Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Klay is able to change games with his shooting since he's such a good shooter but there's multiple ways to take over games. For Kawhi to goto the next level he needs to be able to take over games and win them. It doesn't mean he plays hero ball but he makes the other guys better.
    For Kawhi to make "other guys better", he would have to be surrounded by guys that can actually make shots (see LeBron's teammates) & Pop would have to let him be a playmaker instead of letting Porker run the show.

Kawhi makes a concerted effort to find Danny when he drives & kicks but otherwise Pop doesn't let him run PnRs w/ LMA nor bring up the ball. There have been times where he get doubled & Porker is the outlet except he isn't a shooter. For example, at the end of Gm 5 Porker bricked 2 WIDE open shots that basically swung the series when OKC was daring anyone to beat them except Kawhi.

If Porker can't make wide open mid-range shots then he's unless when Kawhi plays point-forward b/c he can't catch & get to the rim any longer, which is what happened to him on one of the play in Gm 5 against OKC. Patty was also useless against OKC so basically the team had two unplayable point guards in a league where it's the most valuable position. (If Manu was in 2014 form then he might have been able to mitigate it but alas, he's 38)

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Curry was the best Westbrook-defender in this series, btw
    Actually, it was Iggy but he didn't guard him much. Although, he ripped him on the most critical sequence of the series:

2:06.0 A. Iguodala makes 2-pt shot from 1 ft +2 101-101
    1:40.0 101-101 Turnover by R. Westbrook (lost ball; steal by A. Iguodala)
    1:35.0 K. Thompson makes 3-pt shot from 25 ft (assist by A. Iguodala) +3 104-101

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kwahi is a better all-around player and more consistent. He had three great games stretch vs LeBron in 2014 finals, didn't destroy LeBron in these three games, but canceled him out completely. And whenever he cancels out opposing team's #1 option, Spurs win automatically. He is a better core player to build around.

Klay has higher one-game ceiling. 37 in a quarter, 11 3-pointers in the toughest game of the Steve Kerr era where he was the most dominant player on the court. He is comparable to Ginobili on the classic GDP big three teams. When you are desperate, he steps up and delivers a game far above his average games and gets you over the finish line. You can not build around him, but with his lack of ego, the perfect player next to a MVP.

Seriously Splash Brothers is the most amazing backcourt in NBA history. Can you name Jordan/Kobe's point guards? How about Stockton/Nash/Kidd/Payton's shooting guards? All blue collar grunts. Klay would have been first team all-NBA if shooting guard still has its own slot like center does, he and Curry's games are perfect for each other.
    I think the Spurs need another 3 and D point guard that Kawhi and LMA can play off. TP is not going to cut it and Mills is too small defensively.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Roberson couldn't inflict his will on Klay, tbh..

Klay > Kiwi

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi need diaper in a playoff game, we all know that with Kawhi lead team we will lose every series against any appropriate opponent...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are you so stupid, man?

Even with the last two "failures," Kawhi still has a NBA championship, Finals MVP, and two Finals appearances to his credit.

Get out of here with your stupid takes.
    You are stupid for keeping ignore the reality and overrating Kawhi

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Kawhi need diaper in a playoff game, we all know that with Kawhi lead team we will lose every series against any appropriate opponent...
    This guy would lead the Spurs to world domination:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Go back to talk you y takes, lol preferring thunder over clippers!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what the ? have you ever watched Klay Thompson prior to this playoff run? He literally never even had an average playoff run in his career in 4 attempts..he was probably the biggest playoff under-performer in the NBA among All-Star caliber players, despite rarely having to create for himself..
    Stop talking ball please! Everything you saying and predict becoming totally bs ever!!!

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Roberson couldn't inflict his will on Klay, tbh..

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Go back to talk you y takes, lol preferring thunder over clippers!
    They both blew a 3-1 lead but only the Cripples are chokers despite their team being the one w/ the hobbled star point guard!

So, who's the tallest midget...........?

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Stop talking ball please! Everything you saying and predict becoming totally bs ever!!!
    Please, go gas yourself in the chamber. You won't be missed nor your nonsensical troll job.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Klay wasn't even that good in this series, but the prisoner of the moment media will of course hype up his Game 6 bail out job.

