0. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope he lets Becky be the teams soul. Fake an injury and let her bench.

Pop used to be a hard ass but he's turned into a player's coach....like a rich man's byron scott.

He could move to the Front office and lead the practices but have becky call plays and bark at officials.

Becky, udoka, bonner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Donovan's adjustment to win series- No more Cam Payne

Pops adjustments- More Kyle Anderson, David West, and finally Kevin Martin

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "When West goes in, time to make a run"... what else is there to know?
    Well, Danny said OKC knew every Spurs play and call it from the bench.

Part is on Pop being predictable, but also their scouting was a lot better than Spurs'.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It did seem like they knew everything we did but hopefully it wasn't because we were outprepared and all our plays scouted but rather just how stagnant and predictable the offense was with no ball movement and no spacing.

It's not exactly the most difficult thing to defend, and we saw many times during the regular season how the offense couldn't get going at all before the bench entered. Our offense turned a longterm unreliable defensie into a juggernaut!

Unfortunately Pop never made adjustments to make our offense match up better with OKC very well known defensive weaknesses and unfortunately our bench relying too much on West and Kyle were ill suited to defend KD (BIG SURPRISE YET POP CONTINUED TO HAVE BOTH DANNY AND KAWHI OUT WHEN KD WAS IN) and rebound against very physical bigs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For posterity's sake, this thread was created after we won Game 3, and were up 2-1 in the series...
    Another Pop's epic meltdown.

Like his record on elimination games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, Danny said OKC knew every Spurs play and call it from the bench.

Part is on Pop being predictable, but also their scouting was a lot better than Spurs'.
    Frankly, there was plenty of time for Pop to shake things up but he chose to keep going with that same ty bench lineup and midget duo up until tonight.

So, I don't wanna hear how scouting was the cop-out. I'm sure the Spurs did their due diligence also, but eventually it's on you to adjust. Billy did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One reporter calls him out, gets the asshole treatment back.

Typical Pop, gotta be a to anyone who questions his ability.
    Much as I like Pop, I wonder how his tenure as National Team coach will go.

Pop's whole shtick with the press is that it's his team and you're a pathetic know-nothing outsider. That's fine if you're coaching a club team in a smaller market.

But when you're the face of the National Team -- a team that the whole country takes ownership in, Pop's act may not fly.

If he comes off as smug, arrogant, and uncaring after a loss that eliminates our Olympic team from the Gold Medal, I'm not sure how he fares in a room full of national press corps . . .

My Team
    Charlotte Bobcats
    Post Count
    Add billy to the list of coaches who son'd Poopavich despite being favored...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Frankly, there was plenty of time for Pop to shake things up but he chose to keep going with that same ty bench lineup and midget duo up until tonight.

So, I don't wanna hear how scouting was the cop-out. I'm sure the Spurs did their due diligence also, but eventually it's on you to adjust. Billy did.
    Playing ty lineups.

Taking horrible game-late decisions.

Being reluctant to make adjustments.

Even a rookie coach like Donovan outplayed him.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ma nig Alvin Gentry too!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even a rookie coach like Donovan outplayed him.
    Billy Donovan is one of the better basketball coaches in the world.

What he did at Florida is nothing short of miraculous.

I remember being very worried when I first heard OKC had hired him.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I went to a regular season game this year when we played the Pelicans. We won, but it was close until late in the 4th quarter. There was no ball movement, but Aldridge scored 40 and we won.

After the game I told everyone that the Spurs had no chance vs the Thunder or Warriors this year. I couldn't believe what I had just witnessed. We no longer shot 3's. We no longer moved the ball. And we went to Aldridge every other time down the floor. We relied on mid-range jumpers and there was no spacing at all. Danny Green and Patty Mills had now been rendered useless. It was bad, slow, 90's style basketball. This wasn't the Spurs I had grown up watching. For once during the Big 3 era, everyone on the court actually looked their age. They looked just as old and slow as everyone had said they were for years. And it was all because Pop had decided to change the style of play to cater to Lamarcus Aldridge.

Pop went away from playing Spurs basketball this year. And I do mean the entire year. The NBA only ever has about 4-5 good teams. And the Spurs struggled tremendously against them. The record was fools gold.

