San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Height: 6-6
    Weight: 223 lbs
    Birthday: 11/16/1993
    School: Florida State

DraftExpress
    NBADraft.net
    Last edited by Chinook; 04-22-2016 at 09:24 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't really like this guy's potential. His skill-set overlaps too much with Anderson's. The only difference I see is that Valentine is a better shooter while Kyle is a better defender. Maybe he could develop a bit with the Spurs, but the Spurs don't need another pass-first non-PG right now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he's at Michigan St. no? Anyway, I feel this guy will be the type of player that gets the most out of his few strengths and recognize his weakness. Something like the sg version of Corey Joseph. Great character guy apparently.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA Draft Room, 18 April 2016
    29. Spurs
    A veteran leader with a well rounded game.

Pros
    Impacts all aspects of the game, from the defensive end, to scoring and assisting and bringing great leadership and hustle. Has exceptionally high basketball I.Q. and always makes the right play. One of the best passers in the draft.

Has a much improved shooting touch and three point shot and has shown great improvement from the free throw line, now hitting well over 80%.

Well built with broad shoulders, long arms and good strength. A true warrior with a will to win.

Cons
    Is a good but not great athlete and isn't the fastest player.

Projects as more of a glue-guy at the next level but could develop into a high level starter.

Doesn't shoot very well off the dribble and will need to continue to improve his three point shot.

Comparisons
    Reminds of Evan Turner but with a little more passion.

Projection: mid first round pick in the 2016 NBA Draft

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he falls to the Spurs it will be a steal. Just cause he has some size does not make him an Anderson double.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't really like this guy's potential. His skill-set overlaps too much with Anderson's. The only difference I see is that Valentine is a better shooter while Kyle is a better defender. Maybe he could develop a bit with the Spurs, but the Spurs don't need another pass-first non-PG right now.
    I just looked him up.

This concerned me:

Measured 6'5" in shoes and is unathletic. While being a very versatile and intelligent player, the reality is that he doesn't have Kyle's size and length, which is probably Kyle's best physical attribute, helps him make up for a lot, rebound, get deflections, steals, play passing lanes, give space and still contest, etc. His length is a huge factor in his individual defense. One could very well argue that if Kyle wasn't 6'9" with a nearly 7'3" wingspan he would not be in the league right now so I have doubts with Denzel who is a below average athlete and very average in size if one considers him a wing.

Is it possible they will try him as a PG like Andre Miller, who is slow but a great passer? His passing could help the starters if he was considered a PG and not a wing.

He just has a red flag bc his lack of athleticism was already noticeable in the NCAA and he's not KA size and length. He might very well be DeColo-like. The good thing is he could shoot the 3 well which goes fine with Kawhi and LMA.

I am not opposed to him, bc I think him and Kyle are different positions and I like guys with a high IQ and nice passing. I think the team needs that moving forward. My concern with him really is whether his game will translate. This is him defensively:

he's an extremely poor defender that needed to be hidden constantly at the college level in order to not emerge as a liability. While somewhat of a combo guard offensively, he's best suited guarding small forwards who don't have much in the way of ball-handling ability or explosiveness on the other end. His lateral quickness is very poor, he doesn't cover ground well, and his effort really comes and goes, as he often looks fairly lazy closing out on shooters or trying to keep his man in front. Valentine relies heavily on reaching and grabbing his man to try and slow him down, which simply will not work at the NBA level.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 06-09-2016 at 06:36 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just looked him up.

This concerned me:

Measured 6'5" in shoes and is unathletic. While being a very versatile and intelligent player, the reality is that he doesn't have Kyle's size and length, which is probably Kyle's best physical attribute, helps him make up for a lot, rebound, get deflections, steals, play passing lanes, give space and still contest, etc. His length is a huge factor in his individual defense. One could very well argue that if Kyle wasn't 6'9" with a nearly 7'3" wingspan he would not be in the league right now so I have doubts with Denzel who is a below average athlete and very average in size if one considers him a wing.

Is it possible they will try him as a PG like Andre Miller, who is slow but a great passer? His passing could help the starters if he was considered a PG and not a wing.

He just has a red flag bc his lack of athleticism was already noticeable in the NCAA and he's not KA size and length. He might very well be DeColo-like. The good thing is he could shoot the 3 well which goes fine with Kawhi and LMA.

I am not opposed to him, bc I think him and Kyle are different positions and I like guys with a high IQ and nice passing. I think the team needs that moving forward. My concern with him really is whether his game will translate. This is him defensively:
    Denzel Valentine is just one of the players who fit the Spurs' mould of a versatile role player. There are other do-it-all high IQ guys, like Deandre Bembry and Malcolm Brogdon. All of them are around the same size (6'6" with 6'10" wingspans) with playmaking abilities. Valentine has the best stats, Bembry is the most athletic but needs to work on his outside shot, and Brogdon is the best defender with off-the-charts leadership abilities.

