Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's Pop's stubbornness that gets him into trouble. Everyone could tell right away that lineup was , but yet he kept it going way too long.
    And Pop will keep on pounding that rock. It's always been his philosophy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing wrong with the article. Kawhi deserves criticism for that performance now that he's the best player on the team.
    He's still not the best offensive player on the team. LMA is, and the smart thing for the team to do is to pass him the ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he was playing in NY, that would be considered a fluff piece.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    was hardly any passin, weaves, slashes or motion!
    Was alota ISO & dump downs!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No it is not good to blame Kawhi for the loss. 18 for 47 38% from the rest of the team beside Aldridge, Leonard, and MANUUUUUUU..

NOT NO BUT NO it wasn't Kawhi's fault. Buck Harvey was looking for someone big to blame and choose Kawhi when he should have looked at Duncan, Parker, Green and the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean he is a coaching genius and a top 3 coach of all-time...but that doesn't mean the guy never s up and shouldn't be called out on it when he does. If any other coach trotted out that bull lineup Pop did to start the 4th, the media would jump their ass and point to that as a main reason the team lost.
    I really think that lineup cost us the game. We were down 1 with all the momentum and that lineup took it to 11 I think. (Maybe 9?) One of Kawhi or LMA must be on the court at all times. I'm worried Kawhi's relatively low minutes for a 24 year old means Pop's protecting him from aggravating some injury. Either that, or the price of his great defense, is more rest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm worried Kawhi's relatively low minutes for a 24 year old means Pop's protecting him from aggravating some injury. Either that, or the price of his great defense, is more rest.

Not just his low minutes - his low energy. I said it in the game thread, it looked like one of those games where you find out later he had flu or something. But they don't want to make excuses, so they don't say anything till the season is over.

I don't doubt Kawhi's heart, or his motivation. So I have to think it was something else. There's no doubt that if the Spurs have Kawhi as his normal self, that game looks a lot different. People can be defensive or butthurt al they want, but that didn't look like the Kawhi we are used to seeing. And not just because shots didn't fall.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not just his low minutes - his low energy. I said it in the game thread, it looked like one of those games where you find out later he had flu or something. But they don't want to make excuses, so they don't say anything till the season is over.

I don't doubt Kawhi's heart, or his motivation. So I have to think it was something else. There's no doubt that if the Spurs have Kawhi as his normal self, that game looks a lot different. People can be defensive or butthurt al they want, but that didn't look like the Kawhi we are used to seeing. And not just because shots didn't fall.
    Well, if it was a flu or anything relatively temporary like that, the long delay between Games 2 and 3 might be a blessing in disguise. (Though I don't want LMA to cool off...)

Maybe Kawhi went to the dentist again?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Pop and Kawhi both deserve the brunt of the criticism. Unfortunately most of the media thinks Pop is infallible.
    No they don't. They just know the history of criticizing Pop, how it affects access privileges and even jobs.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Yep, as Harlem said, it comes with his new-found status...It is on him, he is not a role player anymore..In past even when the Spurs lost, TD came down swinging in elimination games with few legendary performances going to waste..You can always count on Duncan monster 30pts/15 reb even if the rest of the team came up short..
    Kawhi is basically '07-'08 KG status who was the best two-way player in the league (finished 3rd in MVP behind CP3/Kirby) but not necessarily even the best offensive player on his own team. The OKC matchup is similar to what KG faced in the 2008 Finals when he had to deal w/ Pau/Odom w/ help from Perkins just as Kawhi has to deal w/ KD/WB w/ help from Danny.

In the '08 Finals, KG's offense suffered but Ray Allen went nuclear just like LMA is going nuclear against OKC. The difference was that the Celtics had a point-forward in Pierce meanwhile the Spurs have 38 year old Manu as their best playmaker. Otherwise, Tim/Tony/Danny/West/Patty/Diaw are basically Perk/Rondo/Posey/PJ/House/Powe.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    The thing I noticed with Kawhi last game (and it could be every game he under performs) is when he catches the ball he lets the defender get in position before making a move. If the dude would just make his move as soon as he gets the ball, he'd get whatever he wants. There's literally a few people in the NBA who could stop him ( and he is one of them) Yeah but there is definitely no excuse for coming up short when ing Dion Waiters is guarding you.. Dude better come to play Friday!
    That's called being indecisive, when Kahwi is locked-in he usually starts the game with a strong move to the basket instead of settling for jumpers. There have been couple of occasions where Kawhi got a dunk on his opening possession & dominated the game thereafter.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi is the Klay Thompson of the Spurs. He's fine as long as he's the second fiddle but struggles when he's the main guy. He had the Big Three early in his career and now Aldridge. He's still young and hopefully he can overcome his shortcomings. But I don't think he can main a franchise player. One that opposing teams set their defense against. It looks like Aldridge may have to fulfill that role for next several years

