Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Klay Thompson is an elite level scorer. Kawhi is not. Kawhi is the better overall player. However scoring wise, lets put this in perspective. Kawhi has never in his career scored 40 points in a game. Thompson has scored 37 in a quarter...
    That's because he takes so many 3's. If Kawhi took more 3's he could do the same. He needs to take more instead of those long 2's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL all you homer fans, insist to ignore the resilience part when comparing between the two, Kawhi can't be the better player because lack of resilience, which Kawhi is the star player with the most lack of resilience where every time things getting tough he desapeer...

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    LOL all you homer fans, insist to ignore the resilience part when comparing between the two, Kawhi can't be the better player because lack of resilience, which Kawhi is the star player with the most lack of resilience where every time things getting tough he desapeer...
    You must have missed Klay Thompson during last year's Finals

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SAS said the same about Kawhi being the best two way player in the game after game 3 in OKC.

Hopefully he doesn't jix Klay now...

SAS overstating something? My take: Kawhi is a small forward and he can guard 1-4 positions and is a great rebounder for his position. Thompson is a shooting guard and he can't guard the best small forwards on the block. They only have him guarding shooting guards and point guards that Curry can't handle. How many great shooting guards are there? And if there aren't good small forwards, doesn't Igudola end up guarding the better shooting guards as well? And I don't think Thompson can guard Kawhi in the post, but I do think Thompson won't score 30 points and hit so many threes if he has Kawhi guarding him.

Better is so hard to measure. Would the Spurs be better with Klay at the two rather than Kawhi at the 3/4? Would GS be better w/ Kawhi at the 3/4 rather than Thompson? I say Kawhi w/ Warriors would be unbeatable in that swap.
    In fact, Kawhi in the post against Thompson -and even Iguodala- was the only one thing that worked on Spurs offense against Warriors at the Oracle this regular season.

On the other end, Klay always looked bad against Kawhi, and Danny.

This season against the Spurs 33 minutes 13.5 points

Kawhi this season against GSW 34 minutes 19.3 points

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Warriors have 3 players that are arguably better than Kawhi

NBA= ed

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Klay is the king of assisted field goals. Led league in assisted FG this year. 8.9 catch and shoot attempts per game with Crowder / Aminu / Love / Ibaka / Re / Bradley the only others above 6.0. Saw somewhere he took 43% of his shots without a defender within 6 feet compared to Wade at 26%. That's a credit to team plus his elite shooting.

Fifth lowest assist ratio among shooting guards (9.2) behind only Morrow, Kilpatrick, Wiggins and Re . People here complain about Kawhi's passing but he was at a solid 12.2 - middle of pack for SFs. And Kawhi had a much lower turnover rate at 6.9 vs. 7.7. He's a one trick pony offensively.

Rebounding-wise - measure of a two way player - Klay was middle of pack at 6.2% of total rebounds. Kawhi's is near the top of SFs at 11.8 - tied with Lebron and slightly behind Durant, Greek Freak and Melo.

Klay had a negative dRPM (-0.69). Kawhi's was 7th in the league at 4.03, and the best non C/PF. Only guy above 3.0 both oRPM and dRPM.

Who guards the opponent's best player? Iggy. Is Klay one of the best shooters we've seen? Yes. But run of the mill outside of that.

But guess Steven A. is right

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Klay Thompson is an elite level scorer. Kawhi is not. Kawhi is the better overall player. However scoring wise, lets put this in perspective. Kawhi has never in his career scored 40 points in a game. Thompson has scored 37 in a quarter...
    Klay Thompson is the best catch-and-shoot guy in the league that happens to plays very good defense while Kawhi is the best defender in the league that happens to be a very good scorer. Kawhi is actually better at finishing at the rim, creating his own shots off the dribble & posting up.

In any case, Kawhi had the best offensive season for an elite defender: Is the only player in NBA HISTORY to post a defensive rating of 96 & an offensive rating of at least 121 (min. 30 MPG): http://bkref.com/tiny/D7NV6

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Klay is the king of assisted field goals. Led league in assisted FG this year. 8.9 catch and shoot attempts per game with Crowder / Aminu / Love / Ibaka / Re / Bradley the only others above 6.0. Saw somewhere he took 43% of his shots without a defender within 6 feet compared to Wade at 26%. That's a credit to team plus his elite shooting.

Fifth lowest assist ratio among shooting guards (9.2) behind only Morrow, Kilpatrick, Wiggins and Re . People here complain about Kawhi's passing but he was at a solid 12.2 - middle of pack for SFs. And Kawhi had a much lower turnover rate at 6.9 vs. 7.7. He's a one trick pony offensively.

