Height: 6-11
    Weight: 248 lbs
    Date of Birth: 06/30/1995
    School: Vanderbilt
    Hometown: Baton Rouge

DraftExpress #21 14 April 2016
    NBADraft.net #22 15 April 2016

Bleacher Report by Joe Pantorno 21 April 2016
    Last edited by Chinook; 04-25-2016 at 05:32 PM.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    USAToday by Derek Bodner, 2 May 2016

29 San Antonio Spurs
    Jones' disappoitning junior season could cause him to drop a bit, but he has the kind of upside and defensive potential that a team like San Antonio could mold into a future contributor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2016 NBA Mock Draft: Consensus Ver 3.0 By Basketball Insiders
    on May 25, 2016

Joel Brigham (1 of 4)
    picks Jones at 29.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fansided: 2016 NBA Mock Draft: Sixers Select Ben Simmons
    by Chris Reichert 2 hours ago [AKA 26 May 2016]

29. San Antonio Spurs
    29 DAMIAN JONES PF, Vanderbilt
    Damian Jones is the type of player the San Antonio Spurs select and every other NBA general manager simultaneously groans. He’s a legit 7-0 with a 7-4 wingspan and he already weighs a stout 245 pounds — an NBA body for days. Jones played three seasons at Vanderbilt and averaged 13.9 points, 6.9 rebounds and 1.6 blocks in just over 26 minutes a night for the Commodores. Those numbers aren’t mind boggling by any means but they’re impressive when you dive deeper.
    According to Draft Express, Jones shot a blistering 68 percent around the rim in the half court last season and 56 percent when starting his offense on the block. That’s the type of production teams like to see out of their starting center. Jones isn’t going to step out and consistently knock down 15-18 footers just yet, but he showed flashes of having that ability. He will likely improve in this area as he’s still only 20-years old.

The Spurs have a history of developing late first round picks into impact players and Jones could be the next in line for that le. Jones has great foot speed and lateral quickness which allows him to defend on the perimeter in short bursts and his body size allows him to body opposing bigs in the post as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bleacher Report: NBA Mock Draft 2016: Projections for Prospects with Most Star Potential
    By Jared Johnson , Featured Columnist May 27, 2016

29 San Antonio Spurs C Damian Jones, Vanderbilt

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fansided: NBA: 2016 Mock Draft: Simmons, Ingram, Bender still on top
    by Chris Reichert 7 hours ago [AKA 9 June 2016]

Same pick, new quote

Here come the San Antonio Spurs — stealing yet another late pick and turning them into potential greatness. That’s a real statement that could be uttered on draft night if the Spurs select Damian Jones. Jones is a 7-0 with a 7-4 wingspan and he already possesses an NBA body at 245 pounds — he certainly isn’t going to be pushed around.
    Jones played 26 minutes a night for Vanderbilt posting averages of 13.9 points, 6.9 rebounds and 1.6 blocks. Not mind boggling numbers, but impressive nonetheless. Jones is just 20-years old so he has plenty of room and time to develop in the Spurs’ organization and he’s already got some traits any team would desire. According to DraftExpress, Jones shot a ridiculous 68 percent at the rim, in the half court last season and 56 percent when his offensive move started with him on the block.

Jones also has great lateral quickness and solid foot speed, which means he can play perimeter defense in short bursts. His body size will allow him to bang down low in the paint and hold his own against the grown men he will face in The Assocation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    USA Today: NBA Mock draft: Freshmen making moves up board
    Derek Bodner, Special for USA TODAY Sports 1:49 p.m. EDT June 13, 2016

with new quote:
    Jones never quite developed as much as many hoped, but he still has a lot of potential as a shot blocker and pick and roll threat, and could develop into a solid big man for San Antonio’s rotation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Arizona Republic: NBA mock draft: Paul Coro's second edition
    Paul Coro, azcentral sports 9:18 a.m. MST June 16, 2016

[I'd give this mock a bit of a bonus since it is Suns focused and the Suns draft #28, Brice Johnson mocked.]

29. San Antonio

Damian Jones, Vanderbilt, C, 6-11, 244, 20 years old.

