Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bringing over young players isn't a huge cost either in terms of cap space, as it removes those $544k roster charges. Essentially whatever you pay them less $544k. None of them is in Splitter's boat of having to offer a lot of money to pry them away from Europe.

What type of money would it take to sign Bertans (most likely to sign next year) and others? I know there are differences with the first rounders (making some harder to bring over if they have big buyout clauses ... LJC, Milutinov) and seconds too.
    If you recall, the previous projection was $20.4 Million, so this isn't a huge difference. I essentially used the holds for all three of the team's outstanding first-rounders (29, LJC and Milutinov), which are a little over $900k each. So you add up the three increases, and you get the differential.

As far as Bertans is concerned, I think he will get something near $3M/3. He's not THAT good of a player in Europe. I don't think he's currently making more than the rookie min right now. Second-rounders don't have rookie scales, so teams can sign them to whatever contracts they want, so the Spurs can give him a three- or four-year deal for however little Bertans will accept over the min, provided they use cap space or the MLE. That first year would probably be guaranteed, as that is pretty customary with contracts structured that way. Similarly, I think they would give Cady a three-year deal starting at the min with perhaps that first year being guaranteed to reward him for going to Austin last season. Bertans' deal would count nearly the same as a first-rounder's, so swapping him out for Milutinov or LJC keeps the cap situation the same, whereas Cady's would have no effect on the cap.

LJC doesn't have a buyout, as he's a pending free agent. This is also why I feel he's extremely likely to come over, as he now has all of the leverage. Milutinov has two more years in Greece, but I am pretty sure his buyouts are affordable.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you recall, the previous projection was $20.4 Million, so this isn't a huge difference. I essentially used the holds for all three of the team's outstanding first-rounders (29, LJC and Milutinov), which are a little over $900k each. So you add up the three increases, and you get the differential.

As far as Bertans is concerned, I think he will get something near $3M/3. He's not THAT good of a player in Europe. I don't think he's currently making more than the rookie min right now. Second-rounders don't have rookie scales, so teams can sign them to whatever contracts they want, so the Spurs can give him a three- or four-year deal for however little Bertans will accept over the min, provided they use cap space or the MLE. That first year would probably be guaranteed, as that is pretty customary with contracts structured that way. Similarly, I think they would give Cady a three-year deal starting at the min with perhaps that first year being guaranteed to reward him for going to Austin last season. Bertans' deal would count nearly the same as a first-rounder's, so swapping him out for Milutinov or LJC keeps the cap situation the same, whereas Cady's would have no effect on the cap.

LJC doesn't have a buyout, as he's a pending free agent. This is also why I feel he's extremely likely to come over, as he now has all of the leverage. Milutinov has two more years in Greece, but I am pretty sure his buyouts are affordable.
    Given LJC is a FA, that changes things a bit. Thought he was a year or two from being ready to come over, but he likely gets sent to Austin. As the 28th pick, looks like it's $990,700 based on this year's math (and under $1.1 million for first three years ... very cheap albeit over the minimum). Milutinov is barely above that though he's likely in Europe another year, and the 29th pick is below that. Add up LJC, 29th and Bertans at $3 million for three roster spots, and it would cost the Spurs ~$1.5 million more than the minimum holds. Could make a small difference on the margin, but at some point they need to see what they have over in Europe and it's the only way to get younger.

Hanga had a good year over in Europe but not sure the Spurs want to roll with Anderson-Simmons-LJC-Hanga backing up Leonard and Green if Manu hangs it up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too early to update the cap availability projections for the summer of 2017?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too early to update the cap availability projections for the summer of 2017?
    A bit. Have to see who else is signed and wait until the cap numbers even out. Should have between $42 Million and $23 Million depending on options, though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A bit. Have to see who else is signed and wait until the cap numbers even out. Should have between $42 Million and $23 Million depending on options, though.
    Interesting; thanks for your work on this stuff

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Larry Sanders is not an option, no? Too many character issues?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eric Pincus has updated the Spurs salaries.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/sa...s-team-salary/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks. I can't believe Bertans took a pay cut to give Gasol more money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks. I can't believe Bertans took a pay cut to give Gasol more money.

Yeah, I appreciate the kid even more.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So it looks like if all options are picked up and there is a projected cap of 103, then there is about 9m in space next summer? That goes up to about 28M if Dedmon and Gasol opt out, which I assume may have been the reasoning for the 1+1.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Dedmon and Gasol opt out the Spurs are toast in the middle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would have enough to max out Noel....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Around the trade deadline, Dedmon + Kyle +1st for Noel? Would you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he's a restricted free agent the next year and you can offer the max, why offer anything?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably not. Anderson would have to bomb for that to make sense. Would rather give up Murray instead and just re-sign Mills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he's a restricted free agent the next year and you can offer the max, why offer anything?
    Because Philly could match, and you'd have to hope you're the most persuasive even if they don't match. If you have his RFA rights, you know you have him no matter what.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    DedMan being irreplaceable .....just sign 40yr old ChewBaka

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't rate Kyle, but you think an expiring (option), him and a late 1st will be enough to get Noel?

Spurs would do this trade, of course, but Philly will get much better offers. At least a mid 1st pick, even a late lotto one.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know it's going to happen, but the notion that he's get maxed is just wild to me.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    trade parkey

Transition 3 Willbreaker Captivus's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In what scenario do you se Gasol opting out?!!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In what scenario do you se Gasol opting out?!!
    If Gasol played a lot better than his contract. I doubt it.

Otherwise, it would be hard for him to find $15m offer somewhere else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can always trade Gasol if we need cap room. I'm all in on George Hill in free agency, he's exactly what we need. Long, quick defender at the point guard position, he can create for himself and others, obviously he fits in the culture here with Pop etc... Perfect replacement for Manu. A backcourt/wing rotation of Hill, Green/Simmons and Kawhi is as good defensively as any in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Gasol played a lot better than his contract. I doubt it.

Otherwise, it would be hard for him to find $15m offer somewhere else.
    Or a scenario where he wants to pay and he is willing to take a paycut for a longer deal, just like Jefferson.

He opts out 15m, then take a 3y/30m deal. If he doesn't plan to retire or play in Europe again, I could see him doing it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or a scenario where he wants to pay and he is willing to take a paycut for a longer deal, just like Jefferson.

He opts out 15m, then take a 3y/30m deal. If he doesn't plan to retire or play in Europe again, I could see him doing it.
    Most guys would go this route, but I can see Gasol being the rare type who'd opt in, instead of chasing the money. He's already got his money and rings and if he really likes it he'd be happy to opt in imo instead of chasing a couple of million more somewhere he might not fit in ( and there are a lot of teams a 37 year old Gasol would not fit in ). I don't see the Spurs giving him a 2 or 3 year contract, don't think they'd want to mess with the 2018 cap space.

Thread Information