Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs never got ed. They could have called a timeout, but didn't, because they had an advantage they wanted to exploit and did. But Patty choked.
    Yes but if called correctly that opportunity never arises and we give the ball to Aldridge and win the game... Not sure what you dont understand about this...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ginobili's flopping reputation may have contributed to the no-call.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Pop could have called the timeout. But he didn't because the Spurs were in a way better position to score without OKC having setup their defense. You only want the timeout because you can condition on knowledge the Spurs already blew the game without it.
    I think it was such a frantic play, people lost track. I don't think it was a strategic decision but a reactionary one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unfortunately we lost all the moral highground we had in this case. Check out Kawhi grabbing Westbrook's jersey (it happens at the exact same time Waiters elbows Manu) Yes, that is a "sneaky, veteran" move that players do all the time, so I'm not criticizing Kawhi or anything, but the NBA will look at the play and state that the two fouls basically offset each other.

And begrudgingly, I accept it as the right call. Kawhi did foul Westbrook. Waiters fouled Manu. Play on.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a pretty chicken move from whatever fan that was if that's what really happened.
    I wouldve done the same.... Thats not a chicken move, thats homecourt advantage

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes but if called correctly that opportunity never arises and we give the ball to Aldridge and win the game... Not sure what you dont understand about this...
    Mostly the part about automatically winning the game. But also the part about why there was no timeout called if this was so much better an option with ten seconds left in the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA rule 10:

Section IV-Thrower-in
    a. A thrower-in shall not (1) carry the ball onto the court; (2) fail to release the ball within 5 seconds; (3) touch it on the court before it has touched another player; (4) leave the designated throw-in spot; (5) throw the ball so that it enters the basket before touching anyone on the court; (6) step over the boundary line while inbounding the ball; (7) cause the ball to go out-of-bounds without being touched inbounds; (8) leave the playing surface to gain an advantage on a throw-in; (9) hand the ball to a player on the court.
    EXCEPTION: After a field goal or free throw as a result of a personal foul, the thrower-in may run the end line or pass to a teammate behind the end line.
    b. Once an official recognizes the designated player to throw the ball in, there shall be no change of the thrower-in unless the offensive team makes a subs ution, there is a regular or 20-second timeout or a suspension of play.
    PENALTY: Loss of ball. The ball is awarded to the opposing team at the original spot of the throw-in.
    I put this in the game thread, but... the difference was, this was a contact foul. Unless they have changed it recently, a dead ball foul on an inbounds play is supposed to be a technical FT plus possession. And they made that rule so that you can't foul a guy before the ball is inbounded, so that you can keep any time from running off the clock. Also, if you could foul like that, you could always pick their worst foul shooter, and make sure he was the one you sent to the line.

This seems ass-backwards, because it was the inbounding team, but the rule (I'm pretty sure) still applies. Dead ball foul on an inbounds is shot plus possession.

As for the timeout? It should have been automatic. You should know that if you don't steal the inbounds, you foul immediately. But if you do steal it, you call an immediate timeout, so you can put in a set play. As long as you have a couple of seconds left, you've got time to get a good shot off a set play. Danny shouldn't have been trying to decide how to run a break - he should have known to call an immediate timeout.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldve done the same.... Thats not a chicken move, thats homecourt advantage
    Fans have no business getting involved in the play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it was such a frantic play, people lost track. I don't think it was a strategic decision but a reactionary one.

Yep. And that's why you make the decision before the ball gets thrown in. So you don't have those frantic decisions on the court.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unfortunately we lost all the moral highground we had in this case. Check out Kawhi grabbing Westbrook's jersey (it happens at the exact same time Waiters elbows Manu) Yes, that is a "sneaky, veteran" move that players do all the time, so I'm not criticizing Kawhi or anything, but the NBA will look at the play and state that the two fouls basically offset each other.

And begrudgingly, I accept it as the right call. Kawhi did foul Westbrook. Waiters fouled Manu. Play on.

