Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny Asshole got the steal and had Mills wide open for a layup. Instead he throws a lob pass over Adams that nearly sailed out of bounds. Patty had no choice but to pass it out. If Danny throws a simple bounce pass with a little zip, it's a layup.
    If Danny Green had guard skills on the offensive end he'd be a near max player. He did his job getting that steal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mostly the part about automatically winning the game. But also the part about why there was no timeout called if this was so much better an option with ten seconds left in the game.
    Lol, we didnt call a timeout because we thought it would be advantageous in the chaos, it wasnt, we shouldve had the ball out on the side, pretty cut and dry here...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny Asshole got the steal and had Mills wide open for a layup. Instead he throws a lob pass over Adams that nearly sailed out of bounds. Patty had no choice but to pass it out. If Danny throws a simple bounce pass with a little zip, it's a layup.
    There's a reason his contract was $40 million instead of $80 million.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Danny Green had guard skills on the offensive end he'd be a near max player. He did his job getting that steal.
    There's a reason his contract was $40 million instead of $80 million.
    These. Danny is who he is. And the lob was the safe play with Adams there and so much time left on the clock. The guys who really messed up were Manu and Patty, tbh.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy gets it. It buffles me that so many people don't trully understand the game and don't realize that this was the biggest up of the whole sequence.
    Come on, we all know Danny putting the ball on the floor is going to end up with the worst possible outcome just about every time we do it.

As soon as he started dribbling I knew that was going to end poorly. Wish he would have tossed it to Manu as soon as he got it...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My quote / bolding was just about the question regarding whether or not Waiters jumping to pass should have been called a travel.

Agree with you completely the elbow should have been called. My understanding is it should have been called a charge like Webber was arguing. While the letter of the rule says a technical could be called if the ref deems it was excessive contact, there's no way an NBA ref in the playoffs is going to call the T. Best outcome for the call by Davis would have been the charge that Webber was calling for.

I'm not just being argumentative - there's a really specific explanation in my mind.

Maybe 10-12 years ago, the Spurs were in a close game with Dallas, with not much time left, and the Mavs were trying to inbound. Dallas ran this weird-ass play, where a guy ran out of bounds under the basket - then he ran back onto the floor, right into the Spur who was defending the inbound pass. He made contact with the Spur player while he was still out of bounds. It was an illegal play, but the Mavs got by with it.

Later, the league clarified and said that it should have been a technical FT, plus possession for the Spurs - because it was a dead ball foul on an inbounds play. They went on to explain the reasons I just gave as why it is a tech plus possession. I just looked, and can't find the rule. Maybe it's changed, or maybe it's one of those things that is in the interpretation handbook for referees. But I remember it distinctly.

The game's over, so it's just a curiosity thing anyway. But if you allowed a foul on a dead ball like that, it opens a bunch of possibilities they don't want. But, okay, maybe it changed. That was quite a while back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

LMA rebounding Mills' layup....
    nice find.

Now we got dat highground. Too bad it won't give us a W

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Manu had a WIDE open floater FTW instead went to Mills.
    Good to great (Manu always makes that over the shoulder pass to the corner shooter, that's his thing)

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    He doesn't need guard skills, he just needs to be competent. Kudos for the steal though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come on, we all know Danny putting the ball on the floor is going to end up with the worst possible outcome just about every time we do it.

As soon as he started dribbling I knew that was going to end poorly. Wish he would have tossed it to Manu as soon as he got it...
    That's exactly what I'm saying. Pass it to Manu, instead of Mills, right away. There was no need for Green to put the ball on the floor.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Danny would have run to the corner instead of Patty, we probably aren't talking about this at all

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    What the was Ginobili thinking? Three from an ice cold Mills with like 8 seconds left and only down one? the no-call, your boy blew the game tonight Nono.
    He's ALWAYS going to trust his teammates

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

BTW - I don't remember seeing you around lately. You always brought solid takes. Even when I disagreed with you, I listened, because I knew you know your . The place is better with you posting than without.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These. Danny is who he is. And the lob was the safe play with Adams there and so much time left on the clock. The guys who really messed up were Manu and Patty, tbh.
    The safer and more effective pass was the simple two handed chest pass to Manu. Not the lob to Patty over the 7 footer. Seriously folks, how bad can you see this sport?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's ALWAYS going to trust his teammates
    It was a great look in retrospect. But , I want Manu taking those kind of shots to decide games.

