Page 228 of 293 FirstFirst ... 128178218224225226227228229230231232238278 ... LastLast
Results 5,676 to 5,700 of 7307
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess so, but I had never seen a Spurs team that was this top heavy. I haven't been a Spurs fan that long mind you. The teams I have watched since 2013 were teams that had a lot of depth.
    What made you a Spurs fan and who were you a fan of before?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess so, but I had never seen a Spurs team that was this top heavy. I haven't been a Spurs fan that long mind you. The teams I have watched since 2013 were teams that had a lot of depth.
    It's easy to have depth when you hang out over the cap for like a dozen years (literally). MLE signings start adding up, you can keep your own guys comfortably. You have less to think about when making trades. When you use cap space, you have to let a bunch of guys go every year. I think they settle back into a long time of no cap space after 2018, or they might even do it after next summer if Gasol opts out and they get a long-term answer at C and PG.

Anyway, the Spurs have prospects, and you just have to hope those guys play well. For regular-season games, I'm pretty confident they can get by most nights.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never understood why people type like that It's not even like it's a shortcut or anything...it's quite annoying capitalizing the first letter of every word as if you're writing a 20+ word le or something.
    Just typing that was difficult.
    Maybe some phones have a setting that automatically capitalizes the first letter of each word? Seems useless though.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's easy to have depth when you hang out over the cap for like a dozen years (literally). MLE signings start adding up, you can keep your own guys comfortably. You have less to think about when making trades. When you use cap space, you have to let a bunch of guys go every year. I think they settle back into a long time of no cap space after 2018, or they might even do it after next summer if Gasol opts out and they get a long-term answer at C and PG.

Anyway, the Spurs have prospects, and you just have to hope those guys play well. For regular-season games, I'm pretty confident they can get by most nights.
    If memory serves me there a push in one of the CBA negotiations to get rid of the MLE, but the players pushed back hard at that.

The MLE is one of the things that kind of makes a mockery of the salary cap anyway. If the league really wanted parity they wouldn't allow teams to operate over it so easily. Not allowing tax-paying teams to receive a player in a sign-and-trade was a step in the right direction imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What made you a Spurs fan and who were you a fan of before?
    I moved to SA around that time (husband in the military). I had not watched or followed basketball b4, but I switched states, homes, moved, found myself in a new place and the Spurs are a big thing locally. Saw a few games on TV with husband and I was surprised the team was still that good. I mean even a casual fan knew the big 3 from winning championships but that was a long ass time ago. I was intrigued by their young guys, etc. I was more attracted to the team building, the culture of the team etc. I am therefore a little bit more attached to younger players than the old big 3. It's been interesting for me to see Kawhi develop and the team around him, etc. I just have a different perspective I guess.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I moved to SA around that time (husband in the military). I had not watched or followed basketball b4, but I switched states, homes, moved, found myself in a new place and the Spurs are a big thing locally. Saw a few games on TV with husband and I was surprised the team was still that good. I mean even a casual fan knew the big 3 from winning championships but that was a long ass time ago. I was intrigued by their young guys, etc. I was more attracted to the team building, the culture of the team etc. I am therefore a little bit more attached to younger players than the old big 3. It's been interesting for me to see Kawhi develop and the team around him, etc. I just have a different perspective I guess.
    Interesting. I wouldn't have known you've only been a fan for 3 years or so due to the way you talk about the game and players. It's awesome to hear and see how the Spurs have made you passionate for the game of basketball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So why are you SAGirl if you aren't from the area?

Anyway, my interest curve is similar to yours, but it started earlier. I am the only basketball fan in my immediate family, but I just sort of watched dumbly until about 2008 or so. So I was more attached to the new players of that came around that time (Hill, Blair, Splitter, Green, Hairston). I remember Robinson, Elliott, Avery, etc. But those aren't MY Spurs. Even the Big Three were more like an older sibling's friends than my own.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If memory serves me there a push in one of the CBA negotiations to get rid of the MLE, but the players pushed back hard at that.

The MLE is one of the things that kind of makes a mockery of the salary cap anyway. If the league really wanted parity they wouldn't allow teams to operate over it so easily. Not allowing tax-paying teams to receive a player in a sign-and-trade was a step in the right direction imo.
    I think it's mandatory given how the cap is actually going to drop. There are so many team that just don't seem prepared to go from trying to make the minimum salary to being tax payers. The Spurs are one of the few that seem like they're ready for the changes that are about to occur.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Btb, Re 's being an idiot on Twitter.

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    San Antonio Spurs@spurs 1m1 minute agoSan Antonio, TX
    Spurs sign forward Davis Bertans » http://gospu.rs/29ywRK5 Welcome to the squad, @DBertans_42!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nevermind.
    Last edited by NikosChelsea7; 07-14-2016 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Tweet already posted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There we go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully one ginger is enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well that should be it. So we should see, Manu sign soon and then free agents

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Not there was any doubt but it's nice to see the signings happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes! hope he's good.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So why are you SAGirl if you aren't from the area?

Anyway, my interest curve is similar to yours, but it started earlier. I am the only basketball fan in my immediate family, but I just sort of watched dumbly until about 2008 or so. So I was more attached to the new players of that came around that time (Hill, Blair, Splitter, Green, Hairston). I remember Robinson, Elliott, Avery, etc. But those aren't MY Spurs. Even the Big Three were more like an older sibling's friends than my own.

Where you from? Why the Spurs in 08'?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans announcement could have been delayed waiting on fiba clearance, contract probably turned in before dedmon

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully this means we can see him in Summer League tomorrow. And out of curiosity, why is Milutinov in town if he wasn't going to play? Maybe the Spurs were working him out against the Summer Spurs to evaluate him. The only move we can make to afford him from what I know is trading Patty, and if we do that we would have some space for a center too. I'm sure the Spurs wouldn't really want to do that with all the influx of youth and new players. Gonna need character and leadership in this transition period. But on the flip side we are most likely gonna lose him after this season with the market the way it is. I don't know if PATFO will want to spend around ten mill for him, which I'm guessing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where you from? Why the Spurs in 08'?
    Austin. Born and raised, and still living here. Spurs are my team because they were always my team. But I didn't care about the intellectual aspect of sports until I was an adult. I went away from college and didn't get to watch the games, so I had to read about them instead. Changes your perspective.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans announcement could have been delayed waiting on fiba clearance, contract probably turned in before dedmon
    Yes, that's easily the best explanation. Plus, I think Laboral Kuxta just accepted the buyout yesterday.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thanks for the perspective. Cap issues confuse me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Btb, Re 's being an idiot on Twitter.
    He's basically saying he's on the side of players choosing to create super teams and that super teams haven't equaled true dominance since there's been 5 different champs in 6 seasons.

Commissioner Silver's stance is probably the position of every owner not in Golden State. Luckily this season will need to be played in order for any real conclusions to be made. Fortunately for JJ, the Warriors would need to make the league seem uncompe ive for a Bulls type run (6 chips in 8 years) in order for the economics to have a legit shot at being negatively impacted. JJ will be retired or close to it by the time those chickens would come home to roost.

It it will be culturally interesting to see if that type of winning will be embraced in today's society. The Bulls were loved globally on the fame of MJ. Now that KD is the villain and global fans are more informed it could have the opposite effect. Either way, I think the popularity of the sport will remain intact regardless of the Warroirs success.

Thread Information