Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    If a mob of conservatives attempted to shut down a major Hillary Clinton event, as rioters did the other day during a Donald Trump event, America would be thrust into an insufferable national dialogue about the growing violent tendencies of the Right to crush debate. There would be a flood of anxious op-ed pieces and cable news roundtables featuring chin-stroking pundits contemplating the future of discourse in America. No one would be spared.
    And you better believe every conservative politician in the country would be asked to comment on this bloodcurdling development.

Do you, sir, feel that your own rhetoric about immigration and guns has somehow contributed to this ugly trend we’re seeing?

Does the GOP need to soften its tone on abortion to stop this kind of violence from happening in the future?

You might remember that, during the 2009-2010 Obamacare debates, every false and exaggerated claim about Tea Party violence induced a thousand wringing hands to grapple over the fascistic tendencies and ugly underbelly of conservatism. You might remember the Democratic leadership in Congress decrying “acts of violence” against House members in concerted effort to create the perception that bloodshed was imminent. You will no doubt remember the fake bravery of Nancy Pelosi and friends carrying a gavel across big crowds of wholly peaceful people protesting leftist health care policy as if they were facing down Orval Faubus.

The media was happy to portray the peaceful Tea Party as a movement surrep iously driven by racism without a shred of proof outside its opposition to Barack Obama. You will remember Paul Krugman blaming peaceful assembly and free speech for an insane person’s “assassination” attempt against Kathleen Gifford, and Ezra Klein lamenting how scary things get when conservatives oppose liberal doctrine. Every shooting in America necessitates a thorough investigation into political proclivities of the perpetrator. Is he angry at the president? Did he ever register as a Republican? Is he fond of the Confederate flag? But only when the facts mesh with the helpful narrative do we hear about it.
    When a single incoherent nutjob shoots up a Planned Parenthood, the National Rifle Association and every pro-life organization—nay, every pro-lifer in the country—is called to do some soul-searching about their positions. All of it an attempt to chill speech.

But I don’t remember any riots during the heyday of the Tea Party. I do remember citizens making their case known in town hall meetings, often loudly. (When the Left is yelling, it’s activism. When the Right yells, we all are forced to ask ourselves, “What ever happened to civility?”) This week, the media informs us that “protesters took to the streets” at a Donald Trump campaign event in California.

From the AP report:
    One Trump supporter had his face bloodied in a scuffle as he tried to drive out of the arena. One man jumped on a police car, leaving its front and rear windows smashed and the top dented and other protesters sprayed graffiti on a police car and the Pacific Amphitheatre’s marquee.
    Dozens of cars — including those of Trump supporters trying to leave — were stuck in the street as several hundred demonstrators blocked the road, waved Mexican flags and posed for selfies. Some protesters badgered Trump’s fans as they walked to their cars in the parking lot.
    This is called a riot. And it isn’t the first time. In Chicago, anti-Trump protestors acted similarly violently in an effort to shut down another speech—making them no better than ugly Trump fans who threaten protestors and the media. It makes them no better than the bikers, truckers, and other pro-Trump groups who are going to descend on Cleveland to physically intimidate Republicans during the convention.

Of course people are angry about Donald Trump. Of course people are livid about “globalization.” Of course people are infuriated about all the money in politics. Trump’s rhetoric doesn’t excuse the liberal attacks on speech we saw in California and Chicago, or the illiberal “protests” we’ve seen on college campuses for decades now. A protest is a statement or action expressing disapproval of or objection to something. What campus lefties engage in are efforts to stop free expression. For that matter, it’s doesn’t excuse the Democratic Party’s constant assaults on the First Amendment. The Left has a free speech problem.

When are we going to treat ourselves to a national conversation about the Left’s propensity to undermine free speech? Why aren’t we talking about leftist violence? We treat these events as isolated incidents that have nothing to do with the politics of the contemporary liberalism. We afford no other political movement the same leeway.

http://thefederalist.com/2016/05/02/...tist-violence/

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    BURLINGAME, Calif. (AP) — Hundreds of rowdy protesters broke through barricades and threw eggs at police Friday outside a hotel where Donald Trump addressed the state’s Republican convention. Several Trump supporters said they were roughed up but no serious injuries were reported.

The protest just outside San Francisco occurred a day after anti-Trump protesters took to the streets in Southern California, blocking traffic and damaging five police cars in Costa Mesa following a speech by the leader in the race for the Republican presidential nomination.

A man wearing a red hat bearing the Trump campaign slogan “Make America Great Again” was punched in the head from behind while being jostled by a group of shouting protesters. Another Trump supporter said he was punched and spit upon by demonstrators who also threw his phone to the ground.
    “It went gangbusters. They attacked me,” said Chris Conway, a mortgage broker from San Mateo.

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-w...-southern-cal/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    .. because they aren't KKK racist gun fellators shooting up black churches?

federalist? Those rightwing extremists say Scalia was a fantastic jurist.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    .. because they aren't KKK racist gun fellators shooting up black churches?

federalist? Those rightwing extremists say Scalia was a fantastic jurist.
    Are you okay shutting down free speech with violence yes or no?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL leftist "violence"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The media was happy to portray the peaceful Tea Party as a movement surrep iously driven by racism
    pfft.

I saw that racism rather first hand at a Tea Party rally in Louisiana.

Didn't need any "media" to tell me about a bunch of white people whining over "welfare queens" and "fried chicken" to see that for my damn self.

