Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.expressnews.com/sports/sp...e-10921285.php

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. —

With 2:03 to play in the Spurs’ Jan. 31 victory over Oklahoma City, coach Gregg

Popovich dispatched rookie point guard Dejounte Murray into the game for mop-up
    duty.

The Spurs were ahead by 17 points.

Forty-eight seconds later, Murray broke off a play to attack the basket on his own, missing a 5-foot runner. Twenty-six seconds after that, Popovich used a 20-second timeout to yank Murray from the game.

Total clock time for Murray’s night’s work: 1:41.

“Young players have to learn that team goals are more important,” Popovich said. “Whatever you do individually, you have to lead toward that. Sometimes lessons have to be given in that sense.”

It wasn’t the first time this season Popovich gave Murray a quick hook.

In a way, Murray hopes it isn’t the last.

“If he didn’t want to coach me and just threw me out there, it would say something to me that he’s not trying to teach me,” said Murray, a 20-year-old out of the University of Washington. “I think it’s real important for him to be able to coach me.”

The Spurs remain as high on Murray as they were in June, when they drafted him No. 29 overall. Having seen him up close for half a season, their expectations for him might even be higher.

At 6-foot-5, Murray has the potential to give the Spurs length and athleticism they have seldom had at the point guard position.

It’s for precisely that reason Popovich continues to hit Murray with tough love.

“He’s intelligent,” Popovich said. “He understands when he comes out, why he came out. He doesn’t pout or hold a grudge or act like he’s above it all.”

It has been something of a wild couple weeks for Murray.

With Tony Parker missing four games in late January with a foot injury, Murray was elevated to the starting lineup.

He poured in a season-high 24 points in a victory over Denver. Two days later he started a nationally televised game at Cleveland, on the road against the defending champion, and held his own against LeBron James and Co.

“He showed us he wasn’t afraid of the moment,” forward LaMarcus Aldridge said. “He took shots, made shots, played confident. He showed how good he can be.”

When Parker returned Feb. 27, Murray resumed his role as the No. 3 point guard behind Patty Mills.

He has since been relegated to occasional garbage-time minutes. In two of the past five games, Murray didn’t play at all, including Wednesday’s eight-point win in Philadelphia.

Murray will likely be back on the end of the bench Friday, when the Spurs play at Detroit.

Whatever happens, Murray aims to use each moment, good or bad, as a learning tool.
    “That’s the mindset every day,” Murray said. “Just learn and get better.”

Parker knows the lengths to which Popovich will go in order to coax greatness out of a young point guard.

He saw it firsthand as a teenage rookie out of France in 2001-02.

“Pop is usually trying to make a point, and he’s trying to teach you something,” Parker said. “Sometimes it’s hard and you just have to swallow your pride and know Pop means well, and he wants to win. As long as you know that, it’s nothing against you personally.”

Parker’s situation as a rookie was different than Murray’s is now. Popovich installed Parker as the point guard five games into his first season.

Beyond making sure Parker knew the offense, Popovich also needed to test his toughness.

Murray has time to wait and watch, to marinate and grow. Popovich has the luxury of going easier on Murray, even if it doesn’t always feel that way.

“Dejounte is a great kid, and he’s willing to learn,” Parker said. “But he’s going to have to go through the same stuff that I went through. All of the young guys go through a learning experience with Pop, because it’s not easy to play for him. He’s very demanding.”

For his part, Murray doesn’t seem to mind being coached this way. In high school at Rainier Beach in Seattle, he played for coach Mike Bethea, who Murray describes as a taskmaster.

Asked to assess Popovich as a teacher, Murray did something unexpected.

He broke into a grin.
    “He’s great, A-plus,” Murray said. “He knows what he’s doing. He’s one of the greatest. It’s up to me to take in everything he’s telling me, soak it in and run with it.”

And if sometimes Murray has to sit to soak in what it means to be an NBA point guard?

