Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way Gasol opts out dude.

The big off season questions are:

1. How do you keep Dedmon bc he IS opting out?

2. You have full bird to sign Patty, but what price is too high for the team? I'm assuming 4/48 is not an Unreasonable starting point.

3. How do you replace Manus production?

4. Is David Lee going to want one more big deal, or is he good taking a smaller amount to stay?

5. Spurs will extent QO on Simmons but is someone going to bid up his price next summer?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way Gasol opts out dude.

The big off season questions are:

1. How do you keep Dedmon bc he IS opting out?

2. You have full bird to sign Patty, but what price is too high for the team? I'm assuming 4/48 is not an Unreasonable starting point.

3. How do you replace Manus production?

4. Is David Lee going to want one more big deal, or is he good taking a smaller amount to stay?

5. Spurs will extent QO on Simmons but is someone going to bid up his price next summer?
    Absolutely no way Gasol will opt out.

Big questions:

1. The "Retweet" and Deadman's injury are really clouding the issue. For whatever reason, Pop wasn't giving Deadman as many minutes as many ST "experts" (and others) expected. It will be very interesting to see how Pop uses him and how well he plays when he returns. Right now, with such a small sample size, it is just not clear whether Pop would want Deadman back at any price.

2. Patty's future is pretty complicated, too. He is one of the Spurs' three best 3-point shooters, and his ball-handling skills (though still not elite) have improved greatly. Moreover, in a Spurs' world where the team will likely lose its Big Three in three consecutive years, Patty would suddenly become (along with Danny) the elder statesmen. Patty shows the better leadership skills of the two. During the era of the Big Three the Spurs' corporate knowledge was transmitted through a huge conduit. That pipeline took a huge hit with Timmy's retirement this season. It will take a big hit next season (assuming Manu retires). And will take another hit a the following season (assuming Tony retires). And I would not be surprised to see Patty give the Spurs a hometown discount a la Danny. I tend to think Patty will reach a deal to stay with the Spurs. 4/48 would be excellent value for the Spurs under the new cap.

3. It seems pretty clear that the Spurs hope and/or expect and/or plan for Simmons to assume Manu's role. Otherwise - ?

4. Will any team be willing to offer David Lee a big contract after one year in San Antonio when nobody was this pre-season?

5. Simmons is working very hard on his handles, his passing and his judgment. I am very encouraged by that even though it means that he has largely curbed his high-light reel athletic plays such as the slam dunks. If he gains confidence in his handles/passing/judgment and re-integrates those eye-popping athletic plays into his game, Simmons will be a very nice player worth most of (if not all) of Manu's money. His defensive game is also picking up. So, yeah, the Spurs will extend a QO which another team might bid up. It would have to be pretty steep to prevent the Spurs from matching it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pattys salary doesn't matter, the question for free agency is if we can live with his ~$5m cap hold. Normally I'd say that's a no-brainer but if we want George Hill, do we need 3 point guards?

Gasol may or may not opt out, but we can always trade him or stretch him for cap room.

I would love both Dedmon and Lee to opt in but there's a possibility that neither will. If Dedmon wants a bigger payday then I think we let him go, I'm not gonna pay him $10m+ per year. I'd happily give Lee the Room Exception assuming we score a free agent.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely no way Gasol will opt out.

Big questions:

1. The "Retweet" and Deadman's injury are really clouding the issue. For whatever reason, Pop wasn't giving Deadman as many minutes as many ST "experts" (and others) expected. It will be very interesting to see how Pop uses him and how well he plays when he returns. Right now, with such a small sample size, it is just not clear whether Pop would want Deadman back at any price.

2. Patty's future is pretty complicated, too. He is one of the Spurs' three best 3-point shooters, and his ball-handling skills (though still not elite) have improved greatly. Moreover, in a Spurs' world where the team will likely lose its Big Three in three consecutive years, Patty would suddenly become (along with Danny) the elder statesmen. Patty shows the better leadership skills of the two. During the era of the Big Three the Spurs' corporate knowledge was transmitted through a huge conduit. That pipeline took a huge hit with Timmy's retirement this season. It will take a big hit next season (assuming Manu retires). And will take another hit a the following season (assuming Tony retires). And I would not be surprised to see Patty give the Spurs a hometown discount a la Danny. I tend to think Patty will reach a deal to stay with the Spurs. 4/48 would be excellent value for the Spurs under the new cap.

3. It seems pretty clear that the Spurs hope and/or expect and/or plan for Simmons to assume Manu's role. Otherwise - ?

4. Will any team be willing to offer David Lee a big contract after one year in San Antonio when nobody was this pre-season?

5. Simmons is working very hard on his handles, his passing and his judgment. I am very encouraged by that even though it means that he has largely curbed his high-light reel athletic plays such as the slam dunks. If he gains confidence in his handles/passing/judgment and re-integrates those eye-popping athletic plays into his game, Simmons will be a very nice player worth most of (if not all) of Manu's money. His defensive game is also picking up. So, yeah, the Spurs will extend a QO which another team might bid up. It would have to be pretty steep to prevent the Spurs from matching it.
    Good stuff in here.

The other player I'm starting to wonder about is Green. He's a key cog, but I wonder if he'll be the cost of upgrading the backcourt which is frankly hurting. Wonder what a package base on Green/Mill could fetch at the deadline?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can always trade Gasol if we need cap room. I'm all in on George Hill in free agency, he's exactly what we need. Long, quick defender at the point guard position, he can create for himself and others, obviously he fits in the culture here with Pop etc... Perfect replacement for Manu. A backcourt/wing rotation of Hill, Green/Simmons and Kawhi is as good defensively as any in the league.
    sick tbh.. hill, green, kawhi, aldridge, gasol would be a nightmare for anyone

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pattys salary doesn't matter, the question for free agency is if we can live with his ~$5m cap hold. Normally I'd say that's a no-brainer but if we want George Hill, do we need 3 point guards?

