Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Durant had a 7-33 game against the Mavs so it does happen
    Kawhi was 7-18 last game...Can't imagine this forum if he had 7-33

he needs to learn to get to the rim and finish
    the only issue was that he kept settling for jumpers instead of putting his head down & driving to the rack.
    If something has shown this series if how much Kawhi improved his driving, he showed strong moves to the rim...But not sure if the team is designed for that.

Look where is LMA and the other big, where is Parker...when Kawhi has the ball. It's not like the team is giving him the space or calling plays for him to attack the rim.

Agree with you, he wouldn't set for jumpers that often if those shots aren't falling...but he can't drive very often either, not if the team don't play for those drives.
    Last edited by YGWHI; 05-05-2016 at 07:20 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi is the Klay Thompson of the Spurs.
    Stop trolling
    Thompson struggled in the Finals, Kawhi played two Finals and some of those games were his best playoffs performances. 2013 defensively, 2014 on both ends.
    Remember when you said he coudn't be the leading scorer on a good team? Well, he was that guy on the Spurs historic-best- regular-season team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ive said before in order for me to call Kawhi Leonard a "Superstar" i would need to see him take over a playoff game
    I thought he'd top out as an 18-20ppg guy, but can he reach that next level? The kind of level that when everyone is scared less, Kawhi wills the team with a 35-40 point effort, like vintage Duncan used to do, or even like LMA is doing now?
    Sure, he's a great all around player (it's the only reason he's in the top 2-5 range right now IMO), but that doesn't mean you're a superstar if you can't do it on the offensive end when the pressure to perform is on.
    Like Kawhi never took over a pressure-close game in playoffs...

Just look his game 3 in Memphis, the only game of the series the Grizz could compete (96-87). Yep, just a poor team but with the best 2nd/3rd perimter defender in the league on Kawhi.

LMA 16 points, Parker 2 points (1-8), Patty 4 points (1-5), nothing worked well...except Kawhi, who was making shots from every spot on the floor in the 4th quarter.

32 points 5 blocks 4 steals sounds a big-time performance in playoffs

If he can have this type of games consistently...Next years we'll know it. This was the first season for him being the main guy and he has not reached his prime yet.
    Last edited by YGWHI; 05-05-2016 at 07:39 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No they don't. They just know the history of criticizing Pop, how it affects access privileges and even jobs.
    Exactly. For all the "get over yourself" talk, Pop runs the local media like Stalin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Pop and Kawhi both deserve the brunt of the criticism. Unfortunately most of the media thinks Pop is infallible.
    Problem is our media is too en nice, they dont want to be critical of OUR SPURS.

Tough ....maybe if the media did this theyed grow a few balls and play better!!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    is it possible that Kawhi is not that good?

dont take me wrong, Kawhi is the best defender on Earth, one-on-one,

yet there are many intangibles to being a superstar:

One, leadership and presence in crucial moments (Duncan and Manu have this, like the all-time greats)

Two, the ability to make his teammates better (i do not know if Kawhi has this in great amounts)

Three, Offensive execution in clutch moments (well, Kawhi has done it once or twice; MJ and Bird do it regularly)

Four, the ability to diagnose the tempo of a game and influence it accordingly (again, I do not know if Kawhi has this)

Fifth, consistency and the ability to maintain his greatness over long periods (which our boy sadly lack)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

having said that.....hmmmm.....we still believe!

He's too en quite boy needs to grow a few balls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you lose at home and you the MVP of your team. And you played mediocre or worse. It's on you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said this in another topic, but what amazes me the most is how he even doubled down on the ridiculousness. After LMA/Kawhi got us all the momentum and got it to a 1-point game going into the 4th, he goes to a Mills/Manu/Green/Diaw/West lineup. Alright, fine, whatever. Then OKC immediately comes out and builds their lead back again, and then what does Pop do? Brings in ing Kyle Anderson and subs out Manu
    This was the most frustrating/head scratching moment of the night for me. The refs suck, but that can't be controlled by the Spurs. This move should never have happened.

Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just wanna say, Kawhi took a horrible 3pt shot with the game on the line.
    I'm not sure what he wast thinking.

Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe the referees are in his head
    I think this needs to be given consideration. He kind of looks frustrated when he starts being aggressive but he doesn't get calls.

