Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC couldn't play KD at the 4 to speedup the pace b/c Diaw punked him in 2014 so Donovan supersized. They also couldn't play Ibaka at the 5 b/c LMA ate him alive.

Donovan adjusts his rotations based on his opponent instead of stubborn season coaches like Pop.
    There wasn't much else we could do tbh. Of course playing less West, but it was a very even series, one different call, one made shot was the difference.

It's easy to make adjustments when you have the tools. I give Donovan credit, he used them properly.
    Pop just didn't have them for OKC. That said this series was basically a coin flip form a game 7 in SA.
    Just break it down
    Blow out wins 1 each (1 and 6)
    Solid Wins 1 each (3 and 4)
    Coin flip wins OKC 2

Let's also give OKC some credit. The number one problem they've always had was not being smart. Somehow they've reined that in.
    Also this team is loaded with talent. They've got 5 lottery picks under the age of 30. The Spurs? One Lottery pick aged 30. One aged 40.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC is better than Spurs

Much much better
    Pretty much this. Gotta give credit where credit is due.
    The Spurs were literally 3 possessions away from winning the series 4-1.

Let's not get carried away by the last two games vs GSW. OKC is better but the margin is razor thin.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didnt hear many people say Curry was hurt when he broke the OT record against the Blazers or when he played a solid game in game 2.

The fact is he is no-showing the same way he did in the finals for a couple games last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Let's not get carried away by the last two games vs GSW. OKC is better but the margin is razor thin.
    OKC was like a terminator robot learning from us the first 4 games. Once they knew how to play us, they anihilated us. If they had played more games, OKC would win each additional game by 45.

Lets not lie to ourselves and believe we were close to OKC

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC played well against GSW all year. The Thunder took it up a notch in the postseason, but let's not pretend that the Warriors were ever light years better than the Thunder. That's why I was really hoping LAC could get that 3 seed and Oklahoma would be matched up against Golden State in the second round.
    The Thunder were up dbl digits in every game during the RS....they found out how not to lose against the dubs this time around

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teams never admit injuries until the series is over, Chris Paul said the same thing until they lost the Rockets series.
    Only his vagina hurts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If any team can come back from 3-1 it's this Warriors team. With that said, OKC looks like it has put all the pieces together and it would take an epic breakdown for them to choke away three games in a row.

The thing I saw in the Spurs series was the OKC role players find their confidence. 2014 was so special because Green/Mills/Splitter/Bobo/Marco et al were playing great at the same time. When guys like Roberson are contributing offensively and Waiters is knocking down clutch shots it makes OKC great. On top of that, the Thunder found a great coach in Donovan. When every team in the league was focusing on getting small enough to defeat the Warriors he valued rebounding and protecting the rim. We had to listen to pundits talk about how D Bag Green was the future of NBA bigs and Donovan is proving all of them wrong in two playoff series.

I believe both the Raptors and Cavs are better equipped from a roster standpoint to compete against the Thunder. The Raptors would be an interesting series. Biyombo and Valanciunas are big enough to rebound with OKC and Lowry/Derozan are the middle class version of Westbrook/KD. Unfortunately, unless the Love injury is something serious, I still think the Cavs advance. After beating a 67 win team then moving on to dismantle a 73 win team the Thunder's confidence is going to be at an all time high. They should be favored going into the Finals regardless who they face.

To the OP's question, the Spurs had a better roster to handle OKC on paper. Between Pop's unwillingness to change the bench rotation and Tim's decline the Spurs fell short. I can empathize with the angry feelings towards the officials, but the Spurs had a great chance to win Game 2 and 5 in spite of the refs. Game 5 was more disappointing because the Spurs couldn't score down the stretch. Offensive possession after offensive possession of an ineffective Tony Parker sealed the Spurs fate. After the first game the Thunder out rebounded the Spurs by an average of 10 rebounds per game. Just not good enough.

It is cathartic to see Draymond be the biggest negative on this Warriors team.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Golden State is massively overrated. I'm guilty of overrating them like everyone else, but playoff basketball has a funny way of reminding us what actually works in the post-season. The teams who rebound the ball better and dominate the points-in-the-paint will be the teams that have the best chance of winning the championship. The Thunder do those two very crucial things a bit better than the Spurs and much better than the Warriors.

Tristan Thompson and Mozgov really gave GS problems last year, and I think Golden State might've lost the series had the Cavs been fully healthy.

Wardell and Co, have the next 3 games to prove us wrong, but right now, they're looking like the SSOL Suns: Impressive regular season team with a style of play that is unsustainable in the post-season. Unlike those Suns, they were lucky to sneak in a le due to injuries and/or chokes (Spurs would've probably beaten them last season, but per par, we on ourselves).
    A bunch of revisionist history right here. If rebounding and points in the paint were all that mattered, the Grizzlies would have a ring or two by now. A team can absolutely shoot well enough to overcome deficiencies in other areas, and the reason the Grizz never truly threatened for a le is because their piss-poor outside shooting did them in.