The Spurs just might need some frontcourt backup help if a starter who is big and fundamental retires. Jones has a mature mix of size and athleticism that has not been developed as expected. If the Spurs see something there, he could help address a frontcourt area that hurt the Spurs in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yahoo! Sports: Version IV: The Vertical's 2016 NBA mock draft

By Jonathan Givony of The Vertical
    2 hours ago [AKA 17 June 2016]

29. San Antonio Spurs
    Damian Jones | C | Vanderbilt
    Junior | 20 | 6-11, 248
    Insider info: With a decent chunk of their frontcourt rotation either entering free agency or on the back-end of its career, the Spurs could look to address the center position. Players at this draft slot come with tiny guarantees relative to the exploding salary cap and little risk, so taking a flyer on a high-upside college player like Jones could pay off. If he pans out, he’ll be producing for four years on a very valuable contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deseret News: 2016 Deseret News NBA mock draft: Who goes to the Jazz? How high does Poeltl go?
    By Deseret News Web staff and contributers
    Published: Thursday, June 16 2016 10:05 p.m. MDT

29. San Antonio Spurs
    Damian Jones, center, Vanderbilt

The San Antonio Spurs may be in need of a few good big men soon. This all depends on if Tim Duncan decides to retire and if they can re-sign David West in the offseason. Damian Jones would provide insurance or depth if Duncan and West return. Jones is a solid defensive center who can block shots and rebounds well. He does have a good jump shot, just not 3-point range. What is driving his stock down a bit is his motor; he doesn’t play aggressively all the time. Going to the Spurs and their excellent developmental staff will be a great way to start his NBA career.

— Kincade Upstill

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DraftExpress: 2016 DraftExpress NBA Extended Mock Draft
    updated on June 16, 2016

29. Damian Jones
    C (Vanderbilt - Junior)
    20.9 years old | 7'0" | 244 lbs

2015-16 NCAA (33 GP)
    13.9 PPG 6.9 RPG 1.2 APG 23.6 PER
    Damian Jones 2016 NBA Draft Scouting Video - Strengths
    Watch Video

With a decent chunk of their frontcourt rotation either entering free agency or on the back-end of its career, the Spurs could look to address the center position. Players at this draft slot come with tiny guarantees relative to the exploding salary cap and little risk, so taking a flyer on high-upside college player like Damian Jones could make a lot of sense. If he pans out, he'll be producing for four years on a very valuable contract.
    Hmm, same quote as Givony above.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DraftExpress: 2016 DraftExpress NBA Extended Mock Draft
    updated on June 16, 2016

Hmm, same quote as Givony above.
    Givony does both. DraftExpress is basically part of The Vertical now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basketball Insiders: 2016 “Outsiders” NBA Mock Draft By Basketball Insiders

1 of 4
    Jessica Camerato
    selected Jones for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FanSided: Clipperholics: NBA 2016 Mock Draft: Final lottery picks, Clippers’ top target
    by Tom West 20 minutes ago [aka 21 June 2016]

Damian Jones

C, Vanderbilt to Spurs

Tim Duncan may finally be ready to retire, David West is entering free agency, and there’s only so much the legend that is Boban Marjanovic can do by himself, no matter how much we love him.

Some frontcourt depth from the 2016 NBA Draft could really help the Spurs, and Damian Jones has the upside to be worth their time if they work their typical magic on him, leading to him becoming another valuable contributor.

Weighing in at 6’11” with a 7’4″ wingspan, lean 244 lbs frame and 37-inch vertical, Jones’ physical appeal is clear. He averaged 21.1 points per 40 minutes on 59 percent shooting last season, and while he needs to work to add more depth to his scoring skill set, he finishes strong at the rim, rolls well to the basket, and cleans up the offensive glass.

Jones used that physicality on defense, too, adding 2.5 blocks and hauling in 10.5 rebounds per 40 minutes. As long as the Spurs are willing to build off his athletic gifts and raw skill set, he has role player potential for them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chicago Sun Time: NBA mock draft 2016: Bulls change focus from guard to big man
    Joe Cowley
    06/22/2016, 11:15am

29. Spurs

Damian Jones, C, Vanderbilt — The OKC series showed the Spurs that they need to be bigger and tougher in the paint.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Arizona Republic: NBA mock draft 2016: Paul Coro's final edition
    Paul Coro
    6:08 p.m. MST June 22, 2016

The last two sentences were added to Coro's previous quote.
    29. San Antonio

Damian Jones, Vanderbilt, C, 6-11, 244, 20 years old

The Spurs just might need some frontcourt backup help if a starter who is big and fundamental retires. Jones has a mature mix of size and athleticism that has not been developed as expected. If the Spurs see something there, he could help address an area that hurt the Spurs in the playoffs. A three-and-D player like Baylor's Taurean Prince seems like he should have a home in this first round too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SB Nation: The Slipper Still Fits: 2016 NBA Mock Draft
    By Keith Ybanez  @slipperyky on Jun 22, 2016, 5:19p

29. San Antonio Spurs - Damian Jones (C Vanderbilt)

Jones is a raw product, but the Spurs have an excellent coaching staff that could mold him into a serviceable NBA player. He’s got great size and is a decent athlete, but he doesn’t seem to be a natural basketball player. He was very inconsistent throughout his college career, and didn’t make as much of a jump in his development as expected during his junior season. However, it’s hard to pass up the physical tools that Jones possesses.

Thread Information