He shot .415 for the series, had -6 ORTG/DRTG spread, was outrebounded by his point guard who is probably playing on a bad knee , didn't do any playmaking. We should actually be talking about Klay Thompson being one of the reasons the Warriors aren't advancing, but the Thunder pulled one of the all-time great chokejobs, so the only game of his that will be remembered was his 41 point breakout (and he needed 31 shots. Still not bad efficiency, but it wasn't an "all time great" offensive performance by any means).

got Raymond also comes out of this squeaky clean, when he was terrible the entire series.

Meanwhile, Kawhi is having to carry the perimeter offense by himself, since none of our in role perimeter players are capable of scoring double digits for two games in a row.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that isn't a Spurstalk Homer opinion, I don't know what is.

Klay >>>> KL on offense. If it wasn't for Curry ballhogging, Klay would have multiple 50 point games and would average 30
    Other than field goal attempts, I'll be waiting for a list of offensive stats you can come up with to back that up. Leonard is top five in efficiency rating. Seriously, it's not even close. Taking a bunch of jumpers doesn't make up for that. It just doesn't. I'll take consistency over streaky every day of the week.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, it was Iggy but he didn't guard him much. Although, he ripped him on the most critical sequence of the series:

2:06.0 A. Iguodala makes 2-pt shot from 1 ft +2 101-101
    1:40.0 101-101 Turnover by R. Westbrook (lost ball; steal by A. Iguodala)
    1:35.0 K. Thompson makes 3-pt shot from 25 ft (assist by A. Iguodala) +3 104-101
    If this is from game 6, I think that was the play where Iggy grabbed Westbrooks elbow. It was a missed call fwiw

keep asking questions George Gervin's Afro's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    meh... Thompson playing lights out right now.. and it's an easy argument to make to be honest

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other than field goal attempts, I'll be waiting for a list of offensive stats you can come up with to back that up. Leonard is top five in efficiency rating. Seriously, it's not even close. Taking a bunch of jumpers doesn't make up for that. It just doesn't. I'll take consistency over streaky every day of the week.
    KL has been a scorer for one year. Bet you 20 bucks that Thompson has a higher career PPG and FG% at the end of their careers.

It's like saying some big (D12 for example) regularly shoots 4/5 from the field so he's better offensively than a guy who averages 20. You can't extrapolate efficiency with being able to be a first option. KL will never be a reliable first option because he just can't generate all those points on his own. He's a damn sold 2nd banana though. Just look at how he deferred to TP in game 6, and got his team eliminated. And then look at what Klay did when the MVP wasn't doing a damn thing and his team was down 3-1 and 3-2.

Put it this way. If Leonard gets 25 in a game he's awesome here. If Klay gets 27 in a game in the bay, he didn't do enough most likely. 30-40 is where he's been in the playoffs. Just look at the stats.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KL has been a scorer for one year. Bet you 20 bucks that Thompson has a higher career PPG and FG% at the end of their careers.

It's like saying some big (D12 for example) regularly shoots 4/5 from the field so he's better offensively than a guy who averages 20. You can't extrapolate efficiency with being able to be a first option. KL will never be a reliable first option because he just can't generate all those points on his own. He's a damn sold 2nd banana though. Just look at how he deferred to TP in game 6, and got his team eliminated. And then look at what Klay did when the MVP wasn't doing a damn thing and his team was down 3-1 and 3-2.

Put it this way. If Leonard gets 25 in a game he's awesome here. If Klay gets 27 in a game in the bay, he didn't do enough most likely. 30-40 is where he's been in the playoffs. Just look at the stats.
    have you ever watched Klay Thompson prior to this playoff run, tbh?

His scoring numbers vs. OKC(the only decent team he played against in these playoffs) were virtually the same as Kawhi's vs. OKC, despite having Curry's gravity..

Thompson vs. OKC: 24.7 PPG on 54.5% TS
    Kawhi vs. OKC: 23.2 PPG on 55.4% TS

The scoring numbers are virtually the same, despite Kawhi creating way more for himself, and also being asked to do much more(Thompson doesn't do anything outside of score and occasionally defend, where he's a little above average)..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi is better and still improving. I believe next season we will finally see him take over games when he needs to offfensivley.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

Klay has inferior numbers than Michael Redd through ~400 games of their career & Redd was just as efficient despite Klay having played his entire career w/ Curry thus had the benefit of "gravity" & wasn't the primary focus of the defense: http://bkref.com/tiny/umr6q (they both have negative DBPMs:)

I never heard anyone saying Michael Redd is an "all-time" great & he was also All-NBA 3rd team just like Klay.

