Page 226 of 293 FirstFirst ... 126176216222223224225226227228229230236276 ... LastLast
Results 5,626 to 5,650 of 7307
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don't see Forbes being signed outside of Austin Toros or along those lines. Too many rookies and not sure Forbes has shown enough in Vegas, but who knows. It also depends on who else is still out there in Free Agency that the Spurs might want. PG and PF/C are still areas they may want to address (i.e. Felton, Robinson, etc....)
    Personally I think one of Forbes and Arci will be signed to the big club, whether that's a guaranteed contract out of training camp or at some point in the season. Both are good enough to be NBA-caliber role players from what I've seen so far. Hope they don't get picked up by another team of the Spurs don't guarantee their deals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, I can imagine Bonner outlasting Tim. It's very credible.
    There are a lot less mileage on Matt's knees.
    Knees yes. Ass no.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No more Bonner, please! We need a big who can help us to rebound!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally I think one of Forbes and Arci will be signed to the big club, whether that's a guaranteed contract out of training camp or at some point in the season. Both are good enough to be NBA-caliber role players from what I've seen so far. Hope they don't get picked up by another team of the Spurs don't guarantee their deals.
    To be clear, team's don't sign players "out of training camp" the 20 guys they bring into camp are under deals that last at least through the season. So there is literally no chance of a player tearing it up in camp and getting poached by another team with a bigger offer. The closest anyone has come to that was Novak a few years ago where the Spurs agreed to cut him because the Knicks told him they'd give him a guaranteed offer.

The talk is that both Forbes and Arcidiacono are going to be signed to deals as soon as the cap moves are done. So we'll be able to see them compete in camp with no concern about other teams.

And I'm not trying to attack you by bringing it up. It's just a misconception some people have. Isaiah Thomas also talking about giving a player a contract out of camp yesterday. It's scary that the dude spent years as an NBA executive and didn't know that it doesn't work that way.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be clear, team's don't sign players "out of training camp" the 20 guys they bring into camp are under deals that last at least through the season. So there is literally no chance of a player tearing it up in camp and getting poached by another team with a bigger offer. The closest anyone has come to that was Novak a few years ago where the Spurs agreed to cut him because the Knicks told him they'd give him a guaranteed offer.

The talk is that both Forbes and Arcidiacono are going to be signed to deals as soon as the cap moves are done. So we'll be able to see them compete in camp with no concern about other teams.

And I'm not trying to attack you by bringing it up. It's just a misconception some people have. Isaiah Thomas also talking about giving a player a contract out of camp yesterday. It's scary that the dude spent years as an NBA executive and didn't know that it doesn't work that way.
    You do have to ask why Spurs signed two 6'3" guards (Forbes and Arcidiacono). It is as if they are trying to fill a void at the guard spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I was assuming one of two paths for each player on a partially guaranteed deal. Either you make the cut out of training camp and your deal is fully guaranteed, or you don't make the cut and you're a free agent eligible to be signed by other teams. Is that not how it works? Appreciate the insight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You do have to ask why Spurs signed two 6'3" guards (Forbes and Arcidiacono). It is as if they are trying to fill a void at the guard spot.
    I mean, I don't think there's much of a chance they don't have seven guards on the roster (and that's with considering Simmons a forward).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's incredible but if there was a season Bonner didn't make sense, it was last season. This season I think he has more to give than last.
    It's like you're in my brain or something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's incredible but if there was a season Bonner didn't make sense, it was last season. This season I think he has more to give than last.
    I absolutely agree. However, if both Arci and Bryn are signed to contracts, Bonner is the odd man out. (If he is resigned there will be a season-long ST meltdown.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was assuming one of two paths for each player on a partially guaranteed deal. Either you make the cut out of training camp and your deal is fully guaranteed, or you don't make the cut and you're a free agent eligible to be signed by other teams. Is that not how it works? Appreciate the insight.
    Deals can certainly be structured that way by having a guaranteed date for the day after the cut deadline. But that's not how it works normally. If you're trying to make a team in camp, your deal is usually mostly non-guaranteed, with the guarantee date in January (as mandated for all contracts by the league). Making the roster is almost never a trigger itself.

There is sometimes a slight difference that comes with camp contracts, but that has to do with the injury guarantee being reduced. That could be the case with Forbes and Arcidiacono, though signing early means they probably just got regular deals with little guaranteed money. But it will likely be the case that the 19th and 20th men have that type of deal. Pretty sure Ndoye's deal last season is an example of this.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, I don't think there's much of a chance they don't have seven guards on the roster (and that's with considering Simmons a forward).
    Then why bother if there is no need?