As for tonight:

-No Boris Diaw WTF!? Needed to space the floor. Terrible decision not to play him. Should never have been in Pop's doghouse if it was just for bad play. Several Spurs would have been in it if it was only that. WTF was goin on?
    - Patty Mills got benched after 3 minutes for K-Mart. LOL so let's play without a PG and have Manu turn it over and let OKC make a run when were up 19-13. Maybe put it Andre Miller in the 1st qtr instead of the 4th!?
    - The lack of 3 point shooting, ball movement, and spacing was just appalling. Especially when we were making a run in the 4th and STILL SHOOTING JUMP SHOTS AND NOT 3'S. Where's the urgency?????
    - Boban is a VICTORY CIGAR. NOTHING MORE. HE CAN'T GUARD ANYONE. HE'S TOO SLOW. PLAYING HIM WAS A RAGE-QUIT MOVE BY POP. The lineups were just AWFUL tonight.
    - The team looked s -shocked in the 2nd quarter when OKC made their big run. Pop should have used all of his timeout and shook some guys. The team lost it's spirit. I think because of the awkward lineups.

If Duncan and Ginobili retire, then Pop needs to aswell. We need a fresh start. This playoff series was a disaster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Billy Donovan is one of the better basketball coaches in the world.

What he did at Florida is nothing short of miraculous.

I remember being very worried when I first heard OKC had hired him.
    He was a rookie this season.

I've said before that Donovan is a big upgrade over Brooks but the transition from college to NBA isn't easy.

Not sure if he could go away from the Brooks iso-heavy scheme but at least he could manage KD minutes, get every one involved, and make the team plays strong defense, he made Kanter look decent at D...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another season goes by and Pop gets new wine.

The bad overweights the good he still has.

Unfortunately if he goes means at least Duncan hangs up. But we need another coach. A good one not empty preachers or morons that are dime a dozen in this league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are the better team overall but they lost because of the coaching staff. Not just Pop, assistants too.

Sure Pop looks done after 2014, but there was a bit of fire in him at the start of this season, he seemed to be really invested early on, but he faded during the season just like the big 3 did - progressively worse each month. He couldn't get the team to peak at the right timeand he's not even shown his oldtime playoff panicking and overreaction, just kept pounding the rock with his head. He looks like the coaching version of Tim Duncan right now.

That said, this has not been a lost season for the Spurs. They've shown they didn't have it in them, going down 25 at half time in an elimination game, they just didn't have it. But they've laid the foundations of a post big 3 Spurs and a clever FO could come up with great things from an unparalleled cap jump and chaos that is coming up in the next 2 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Warriors beat writer ..

were' seeing more journalists suddenly starting to treat like he isn't a holy cow..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Much as I like Pop, I wonder how his tenure as National Team coach will go.

Pop's whole shtick with the press is that it's his team and you're a pathetic know-nothing outsider. That's fine if you're coaching a club team in a smaller market.

But when you're the face of the National Team -- a team that the whole country takes ownership in, Pop's act may not fly.

If he comes off as smug, arrogant, and uncaring after a loss that eliminates our Olympic team from the Gold Medal, I'm not sure how he fares in a room full of national press corps . . .
    as Pop would say, it's still just basketball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

When the was Rick Carlisle the coach of a team that was the underdog and won (against San Antonio)?

And the Spurs definitely weren't the favorites against the Clippers last season.

On all the other coaches, I sadly agree

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    him waiting so long to even try an adjustment is indefensible...

i was thrilled when payne was on the floor... billy decided enough was enough...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lost two consecutive playoff series with 2-1 lead with his team having +25 blowout in both..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as Pop would say, it's still just basketball
    If he blows the Gold Medal, he'll wish it was just basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lost two consecutive playoff series with 2-1 lead with his team having +25 blowout in both..
    2 straight seasons where Pop has mailed it in. He's the greatest coach ever and has done great things for this team, but this immune to criticism status of his is ridiculous. I loved that someone actually called him out in the postgame, which of course Pop was smug about . If Pop is content, he should just retire with Tim and Manu so Kawhi/Green aren't having to deal with this nonsense while they're in the primes.

Tim Duncan is the GoAT Ginobili3's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had no idea what the he was doing playing David West so much in Game 4 or 5 (forget which).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 straight seasons where Pop has mailed it in. He's the greatest coach ever and has done great things for this team, but this immune to criticism status of his is ridiculous. I loved that someone actually called him out in the postgame, which of course Pop was smug about . If Pop is content, he should just retire with Tim and Manu so Kawhi/Green aren't having to deal with this nonsense while they're in the primes.
    Yep...honestly think someone like Carlisle would have gotten more out of this roster in a playoff setting (would have probably pushed the Warriors to 7)..he had freakin' Raymond Felton shredding OKC D for long stretches..

Evidence is mounting about Pop losing his edge-- the real one, not his head act with the media..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs won 67 games but it just never seemed like at any point in the season where pop had any idea what he wanted to do with the team

The defense was definitely overrated relying on a lot of switching in the regular season. Once Duncan regressed no more rim protector. Offensively he was clueless, the team didnt really have an iden y and thats on Pop.

Thread Information