In a video interview with SI Films that will be published in full on Tuesday, Russell says he would even be a water boy to get a shot.

“You might see me back. You never know. Whatever it is — I can be a water boy and work my way into a scout team. It doesn’t matter; I could play for free.”

The teaser clip promoted by SI on Monday indicates Russell wrote all NFL teams last year in hopes of getting a tryout without compensation. AL.com says Russell even offered to Jerry Jones to run the Cowboys’ scout team for free just to gain experience in the team’s system.
    Russell last took a snap in an NFL game in 2009 after being the first overall pick by the Raiders in 2007. He supposedly is not in football shape but has not let himself go. As of late 2013, he supposedly was looking like an offensive lineman.
    Now 30 years old, Russell’s NFL chances of playing in the NFL are long behind him. The last talk of Russell in the NFL came three years ago when the Bears were planning to give him a tryout that never materialized.
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/...cid=spartanntp

"He supposedly is not in football shape but has not let himself go."

I would think NFL teams would be much more likely to give him at least a glance of attention if he got in NFL shape 1st.

There is some precedence for QBs who came back at 30+
    Jim Plunket.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Classic example of a guy who had no idea how to deal with instant $$$$$$$$. He totally fell apart once he became a multi millionaire.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    Post Count
    If what you want is a shot, and you're willing to do anything for it, you probably ought to get into top condition.

Thread Information