Rebounding-wise - measure of a two way player - Klay was middle of pack at 6.2% of total rebounds. Kawhi's is near the top of SFs at 11.8 - tied with Lebron and slightly behind Durant, Greek Freak and Melo.

Klay had a negative dRPM (-0.69). Kawhi's was 7th in the league at 4.03, and the best non C/PF. Only guy above 3.0 both oRPM and dRPM.

Who guards the opponent's best player? Iggy. Is Klay one of the best shooters we've seen? Yes. But run of the mill outside of that.

But guess Steven A. is right

This is the bitter truth Warriors fans are cool with but yet the SA fanbase stubbornly refuses to embrace for some reason. I don't get it?
    Well, there is a difference, Kawhi is the best Spurs player and Pop already called him the face of the franchise, while Klay is the 2nd best player on his team.

NBA= ed
    Just MVP Curry, but it's worrisome that Curry-Klay-Draymond are under 28, while Kawhi's the only elite Spur under 25.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In any case, Kawhi had the best offensive season for an elite defender: Is the only player in NBA HISTORY to post a defensive rating of 96 & an offensive rating of at least 121 (min. 30 MPG): http://bkref.com/tiny/D7NV6
    Impressive numbers like his FG/3P/FTs shooting this regular season.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    One thing is for sure, Klay doesn't want any part of Kawhi after he put him in a straightjacket in 2013 when Pop made the switch (Danny/Curry; Kawhi/Klay; Porker/Barnes) following his Gm 2 explosion.

He also completely dominated the Splash s last season in the "Kawhi" game & has outplayed Klay in every game this season including losses despite Klay being guarded by Porker/Fatty on switches:

Shutting down Klay:

Remember when Marco busted Klay at the Oracle:

Kawhi busting Iggy at the Oracle w/o the Big 3:

Duds getting owned w/o Timmay:

Kawhi w/ the dagger at the Whoracle:

Last edited by Kawhitstorm; 05-30-2016 at 03:17 PM.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only thing Klay leads KL in is field goal attempts. Kawhi has never in his career taken more than 25 shots in a game. Kawhi's efficiency rating is elite. Klay sits at 66th in the league.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    The only thing Klay leads KL in is field goal attempts. Kawhi has never in his career taken more than 25 shots in a game. Kawhi's efficiency rating is elite. Klay sits at 66th in the league.
    Not to mention Kawhi has OUTSCORED Klay in the past FIVE meetings: http://bkref.com/tiny/dn0pJ

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You must have missed Klay Thompson during last year's Finals
    Better than emberesing first round exit and mat Barnes ing on you, Kawhi fall under the pressure more than anyone...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Casual fans and their love for counting stats.

To put it into context for those unable to grasp anything but simple math, Klay needed 1,386 shot attempts to score 1,771 points (385 more points than attempts, or 1.28 points per shot).

Kawhi needed just 1,090 to score 1,523 points (433 more points than attempts, or 1.40 points per shot).

Yes, Kawhi's stats are helped by getting to the free throw line much more (100 more points at line), but remove points scored by free throws and you're still at nearly identical 1.14 for Klay and 1.13 for Kawhi. Very different degrees of difficulty with their shots, though.

As a basis of comparison, Clay scored 10.3 catch & shoot vs. 3.9 pull-up PPG this year. Curry was 10.6 vs. 7.2 in the other direction. Now tell me who's the focal point vs. being a system player, albeit a great shooter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do you keep having those debates? Nothing of this is relevant cause we all know Kawhi will keep fall under the pressure in real time...

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Better than emberesing first round exit and mat Barnes ing on you, Kawhi fall under the pressure more than anyone...
    I guess it's better than getting outplayed by JR Smith during the latter part of the Finals despite JR being atrocious in that series.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no credible argument for Thompson being as good as, let alone better than Leonard. But like the vast majority of old school media types, Smith has both an elementary understanding and antiquated view of the game.

Essentially, everything comes down to how much a player scores and how they carry themselves. He's never liked the Spurs because they're not "black" enough for him and despite Leonard's appearance, he's no different.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeez, it's not that hard to figure out.

The defensive end isn't even worth talking about. Klay is a good defender, Kawhi is a great defender. There aren't many of those. Nobody suggests that Klay is in the same class defensively, unless they are just trying to be controversial. It is worth noting that Kawhi pulls down 10.6 total rebounds and 1.5 blocks per 100 Possessions, while Kyle gets just 5.5 boards and .9 blocks per 100 Possessions. But that doesn't even come close to showing how much more of a defensive difference maker Kawhi is.