And these Warriors play far better defense than those SOL Suns ever did.

You made a good point here:

What sucks is that if Golden State loses this series, it'll be excused with "Curry was injured," but many star players have lead their teams to les at 75%. Problem with Curry's game is that it basically requires him to be 100% healthy. Tony had similar issues. A 90% healthy Tony would only be 60% of the player. Curry scales the same way.
    I agree that Curry's injury is having a large impact on the Warriors. They don't play as a defense-first team, so when the offense fails to wear out the opposing team they get uncomfortable.

But in that case, you can't use two bad games by the Warriors (with a less-than-100% Curry) to completely invalidate their style of play and the fact that they won a le and 140 regular season games in 2 years. Seems like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We played stronger D, plus we were robbed in Game 2 and 4 at the end. Regardless, we lost.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Of course Kerr's going to say that, coming up on a must win he doesn't want to give his team an excuse to blow the game.
    Curry didn't look injured when he scored 40 points (16-32, 17 in OT) and dished out 8 assists in a game 5 win at Portland and he certainly didn't look injured when he scored 29 points (10-20) and dished out 11 assists in game 6 series clincher vs Portland. He's NOT injured. He's just playing better compe ion that happens to have two wing defenders (not named Green and Leonard) with athleticism that have been able to slow him down. He's struggling to shoot over the top of Durant and he can't get to the rim and finish against Westbrook.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As were the Thunder.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 2014 Spurs were way better than the 2014 Thunder, they mopped the floor with them in Games 1, 2, and 5, and then destroyed them in Game 6 in OT. The 2016 Thunder kicked the ever living out of the Spurs in the closeout Game 6 and in the fourth quarter of Game 4. The Spurs lucked into winning Game 3 when Westrbrook and Durant made stupid turnovers to throw the game away. The only impressive game the Spurs played the entire 2016 series was Game 1.
    But, but ibaka was hurt

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curry didn't look injured when he scored 40 points (16-32, 17 in OT) and dished out 8 assists in a game 5 win at Portland and he certainly didn't look injured when he scored 29 points (10-20) and dished out 11 assists in game 6 series clincher vs Portland. He's NOT injured. He's just playing better compe ion that happens to have two wing defenders (not named Green and Leonard) with athleticism that have been able to slow him down. He's struggling to shoot over the top of Durant and he can't get to the rim and finish against Westbrook.
    Pretty much this. To follow this up Curry had 28 points in game 2 on 9/15 shooting. He's fine from what I can tell from his movements on the court. He's able to do his crossovers and lateral movements which is something he wouldn't be able to do if he was injured. Curry is using the injury card to cover up getting embarrassed by Westbrook. A lot of great players play the injury card when they get humiliated in a series. I remember Shaq and Kobe making up injuries after the Spurs eliminated them in '03 just to cover up the embarrassment Duncan inflicted on them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think if the Spurs and Thunder were to play another series right now the Thunder would win in 5. No matter what, Spurs weren't going to have any answer for the size of Adams/Kanter without changes to the roster.

This Warriors series really solidifies that the Thunder were the better team.
    that ref rape over and over thats the story! I'm even shocked to say the refs are ing the warriors too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC is still a very stupid team. If anything they beat us because of their athleticism. What pisses me off is that the Spurs should have won that series. Our players simple choked and so did our coach. We lost 2 games by what? A combined 5 points? Not to mention the ref factor.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Pretty much this. To follow this up Curry had 28 points in game 2 on 9/15 shooting. He's fine from what I can tell from his movements on the court. He's able to do his crossovers and lateral movements which is something he wouldn't be able to do if he was injured. Curry is using the injury card to cover up getting embarrassed by Westbrook. A lot of great players play the injury card when they get humiliated in a series. I remember Shaq and Kobe making up injuries after the Spurs eliminated them in '03 just to cover up the embarrassment Duncan inflicted on them.
    Curry missed a couple of uncontested layups & couldn't shake off Adams. If he is 100% then he's just shook or worn out from guarding WestBrick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA is fake

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    OKC is still a very stupid team. If anything they beat us because of their athleticism. What pisses me off is that the Spurs should have won that series. Our players simple choked and so did our coach. We lost 2 games by what? A combined 5 points? Not to mention the ref factor.
    Pop would have made Kerr seem like prime Phil Jackson & Softridge would have been getting punked by GayMond/Bogut.

OKC is beating the Duds in transition, by attacking Curry & shutting down Gaymond by switching along disrupting the Duds offense w/ their length, none of which the Spurs could do effectively. Pop would have been trying to beat them in a grind it out half-court game which would have meant layup drills for the Duds b/c the Spurs would have no rim protectors & the Duds would have been able to setup their defense. The Duds also wouldn't commit as many turnovers w/ Porky/LMA/Diaw playing turnstile defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop would have made Kerr seem like prime Phil Jackson & Softridge would have been getting punked by GayMond/Bogut.