I believe they already knew that Murray wasn't going to be playable until he gets seasoned.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deals can certainly be structured that way by having a guaranteed date for the day after the cut deadline. But that's not how it works normally. If you're trying to make a team in camp, your deal is usually mostly non-guaranteed, with the guarantee date in January (as mandated for all contracts by the league). Making the roster is almost never a trigger itself.

There is sometimes a slight difference that comes with camp contracts, but that has to do with the injury guarantee being reduced. That could be the case with Forbes and Arcidiacono, though signing early means they probably just got regular deals with little guaranteed money. But it will likely be the case that the 19th and 20th men have that type of deal. Pretty sure Ndoye's deal last season is an example of this.
    I understand that the Forbes deal was guaranteed (just the salary). Did Arcidiacono also get the same kind of deal?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then why bother if there is no need?
    Why bother with what? The Spurs are set to play small a lot this season, so having more guards makes sense. It makes double sense giving the expiring natures of Manu's, Mills' and Simmons' deals. It doesn't hurt to get depth where you need it most.

I believe they already knew that Murray wasn't going to be playable until he gets seasoned.
    Buford said as much in his post-draft conference. And I'm a fan of them bringing in a guy so they never need Murray this season. But I doubt they feel Forbes or Arcidiacono are locks to get playing time over Dejounte right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand that the Forbes deal was guaranteed (just the salary). Did Arcidiacono also get the same kind of deal?
    I really think that article was just wrong. My guess is that Forbes and Arcidiacono got identical contracts, both of which are two-year deals at the min with small guarantees.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really think that article was just wrong. My guess is that Forbes and Arcidiacono got identical contracts, both of which are two-year deals at the min with small guarantees.
    What do you think the odds are that both are retained through camp?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's like you're in my brain or something.

Frankly b4 Diaw was traded and while Boban was still in the picture as a possibility to be signed, I didn't think we would see Bonner again, but with things as they are right now it's a different scenario, the big market is now thin, the guys out there that are worth getting are looking to get paid more, etc. Once I saw Humphries with a 1 yr 4 mill deal, Bonner all of a sudden started looking like a possibility.

It's scary how thin Spurs are right now. Kawhi will have to carry a large burden this season and he's always been managed in minutes. And dare I say it if we have an injury to a key guy we are headed for the lottery. We just don't have the depth right now. Last season we survived injuries bc Boban/Anderson/Simmons stepped up. Now Boban is gone, and Anderson and Simmons are rotation players.

Behind the rotation players there's not the quality that there was last season. I think Bertans will play a lot anyways, when Manu rests. And he's my likely candidate to play minutes for Pop as a rookie.

But overall, just got to pray we stay healthy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Steph is also only 6'3". Perhaps Pop is looking for someone like Forbes that can shoot well from 3 and that can spell Mills for stretches of time when guarding Steph. Mills is just too short. Tony simply can't stay in front of him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you think the odds are that both are retained through camp?
    If you mean of the making it as a duo almost none, barring a Mills trade. Even then, at least one would be cut as soon as the Spurs found a vet PG. If you mean individually, I'd put Forbes at 65 percent and Arcidiacono at 25 percent. Forbes has a legit NBA skill, even though Arcidiacono is a better player. The remaining 10 percent is if someone like Hanlan gets signed or if they bring in another young guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We still need a small ball 4, Slowmo is to liability on defense to be that!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Frankly b4 Diaw was traded and while Boban was still in the picture as a possibility to be signed, I didn't think we would see Bonner again, but with things as they are right now it's a different scenario, the big market is now thin, the guys out there that are worth getting are looking to get paid more, etc. Once I saw Humphries with a 1 yr 4 mill deal, Bonner all of a sudden started looking like a possibility.

It's scary how thin Spurs are right now. Kawhi will have to carry a large burden this season and he's always been managed in minutes. And dare I say it if we have an injury to a key guy we are headed for the lottery. We just don't have the depth right now. Last season we survived injuries bc Boban/Anderson/Simmons stepped up. Now Boban is gone, and Anderson and Simmons are rotation players.

Behind the rotation players there's not the quality that there was last season. I think Bertans will play a lot anyways, when Manu rests. And he's my likely candidate to play minutes for Pop as a rookie.

But overall, just got to pray we stay healthy.
    I agree. Here's to hoping Bertans and someone else like Forbes are better than we know so far.

I would say I think our starting 5 are better offensively than last year, which should take a little pressure off Kawhi. We can certainly stretch it better on both sides of the floor. In some respects, I would speculate we might even have a better high-low game as well...even though LA and Duncan did fairly well with that last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We still need a small ball 4, Slowmo is to liability on defense to be that!
    Not against a 4. He played well in the paint last year. His deficiency is out on the perimter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

, this is getting bad. What's Chris Singleton up to?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta wonder if Aldridge is starting to feel sorry about signing on with the Spurs.

Thread Information