Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    You could probably put two of those 4x cards in Raid 0 and the computer would probably boot before you hit the power button...
    LOL...

It seems to me that the longest part of the boot sequence is dictated by what the BIOS does. If I removed all devices that rotate, I'm thinking it would boot real fast. Over It starts windows, it is a snap. It takes a while before the BIOS goes there though.

But then a while for me, is like 2 seconds...

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    It has gone from 2 to 4 in the last couple of years. For instance, the M.2 slot is pretty useless on my motherboard (MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition) since it only supports PCIEx2. But it came out about a year before the 950 Pro.
    Try a PCIe adapter card. They are only ~ $20.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Try a PCIe adapter card. They are only ~ $20.
    I don't really have much use for an SSD faster than SATA right now. If I upgrade anything on my computer this year it's going to be the gpu.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL...

It seems to me that the longest part of the boot sequence is dictated by what the BIOS does. If I removed all devices that rotate, I'm thinking it would boot real fast. Over It starts windows, it is a snap. It takes a while before the BIOS goes there though.

But then a while for me, is like 2 seconds...
    There's a Fast Boot option on most modern BIOS... it basically skips USB initialization outside of keyboard and mouse, and makes booting up real fast...

Don't go for Ultra Fast Boot though, that one doesn't even do the keyboard or mouse and in order to get to the BIOS you gotta completely shut down your computer then turn it back on.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nm lol

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    There's a Fast Boot option on most modern BIOS... it basically skips USB initialization outside of keyboard and mouse, and makes booting up real fast...

Don't go for Ultra Fast Boot though, that one doesn't even do the keyboard or mouse and in order to get to the BIOS you gotta completely shut down your computer then turn it back on.
    I don't recall seeing any such options of either of my computers. I'll check though. The laptop allows USB and timeout changes, but I'm not sure what to do with them. I don't know about this one.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Looking at Task Manager, my XPS 8700 takes 21.2 seconds for the BIOS boot, and 10.8 secs on my MSI Laptop. Windows is like a blink compared to that on both systems.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ that's pretty ridiculous, tbh... takes about 5 secs from push button to login screen here...

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    ^ that's pretty ridiculous, tbh... takes about 5 secs from push button to login screen here...
    I wish. My old XP system I bought 6-7 years ago was real fast in booting. But it didn't have 32 GB of memory to check. Only 2 GB. I don't see a switch for the memory check. My laptop is sporting 16 GB to check. I don't see a switch for that either, though I haven't tried the ESC key yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish. My old XP system I bought 6-7 years ago was real fast in booting. But it didn't have 32 GB of memory to check. Only 2 GB. I don't see a switch for the memory check. My laptop is sporting 16 GB to check. I don't see a switch for that either, though I haven't tried the ESC key yet.
    Frankly, it's all about the BIOS... you probably have a bit older mobo, and that's probably why... you should experience a big boost in boot time once you update, especially with the SSD

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Frankly, it's all about the BIOS... you probably have a bit older mobo, and that's probably why... you should experience a big boost in boot time once you update, especially with the SSD
    The 8700 is a late 2014 computer. Looks like Dell skimped out on that. Especially with only 1 lane connected to a 4 lane PCIe connector.

I went to Frys today and bought a several Bluray movies, a USB 3 to SATA/IDE adapter, a 32" 2560 x 1440 monitor. Now I can easily extract some information off my old Win 98 computer, and old laptop easily. I could have done so differently, but I did it so I can externally clone.

Ooops... I screwed up.

I need another one for external cloning!

The monitor is sweet....

I almost got 2 of them. It's nice sitting there with three monitors, but it's out of balance. The 24" 1920 x 1200 (16:10) to the left, and the 24" 1920 x 1080 (16:9) to the right of the 32".

I'll stream to the 1080P, play a game on the center one, and do other stuff on the third. I generally have several windows open at once.
    Last edited by Wild Cobra; 05-16-2016 at 07:39 PM.

Thread Information