Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The technology is moving pretty slowly, this isn't the 1990s or early 2000s. Right now a $200 i5-2500k released in January 2011 is still a really strong cpu for gaming, ask Cry Havoc. CPU improvement has been glacial the last five years. Whereas a $300 cpu from the early 2000s was obsolete in two years. DJR210's GTX 680 from early 2012 is still a really capable 1080p 60 fps gaming card. , a GTX 580 from late 2010 is still a decent 1080p card. Sony just put ty hardware in their console this generation. The cpus they use are laughably bad.
    I mean, it depends. Yes, older cards can still push 1080p at acceptable framerates, but a lot of the newer games are really pushing the envelope. Some of the more modern effects like tessellation and ambient occlusion are absolutely destroying cards right now and add a ton of detail to an image.

I would argue that the largest reason for CPUs staying viable so long is due to the fact that so much more of the graphic calculations are being offloaded to the video card these days. In 2010, your system was probably about 50/50 for some games as far as how much your CPU mattered vs GPU. Now it's more like 10/90, as long as you have a modern quad core it's going to be able to handle most of what's going on in games because it's supplemental to the card.

Also consider the 580 at launch was a monster $500 card. It will run Witcher 3 on low @ 1080 and get around 40fps. Definitely impressive that it can still run the game, but I would argue it's on the verge of being obsolete. That said, a GTX580 is still capable of more floating point operations than a PS4.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, it depends. Yes, older cards can still push 1080p at acceptable framerates, but a lot of the newer games are really pushing the envelope. Some of the more modern effects like tessellation and ambient occlusion are absolutely destroying cards right now and add a ton of detail to an image.

I would argue that the largest reason for CPUs staying viable so long is due to the fact that so much more of the graphic calculations are being offloaded to the video card these days. In 2010, your system was probably about 50/50 for some games as far as how much your CPU mattered vs GPU. Now it's more like 10/90, as long as you have a modern quad core it's going to be able to handle most of what's going on in games because it's supplemental to the card.

Also consider the 580 at launch was a monster $500 card. It will run Witcher 3 on low @ 1080 and get around 40fps. Definitely impressive that it can still run the game, but I would argue it's on the verge of being obsolete. That said, a GTX580 is still capable of more floating point operations than a PS4.
    A 580 is still on par with or better than lower midrange cards like the GTX 960, GTX 950, R7 370, etc. You can still sync to 30 fps on Witcher 3 at mostly medium settings with it, and Witcher 3 is a real outlier for how much it kicks gpu's asses. Tessellation and ambient occlusion don't hit me too hard man, those are AMD problems.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 04-23-2016 at 11:59 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But this could be a brilliant move if they decrease.the base model price by 100 dollars. That 45-50 million will most likely double in a year. I dont see why they wont if the neo is priced around 399...

Imagine a ps4 base model of 299 dollars and Neo at 399. Sony is going to make an ever bigger killing and drown xbox and the next nintendo.

Sucks for consumers who just brought the base model in the last 6 months though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who needs a playstation 4? I am selling mine imo.

There is only one little problem though. It has that random ejection problem which doesn't happen often but it does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the PS4/Xbox one is gonna be their last traditional console.. They're gonna have to go modular and allow people to customize their components like a PC with as fast as graphics tech is evolving.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the PS4/Xbox one is gonna be their last traditional console.. They're gonna have to go modular and allow people to customize their components like a PC with as fast as graphics tech is evolving.
    You think it's evolving fast now? I thought it was way faster in the past. Look at how huge a jump the 680 was over the 580 at a little more than half the die size and then the 580 successor (GTX an Black) offered more than twice the performance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think it's evolving fast now? I thought it was way faster in the past. Look at how huge a jump the 680 was over the 580 at a little more than half the die size and then the 580 successor (GTX an Black) offered more than twice the performance.
    Yeah, with DX12 and VR and I expect things to continue to push graphics tech.. gone are the days of 8 year console lifespans IMO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, with DX12 and VR and I expect things to continue to push graphics tech.. gone are the days of 8 year console lifespans IMO
    The XBox 360 had amazing hardware for its time, that's why it lasted so long.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The XBox 360 had amazing hardware for its time, that's why it lasted so long.
    Yup.. the good old days

Speaking of the good old days.. love this site..

www.retromags.com

You can download all the old EGM's, Gamepros, Game Players, etc in .cbz or cbr format and view with a comic book viewer app like Perfect Viewer for Android.. at seeing them rave about sound and graphics and "3D" graphics on some ty SNES games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After seeing that youtube i think im gonna wait for the neo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see another hardware rev in the future... the CPU is basically the same as the old one, clocked higher, but it still have some perf issues (cache/SIMD unit is kinda crappy, etc).

The GPU gets an overhaul now, but they can definitely do better.

I just don't know if they'll call it PS5...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On a side note, Outlast 2 looks ing amazing IMO.. I could see myself ting my pants in VR with a good sound system for sure

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On a side note, Outlast 2 looks ing amazing IMO.. I could see myself ting my pants in VR with a good sound system for sure

Can you actually hit something this time?

I have the first game. The stealthing was kind of cool at first but a few hours in I wanted to put a hatchet in someone's brain.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can you actually hit something this time?

I have the first game. The stealthing was kind of cool at first but a few hours in I wanted to put a hatchet in someone's brain.
    I doubt it.. The game is twisted, the environments and atmosphere are among the creepiest in any horror game I've played, and the immersion for me in this game was on point.. I honestly didn't miss having a weapon. Later in the game though you do fight back, but by using the environment. Still probably not gonna cut it for you.

The new one looks to be taking a satanic angle too, I can imagine the twisted satanic imagery they're gonna have in this one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just got my Neo devkit... working on a le that does 4k res right now..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just got my Neo devkit... working on a le that does 4k res right now..
    No , Minecraft is getting ported to PoorStation?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No , Minecraft is getting ported to PoorStation?

Actually, I was just thinking they got bought out by Microsoft for likely an insane amount of money, right?... then they released Minecraft 1st person?

Thread Information