I hope the team grabs more than just one of them. They may not be able to move high enough to draft Valentine, but trading for a couple of lower picks may get them both Brogdon and Bembry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ my favorite is Brogdon. I am not really excited about Denzel bc his defensive deficiencies are a big turn off for me, but if he's picked I imagine Spurs deem he's not hopeless on that end. A focused on defense as Pop is, I don't think he would draft a guy who is a total liability.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ my favorite is Brogdon. I am not really excited about Denzel bc his defensive deficiencies are a big turn off for me, but if he's picked I imagine Spurs deem he's not hopeless on that end. A focused on defense as Pop is, I don't think he would draft a guy who is a total liability.
    Brogdon is a no-brainer if he's still available when the Spurs are picking at 29. But Valentine looks to be a good fit too if the Spurs can trade someone for a higher first round pick.

And Valentine's not exactly a complete liability on defence:

Michigan State’s disorganized defense without Valentine: It’s easy to look at Valentine’s monstrous numbers -- 18.5 points per game, 8.3 rebounds per game, 7.1 assists per game, 1.0 steals per game, 40 percent from the 3-point line, 85 percent from the free throw line -- and focus on the impact his absence has had on Michigan State’s offense. But his defensive presence is just as important. Maybe more important.

Louisville recorded 1.03 points per possession against Michigan State in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge. Michigan State’s next four opponents all registered less than one point per possession. Then Valentine was sidelined by the procedure on his knee. In Michigan State’s next two games -- against Oakland and at Iowa -- it surrendered 1.13 PPP and 1.17 PPP, respectively.
    Source: http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/110012/michigan-state-needs-denzel-valentines-defense

Defense

Perimeter Defense (On/Off Ball)

Like many Michigan State players, Valentine has developed in a good defender with great fundamentals and understanding of team defense. On the ball, Valentine positions himself well between his man and the basket, and shows average lateral movement over short distances. He reacts well to his man’s movements, but will tend to play on his heels if guarding a quicker player, leaving him vulnerable to quick changes in direction. Though his lateral movement could show some improvement, he can be very active and has the ability to pressure the ball, when needed. Valentine won’t make any chances on the ball, choosing to contain rather than try and force mistakes. Valentine seems to know his limitations against quicker players and does a great job looking to force them into help situations. If he does get beat on a quick first step, he doesn’t give up on plays, and his ability to use angles to cut off players has improved substantially. Valentine needs to work on getting over screens, and Michigan State will often rely on switches instead of forcing players to get through screens.

Off the ball, Valentine positions himself well and shows better movement, including showing the ability to deny passing lanes effectively. He is very active off the ball, bouncing effortlessly between help positions and still being able to get out on his man if he gets the pass. Valentine has great awareness, and he often sets the tone for the Spartans’ defense, barking out orders and having his teammates adjust, as needed. As on the offensive end, he sees the floor very well, and while he may not have great quickness, he has a knack for reading passes and being able to jump passing lanes. Valentine is a good help defender, whether it’s trapping on the sideline or double-teaming the post, and his constant activity allows him to cover a lot of ground. He does a great job shadowing his man off the ball, and he navigates through off-ball screens efficiently, leaving his opponent little space to get a shot after the catch. Valentine does a good job closing on shooters on the perimeter, though he can sometimes be slow to get out to them, but he always makes a strong effort.

Rebounding

Valentine is a very good rebounder for his size and position, tracking shots well, getting into position quickly, and using his body to seal off opponents. Strength may be a factor at the next level, but he puts in more effort than many guards to get involved, even against bigger players. While not much of a factor on the offensive boards, Valentine puts in a strong effort on the defensive boards, chasing down missed shots if he needs to. The bonus is Valentine can also get the team started in transition off the rebound, turning quickly after getting the shot and pushing the ball up the floor.
    Source: http://hoopshabit.com/2016/03/02/scouting-report-denzel-valentine/

The team needs an infusion of youth with playmaking abilities to complement the two stars. While the 2016 draft is lacking in star power, it has depth in quality role players, some of whom are versatile enough to play multiple positions. Getting 2 or 3 picks will help in the long run, and the high IQ ones may even contribute straight away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for sharing but I am not that impressed by him. Anderson was very impressive in the NCAA and just 20 yrs old when he entered the draft getting triple doubles too and was also a very efficient and younger player.

This guy may fall draft day too. He is going to be 23 soon and he's just not a good enough athlete for his size. His shooting and passing will translate but he will not be able to defend and I have legit questions about him. The same thing was said of Anderson, but he's 6'9" with incredible length for a wing with impressive instincts even back then and they have shown + he's improved in the NBA, but Pop got him very young. Denzel doesn't have any of that.

I looked back to his stats in the 2014 NCAA season and Anderson was much more impressive at that age as well.