Gasol may or may not opt out, but we can always trade him or stretch him for cap room.

I would love both Dedmon and Lee to opt in but there's a possibility that neither will. If Dedmon wants a bigger payday then I think we let him go, I'm not gonna pay him $10m+ per year. I'd happily give Lee the Room Exception assuming we score a free agent.
    Based on the small sample size, if Deadman wants $10MM/Yr I would sign him in a heartbeat. I don't think we will see another free agent of comparable value that we could get for that money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good stuff in here.

The other player I'm starting to wonder about is Green. He's a key cog, but I wonder if he'll be the cost of upgrading the backcourt which is frankly hurting. Wonder what a package base on Green/Mill could fetch at the deadline?
    Personally, I would find it hard to part with BOTH Patty and Danny at the same time. If I had a choice, I would hang on to Patty, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good stuff in here.

We're not giving up two key rotation pieces with playoff experience at the deadline, we're still a contender although not the favorites

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Based on the small sample size, if Deadman wants $10MM/Yr I would sign him in a heartbeat. I don't think we will see another free agent of comparable value that we could get for that money.
    $10m/yr is a bit high IMO, this is a guy who was on the scrapheap 6 months ago and is playing under 15 min/game. If he's opting out I think we can keep him for $30m/4yr which would be a good deal provided Pop thinks he can contribute for 25min+

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    $10m/yr is a bit high IMO, this is a guy who was on the scrapheap 6 months ago and is playing under 15 min/game. If he's opting out I think we can keep him for $30m/4yr which would be a good deal provided Pop thinks he can contribute for 25min+
    $30/4 would be a very good deal with the cap going up again. A good part of my evaluation is precisely the fact that Deadman was (ahem) buried only six months ago. Given a good chance on a good team with a good coaching staff, Deadman's ascendance seems, not exactly meteoric, but very impressive. Projecting that same rate into the future makes $10MM/yr under the increased cap seem like a very small gamble. At any rate, I hope the Spurs can come to terms with him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has anyone done the 2017 cap projections? Eyeballing it looks like the Spurs will have about 13M in space if Dedmon opts out. one would have to think the likely approach is for Dedmon to get the bulk of that (8M), J. Simmons getting a part (3M), and then a small remainder for a vet/resign Lee (2M). Then the Spurs re-up Mills using bird rights.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has anyone done the 2017 cap projections? Eyeballing it looks like the Spurs will have about 13M in space if Dedmon opts out. one would have to think the likely approach is for Dedmon to get the bulk of that (8M), J. Simmons getting a part (3M), and then a small remainder for a vet/resign Lee (2M). Then the Spurs re-up Mills using bird rights.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/san-anton...rs/yearly/cap/

Is pretty solid usually. With 102 projected cap would have 13mil~ - Patty and Simmons cap holds which I'm thinking are like 6mil and 1.5mil~ or so

Thats like 5-7mil left.

I could see Lee opting out and getting us another 1mil~ and then resigning after if he was willing to come back

Patty will have to be the first decision unless we part ways with Tony or Gasol.

I guess Danny would be an option too but I lean toward no on that because of his under market value contract and we have no ability to replace him

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Pau opts out, unless there is something good in it for him. I wouldn't be opposed to refinancing his last year to do a 20m/2yr deal. Opens up about 5m in space.

I am not sold on LMA and Pau working together. Plus LMA has underperformed so far essentially making him duplicative. If that holds I'd rather have the cheaper version for the same years, and see what I could get for LMA via trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Pau opts out, unless there is something good in it for him. I wouldn't be opposed to refinancing his last year to do a 20m/2yr deal. Opens up about 5m in space.

I am not sold on LMA and Pau working together. Plus LMA has underperformed so far essentially making him duplicative. If that holds I'd rather have the cheaper version for the same years, and see what I could get for LMA via trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Someone would take Pau from us in a salary dump, even if it meant giving up a second rounder or two. Minnesota wanted him this summer with the Thibs connection, he's an experienced veteran who would be great for a young team to learn from. If we need to room we can move him.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I except Dedmon to give the Spurs a discount ala Patty/Danny.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would he give a discount? Anyway, I see anything less than 8M very unlikely for dedmon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I except Dedmon to give the Spurs a discount ala Patty/Danny.
    I hope you are right, but why would you expect a discount from Deadman?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would he give a discount? Anyway, I see anything less than 8M very unlikely for dedmon.
    Part of me thinks that his value is being overrated by ST
    maybe a team will toss money his way but
    a 4 year, $32 million dollar deal seems about right

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Question, (since this has to do with salaries) do you think Pop and RC might go after George Hill in FA?
    Wonder how much money he would command.
    This is of course assuming they find a way to trade tony. Love him, but he's pretty much done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Question, (since this has to do with salaries) do you think Pop and RC might go after George Hill in FA?
    Wonder how much money he would command.
    This is of course assuming they find a way to trade tony. Love him, but he's pretty much done.
    Answer, you're stupid.

Tony isn't getting traded.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Answer, you're stupid.

Tony isn't getting traded.
    You called me stupid over the Internet??? I don't know how I'll recover...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was gonna leave this open as per my usual way of handing discussion threads, but this is dead enough to kill immediately.

Thread Information