Get Paycheck, Get Drunk HankChinaski's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty had a good look it didn't drop. Green, Patty, Manu, Leonard. Any of those guys have a open look at basket to close out the game I will gladly take it regardless of the outcome. Don't get a better shot than that with a high percentage chance of it dropping for them. Those guys trust each other, it is how the spurs system works. Otherwise you look like the Rockets or the Thunder.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The safer and more effective pass was the simple two handed chest pass to Manu. Not the lob to Patty over the 7 footer. Seriously folks, how bad can you see this sport?
    I see this sport fine. Danny in his postgame interview said he didn't see Manu who was slightly behind him. Yes, it would be nice if Danny had the awareness to look for him, but as he didn't, a pass to Patty was what he went with. The biggest criticism of Danny (who made the steal and therefore is the one that even gave us the opportunity to win) was that he didn't know the time on the clock (which he also admitted in his post game interview).

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Mills should've pumped and taken the foul. Adams was not gonna be able to stop.
    If it was Fisher he would have shot his rainbow over Adams outstretched arms & swished it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're still alive? Quit stealing oxygen you worthless sucker.

Kill yourself
    Delusional Spurfan just can't handle any truths..

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Wonder if Pop will send tapes to the league like that 0.4 situation

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    It was a great look in retrospect. But , I want Manu taking those kind of shots to decide games.
    There would have been 5 seconds left on the clock & ST would have grilled him for leaving too much time on the clock even if he made it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see this sport fine. Danny in his postgame interview said he didn't see Manu who was slightly behind him. Yes, it would be nice if Danny had the awareness to look for him, but as he didn't, a pass to Patty was what he went with. The biggest criticism of Danny (who made the steal and therefore is the one that even gave us the opportunity to win) was that he didn't know the time on the clock (which he also admitted in his post game interview).
    No, if he trully didn't see Manu then the biggest criticism should be not seeing Ginobili there. You are a professional basketball player, you should be able to have some kind of periferic vision. I would have made the pass to Ginobili had I been there. Not (only) 'cause it was the most effective pass but because it was also the easiest one.

So if Manu or Patty get crap from you for the decision they made on that play why doesn't Green get crap too? Green said he didn't see Manu. Well, Manu said that he knew he wasn't going to be able to get a good shot off over Adams. Manu's explination seems a lot more logical than Dannys, tbh. The best and easiest position of the whole sequence was Danny's 3 on 1 break. A simple two handed chest pass to Manu would have been enough to win us the game. A pass that you and I could have made, but he butchered it. He made by far the biggest up of the whole sequence, I don't know how this could even be debatable.

P/S: the steal doesn't happen without the inbound pressure Manu provided.
    Last edited by DAF86; 05-03-2016 at 02:14 AM.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    nice find.

Now we got dat highground. Too bad it won't give us a W
    I expect a LOT of calls to go the Spurs way in Gm 3 or non-calls for WestBrick/Servant.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    There would have been 5 seconds left on the clock & ST would have grilled him for leaving too much time on the clock even if he made it.
    If he misses the shot and the Spurs don't get the rebound, you foul and call a timeout to set up a game tying/winning shot.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA rule 10:

Section IV-Thrower-in
    a. A thrower-in shall not (1) carry the ball onto the court; (2) fail to release the ball within 5 seconds; (3) touch it on the court before it has touched another player; (4) leave the designated throw-in spot; (5) throw the ball so that it enters the basket before touching anyone on the court; (6) step over the boundary line while inbounding the ball; (7) cause the ball to go out-of-bounds without being touched inbounds; (8) leave the playing surface to gain an advantage on a throw-in; (9) hand the ball to a player on the court.
    EXCEPTION: After a field goal or free throw as a result of a personal foul, the thrower-in may run the end line or pass to a teammate behind the end line.
    b. Once an official recognizes the designated player to throw the ball in, there shall be no change of the thrower-in unless the offensive team makes a subs ution, there is a regular or 20-second timeout or a suspension of play.
    PENALTY: Loss of ball. The ball is awarded to the opposing team at the original spot of the throw-in.
    Well done; so, it was a doubly sh***y call. Sidebar: I wonder if that's an NBA rule or universal basketball rule. The way it was pretty much explained to me as a kid is that it was based on regular traveling rules.

Thread Information