I think he will struggle and will be a player in the mold of a series of shooters who can't defend and are not very athletic, but who can shoot and pass well like Marco or DeColo. Yes, he can be an NBA player but not a very good one. That's personal assessment. I wouldn't trade up for him. If he falls to us, then fine, and I think he will fall.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'll be better than KA for the simple reason that he can shoot. Seems his shooting is of no value in here. Vasquez with the ball but he'll have more off ball movement in his game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Chip can fix Bembry's shot, he may turn out to be better than Valentine. Another do-it-all guy of around the same size but a better defender and slasher with far better athleticism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'll be better than KA for the simple reason that he can shoot. Seems his shooting is of no value in here. Vasquez with the ball but he'll have more off ball movement in his game.
    Probably a good enough comparison. Kyle may become a better shooter yet, although I don't think that he will ever be launching 3s at a high volume, too much of Diaw, too much of wanting to pass + he's a forward. Valentine is undersized for a forward. He's ideally a guard, which he can't defend.

But I am getting off this wagon bc I am not anti-Valentine. All I am saying is that he's overhyped and not worth trading into the mid 1st round for IMO. Kyle was a 30th pick and Vasquez 28.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 06-11-2016 at 10:28 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably a good enough comparison. Kyle may become a better shooter yet, although I don't think that he will ever be launching 3s at a high volume, too much of Diaw, too much of wanting to pass + he's a forward. Valentine is undersized for a forward. He's ideally a guard, which he can't defend.

But I am getting off this wagon bc I am not anti-Valentine. All I am saying is that he's overhyped and not worth trading into the mid 1st round for IMO. Kyle was a 30th pick and Vasquez 28.
    If the Spurs are moving up the draft, it's probably to select Malcolm Brogdon more than Denzel Valentine. There are mock drafts with Brogdon being picked before 29, so the Spurs may be trying to ensure that they get the guy they really want.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Word is Michigan State’s Denzel Valentine may have a fairly significant knee issue, so much so that one team sort of compared him to former Indiana Pacers All-Star Danny Granger, who came into the league with a degenerative knee condition and struggled every year to play 82 games. League sources said it’s still likely he will get drafted in the first round, but his stock looks to be a tough one to lock in with so many teams believing his knee will be a problem.
    http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nb...n-his-way-out/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Valentine still remains a first round prospect but he has fallen to the 20s due to the knee injury.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy just received his green room invitation. Perhaps the league is still bullish about his stock.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy just received his green room invitation. Perhaps the league is still bullish about his stock.
    I have read he's hard to predict bc he was expected as a lottery pick but he's now too risky for lottery teams. He could go like Kevon Looney last season who was picked 30 by GSW bc of his hip injury concern. And with reason. He had 2 hip surgeries last season and barely played at all even in the dleague. He will miss summer league entirely too bc he's rehabbing from his second surgery. Had been projected as a lottery talent too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs tried to float knee concerns about Nicholas Batum back in the day to try to get him to drop. Just saying.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SB Nation: NBA mock draft 2016: Ben Simmons is No. 1, Brandon Ingram is No. 2. Then what?
    By Kevin O'Connor  kevinOConnorNBA on Jun 22, 2016, 12:23p

29. San Antonio Spurs - Denzel Valentine, SG, Michigan State

Valentine was ranked sixth on my board prior to the report he has knees at risk of injury similar to Brandon Roy or Danny Granger. That's possibly bad news for Valentine, but it could turn out to be a blessing in disguise if he's lucky enough to land on the Spurs. There really isn't a better fit for him in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes: 2016 NBA Mock Draft 3.0: Final Updated Draft Predictions Before The Big Night
    Michael Schottey Jun 22, 2016 @ 12:25 PM

29. San Antonio Spurs—Denzel Valentine (G Michigan State)

Long-term injury concerns are dropping Valentine down a lot of boards, but he’s the kind of player most coaches love to have around. Even if he’s a bench player, he’s going to come in and run the team, run the offense and defense and grab a handful of points and rebounds in the process.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs tried to float knee concerns about Nicholas Batum back in the day to try to get him to drop. Just saying.
    This is apparently not a rumor. He does have an injury history. The report is that the condition is degenerative like Danny Granger's. It's come out from several teams. With all that he's probably not dropping so low to fall to us anyways, but one never knows. He's just probably not going to go to the higher lottery teams which just can't afford that kind of risk.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is apparently not a rumor. He does have an injury history. The report is that the condition is degenerative like Danny Granger's. It's come out from several teams. With all that he's probably not dropping so low to fall to us anyways, but one never knows. He's just probably not going to go to the higher lottery teams which just can't afford that kind of risk.
    Even if Valentine is available, I hope the Spurs target Bembry or Brogdon instead. Those two are not defensive sieves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if Valentine is available, I hope the Spurs target Bembry or Brogdon instead. Those two are not defensive sieves.
    I agree with you he's not my favorite.

Thread Information