He’s good with that, too.
    [email protected]
    Twitter: @JMcDonald_SAEN

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol... everything on this article is from spurstalk.... old news

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's great to see this kid has perspective. Im sure LeBron is constantly in Murray's ear about how lucky he is to be a part of this organization but his upbringing has more to do with it. He's a true Spur who already checked his ego at the door.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's too bad he's not getting much burn lately TBH.
    But then again, when he's had time, like the article says, he'd come in and either TO the ball or take shots out of the offense, etc. That has to be corrected early and it's what he is going through.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good thing Express News won't be able to view the deceptive site

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's great to see this kid has perspective. Im sure LeBron is constantly in Murray's ear about how lucky he is to be a part of this organization but his upbringing has more to do with it. He's a true Spur who already checked his ego at the door.
    it's proof that hit or miss the Spurs consistently draft guys who get it.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's proof that hit or miss the Spurs consistently draft guys who get it.
    Wonder what happened when the team drafted Fathead tbh

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder what happened when the team drafted Fathead tbh
    FO thought he had a high IQ from the size of his head. Easy mistake tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Asked to assess Popovich as a teacher, Murray did something unexpected.

He broke into a grin.

“He’s great, A-plus,” Murray said.

“He knows what he’s doing. He’s one of the greatest. It’s up to me to take in everything he’s telling me, soak it in and run with it.”
    He's scared as . TD as a rookie would have replied otherwise. More so like this:

TD: F-minus, he's terrible.

JMcD: For realz?!?

TD: Yup, F-minus ST style.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always cringe at these type of learn-the-ropes articles.

For you old school fans watching in the 00s remember Darius Washington stating his faith in Pop wanting to teach him the game only to be cut 20 games in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Am I the only one who doesn't think this is a good thing? Murray's not supposed to analyze his coaching. He's supposed to take it in. I don't want him rationalizing what Pop's doing instead of reacting to it.

That said, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Murray or his prospects, but I think going "oh, you're trying to motivate me by making me upset" kills most of the motivation.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Am I the only one who doesn't think this is a good thing? Murray's not supposed to analyze his coaching. He's supposed to take it in. I don't want him rationalizing what Pop's doing instead of reacting to it.

That said, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Murray or his prospects, but I think going "oh, you're trying to motivate me by making me upset" kills most of the motivation.
    Yeah....to with free thinking. WTF?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It just seems like what the reporter was asking him. But I do wonder sometimes how he's reacting to his situation. He's saying the right things, at least.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's a sound bite from a 20 year old in an interview, likely repeating IMO rationalization from vets like Tony for Pops antics and sometimes insulting coaching tone. He's not going to say listen I sometimes have to tune off Pop and become used to his over the top reactions and just try to continue to get better while tolerating this old man going all Serbian so often... but we all know they have to tune him out bc seriously....

the grin as described gave it away..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a sound bite from a 20 year old in an interview, likely repeating IMO rationalization from vets like Tony for Pops antics and sometimes insulting coaching tone. He's not going to say listen I sometimes have to tune off Pop and become used to his over the top reactions and just try to continue to get better while tolerating this old man going all Serbian so often... but we all know they have to tune him out bc seriously....

Prescient

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This.
    We've all, well any of us who have worked in the corporate world know you alter what you say around either the power structure ie CEO Pop or the who-knows-who- (like watch out for Manfred, his sister is the CEOs wife) and we learn to filter what we say around Manfred and Popovich.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “Dejounte is a great kid, and he’s willing to learn,” Parker said. “But he’s going to have to go through the same stuff that I went through. All of the young guys go through a learning experience with Pop, because it’s not easy to play for him. He’s very demanding.”

Maybe it's just the way I read it, but I almost hear "He can't get my minutes now because ___ ____ ___"

I hope Dejounte goes thru some more of the same experience of starting as a rookie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Maybe it's just the way I read it, but I almost hear "He can't get my minutes now because ___ ____ ___"

I hope Dejounte goes thru some more of the same experience of starting as a rookie.
    I wish the same. He can only progress from where he's at getting a few minutes here or there. It doesn't seem like Pop will work him in this season however... I wanted to see what he could do with Ish Smith... he's playing so little right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always cringe at these type of learn-the-ropes articles.

For you old school fans watching in the 00s remember Darius Washington stating his faith in Pop wanting to teach him the game only to be cut 20 games in.
    That's someone I forgot existed until this very moment.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thee old Pop is very demanding BS line perpetuated.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray wasn't getting "Pop's tough love" until after Parker made a comment about how soft Pop has gotten. Coincidence?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray wasn't getting "Pop's tough love" until after Parker made a comment about how soft Pop has gotten. Coincidence?
    They're still leaving Danny open

-Parker

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thee old Pop is very demanding BS line perpetuated.
    Especially since new planets have been discovered. Why does he care about being demanding. It's just basketball.

Thread Information