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Others have mentioned it, and it's something I worried about from game 1, is if Kawhi aggravated something with that early dunk and fall. He seemed like he didn't want to go full blast in game 2. Hopefully Kawhi will be fine and heal up with the time off, whatever it may be.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi has one bad game and people are jumping on him as if he's Derozan or Lowry. Bad games happen, if it becomes more than a 1 or 2 game thing then it's an issue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you lose by a couple points, it's not the coaching. It's who wanted it more from the players. Always has been.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    When you lose by a couple points, it's not the coaching. It's who wanted it more from the players. Always has been.

Actually, when you lose by a couple of points then it's most likely the coaches fault. On the other hand, if the team gets blownout then the players are to blame.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Kawhi has one bad game and people are jumping on him as if he's Derozan or Lowry. Bad games happen, if it becomes more than a 1 or 2 game thing then it's an issue.
    Durant had a 7-33 game against the Mavs so it does happen, the only issue was that he kept settling for jumpers instead of putting his head down & driving to the rack.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No it is not good to blame Kawhi for the loss. 18 for 47 38% from the rest of the team beside Aldridge, Leonard, and MANUUUUUUU..

NOT NO BUT NO it wasn't Kawhi's fault. Buck Harvey was looking for someone big to blame and choose Kawhi when he should have looked at Duncan, Parker, Green and the bench.
    Bold this man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep. I said something similar a few weeks ago after one of the Goldenstate games. Kawhi needs to be much better offensively and more consistent with the game on the line for me to call him a true superstar. I recall in some losses where Tim's teammates didn't show up, he'd have something like 30 and 15, and then still take the blame for the loss. Kawhi's nowhere near that. He needs to step up big time.

Sure, he's a great all around player (it's the only reason he's in the top 2-5 range right now IMO), but that doesn't mean you're a superstar if you can't do it on the offensive end when the pressure to perform is on. If it were only based on his current offensive game and disappearance acts, he's not a top 5 player. He needs to get more aggressive and get to the rim and start taking over. No more of settling for those silly jump shots all the time. He really needs to mix it up like LaMarcus is doing. Go both inside and outside and stop settling for jumpers. If his jumper is not on, he needs to learn to get to the rim and finish. Mix it up and get more aggressive mentally. Stop checking out.
    Lol. Stfu sucker. There are 2 sides of the ball. What do the current great offensive players have to show for it? KD and Harden been stacking them rings huh? I oughta find you kick your ass for being so ing stupid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi is the Klay Thompson of the Spurs. He's fine as long as he's the second fiddle but struggles when he's the main guy. He had the Big Three early in his career and now Aldridge. He's still young and hopefully he can overcome his shortcomings. But I don't think he can main a franchise player. One that opposing teams set their defense against. It looks like Aldridge may have to fulfill that role for next several years
    What shortcomings? Please name a more complete player in the NBA.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bold a man that wants to blame a 40 year old for the loss? Bold pink, maybe.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, he's a star player now, he didn't show up down the stretch of game 2, tbh, he deserves blame for it..it comes with the territory of being a star, he's going to finish #2 or 3 in MVP voting, he has to play like it..
    he never has

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What shortcomings? Please name a more complete player in the NBA.
    crumbles in big games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    is it possible that Kawhi is not that good?

dont take me wrong, Kawhi is the best defender on Earth, one-on-one,

yet there are many intangibles to being a superstar:

One, leadership and presence in crucial moments (Duncan and Manu have this, like the all-time greats)

Two, the ability to make his teammates better (i do not know if Kawhi has this in great amounts)

Three, Offensive execution in clutch moments (well, Kawhi has done it once or twice; MJ and Bird do it regularly)

Four, the ability to diagnose the tempo of a game and influence it accordingly (again, I do not know if Kawhi has this)

Fifth, consistency and the ability to maintain his greatness over long periods (which our boy sadly lack)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

having said that.....hmmmm.....we still believe!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

_------------------------------------------------------------\

im one of those who keep repeating.....

LAMARCUS IS OUR ALPHA, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT....

no debate here......

Thread Information