He might be mentally affected and favoring more the jumpers or passes to try to help instead of just missing or losing the ball, or become indecisive.

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SAEN's own "Mr Unreliable".

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ideally, Kawhi just need to go bonkers and take over the series on both ends of the court.

In reality, he's still a developing player and as much as I would like him to take over, my expectation is much lower.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you lose at home and you the MVP of your team. And you played mediocre or worse. It's on you.
    This, the article is well written and deserving, you can blame Pop, or Manu, or Parker, but at the end of the day if you are the MVP and couldnīt crack 20 points against Waiters (or Barnes for the matter) then itīs on you first and then the rest.

The thing about the refs being on their head is ridiculous, Ginobili didnīt earn refs respect right away, Parker didnīt either, maybe Duncan did, i am not sure, but big men usually also have trouble getting calls.

The refs excuse is just that, and excuse.

If Kawhi continues to play like this the Spurs wonīt be able to beat Okc, simple as that, even if Pop becomes a genius coach, Aldridge gets on fire, or Manu makes all the correct plays, when a 20 shot players s the bed on consistent basis you are done as a team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    is it possible that Kawhi is not that good?

dont take me wrong, Kawhi is the best defender on Earth, one-on-one,

yet there are many intangibles to being a superstar:

One, leadership and presence in crucial moments (Duncan and Manu have this, like the all-time greats)

Two, the ability to make his teammates better (i do not know if Kawhi has this in great amounts)

Three, Offensive execution in clutch moments (well, Kawhi has done it once or twice; MJ and Bird do it regularly)

Four, the ability to diagnose the tempo of a game and influence it accordingly (again, I do not know if Kawhi has this)

Fifth, consistency and the ability to maintain his greatness over long periods (which our boy sadly lack)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

having said that.....hmmmm.....we still believe!

True. Wanker is overrated

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Taking 18 shots and only 2 FTs is a problem..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ideally, Kawhi just need to go bonkers and take over the series on both ends of the court.

In reality, he's still a developing player and as much as I would like him to take over, my expectation is much lower.
    That has zero chance of happening. And no. When he got MvP trophy in that final series our entire team was playing lights out. Kawhi never carried a team through a series

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We all know how good Kawhi can be. It's infuriating when he doesn't play to his potential.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate the Spurs' offense. It's ugly. When the Spurs shared the ball via The Beautiful Game, they were almost unstoppable. I'm fine with the team taking less 3 pointers and moving toward more of a mid-range scoring team.

HOWEVER - They still need to move the ball to create open shots. This team isn't there right now. Relying on 1 player like they did in the last game is not a recipe for success. Kawhi needs to be involved, LA needs to remain a threat but the back court needs to get more involved to keep defenses honest. When you rely on 1 or 2 players for offense, you become stagnant, predictable and teammates become less accountable. There is less ownership on the court from the other guys and then nobody steps up because they don't feel comfortable doing so.

My hope is that the team shares the ball but doesn't over-pass. If LA doesn't get the ball down low, I hope he's ready to grab a rebound. Tim needs to at least pretend to be an offensive threat. In these playoffs he has received the ball and then immediately looked to pass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's too en quite boy needs to grow a few balls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    How many balls do you think he should have?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing I noticed with Kawhi last game (and it could be every game he under performs) is when he catches the ball he lets the defender get in position before making a move. If the dude would just make his move as soon as he gets the ball, he'd get whatever he wants. There's literally a few people in the NBA who could stop him ( and he is one of them) Yeah but there is definitely no excuse for coming up short when ing Dion Waiters is guarding you.. Dude better come to play Friday!
    Not sure, tbh.

The biggest thing holding Kawhi back on the offensive end (besides his lack of killer instinct) is his lack of handles. The same big hands that make him a great defender are a liability when he puts the ball on the floor. He just does not have confidence in his dribble and it shows. If you think about it, Kawhi's best historic offensive plays are of the catch-and-shoot variety or throw-down dunks when he's unimpeded to the basket or is already there when he gets the ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Just look his game 3 in Memphis, the only game of the series the Grizz could compete (96-87). Yep, just a poor team but with the best 2nd/3rd perimter defender in the league on Kawhi.