This debate reminds me of when folks used to say Glen Rice was better than Pippen in the mid-90s after Rice came into the spotlight in the '97 All-Star game w/ Jordan in the building:

He also beat the best 3 point shooter of his era in a shootout:

Pippen can't do this:

What actually happened when they faced each other :

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    have you ever watched Klay Thompson prior to this playoff run, tbh?

His scoring numbers vs. OKC(the only decent team he played against in these playoffs) were virtually the same as Kawhi's vs. OKC, despite having Curry's gravity..

Last edited by Kawhitstorm; 05-31-2016 at 01:57 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Klay has inferior numbers than Michael Redd through ~400 games of their career & Redd was just as efficient despite Klay having played his entire career w/ Curry thus had the benefit of "gravity" & wasn't the primary focus of the defense: http://bkref.com/tiny/umr6q (they both have negative DBPMs:)

I never heard anyone saying Michael Redd is an "all-time" great & he was also All-NBA 3rd team just like Klay.

Maybe if you had watched, rather than getting your info off some website. Michael Redd was a ing scoring machine for several years, until he got hurt. Of course nobody talks about him being "one of the best", since he only had three prime seasons beyond his rookie contract because of injury. And nobody ever included him in ANY discussions about being a great two-way player - which is what this thread is about.

But, hey, great non sequitur argument. I mean, if I'm ever in need of a totally meaningless comparison, I'll come looking for you first.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Maybe if you had watched, rather than getting your info off some website. Michael Redd was a ing scoring machine for several years, until he got hurt. Of course nobody talks about him being "one of the best", since he only had three prime seasons beyond his rookie contract because of injury. And nobody ever included him in ANY discussions about being a great two-way player - which is what this thread is about.
    Way to take it out of context, my point wasn't that Michael Redd was trash but that if Klay played on the Bucks then NOBODY would be calling him the best "two-way" player besides his defense is OVERRATED!

BTW, Michael Redd was a a more VERSATILE scorer than Klay which is something you can't always discern from looking at stats "off some website" but rather from IN' WATCHING him play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Klay is a shooter. Kawhi is a scorer. None of the rest of the people are slinging means anything. Klay gets right at 50% of his points out on the 3P line, with someone else assisting. Nothing wrong with that - it's what shooters do. Kawhi only gets 25% of his points beyond the arc, and the rest he's mostly getting for himself - and in the process getting other players better looks.

You people who want to crown some guy king because of a single playoff run have some very selective memories. This year... this ing playoffs... Klay has had games where he has shot: 4-14, 7-20, 7-20, 7-18, 5-17, 8-21, and 7-19. That's the kind of you people want to crucify Kawhi for. You say he hasn't done enough if he doesn't score at least 27 in a game? Well then he's under-performed in 9 of their 17 playoff games so far. See, that's the problem. You remember the good performances, and tell yourself that he does it every night. He doesn't.

BTW- Klay's rebounding in these playoffs? He's had games of 3,2,3,3,1,2,2, and 1. Klay rarely has more than 5 boards, while Kawhi rarely has less. So Klay releases and heads up the floor for easy buckets, while Kawhi stays on the other end wrestling with giants for rebounds, and then grinding out his shots on the other end. If you don't understand what that does to scoring numbers, you don't understand about the game, and you shouldn't even be in the discussion.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely . I think that all around players are 100 times better than scorers only. I think that the NBA is filled with players who ARE NOT the best at this sport. The difference between KL and Klay is that, and I rarely watch the Warriors, when I watch the warriors play, I see him hit BIG SHOTS when needed. I watch the spurs A LOT. I see KL hit some great shots. I see KL make some AWESOME Defensive plays. But I don't see him TAKE OVER. I don't see him make these plays at a high rate when needed.

Like Game 6 of the Warriors/Thunder - Thompson hit like 8 BIG TIME shots. More in that Game than KL did all series. He's the quietest "scorer" Ive ever seen. And I don't mean "no Flash" He can do it - no doubt - he just doesn't. Thompson does.
    Of course they're the best in the world at this sport. It's by far the hardest of the major four leagues to break into, because it's the only truly international sport of the four and it has by far the fewest roster spots. Yeah, it's almost impossible to make it if you're not at least over 6-0, but still.

As far as Leonard, because he's now widely regarded as a top five player, people expect him to be what a prototypical top five player generally is offensively and he's not. He can't create for others or get to the rim like most of them.

He's still easily better than Thompson though, but to the casual fan, it's all about who scores more.

Thread Information