So how about the offensive end?
    Kawhi shot 35% of his shots from inside 10 feet this season. His FGA from 0-3 feet was .730, and from 3-10 feet he shot .472.
    Klay shot only 27% of his shots from inside 10 feet. His FGA from 0-3 feet was .687, and .336 from 3-10 feet.
    So Kawhi spends a lot more of his time around the rim, being closely guarded, but he still manages to make a much higher percentage of his close shots than Kyle.

47% of Klay's shots were 3-pointers, and he shot .425 from outside.
    Only 27% of Kawhi's shots were 3-pointers, but he shot .443.
    If you asked the average fan, most would guess that Klay shot 3-pointers the best... but they would be wrong. Being on the Spurs, Kawhi doesn't shoot as many, but he makes more of his.

Here's a fun one:
    72% of Klay's 2-point shots are assisted, and 92% of his 3-point shots are assisted.
    Meanwhile, only 45% of Kawhi's 2-point shots are assisted, and 86% of his 3-point shots are assisted.
    So Kawhi shoots higher percentages than Klay, AND he creates more of his own shots.

How about getting to the rack?
    Kawhi made 64 dunks this season - about 6% of his FGA's were dunks.
    Klay made just 16 dunks, which was just 1.6% of his FGA's.
    So which one is more explosive around the rim?

It doesn't matter what category you want to talk about. AST's? Blocks? FTA's? Kawhi is better... much better... at all of them. The only offensive areas where Klay excels over Kawhi are the fact that he takes a lot more 3-pointers, and he's on a team full of shooters that get him a lot more open looks. Their EFG% are virtually identical, even though Klay shoots a LOT more 3-pointers. Klay is a shooter. Kawhi is a creator. Smith knows the difference. He just gets paid to generate controversy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Klay scored 37 in a quarter, kawhi has never scored 35 in a game.

As the number one option these playoffs(when Steph was out) he averaged like 30 ppg. Has Kawhi ever had back to back 30 point games? ing lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess it's better than getting outplayed by JR Smith during the latter part of the Finals despite JR being atrocious in that series.
    Let me think, le, first round exit... I think causing your team an emberesing first round exit is worst...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Klay Thompson is an elite level scorer.
    No he's not. First and foremost he's a ing spot-up shooter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah so? Put into perspective. Kawhi has never put up 40 points in his whole career. Thompson has put up 37 in a single quarter. He is more than just a shooter like Danny Green. He can score by driving and on floaters. It just so happens that shooting is his forte.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Klay "Best two-way player" Thompson doesn't even guard WestBrick full-time. He usually switches onto him in the 2nd half/4th quarter but Curry has been sharing the workload. When Duds go small w/ Livingston instead of Barnes, they put Klay on Ibaka & Livingston on WestBrick. On the offense end, he doesn't have to create his own shots b/c they have a motion offense & multiple playmakers along w/ the best gravity guy in the history of the league.

Facts: When Klay is guarding WestBrick OKC has an offensive rating of 119.9 (115 vs. Curry & 100 vs. Iggy).
    -Trivia at 32 minutes mark: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=15773632&s=espn

Klay vs. OKC:
    -25/4/2/1 (TS%: 54.8, ORtg: 105, DRtg: 111--> Net: -6)

WestBrick vs. Duds:
    -28/7/11/4 (TS%: 52.1, ORtg: 111, DRtg: 103, Net-->+8)

Vs.

Kawhi vs. OKC:
    -23.2/7/4/2 (TS%: 55.4, ORtg: 109, DRtg: 105--> Net: +4)

WestBrick vs. Spurs
    -25/6/10/2 (TS%: 47.9, ORtg: 105, DRtg: 107--> Net: -2)

So, Kawhi has a BETTER TS% despite Klay's Gm 6 explosion & Kawhi having to guard WestBrick for 40 minutes along w/ scoring off mainly of ISO plays unlike Klay.

Plus, WestBrick has been more efficient against the Duds despite them having more plus defenders than the Spurs.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Klay scored 37 in a quarter, kawhi has never scored 35 in a game.

As the number one option these playoffs(when Steph was out) he averaged like 30 ppg. Has Kawhi ever had back to back 30 point games? ing lol
    Klay average 30 ppg against a team w/ the tiest perimeter defenders: CJ/Lillard. They were responsible for making Porker seem like PRIME Nash during he regular season:

Besides, Michael Redd once made 8 threes & scored 26 in a quarter so I guess he must be better than Pippen who never scored 26 in a half.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that since Kawhi shoots 3s so well, the Spurs should significantly increase his number of 3 point shots. Just a couple more threes per game added to his improving overall game, and he'd easily average 26-28ppg. Add that to his D, and you've got an MVP.
    I agree plus I think its less taxing physically and fits better with LMA. LMA therefore needs to develop a better inside game and passing out of it.

Thread Information