6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I only saw the last three minutes of Game 7 for Games 5-7; but not closing out 3-1 is a choke job is it not? Maybe, someone has a case against? Reffing? Or....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I only saw the last three minutes of Game 7 for Games 5-7; but not closing out 3-1 is a choke job is it not? Maybe, someone has a case against? Reffing? Or....
    They played their asses off but they choked. They failed to execute and lost their nerve when they most needed to keep their composure. I think part of it was fatigue and part of it was selfishness. There was a play where Roberson got a pass from Durant late in the game, was wide open for a three, but choked and passed it off to Waiters. Durant was pissed. I guess that explains the selfishness and lack of trust. Your teammates have to be ready and Roberson wasn't.

I feel bad for the big New Zealander and Wesbrook. They gave everything they had.

Both teams played at a much faster pace and higher level than the Spurs ever reached this year. I have no doubt the Spurs were at least a distant third behind Okc, Warriors and Cleveland. When I think of San Antonio now, I consider them a two man team. They need a lot of work to be Championship ready. We say it all year but the regular season means very little.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thunder played better than the GSW in every aspect other than three point shooting. They didn't choke in game 7, they fought and were compe ive despite an onslaught of threes. It's not like Spurs/Thunder game 6 when the Spurs didn't even show up in the first two quarters. That's a choke.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thunder played better than the GSW in every aspect other than three point shooting. They didn't choke in game 7, they fought and were compe ive despite an onslaught of threes. It's not like Spurs/Thunder game 6 when the Spurs didn't even show up in the first two quarters. That's a choke.

Spurs were shameful in game 6. To be fair, they didn't believe they could win.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Warriors adjusted on a timely basis. Okc have not adjusted timely to the small ball play and probably thought curry is still 50 %. Spurs have a lot of old players and Okc can beat Spurs by their athletic players.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I say; I didn't watch. But I'm a little surprised at how much of a pass ya'll want to give the Thunder. If they were fatigued, that's on the coaches. If they were being selfish and not relying on role players, that's on the stars and the coaches. Choke is a choke.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no doubt the Spurs were at least a distant third behind Okc, Warriors and Cleveland. When I think of San Antonio now, I consider them a two man team. They need a lot of work to be Championship ready. We say it all year but the regular season means very little.

Whatever you do, don't suggest that the Spurs take a year to re-build.

The biggest thing that kept the Spurs from being a legit le contender this season, IMO, was Tim's knee. He was out for those games, and he was never the same when he came back. The Spurs opened up 16-4 in November, and Tim was still hanging right around a double-double almost every night. That team was capable of winning it all. Not long after that, his knee went south, I think, and the team was running up hill the rest of the season. They have a hole in the middle now, and they aren't going to be able to withstand the playoffs until it gets filled. And that's if everything else holds up.

If the Spurs could sign a legitimate big man. And if Boban could accelerate his development to be a legit backup C. And if Tony Parker's game doesn't fall off ANY more between seasons. And if Danny could come back shooting 3's like he did in the playoffs, or a little better. IF all of that happened, the Spurs could still contend next season. Take any one of them away, and they are just another year's playoff fodder. That's a lot of damned "IFs".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They played their asses off but they choked. They failed to execute and lost their nerve when they most needed to keep their composure. I think part of it was fatigue and part of it was selfishness. There was a play where Roberson got a pass from Durant late in the game, was wide open for a three, but choked and passed it off to Waiters. Durant was pissed. I guess that explains the selfishness and lack of trust. Your teammates have to be ready and Roberson wasn't.

I feel bad for the big New Zealander and Wesbrook. They gave everything they had.

Both teams played at a much faster pace and higher level than the Spurs ever reached this year. I have no doubt the Spurs were at least a distant third behind Okc, Warriors and Cleveland. When I think of San Antonio now, I consider them a two man team. They need a lot of work to be Championship ready. We say it all year but the regular season means very little.
    I am with you in the entire assessment.
    I also think they really were gunning to win game 5 on the road, but they had a terrible start which referees helped with bc they got Adams and others in foul trouble really early with ticky tack fouls. Without Adams the PnR with Russ was gone and they had troubles running their offense. That entire game was super exhausting, even to watch, and I don't think they ever recovered from it. It was a definite winnable game bc despite all the whistles in GSW favor, specially early, they were still in that game and GSW didn't have Klay making 11/15 3s like he would go on to make in game 6 and then Curry going off in game 7. Game 5 was the game they needed.

Ppl forget the majority of OKC team is really, really young. Russ and KD are the vets in that team, so the roleplayers caved at times, when they were needed. Waiters was good for them in games they won but he disappeared the last 3 games and they needed him.

Anyways I agree I think they gave everything they had. Russ having all those TO in game 5 in the 3rd Q was damning. He needed to rest a minute or two. Foye or Waiters needed to relieve him but they didn't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The biggest thing that kept the Spurs from being a legit le contender this season, IMO, was Tim's knee. He was out for those games, and he was never the same when he came back. The Spurs opened up 16-4 in November, and Tim was still hanging right around a double-double almost every night. That team was capable of winning it all. Not long after that, his knee went south, I think, and the team was running up hill the rest of the season. They have a hole in the middle now, and they aren't going to be able to withstand the playoffs until it gets filled. And that's if everything else holds up.

If the Spurs could sign a legitimate big man. And if Boban could accelerate his development to be a legit backup C. And if Tony Parker's game doesn't fall off ANY more between seasons. And if Danny could come back shooting 3's like he did in the playoffs, or a little better. IF all of that happened, the Spurs could still contend next season. Take any one of them away, and they are just another year's playoff fodder. That's a lot of damned "IFs".
    I'd be thrilled if the Spurs could sign Pau Gasol and Mike Conley to replace Tim and Tony in the starting lineup. Bring in some young bloods to join Simmons off the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He needed to rest a minute or two. Foye or Waiters needed to relieve him but they didn't.
    Exactly. He needed Donovan to sit him - for at least 3 or 4 minutes of actual time, not game time. Find a moment or two down the stretch. Westbrook lost the ball and his footing several times because I think his legs were turning to jelly and giving out.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This team was still capable of ringing if Kawhi and LMA went next level more consistently. Yes, Tim's health was a big issue, too. I think Westbrook/Curry exposed Parker/Mills as well.

Thread Information