LMA 16 points, Parker 2 points (1-8), Patty 4 points (1-5), nothing worked well...except Kawhi, who was making shots from every spot on the floor in the 4th quarter.

If he can have this type of games consistently...Next years we'll know it. This was the first season for him being the main guy and he has not reached his prime yet.
    Memphis was a lottery team. As good as Kawhi was in that series, there was no pressure. The series was a foregone conclusion. And as I said, he can't live off the 2014 Finals forever. Time to add to his legacy.

What I want is a Duncan '03, game 6 in LA against the Lakers type of performance. A complete takeover on both ends that just kills the other team mentally. And as I also said, doesn't need to necessarily drop 40. Just give us a "Kawhi game," 25 points on efficient shooting, 8-10 boards, 4 dimes, 3 steals, 2 blocks, and hold Durant/Westbrook in check when he's on them.

Durant called him a system player. Waiters is saying the Spurs are a one man team. Kawhi has all the incentive to shut their asses up for good. These are defining games coming up. Games in which superstars step up and deliver.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does Anyone suspect Kawhi Leonard of maybe being hurt with his hamstring, after the fall on the 1st play of the game. He didnt look that spry in gm 2.. And not being able to beat his man off the dribble like he normally can.. Would explain his shot misses among other things.. I do not want to short change Roberson or Waiters, but they are not type flight defenders who should be able to contain KL.. Anyways let me know if anyone had the same thought.. I hadn't seen it reported or written anywhere.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol. Stfu sucker. There are 2 sides of the ball. What do the current great offensive players have to show for it? KD and Harden been stacking them rings huh? I oughta find you kick your ass for being so ing stupid.
    lol. I will smash you head to a pulp. You've got no chance.

Now that we have the pleasantries out of the way - the main reason Jordan, Hakeem, TD, Shaq, Kobe, Lebron are considered superstars is because of what they do/did on the offensive side of the ball. If they played zero defense, they'd still be superstars and that is because they carry their team offensively and usually come though in the 4th quarter when their teams needed the points. You don't have to be a super defender and offensive player to be a superstar, but you do need to be good on offense if you're going to carry your team to wins.

Come on man, Memphis was barely a threat to win one game. He needs to do that against the elite teams like Tim and Manu used to do routinely. One good game against a team that was too injured to compete in the playoffs is not something to base an argument on.

Memphis was a lottery team. As good as Kawhi was in that series, there was no pressure. The series was a foregone conclusion. And as I said, he can't live off the 2014 Finals forever. Time to add to his legacy.

What I want is a Duncan '03, game 6 in LA against the Lakers type of performance. A complete takeover on both ends that just kills the other team mentally. And as I also said, doesn't need to necessarily drop 40. Just give us a "Kawhi game," 25 points on efficient shooting, 8-10 boards, 4 dimes, 3 steals, 2 blocks, and hold Durant/Westbrook in check when he's on them.

Durant called him a system player. Waiters is saying the Spurs are a one man team. Kawhi has all the incentive to shut their asses up for good. These are defining games coming up. Games in which superstars step up and deliver.
    Exactly. Before Waiters said that quote, he probably had Kevin Durant telling him in the locker room that yeah, Kawhi is still a system player. This is Kawhi's chance to prove that he isn't and shut them up. He really needs to step up here and now. If he wants it as bad as he says that he does, then he needs to be totally locked in and very aggressive mentally with a take no prisoners at ude.
    Last edited by Ice009; 05-05-2016 at 10:55 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does Anyone suspect Kawhi Leonard of maybe being hurt with his hamstring, after the fall on the 1st play of the game. He didnt look that spry in gm 2.. And not being able to beat his man off the dribble like he normally can.. Would explain his shot misses among other things.. I do not want to short change Roberson or Waiters, but they are not type flight defenders who should be able to contain KL.. Anyways let me know if anyone had the same thought.. I hadn't seen it reported or written anywhere.
    I thought this. And if it were minor enough, the Spurs would likely keep it inhouse. Hopefully this time off will help, if there is such an injury.

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well I do have the same thought. Overall he played great in game one but it's the adrenaline thing tbh. Then Pop played him pretty carefully and limit his minutes as much as he could. Idk if it's truth but that was not a good game by leo that game 2. Let's see if those 3 days off gets him rollin.

Thread Information