OKC is beating the Duds in transition, by attacking Curry & shutting down Gaymond by switching, none of which the Spurs could do effectively. Pop would have been trying to beat them in a grind it out half-court game which would have meant layup drills for the Duds b/c the Spurs would have no rim protectors & the Duds would have been able to setup their defense.
    Where in my post did I mention the Dubs? I was talking about beating OKC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A bunch of revisionist history right here. If rebounding and points in the paint were all that mattered, the Grizzlies would have a ring or two by now. A team can absolutely shoot well enough to overcome deficiencies in other areas, and the reason the Grizz never truly threatened for a le is because their piss-poor outside shooting did them in.

And these Warriors play far better defense than those SOL Suns ever did.

You made a good point here:

I agree that Curry's injury is having a large impact on the Warriors. They don't play as a defense-first team, so when the offense fails to wear out the opposing team they get uncomfortable.

But in that case, you can't use two bad games by the Warriors (with a less-than-100% Curry) to completely invalidate their style of play and the fact that they won a le and 140 regular season games in 2 years. Seems like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
    Key phrase "Best Chance".

It's rare for teams that lack an inside offensive presence (whether that inside scoring presence is a penetrator or post player), an inside defensive presence, and rebounding to win the le. The exceptions off the top of my head are the 2011 Mavs (they still had Chandler, who was a great paint anchor during that run. Dirk also played more in the post, as well) and the 2015 Warriors.

There's no "revisionist history" here. Name all the teams that won les who weren't above average in those three areas?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curry missed a couple of uncontested layups & couldn't shake off Adams. If he is 100% then he's just shook or worn out from guarding WestBrick.
    This is what I think is going on. Westbrook has him rattled mentally and has destroyed his confidence. Curry missed a few free throws in this game which is rare since he shoots above 90 percent from the line which shows he's shook.

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If any team can come back from 3-1 it's this Warriors team. With that said, OKC looks like it has put all the pieces together and it would take an epic breakdown for them to choke away three games in a row.

The thing I saw in the Spurs series was the OKC role players find their confidence. 2014 was so special because Green/Mills/Splitter/Bobo/Marco et al were playing great at the same time. When guys like Roberson are contributing offensively and Waiters is knocking down clutch shots it makes OKC great. On top of that, the Thunder found a great coach in Donovan. When every team in the league was focusing on getting small enough to defeat the Warriors he valued rebounding and protecting the rim. We had to listen to pundits talk about how D Bag Green was the future of NBA bigs and Donovan is proving all of them wrong in two playoff series.

I believe both the Raptors and Cavs are better equipped from a roster standpoint to compete against the Thunder. The Raptors would be an interesting series. Biyombo and Valanciunas are big enough to rebound with OKC and Lowry/Derozan are the middle class version of Westbrook/KD. Unfortunately, unless the Love injury is something serious, I still think the Cavs advance. After beating a 67 win team then moving on to dismantle a 73 win team the Thunder's confidence is going to be at an all time high. They should be favored going into the Finals regardless who they face.

To the OP's question, the Spurs had a better roster to handle OKC on paper. Between Pop's unwillingness to change the bench rotation and Tim's decline the Spurs fell short. I can empathize with the angry feelings towards the officials, but the Spurs had a great chance to win Game 2 and 5 in spite of the refs. Game 5 was more disappointing because the Spurs couldn't score down the stretch. Offensive possession after offensive possession of an ineffective Tony Parker sealed the Spurs fate. After the first game the Thunder out rebounded the Spurs by an average of 10 rebounds per game. Just not good enough.

It is cathartic to see Draymond be the biggest negative on this Warriors team.
    Well put

This^ tbh. Big bodies and length has always bothered Curry and the Worriers. This is no surprise. From the Bucks to the Nets to the Pistons to OKC they all have tons of it and love to pound the paint. Unlike the Spurs, they all gave the Worriers real problems during the regular season. Granted, OKC lost all 3 games but not before leading by double digits and melting down in the 4th.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    This is what I think is going on. Westbrook has him rattled mentally and has destroyed his confidence. Curry missed a few free throws in this game which is rare since he shoots above 90 percent from the line which shows he's shook.
    So I guess he has Tony Porker-itis

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Where in my post did I mention the Dubs? I was talking about beating OKC.
    What the point of beating OKC if they can't beat the Duds?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 2014 Heat were ranked 24th in defensive rebounding percentage. The Spurs were ranked 4th. Those Heat always had trouble stopping players in the post, which is why Spoelstra conceived of that swarming defense to compensate for their lack of size. And in 2013, Parker was chewing them up with penetration (Danny and Neal got all those great looks off Parker penetration) until he strained the hamstring.

Of course GS is better than the SSOL Suns, but some of the flaws are similar in how both teams relied on pace and long range shooting in lieu of controlling the paint.
    The Heat should of 3-peated,but it was 2011 they blew,not 2014.

Thread Information