LMA rebounding Mills' layup....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And then Ibaka CLEARLY fouled LMA on the rebound. ESPN zoomed in on it in slo-mo. Crazy finish.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As for the timeout? It should have been automatic. You should know that if you don't steal the inbounds, you foul immediately. But if you do steal it, you call an immediate timeout, so you can put in a set play. As long as you have a couple of seconds left, you've got time to get a good shot off a set play. Danny shouldn't have been trying to decide how to run a break - he should have known to call an immediate timeout.
    Pop can call the timeout too. He figured it was better to not go against a set defense and I agree. The Spurs got a great look out of it because OKC's defense was in such a state of chaos. It's easy to second guess when you can condition on an outcome that has already happened, but that was an easy shot the Spurs should have converted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu probably should have tried a floater instead of a crazy pass out to Mills at the end also.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count

LMA rebounding Mills' layup....
    That was a funny looking looking layup from 23ft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't buy that Pop lost track, he could have called timeout. It wasn't like there a second and a half left on the clock when the Spurs got the ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So many things but Green's total lack of composure not passing it to Manu for a wide open basket is the one I'm still not over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop can call the timeout too. He figured it was better to not go against a set defense and I agree. The Spurs got a great look out of it because OKC's defense was in such a state of chaos. It's easy to second guess when you can condition on an outcome that has already happened, but that was an easy shot the Spurs should have converted.
    Yeah, i'm not even mad at the no-call from a Spursfan perspective. Mills got a good look and wasn't close.

I'm just mad that a blatantly obvious call was missed on huge possession of a playoff game. Not even the usual, there should have been a foul BS that they won't call. Marc Davis was 2 feet away and had the best seat in the house for Waiters throwing an elbow at Manu's chest

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I put this in the game thread, but... the difference was, this was a contact foul. Unless they have changed it recently, a dead ball foul on an inbounds play is supposed to be a technical FT plus possession. And they made that rule so that you can't foul a guy before the ball is inbounded, so that you can keep any time from running off the clock. Also, if you could foul like that, you could always pick their worst foul shooter, and make sure he was the one you sent to the line.

This seems ass-backwards, because it was the inbounding team, but the rule (I'm pretty sure) still applies. Dead ball foul on an inbounds is shot plus possession.

My quote / bolding was just about the question regarding whether or not Waiters jumping to pass should have been called a travel.

Agree with you completely the elbow should have been called. My understanding is it should have been called a charge like Webber was arguing. While the letter of the rule says a technical could be called if the ref deems it was excessive contact, there's no way an NBA ref in the playoffs is going to call the T. Best outcome for the call by Davis would have been the charge that Webber was calling for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I can't argue with any of that. And second guessing a split-second decision from the living room is dumb.

General clock management? I think you should know what you're going to do if you steal the inbound pass. I would have thought that was a timeout, since they had one. Maybe they left it open because there were 13 seconds left.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Dear Poland:

I am very sorry we invaded. It was not the correct call.

Yours,

Adolf "

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    So many things but Green's total lack of composure not passing it to Manu for a wide open basket is the one I'm still not over.
    Danny Asshole got the steal and had Mills wide open for a layup. Instead he throws a lob pass over Adams that nearly sailed out of bounds. Patty had no choice but to pass it out. If Danny throws a simple bounce pass with a little zip, it's a layup, not some half-baked three attempt that everybody on the continent knew wasn't going in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy gets it. It buffles me that so many people don't trully understand the game and don't realize that this was the biggest up of the whole sequence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ginobili's flopping reputation may have contributed to the no-call.
    So Wade still gets calls no matter what GTFO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny Asshole got the steal and had Mills wide open for a layup. Instead he throws a lob pass over Adams that nearly sailed out of bounds. Patty had no choice but to pass it out. If Danny throws a simple bounce pass with a little zip, it's a layup.
    Or better yet, pass it to Manu in a much simpler pass. Would have got the score anyways.

Thread Information