"we're not racist but..."

GMAFB

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    LOL leftist "violence"
    What else would you call it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

A man wearing a red hat bearing the Trump campaign slogan “Make America Great Again” was punched in the head from behind while being jostled by a group of shouting protesters. Another Trump supporter said he was punched and spit upon by demonstrators who also threw his phone to the ground.
    “It went gangbusters. They attacked me,” said Chris Conway, a mortgage broker from San Mateo.

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-w...-southern-cal/
    Dude shouldn't have been attacked. Easy peasy.

What the OP probably won't address is what responsibility that the demagogue Trump has in creating the less than civil tone that makes such things happen.

Sure the leftist idiots got worked up, but why did that happen? Was it just 'cause? This didn't happen at any other Republican candidate's rally.

Meh. I see a whole lot of ed "wah lookit what happened" here, but none of the kind of balanced introspection and honest self-reflection that would make for an intellectually honest discussion.

Par for the course in right wing propaganda.

"We're the victims here... look at how bad the left is... boo hoo..."

Again, GMAFB, until you can point to what is provoking this behavior in the first place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What else would you call it?
    Violence. Unruly crowd does something stupid.

As opposed to what normally qualifies for right wing violence.

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/02/12/r...ts-422743.html

The OP is just another case to draw some moral equivalency between the types of things the political spectrum's are prone to as if they are equivalent.

They aren't.

Not by a long shot.

The right-wing in this country has lost their flipping mind, and all the kerfuffles at a Trump rally won't change that.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Dude shouldn't have been attacked. Easy peasy.

What the OP probably won't address is what responsibility that the demagogue Trump has in creating the less than civil tone that makes such things happen.

Sure the leftist idiots got worked up, but why did that happen? Was it just 'cause? This didn't happen at any other Republican candidate's rally.

Meh. I see a whole lot of ed "wah lookit what happened" here, but none of the kind of balanced introspection and honest self-reflection that would make for an intellectually honest discussion.

Par for the course in right wing propaganda.

"We're the victims here... look at how bad the left is... boo hoo..."

Again, GMAFB, until you can point to what is provoking this behavior in the first place.
    To OP's point..why the lack of media attention? The punch thrown by a Trump supporter was played on repeat for a week.

United Autodidact Society Shastafarian's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering OP thinks child molestation is ok as long as you're a republican, I don't think a conversation on something called "leftist violence" is warranted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering OP thinks child molestation is ok as long as you're a republican, I don't think a conversation on something called "leftist violence" is warranted.
    im sure there's a fallacy here somewhere

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To OP's point..why the lack of media attention? The punch thrown by a Trump supporter was played on repeat for a week.
    Trump, running for President as an autocracy, ENCOURAGED his suckered, conned supporters to violence, and he got it.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Trump, running for President as an autocracy, ENCOURAGED his suckered, conned supporters to violence, and he got it.
    Are you okay shutting down free speech with violence yes or no?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't blame this all on Trump - like that's any excuse for infringing on people's freedom of speech. There are other instances (which he has nothing to do with) that college students are interfering with free speech - blocking entrances, pulling fire alarm, pushing, shoving and verbally assaulting police and other students, staging a sit-in at president's office for allowing the lecture to happen.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/christi...alarm-n2124815

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 1st Amendment protects citizens from government infringement, not from other citizens.

For criminal and disorderly conduct we have the police.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Donald Trump encourages his supporters to assault protesters at his events and dip wants to complain about the leftist violence.

It's like cheering on the Pinkertons.

Pointing to the rabble is fun but while Trump is saying he will cover people's legal fees for assault, the dem leadership has been using it as the bully pulpit to attack Trump. That is where Hillary and her unity message played off of.

Nevermind the Bundys and their armed insurrections. Nevermind the constant violence towards abortion clinics. Nevermind the OKC bombing. Nevermind the KKK.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TSA sez go punch a hippie.

Maybe he pines for police riots like Kent State and Chicago 1968.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would anyone protest a misogynist, race-baiting nativist who encourages violence against others exercising free speech at his events?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    leftist meanies ruin everything.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TSA's sicko gun fellating, racist, xenophobic, LGBTQ hatin' fellow-travellers.

Right-Wing Terrorists Are Killing More Americans Than Jihadists Are

http://thinkprogress.org/world/2015/...ic-terrorists/

The Growing Right-Wing Terror Threat

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/op...or-threat.html

Homegrown Extremists F
    ar Right Wing Attacks

Total number of people killed:48

... TSA freaks out about, ridiculous lefty political dissent and/or violence, which is promoted, congratulated by which non-Repug presidential wannabe?

by which leading Dems?

Last edited by boutons_deux; 05-03-2016 at 11:44 AM.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Why would anyone protest a misogynist, race-baiting nativist who encourages violence against others exercising free speech at his events?
    I've got no problem with either side protesting. Are you okay shutting down free speech with violence yes or no? And why the lack of media attention when the left's protests become violent as they have numerous times now?

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And why the lack of media attention when the left's protests become violent as they have numerous times now?
    That's easy. Because neither of the Left's Presidential candidates are encouraging that violence.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    That's easy. Because neither of the Left's Presidential candidates are encouraging that violence.
    Are they condoning it?

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    I've searched and haven't found anything from Sanders or Clinton speaking out against the violence from their supporters. Staying silent does not look good.

Thread Information