Zeleander Spurs buddies about it.

If cow farts can do that much damage...imaging how much damage dinosaurs cutting the cheese did to the environment!

I hate to tell you this but you live and breathe as the result of environmental pollution and ozone depletion...you live because of a giant nuclear reaction combined with chemical spills and ultraviolet rays...

I told y'all it was the cows. But did you listen? Noooooo

Multimedia Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    "The chemical combinations used in the making of a micro chip are among the most toxic on the planet."

your point? you saying semiconductors are primary cause of CO2 pollution? or any pollution. semiconductor factories, nearly all of which were built recently under stringent pollution regulations, are significant sources of pollution?

"..that case you have is made from fossil fuels and CO2 was produced in the making of it..."

your science sucks hind , Whott. In USA, 70% of petroleum is use for transportation, about another 20% is used for space heating and electrical generation. The amt of petroleum that ends as plastic or materials, eg in PCs and electronics, is actually quite small.

Throw in the burning of coal, another industry dubya protects, and you just about have 100% of the C02 produced by man in the USA. And the USA consumes twice as much petroleum per capita as other industrial nations.

So your boy dubya's hypocritical call today to reduce driving (he goes from dumb to dumber every time he opens his mouth) is in the "right" direction, "personal virtue" as head calls it, but of course he really means reduce your driving temporarily due to the hurricane-reduced gasoline refining capacity. dubya has absolutley no interest and no programs to reduce petroleum consumption and thereby reduces the $Bs in profits of his oilco buddies.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    whottt owned yet again

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Americans drive cars, it's Bush's fault
    Just shut the up.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    whottt owned yet again

Ahh so you'd rather pollute the environment than stop posting...that's what I thought...hypocrite. Just like boutons...preach, preach, preach, preach, , , but when it comes time to help the environment by not contributing to polution by purchase and usage of computer products...then it's different....it's different when ya'll do it right?

Notice how boutons ignorantly ignores the fact that computers and their parts must be shipped...and shipping uses a lot of fuel as well...does he care? No, he just keeps on posting and blames Bush for inventing the automobile. Somewhere someone is hot...yet boutons and mookie don't give a , they just keep on posting and preaching about what people need to do about global warming...as they stuff themselves and get fat on flurocarbons and causing people everywhere to get hot. ing Pigs.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    If you guys want to have a real discussion on climate change, start by backing up your statements with studies and actual facts. I'm so tired of the same bull that is tossed around.

"most scientists say..." "anyone can see..." "blah blah ing blah"

If you feel something is correct, back it up or shut the up.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Hey that will work for me, sounds like a really good plan. Wish I had of thought of it myself.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Hey CBF, watch ABC news tonight. They have a report on the ice caps.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    If you guys want to have a real discussion on climate change, start by backing up your statements with studies and actual facts. I'm so tired of the same bull that is tossed around.

"most scientists say..." "anyone can see..." "blah blah ing blah"

If you feel something is correct, back it up or shut the up.

Trust me, i would have gladly typed out loads of stuff from the book im currently studying, and looked up sources, but i've been studying for tests and what not.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    You're moving from global warming to the entire impact of humans on the environment. Which do you want to discuss?
    BTW, I forgot to say at the time, that the reason they cannot be seperated, is because their effects are synergistic....which is why the loss of recharge zones, and available habitat for diversity is increasing the effect of the climate change, and vice versa, compared to if they happened seperately

Thread Information